Starting over Looking at 24v instead of 12v

Zakarume
Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭
Ok so lets all start over. I think going 12v was a mistake. I am now wanting to go 24v

Here is my idea so far

1. 4 x 100w Renogy panels. Will go series x2 for 2+ and 2- to Combiner box OR
Connect 2 panels together in series plus other in series and then adding MC4 Branch Connectors and run 1+ and 1- to Combiner box. Want to stay with combiner box for upgrades in future

2. Get the Midnite Kid Charge Controller

3. Need to get a 24v inverter. Need a good recommenation and cheap

4. Wire would be http://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Extension-Connector-LIFETIME-Warranty/dp/B00LOM7K2Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1414801691&sr=8-6&keywords=solar+power+cable+100ft+10+awg
1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Starting over Looking at 24v instead of 12v

This is a good idea. Unless there's a specific need for 12 Volts, avoid it.

You can make two parallel strings of two of those panels in series and connect them with the MC4 'Y' adapters without issue.

However there is a downside: with 400 Watts of panel you'll only be at about 12 Amps @ 24 VDC. That's not a lot of battery charging. As in not enough for a set of GC2's. The good news is that you could have strings of three or even four of these panels, bringing the current potential up to 19 or 25 Amps, either of which would work for a set of GC2's.

Good 24 Volt inverter: lots of them. How many bells and whistles do you want? You can range anywhere from a Samlex 300 Watt 24 Volt at about $150 to an Outback VFX3524 at about $2,000.
  • Zakarume
    Zakarume Solar Expert Posts: 143 ✭✭

GC2'S is? Newb here

Inverter up to 1000 watt. Pure Sine Wave. Price range around $250 if possible.

As of 400 watts 24v. That leaves me room for upgrading

Also if money becomes a issue for me. Can i stay with 30 amp PWM Renogy Charge Controller if it supports 24v
    1460 Watts Solar @24v. 675 AH Battery Bank using 12 6v Trojan T-105. 1 Midnite Classic 150. 1500 Watt 24v Samlex Pure Sine Inverter
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Zakarume wrote: »
    GC2'S is? Newb here

Basic Golf Cart battery: 220 Amp hour 6 Volts.
    Inverter up to 1000 watt. Pure Sine Wave. Price range around $250 if possible.

Well without a built-in charger that would be maybe this 600 Watt unit: http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/sasiwain1/samlex-pst-series-pure-sine-wave-inverters/samlex-pure-sine-wave-inverter-pst-600-24.html

Also don't ignore the possibility of a used Prosine or similar if you can find one. Otherwise a 1kW sine wave is going to set you back closer to $400.
    As of 400 watts 24v. That leaves me room for upgrading

Also if money becomes a issue for me. Can i stay with 30 amp PWM Renogy Charge Controller if it supports 24v

Yes, but remember the limitations. You can only run two panels in series so if you need more than four you should add circuit protection on each panel string (because there would be more than two in parallel then).
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think your ready to buy just yet, but I'll send you a eBay link to Prosine's military version, which you can often find around $400 for 1800 watt, I understand Prosines are somewhat difficult to work on, perhaps it's just hearsay, but something to do with how they seal the electronics to make them more weather resistant. I'm not the electrical guy here so perhaps someone else will chime in...

I would suggest looking on Craigslist and Ebay for an Exeltech XP1100, I picked one up on eBay for $250. The reasoning here is that they will repair and upgrade for a flat $100 if you have a problem, or so NAWS still has posted. Please note both use about 20watts self consumption though the Prosine has a sleep mode. I don't think the Exeltech does so perhaps just turning it off, since this won't be a primary power source, still planning on an office use system?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.