can i tie two power inverter together?

Options
indercool2004
indercool2004 Registered Users Posts: 1
both the off grid power inverters are same make and same output 300watt , 10A MPPT each , i have 2 solar panel of 100w. I would like to tie both the inverter together at AC side to make 600 watt inverter. is it possible ?

Comments

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: can i tie two power inverter together?

Certain inverters are made for stacking like that. Most are not. Connecting most inverters in parallel will result in one or both burning out. It is a matter of having to match the output frequency.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Grid tie inverters (GTIs), on the other hand, do not require anything special to parallel since all of the inverters will sync themselves to the grid voltage frequency and phase.
    When stacking stackable off-grid inverters, you may still need a transformer if your intention is to produce 240V from two 120V inverters.
    Some inverters' stacking capability even allows you to run them 180 degrees out of phase to produce a balanced 240 without using a transformer.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • inetdog
    Options

From the OP's other thread, here is more detail:
    [we have] Trace Inverter SW4048. Our local solar company happens to have a SW5548 laying around.
    The answer to the question for those specific models would have to come from the manufacturer, although the manuals for the two may contain the answer.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unless they are specifically built to be tied together (stacked), they have no way of syncing their output waveforms, so you will end up with a 4th of July style display until things settle down and the smoke clears.
  • inetdog
    Options
    Unless they are specifically built to be tied together (stacked), they have no way of syncing their output waveforms, so you will end up with a 4th of July style display until things settle down and the smoke clears.
    So the question becomes whether those two specific Trace models were built to be stackable. I do not have the answer. Does anyone else out there?
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was going to say that !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    From the OP's other thread, here is more detail:

The OP only has one post on this forum.

Welcome to the forum Indercool2004,

Your power inverters at 300 watts, 10 amps, with MPPT must be what are called "microinverters". They are meant to be used one inverter per solar panel in a grid-tie system. Is that how you intend to use them?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i