Stacking Inverters Question

Options
buggeyes
buggeyes Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi everyone, Im looking to upgrade my system from 120 to 240 (so we can install a mini split) and we currently have a Trace Inverter SW4048. Our local solar company happens to have a SW5548 laying around. Does anyone know if these two will work together? Or how I can find out? Thanks!!

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Stacking Inverters Question

You have asked this question in two different places.
    I would suggest that anyone wishing to contribute go to this thread http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?24813-can-i-tie-two-power-inverter-together&p=202328#post202328 since there are already answers in progress there. :)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • buggeyes
    buggeyes Registered Users Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

Nope, that wasnt me. But I guess those answers still apply. check with the manufacturer.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Even with inverters that are stackable it is not recommended to mix sizes (i.e. the 4kW and the 5.5kW).

However, it would be possible to use the 5.5 to gain over-all capacity and put it (or the 4kW) through an autotransformer to get the 240 VAC. But the AC outputs of the two would remain separate (one could feed one leg of a service panel and the other the opposite leg providing no 240 Volt loads are put across the two).

Your Trace inverter would be very old now, and may be near failure. Do not discount replacing it with a new inverter that can handle all the loads you want with the 240 Volt output.