My battery soc

Comments

• gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Re: My battery soc

One other thing. I keep pointing out what I am doing even if it is some kind of change so that I can be called on it if I shouldn't be doing it. I am hoping that people That are smarter and have more experiance then me can look at what I am doing and lead me in a different direction if it is wrong. I take what is said. roll it around in my brain. Then I proceed with a plan of action based on what I thought was ment. Ive been posting my moves incase I got it wrong.
    gww
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

One thing that may be helpful is the way your Trimetric is displaying your data. Talking about your battery in amps and amp hrs is much easier to understand. Mixing in watts and kwh, AC data in watts with battery data is confusing at best, at least for me. If your 100 % soc you have 800 amp hrs @ 48v, ( or should have ). If you remove 400 amp hrs you should be at 50% soc and have the voltage and SG's to support that conclusion. If not, then it easier to track your problem.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    I do have it displayed in amps, I am slowly learning where things are on it. Right now it states that I am at 103% charge and I am plus 27 amps discharged. My plan was that while discharging tomorrow with no charge imput that I would look at the amps from charge now that I am sure where it is at. Thanks for the suggestion. I am at 2.5 hours eq and my low cell has dropped its sg reading and is at 1280 at about 75 degrees f. It is probly hit top and is going down as the temp of the battery rises. I really don't know how long to eq from here.
    gww

PS I did notice one other 1282 cell.
  • gww1

I went ahead and set it for another three hours.
    gww
  • Blackcherry04

You should be able to get it zeroed during the rest period you are going to use before you use any battery power so you have a true 100%. I am with Coot on getting to your basic inverter loads until you get the system function correctly. I am not clear about if your Hot Water Heater is using AC or DC and how you track it's use. It sounds like a checking account without a register that a couple of people write checks on and you get to dump some money in everyday.

Remember, if was easy, everyone would be doing it.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    On the rest helping, I hope so.

Hot water heater in use.

The way it was. I had the absorb voltage set at 61.2 volts. The sun would come out and build the voltage to about 58.5 volts and then the charge controller would actvate a ssr that would allow the power from my sub-panel to get to the hot water heater. This is the sub-panel that my critical loads are on through the inverter. It will start buy turning on like 1 to 3% of the hot water heater draw. As the battery at 58.5 volts started requirering fewer amps or the sun became stronger on the panels, the percent the hot water heater was allowed to increase till eventually it was to 100 % or 2000 watts. The affect is that the battery stays at 58.5 volts for anywhere from an optimistic 30 min till at the most an hour and a half at about the longest. When I hit this voltage the sun is usually still increasing in intensity and I would say an average of 45 min at 58.5 volts before allowing the battery to get to 61.2 which could take 15 more mins to go from 58.5 volts to 61.2 volts.

I have changed the absorb to 60 volts and set the opertunitie load to kick on at 59.5 now. Also, sometimes the hot water is full before absorb has ended which extend absorb ad the sun goes down. Other time if I need a charge I will disable the hot water as the sun goes down so absorb is extended as long as possible. I kind of looked at the high voltage the battery was sitting at as a sort of pre-absorb as even when the hot water kicked in, the battery for that 30 min to an hour and a half was higher then my old absorb rate.

I ran it all day while eq, cause the solar was having no problim doing both and holding eq voltage and still cutting prodution.
    As bill always says, clear as mud, right.
    gww
  • Blackcherry04

Thats fine, with the the heater as a Inverter load, you'll be able to track it's usage with the Trimetric, that was my concern to see if you were using it as a dump load and maybe not counting it accurately. It should be easy for you now, as long as you trust but verify all the data. Your going to be making adjustments all the time, we're going into winter and everything is going to change. Making adjustments on settings out of reason is good, knee jerks just get you in trouble.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    My problim is I am compleetly paranoid. The same thing that is a fix for one battery is the killer from another. The info from the battery makers them selves is contradictory sometimes on the same sheet. I have spent an unbelievable amount of time sitting and watching gauges. How the sun behaves on a certain day. Checking sgs every half hour for days at a time to see how they react to each situation. looking at the turbines compared to the wind. Knowing since I bought it, the battery sgs weren't that good and not knowing if I was helping or hurting with my actions. days of watching, getting the cc's to play well with each other. That makes changing settings scarry cause then you got to watch again to see if it still works as good as it did. I am not complaining but at times feel a bit inept. I really am proud of every success though.

I am retired so the busyness isn't that bad but the mistakes hurt worse cause I don't make as much money as I used to to make up for them.

I still enjoy my little projects and a couple of these forums have made it so this highschool dropout still has a chance of learning and mayby being succesfull. I am the only system I have ever had a peak at.
    gww
  • Blackcherry04

I got thrown for a loop last year by the L-16 Surrettes and how they reacted to what I was doing to them during the plate formation time, it wasn't something I expected. That doesn't mean that all L-16's will react the same. Your battery is somewhat exotic do to height of the cells and how it fits into solar PV charging, your going to have some trials and errors. People used them everyday for the last 75 years and figured out how to charge them and you will to.

While I don't get excited about Battery Monitors, it may be the best friend you have to give you a constant to work with.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

At this point there is no way the battery monitor can give you accurate SOC readings. Ignore that. It can only tell you about Amps in and out.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    While I don't get excited about Battery Monitors, it may be the best friend you have to give you a constant to work with.

Yea, I kept thinking that about ten more charging amps would have been more important but that would have about 8 or 9 hundred dollar investment.

If the meter does nothing else I should get an ideal, running with no charging, of what is taken out of the battery and what the battery looks like sg wise based on the amps used.

It has a .4 amp draw on it even while resting. Boy my sg's looked pretty high except for two cells that didn't resond the way the others did. n even old cell 22 got almost to 1.290

I am learning what the trimetric has to show and trying to inigrate it with what I already do and you are right. It might end up being my best friend. I will probly do better with it then I would with a kilowatt meter at least once if I do no charging. And its a heck of alot easyer then plugging in each appliance. and the bonus is it will be what is actually leaving the battery so not much math to convert what it really means.

Can't trust the mate anymore. So far I still love outback though. My inverters and one cc is 9 years old, not counting the gut replacement of one inverter due to lightning.

Thanks BC
    gww
  • gww1

Thank coot
    I am figuring out where to look. Gonna be a late night. I will check the sgs write it down and water and then put loads on it. At what amp from full level should I check the sgs to make sure I don't go to low in case I have lost a bunch of capasity? 640 amps would be the 80% mark but I sure don't want to go there and find that is 100% discharge. Maby 500 amps out and check the sg? No matter what if history is an indicator I should be safe with the inverters settings once but when I put it back on after low voltage disconnect it would be a little more scarry. I intend to watch very close if I can.

Thanks
    gww

Ps amp from full or to full (how ever it is writen) should be correct if I have no charging going on, right?
  • gww1

Stoped eq at 5 hour mark, battery at 80.6 degrees f. spot check; cell 15 1.279 cell 24 1.279

Let battery set 4.5 hour no load/rest. battery temp at 76.5 degrees. voltage at 51.5. Checked sg and then added 2 gal of water the most ever.

1 1297
    2 1291
    3 1295
    4 1295
    5 1298
    6 1290
    7 1291
    8 1297
    9 1299
    10 1295
    11 1290
    12 1295
    13 1295
    14 1290
    15 1287
    16 1291
    17 1295
    18 1300
    19 1288
    20 1285
    21 1290
    22 1287
    23 1290
    24 1280

I did see cell 24 at 1.282 today before I started eq but the battery was cooler. I have a feeling it has always been low and will always be. a couple of the others improved a bit. I thought 2 gal water was a lot. These batteries don't hold more then 2 gal so a guy could get in real trouble in one month at that rate. cell 3 and 14 and 15 improved quite a bit so the eq helped. still dissapointing but could be worse.

Now the discharge starts. I guess I will let it happen normaly and not leave the water running or something.

Anybody have any thought on these results?
    Thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Don't drive yourself trying to get to exactly 100% charge daily or even weekly... You will use lots of distilled water, cause excessive erosion of the plates, and accelerate positive grid corrosion.

If you are using up all of the water above the plates in 1 month or less--You are probably gassing the batteries too much. Try more for having to add significant amounts of water every 2 months... Although, forklift batteries are supposed to use more water than typical deep cycle batteries. And some gassing is good to mix the electrolyte. But not hours at a time every day...

And look at reaching 100% once a month or so (or equalize when the high to low cells are more than ~0.015 to 0.030 sg units between them). Different battery vendors have differing suggestions/recommendations for when to equalize.

In general, charging to >90% state of charge several times a week should be more than enough. And get cycling below 75% state of charge at least once a month (even daily 25% discharge is fine). Don't run them in the 90-100% SOC range--Not good for the batteries.

At least that is how I see the issue--My opinion is probably worth about two cents because my system is Grid Tied.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CALLD
    CALLD Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭

If one thing this hugely popular thread has done for me is prove that I'm not the only one out there worried sick about my batteries - thank you gww1:)

I totally identify with the concern that batteries just aren't taking enough amps during absorb and the natural reaction is to crank up the voltage in response! But in my experience it does little to push up the SOC by much as most of that extra energy just goes into electrolysis of the electrolyte and heating the battery. I think I may have murdered my batteries that way and hence why I'm shopping for new ones this week. You know your batteries are toast when you cannot get 50% capacity from them without testing the LVD every bloody time......

Trouble is some batteries just thrive on long absorb times - 24 hours or more in some instances. Solar can never achieve this....
  • gww1
    Quote from me
    If the meter does nothing else I should get an ideal, running with no charging, of what is taken out of the battery and what the battery looks like sg wise based on the amps used.

Man I screwed that up. I should have added water half way through the eq cause my sg reading are now going to mean nothing untill I charge and mix again. duh.

CALLD

Yes because of the price of them and all the info out there, batteries are hard in my book. I had pretty much given up on trying to worry about the few low cell sg cause I had worked and never been able to do anything about it. Sombody said something here that made me think it was worth another plan to try one more time, by cycleing low and re-charging a couple of times. I figured what the heck, and by doing so I might also just see where the battery was at as far as capasity goes. Sorry to here about you battery problims and good luck next time.

Bill

I had pretty much given up on ever getting my sg's to read proper and had gone to just letting the outback setting and solar do what they wanted for about ten days and then disconecting the loads to garentee I got a full charge. It was much less stressful although I am a worryer and very seldom let them go for ten days. I have used not quite 1and1/2 gal water per month since new. I read the rolls battery link that blackcherry posted it metioned that if you had to add water every month you were over charging. I don't have any ideal how, close or far, in simularity a rolls battery is to mine. It also said if you under charge for a bit that your voltage will be false high causing your charging to be inatiquit due to the cc cutting back amps based on voltage.

I wrote on anouther forum that I always felt I was ruining the battery cause I was under chargeing and overchrging at the same time.

Needless to say, the last week of overcharging has brought my low cell from the old high of 1.272 to a new of 1.282.

I am going to stick with coots suggestion and take the battery low and recharge a few times and see what happens. I have the new meter and even though I screwed up this time and won't get good sg readings, I can still look at the trimetric and see how many amps are removed compared to voltage. If I do it twice I should see sg comared to load removed from battery. Hopefully on this discharge test I will find my battery is not hurt, not that I can do anything if it is hurt. If is isn't hurt then maby the way I use it isn't to bad, If it is hurt I don't know what to change.

I have always felt I might be overcharging trying to get the sgs up. In the end if I can't learn anything I wil probly go back to the less stressful, run ten days then garrentee a charge.

I do eq once mothly cause that what the battery maker wants, and keeps my eye on water. I don't know if while doing this, I am over charging to get an sg up that is not going to come up.

Batteries are kind of hard.
    Cheers
    gww
  • gww1

Bill
    Just for clarification I would say my normal loads take the battery below 75% daily and probly some times well below that value. It doesn't seem to be below 50% though.
    gww
  • gww1

12 hours has took 171 amps from the battery so far. Under load the battery is at 49.3 voltage.
    gww
  • Blackcherry04
    gww1 wrote: »
    12 hours has took 171 amps from the battery so far. Under load the battery is at 49.3 voltage.
    gww
    That would be 171 Amp Hrs, 400 would be 50 % and 640 would be 80% dod. It should be easy for you to now to come up with the data you need to manage your power consumption and recharge ability. Taking it out is easy, putting it back, not so easy. As you can see it still comes down to Voltage and SG level, but if the Battery Monitor helps you get a better view, you did good. You probably won't want to go to 80% often, but you'll soon be able to set the floor of the discharge, then it's all going to be about recharge. Recharge is going to be 110 - 120 % or more of what you removed. Since you have Grid, you can go lower than some can , if your willing to use it, thats where the HBX comes into play with the Grid Zero concept. I know your main goal is to keep that Battery healthy.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    I want to get as much as I can but not at the expence of the battery.

I am at about 240 amps out now and the battery 48.6 volts with a 410 watt load on it (about 8.3 amps). The mate says I am drawing only 100 watts. I would say the mate is usually way off.

I have seen simular stuff on charging with the cc reading much higher then the mate.

I saw the battery at 47.5 volts with about a 30 amp draw on the battery which is why my low voltage disconnect is so low. Big loads draw the voltage down alot on these/this battery but don't reflect that they are really that low or have used that much power. It is back to the 48.6 when the amp load drop to 8 amps.

I realize the low voltage disconnect setting could bite me some day if I get to it with a very low load.

I am still wondering how far I should push the discharge. If I take the battery down to 640 amps used and it has lost some cappasity it could be too much and cause permanate damage. I guess I will play it by ear and hope I get it correct.
    Thanks
    gww
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    I had the hbx use setting (low voltage diconnect) at 46 volts but the battery would never stay on the grid all night. I admit that I always use .1 or 6 min for the time portion of staying at the low voltage disconnect. I know I could put the time value and low voltage both at higher values and end up in the same place but in practice hitting the low voltage now does not happen unless I have no charging and when it does happen the battery is always above 48 volts when I get to it. So I feel safe with that setting. How do you have yours set?

I use the grid for charging as little as posible but have used it for long eq and to extend absorbs when I was worried or close to being done and able to put my loads back on the battery. I do some of this so I can learn what I really have and what it will do. I try not to get in the situation where I need to charge from the grid but more just try to drop my loads to not get to that point. Sometimes when I miss judge or want to experement I use the grid to charge so I am not so against it that I don;t do it but more am trying to learn how to not need to do it. If the need is there I use the grid.

Thank you for your imput
    gww
  • Blackcherry04

With a 1 volt sag @ 30 amps I can see why your settings are so low. That sag is the biggest complaint I have ever heard about them. Once you get around 50% dod, you need to start seeing what size load you can support, that may need to be your cut off floor. Sounds like you'll be below 46 V @ 80 % dod. I don't believe you'll hurt the battery, but your inverters will be below their effective voltage and efficiency range, that becomes a double edge sword as the battery voltage drops. Once you fine the lowest voltage you can go and amp hrs, that where you need to set the HBX voltage. If you don't intend to use the grid to charge, then you'll have to disconnect and use the grid for your loads until you get the sun to recharge. With winter coming , you have a lot to consider. It sounds like your system is good for about 12 - 14 hours or so, but you want it to last 18 hrs. Your going to get some long runs with limited or no sun soon.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding gww's water useage, some (including gww, I think) that there is not a lot of electrolyte reserve above the plates on Forklift batteries. This plus the relatively high SG electrolyte and the fact that these batteries are often TALL, can all combine to cause this type battery use more water normally, and have less margin for tending their water needs, IMO.

Agree that one can drive oneself NUTS worrying about batteries, until you and they develop a rhythm, and confidence in how they behave in different situations. But FLA batteries are quite forgiving, and keeping an eye on them is the most important thing that the battery tender can do.

FWIW, Good Luck, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • gww1

Blackcherry
    I re-looked at my last post and the one thing that might not be clear is that when I metioned the low voltage at 46 volts, it was something that I had tried and didn't work so I have it set at 44.8 volts for 6 min. and it works well and when it does disconnect my batterys always rebound to between 48 to 48.8 volts. Also when it disconnets the cc usually shows that my low voltage for the day was 45.7 volts. I don't find this discrepency that disturbing cause I never end up taking the batteries below 50% with the way it is working. The only real issues might be that I didn't take the battery low enough for the best forming of the plates altough I am not sure of that as my sg readings have had the batteries below the 50% level a couple of times. I still think over all I am a bit higher then 50% and maby closer to 65% charged most times I reach low voltage cut off.

How to put the voltage readings at 50% and sg lower a couple of time. I can only guess that the few low sg times had more to do with maby getting lower charging/defacit charging worse a couple of times that were not normal. I am not sure.

I did make it through last winter and what I noticed was an over all lower average production but much higher charge rate when the sun was shinning. I added a couple months winter and believe I had a 16kwh day average with my high production days being 30kwh and above but more overcast days. My summer daily average was more like 20 kwh daily but I had many more high days that only produced 26kwh but more of them due to fewer overcast days. I just run my loads on grid during bad times or times I get behind on getting a good charge.

The biggest risk I see with the voltage sag is if I were gone and no one flushed a toilet. A small 400 watt load durring a time like that might take the batteries lower then they should be. The way it has acted so far I believe that at 44.8 a fridge kicking on will still keep it above 80 % discharge (i hope) I don't get the 45.7 low voltage on the cc when I disconnect but maby there is a default setting or setting I am missing that would save me from going to low. So far the battery is 48 volt or above when I disconnect. We will see soon while I try to discharge further.

Vic
    I agree, not much head room on the water, two gal is about the limit before real danger. Maby thats why the battery make want an eq every month. Maby that is their way of making sure you look at the battery often enough.

Thanks
    gww
  • gww1

Update
    It is 11.30pm, I was not home most of the day so not normal usage. Battery disconnected due to low voltage sometime with in the last hour or so.

The low voltage on the cc was 45.2 volts, the battery was sitting at 48.4, The trimetric said the battery was at 59% charged, The amps taken from the battery was 328 amp hours.

I used the drop button and put my loads back on the battery but changed no settings. the battery dropped to 47.3 volts. The mate said their was a 600 watt load and the trymetric said there was a 970 watt load. I forgot to write down the amp draw but is probly around 20 amps.

I don't know how long the battery will carry the load but I think I will use whatever water I need and go make sure it is still carrying the loads and go to bed. It may carry them till I wake up and use the john.

cheers
    gww

PS do these numbers mean anything to anyone?
  • gww1

Update
    The loads lasted untill morning when I used water. I went and reset. The low voltage on the cc was 44.7. I increased the low voltage disconnect to 12 min at 44.8. I went back out at 6:30 am and the loads had switched to grid again. The trimetric has the battery at 47% charged. The cc had started a new day and the low voltage on it was 45.7. The battery voltage was 47.3 volts and I am sure it was not resting very long. It is 32 hours since I put the loads on. The trimetric say I have used 421 amp hours from the battery. I set the low voltage time value to 44.8 volts for 18 min.

It looks like I am going to lose some morning sunlight cause I am still drawing the batteries down.

Resting voltage for 80 % discharge should be around 46.3 volts unless I am wrong.

Any thoughts so far?

Thanks
    gww
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    calld
    I can't wait till I catch it with zero load and see what is leaving the battery, doesn't happen very often. I know about all them losses but the losses I am seeing is purly a convertion loss between the battery and inverter to the load. I do believe out back is notorious for their numbers being wrong on the mate. I believe they do a lot of rounding off of numbers and also have when the numbers change spaced pretty far apart. Like when the one cc has 1098 and the other cc has 1098 it will say the charge rate is 2000 watts.

When thier voltage reading goes up or down it does it buy .4 voltage spread not by .1 voltage spread. I don't know the tare losses on the two cc but think the inverters is 20 watts each. I saw a chart one time that ouback hits their 94% convertion rate at a spicific watt load and higher and lower watt loads have a different and worse convertion rate. Fifty percent is alot. I really like how outback works as far as seamlessness and the raw power it will run.

To your point of day time loads, thats why I make my hot water during the day.

Thanks for your interest.
    gww

I noticed on the mate3, that everything is a "factor" of 12v. Meaning, on a 12v system, the increments are .1 but on a 48v system the increments are .4 (like you said).

However, I have always had really close/accurate readings BUT I do know that all of the WHOLE NUMBER (non-decimal) numbers on the Mate3 are "decimal dropped" (not rounded). Meaning if it shows 2A for "load", that could be 2.0amps or 2.99999amps - you never really know what it is.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Update
    ...I increased the low voltage disconnect to 12 min at 44.8.

I am curious, where do you set the "time" for the low voltage disconnect?
    I have never seen a place to do that, only a place to set the LVD voltage.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • gww1

J
    I have just a mate not a mate three so I don't really know on you system. On my system it is in two places. As I run in hbx and don't sell I may be doing something differrent then you.

One of the low voltage disconnects is on my hbx menue. To get there I push advanced, put in the pass word "141" go to mate, go to hbx, and I think the grid use setting is first and scrolling down once gets me to the time value setting. grid use voltage is what voltage the loads switch to grid or (low voltage disconnect).

The other setting is (I believe) the same except you go to fx instead of mate and then go to inverter, your settings are there.

I hope this helps
    gww
  • Blackcherry04
    The mate said their was a 600 watt load and the trymetric said there was a 970 watt load.
    I'v seen some disparity in the readouts before, but never this much. Time to get your clamp on amp meter to verify what your going the believe. Do your Inverters have separate DC cabling back to the Buss Bar ??

It doesn't look like your ever make it to 80% dod, the voltage sag is just to great.

What are your HBX settings ?? If your having a problem with the Pump, it looks like you could set the low 45v - 46 v for -00.1 hrs and 47v - for 00.1 hrs and adjust till you cover the pump draw. Your seeing a big dip and recovery in the voltage, I would think you could get the HBX to cover it.