Help me choose the generator

Options
Nila
Nila Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
Reason Im going to buy a generator is here : http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?24798-Reasons-to-NOT-go-with-cheaper-chinese-parts-amp-devices-amp-a-Genset-QN

I had a generator QN there but for clarity I would like to make a new post here.
Also my requirements have changed as i initially miscalculated the loads.

About new Generator

so I am planning to just use a Generator which runs on Petrol/Diesel for about max 2000$ budget.

Connected loads During Day ( with most lights/fans off ) = 800-1000
Connected loads During Night ( with all lights/fans on ) = 1200-1400

Load information is at the bottom of the post.

Expected downtime is about 5-6 hours a day overall.
Most of the outages are at the day time 6AM to 6PM and not at night where we consume lot of energy.

The outages will be brief during the nights if any , like 30-60 minutes at a time..
and will be extended during the day like 2-4 hours at a shot and rarely It will be like Full day off like 8 hours during day time.

This is quite a big family here, so I cannot cut the loads,etc down but people will understand and not use TVs/etc when there is outage.

I went to a Honda diesel dealer and he gave me pricing/info on the 2 models he has available.

Honda EU 30 IS Inverter model - 3000W sinewave/ about 1800$
Honda EX2400S - 1800W output ./ about 1200$

Should i go with any other models. Honda is one reliable company here in Madurai, India but I can try /look for more as well.

I can cut the Computers down if I have to and use Laptop during outages. However I prefer to keep them all going.
I dont care about the Fridge and can cut it down too if needed.

What would you recommend ?
Is there any maintenance associated with gensets apart from the Oil change?

P.S The petrol is easily available within 200meters from my home. So I m not worried about the tank size.

Attached is the list of the loads I m planning to connect to this generator:Which are all now connected to my 3.5KW Inverter.

Loads qty wattage
Fans 6 75 450
Lights 5 40 200
fridge 1 160 160
TV 2 125 250
STB 2 30 60
computers 3 140 420
chargers., 1 100 100
modems,etc
Total 1640

These are the list however Not everything will be switched on all the time.

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help me choose the generator

Storing fuel can be a problem, if kept too long, it goes stale and gums up the carburetor.

Will your generator be charging batteries at the same time it powers the loads ?

All generators eventually break, plan on having a spare one.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

Propane fueled generators eliminate the fuel storage and freshness problem. They also go longer between oil changes. But they are still mechanical devices with moving parts.

There are Honda EU3000's available online with the fuel conversion already done and ready to go, as well as kits.
    http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU3000iS-Tri-fuel.asp?page=EU3000iS_Tri_Fuel
    The downside is propane does not have the same energy density as gasoline. Also what is your altitude? Generators like all fuel burning engines lose power with altitude. About 3% per thousand feet. I can tell the difference at out 8800 ft elevation.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Nila
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Storing fuel can be a problem, if kept too long, it goes stale and gums up the carburetor.

Will your generator be charging batteries at the same time it powers the loads ?

All generators eventually break, plan on having a spare one.

I have no batteries at the moment.. so for about next 10 months I will just run that to power loads alone.

It would be nice to charge batteries whilst powering the load in emergencies ( just the most basic fan/lights & 1 computer may be )
  • Nila
    Options

What about altitude of 101M .. Ive never been worried/asked about the altitude all my life haha

Propane which we call(Gas) availability is a problem here, I would stick to Petrol.

Elevation
    101 m (331 ft)
    Madurai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madurai
    Propane fueled generators eliminate the fuel storage and freshness problem. They also go longer between oil changes. But they are still mechanical devices with moving parts.

There are Honda EU3000's available online with the fuel conversion already done and ready to go, as well as kits.
    http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU3000iS-Tri-fuel.asp?page=EU3000iS_Tri_Fuel
    The downside is propane does not have the same energy density as gasoline. Also what is your altitude? Generators like all fuel burning engines lose power with altitude. About 3% per thousand feet. I can tell the difference at out 8800 ft elevation.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

:D no worry @ 331 feet.
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • oil pan 4
    oil pan 4 Solar Expert Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Get a 4 pole generator, run it at 1800rpm.
    I have had 4 pole diesel generators that have over 20,000 hours.

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Nila
    Options
    oil pan 4 wrote: »
    Get a 4 pole generator, run it at 1800rpm.
    I have had 4 pole diesel generators that have over 20,000 hours.

Hey thanks for suggestion

Im looking for something with very low maintenence as i am not good at doing that .

I go out of country quite a few times for 2-3 weeks.

I have people on the family available but generally prefer a lower maintenence system.
  • Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options

As a guy that uses generators commercially I can tell you there is a lot more long term maintenance than oil changes.

Oil is the base maintenance - then you have -
    Fuel filter
    Valve adjustments at "about" 500 hours
    Timing belts on some models around 1000 hours.

Even though petrol is close to your house an extended run kit would be a wise investment as they allow fueling with the genset still running and no danger of fuel spillage into the running genset. Petrol goes bad quick if unstabilized and in about 6 month if stabilized.

Take a look at the owners manual all these intervals will be listed in the back. Ignore at your own peril.

The guy (oil pan) telling you to buy an 1800RPM diesel with a 4 pole genhead speaks the truth.

Portable gensets have 2 ratings rated output and max- make sure your purchase can provide rated power for your loads.

Uncle Dave
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,440 admin
    Options

And knowing your loads and the ability (if needed) to reduce peak loads (turn water pump off to run A/C, etc.).

For some of the high power draws--Such as A/C and various pumps / electric water heaters (now heat pump based), there are some very significant ways to limit surge current to much lower levels (and many will increase electrical efficiency).

Once you know your loads. Minimum average loads for black out period--Where the generator will be running to supply most of your loads. The peak starting loads. And sometimes that may mean that you need two gensets. One for quiet office time (a couple computers, lights, fan, laser printer/network, etc.). and a second larger genset for dinner hour--When you need to run pumps, appliances, stove, A/C to take reduce some of the heat/humidity, etc.

The Honda and other inverter generators--Usually have a wider range of "efficient" operation. As your loads drop, the motor will slow down and the inverter portion will give you stable AC voltage and frequency (at the expense of poor surge support for loads). However, once you get constant/average loads above 50% or so of generator rating--The standard non-inverter-generator will be just as fuel efficient (if not more fuel efficient) than the inverter-generator. If you can manage your loads when on the genset--It will let you pick the genset that best supports those loads.

Regarding Petrol (gasoline) vs Diesel... Noise and smell can be major issues for diesel. You will have to decide if having a diesel is practical from a neighborhood point of view.

From an operational point of view--Diesel is usually more fuel efficient (kWH per gallon of fuel)--So price, availability, storage/transfer are going to be important too.

Diesel engines are going to be more fuel efficient than gasoline at lower output power levels too vs petrol (even more than the inverter-generators powered by petrol). A major issue with diesel is that they don't like running lightly loaded. Running below ~40-60% of rated output, they can "wet stack" (exhaust system becomes oily), glaze cylinder walls (low heat/pressure causes a glaze on the cylinder walls causing burning of lubricating oil, compression leaks past rings, etc.).

If your loads are variable--You might be OK if you can run the genset with some occasional heavy loads too (A/C, cooking, etc.) so that the engine gets a chance to be excersized at higher power levels too (I am not a Diesel expert--Hopefully others can address these questions better).

Once you have a good idea on loads and load management... You can pick classes of gensets that will meet your power needs.

The Honda and Yamaha ~1.5-2.x kWatt inverter-generators are great units for supplying smaller AC loads. At least in the US, there are few (if any) small Diesel gensets that have those capabilities. Everything else is going to be 2x or larger--meaning that they are really for larger loads.

Second is that (at least the Honda eu) is not really designed for long term usage--I.e., you really cannot rebuild them, no oil filter/pressurized oil system, etc. But--They can give pretty reasonable run-time life for their cost/size. 2,000 hours pretty easily with good maintenance/oil changes, and some folks here are getting 6,000 hours out of the eu2000i and eu1000i gensets. At the end of their life--You are going to throw them away (after 2-4 years or so).

A Diesel genset, done rgiht, it is an investment in the future... If you are going to need a genset for years to come, in similar operation, then paying the extra time and money to do it right is probably worth it (assuming Diesel+neighborhood is OK).

However--If you will be going with solar+batteries+AC inverter (look for inverter with "Generator Support")... Then spending money on a diesel genset now may not be the best fit for a solar power system later (generator may be over-sized for solar power system) and if Petrol is a better fuel for your needs (few tens of gallons stored on site for occasional bad weather power needs)--Then a less expensive / smaller petrol genset may be your better answer.

I wonder if the Honda eu30i (~3kW peak) genset is a good fit for you--If your AC loads are large enough to use the eu30i--It seems like there may be close enough to match a locally available Diesel generator too. And fuel storage/safety for diesel over petrol is important. You are going to be doing a lot of fuel handling over the next year--And gasoline is much more of a fire hazard (especially if you are in a crowed area and don't have room for a generator shed + fuel storage away from your home/office. The eu30i does not have (that I know of) an oil filter either--Lots of oil changes needed to keep it running reliably.

Reasons many of us like the Honda eu2000i (and eu1000i) is because there is no small diesel gensets, in the US diesel fuel is usually not as common at fuel stations.

And the eu2000i can be fitted with a sealed fuel cap + hose. Fill up the main 1 gallon tank, put on the sealed cap + line and drop the fuel line (plus filter if you want) into a 5+ gallon fuel container. The eu2000i (at least) as a mechanical fuel pump that can draw a vacuum in the internal fuel tank and pull fuel from an external tank. Less fuel transfer issues and longer run time vs just the internal tank (I am not sure you can do this with the eu3000i version).

Attachment not found.
    http://www.amazon.com/MAGNETIC-DIPSTICK-EXTENDED-Eu2000i-GENERATOR/dp/B004ZSAS82

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    Options

Robin/Subaru has a 3KW diesel genset (3600 rpm HATZ engine)
    http://www.unitedgenerator.com/proddetail.php?prod=Subaru_RGD3300H And a 5KW model too. Then they have the 6KW Kubota 1800rpm engines .....
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• oil pan 4
    Options

If you buy a 3 cylinder Kubota with any 4 pole alternator on there its going to chug along and will be the quietest generator you have ever seen.

A gas generator always smells like a lawn mower or weed eater spewing out partially burned gasoline no matter if you run them at no load or full load. The diesel generator has little smell until you load it up and are running the engine near full power.

I tried for years to get one of those Kubota generators used with out spending several thousand on it and have never been able to. So I settled for a 3 year old broke gasoline powered troybuilt 2 pole generator that I bought for $100 and made operational again with an $8 part. Since I don't use it that much the diesel Kubota would be extreme over kill.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?24775-My-little-generator

Solar hybrid gasoline generator, 7kw gas, 180 watts of solar, Morningstar 15 amp MPPT, group 31 AGM, 900 watt kisae inverter.

Solar roof top GMC suburban, a normal 3/4 ton suburban with 180 watts of panels on the roof and 10 amp genasun MPPT, 2000w samlex pure sine wave inverter, 12v gast and ARB air compressors.

• Uncle Dave
    Options

Nila,

My experience mirrors oil pans.

Are you sure about this fridge load? Ive never seen a full sized household fridge pull 160 watts.
    Your refrigerator and all compressor based devices require a healthy surge to START the compressor vs the running wattage once after it has been started.
    How can you cut back on the fridge? Are you ok with spoiled food?

If you are running at about 1500 watts and the fridge starts it will require up to 10X the running load to start for a very brief period to "kick over" the compressor.

A 2400 watt genny is on the edge loaded up as you describe - especially running in eco mode.

The resulting voltage sag while the unit revs up to cover the startup load is hard on your electronics.

Id look at the 3000 vs the 2400 if you insist on gasoline.

The duty cycle you are describing will wear out a camp genny pretty quick
    there is lots of other maintenance to do like timing belts, fuel filters and valve lash adjustments.

Id be looking at a diesel running 6 hours a day.

Ask the salesman to quote you the price for valve lash adjustments then recompute what a year of running this will really cost you.
    Seems the 30IS wants them every 300 hours, and at the rate you are running (6 hours a day) you will be in the dealership with a valve adjustment 6 times a year.

Long term costs on the diesel will be much less.

(maintenance chart taken from 30IS)
    UD
  • oil pan 4
    Options

If I had to run a generator 6hrs a day I would keep my gasoline powered troybuilt... As a backup.

If I still couldn't come up with the funds to get a liquid cooled kubota with a 4 pole alternator I would pick up an externally regulated 4 pole kohler alternator and find a big air cooled 2 cylinder gas motor to attach it to and build my own cheap 4 pole gen set. Going 4 pole just bypasses the 2 pole machines greatest design flaw, the one where they shake them selves apart. It will also lessen the engines thirst for gas.

Even running a new version of my 7kw troybuilt, which costs $900 new and is a pretty good machine you would be killing one every 2 or 3 years and burning through a crazy amount of gas.

If I was going to use a generator that much I would really like something liquid cooled so I could take the engines waste heat and exhaust heat via a "diesel EGR cooler" and pipe the heat into my house during the cooler months.
    A little post on using EGR coolers as heat exchangers, ignore the sales pitch, unless you want to buy one.
    http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/egr-cooler-29085.html

• Uncle Dave
    Options

I buy low hour RV diesel gensets from wrecked RV's.
    Cheapest way I know of to get a water cooled 4 pole 1800 RPM Kubota setup.
    I picked up a perkins/cat/"perkapillar" for my RV for 4K with 1100 hours. Runs like a watch- sips fuel.

A copper tube wrap around the exhaust can drive a decent small scale hydronic setup as long as you let it build up some heat before running the hydronic pump.

If I lived in India - Id get a lister clone as far as i know there is no cheaper way to produce a KW hour of power but they are hardly portable.

UD
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uncle Dave wrote: »
    If I lived in India - Id get a lister clone as far as i know there is no cheaper way to produce a KW hour of power but they are hardly portable.

UD
    A lister may be OK for battery charging or for resistive heating loads, but for frequency sensitive AC loads like motors the uneven speed of the lister over the course of one engine cycle can be a big problem.
    That will cause both frequency and voltage from the generator to vary.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    A lister may be OK for battery charging or for resistive heating loads, but for frequency sensitive AC loads like motors the uneven speed of the lister over the course of one engine cycle can be a big problem.

From my experience no portable is remotely as stable as a flywheel engine diesel with a modern powerhead.
    Its possible with proper setup to get fantastic results.

Utterpower.com has some good articles on how stable they are and how long they last.

My honda 2000's and my yamaha eu3000ISEB sag like wizard sleeves when I put a compressor based load on them.
    You can watch all the lights in the house flicker with either set when the fridge cycles.

UD
  • mike95490
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »

Oh, come on. The only thing I've seen not work off the lister, is my garage door opener. It does not like the power surge. The lights do flicker a bit, but at least my wife knows we're on generator power and she can run the blow dryer and toaster........
    (6 hp, 650 rpm, single cylinder about 1600cc displacement) (hated by seismologists, even a purpose poured 12" slab can't soak up the power stroke)

And my gas range ignition does not like the robin/subaru/hatz generator output. And you can hear that screamer for half a mile while it's in the generator shed !

• Uncle Dave
    Options

Id trade this whole pile of gensets for a cherry 6-1 with a modern 4 pole head.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Overload any generator, regardless of design, and it will drop out of spec.

Most of the time this is not a problem because very few loads are hyper-critical for Voltage or even frequency. If they were they wouldn't work of utility power which is known to have a few fluctuations from time to time.

Trying to use a 2kW inverter-generator when you need a 8kW low RPM diesel is foolish. So is trying to use the big diesel when all you need is the little I-G.

There is no such thing as "this is the best generator and everyone should have it". That sort of thinking is the most foolish of all.

I have got amazing service from my Honda I-G's with no problems with sagging under load and certainly no off-frequency running. Nor are they noisy or smelly. I can't say the same for a cheap generator of any type.
  • oil pan 4
    Options
    There is no such thing as "this is the best generator and everyone should have it". That sort of thinking is the most foolish of all.

But more people need to own generators. Every time there is a bad thunder storm or bad winter storm and power goes out it seems like no one has a generator.
    The power goes out and it seems like no one is prepared.

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

I can't see with the advent of Generator Support on a lot of Inverters available, why anyone would want a large Generator for Off-Grid. It use to be you needed a large generator to be a prime mover for loads that you couldn't run on a Inverter and batteries. Now you can size the Inverter and Batteries to carry your loads and use the generator to fill in when needed. Most any small generator will run a charger and give you some pass through and Generator Support will pick up the rest when it's all sized to your expected loads.

I use to put over 300 + hrs a year on a 20 KW that costs $10 a hour to run, I bet I didn't use it 10 hours a year in the last 3 years since I got the proper battery bank and Inverter with Generator Support. My fuel costs have gone $3,000 + to almost $300 a year plus the maintenance costs and a $14,000 generator to a $1,000 Generator.

Anytime your Off grid and you try to live like your On Grid it's going to be expensive.
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That would depend upon how large one's off grid system and power requirements are. . .
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Blackcherry04
    Options
    Mangas wrote: »
    That would depend upon how large one's off grid system and power requirements are. . .
    Now you can size the Inverter and Batteries to carry your loads and use the generator to fill in when needed.
    That is oh so true. There are several that like you have large systems and have the need for more than us commoners.
  • Mangas
    Options

For years, I ran the ranch house and electronics with three Honda 2000 inverters. They were the most reliable and economic power generating equipment I ever had no matter what the weather was doing. After a few thousand hours when they started burning oil I tossed them out and bought new ones.

With panels now running half the price than when I built the system 9 years ago, I counsel folks to just throw a few more panels on the battery bank before making a genset decison. Bill very capably has done the calcs on making this type of decision.

My recent conversion to high efficiency HVAC units makes my genset about 25% more expensive but maybe offset by lower propane usage.

Trying to balance and figure it all out amid changing conservation values and improving equipment efficiencies makes for some real mental gymnastics for someone like me with limited technical skills in this area.

Thanks always to Bill, Coot and everyone here for their good navigation in these expensive waters . . . LOL
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • Blackcherry04
    Options

It doesn't take long before you know the difference in 400 amp hrs in 2 hours @ $20 and 400 amp hrs in 5.5 hours @ $3.00 to know where the value is in todays market. Of course 8.2 kw of PV doesn't hurt either.
  • Mangas
    Options
    It doesn't take long before you know the difference in 400 amp hrs in 2 hours @ $20 and 400 amp hrs in 5.5 hours @ $3.00 to know where the value is in todays market. Of course 8.2 kw of PV doesn't hurt either.

That storage equation really gets into my pocket every 7-8 years.

I often have a hard time convincing people the importance of judicious conservation including the highest available energy savings appliances . . .even with 8kw+, before addressing generator scaling.
  • Nila
    Options

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies, I am still digesting all the stuff lol.

So my 2nd kid was born last friday so I was like out of internet for some time. I have so much to learn now from this thread.

I was hoping that from my car/bike experiences Diesel engines required more overall maintanence compared to the Petrol .

I was also hoping that Eu30(3000)i model will JUST work for years and will cold start easily ,etc.

I now know both are wrong , and I have to re-evaluate the situation.

The down time is not as high as i thought it would be, more like just 2-3 hours and this generator will eventually be used ONLY as backup to my batteries from next year.

Also I have decided to not buy the generator immediately so I have bit of time to reasses the situation and choose the right one.

Also the availability here matters, for all Diesel generator needs we usually go with some Indian companies like Kirloskar using (Ashok Leyland engines )

I m scared that in our office we own a 20KW generator a large diesel thing which we do NOTHING apart from oil / fuel changes .

When something breaks the manufacturer/support just fixes/replaces, Now i see the need to assign someone with Annual maintenence contract to save the investment.

Thanks to you all again, I will update the thread with more info/quesstions when i get time.
  • Nila
    Options

Hi Uncle Dave

This is an eye opener..

I'm re-evaluating generator purchase at all.

I may be set with my solar setup if i manage to buy 8x 200AH batteries and a MPPT cc from xatrex or tristar/morningstar
    So i m considering to just do that and forget the generator or buy a smaller generator for ONLY battery charging on emergencies
    Uncle Dave wrote: »
    Nila,

My experience mirrors oil pans.

Are you sure about this fridge load? Ive never seen a full sized household fridge pull 160 watts.
    Your refrigerator and all compressor based devices require a healthy surge to START the compressor vs the running wattage once after it has been started.
    How can you cut back on the fridge? Are you ok with spoiled food?

If you are running at about 1500 watts and the fridge starts it will require up to 10X the running load to start for a very brief period to "kick over" the compressor.

A 2400 watt genny is on the edge loaded up as you describe - especially running in eco mode.

The resulting voltage sag while the unit revs up to cover the startup load is hard on your electronics.

Id look at the 3000 vs the 2400 if you insist on gasoline.

The duty cycle you are describing will wear out a camp genny pretty quick
    there is lots of other maintenance to do like timing belts, fuel filters and valve lash adjustments.

Id be looking at a diesel running 6 hours a day.

Ask the salesman to quote you the price for valve lash adjustments then recompute what a year of running this will really cost you.
    Seems the 30IS wants them every 300 hours, and at the rate you are running (6 hours a day) you will be in the dealership with a valve adjustment 6 times a year.

Long term costs on the diesel will be much less.

(maintenance chart taken from 30IS)
    UD
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nila wrote: »
    ... or buy a smaller generator for ONLY battery charging on emergencies
    That is certainly an option. The emergency generator could power your smaller loads directly in case some component of your system fails and needs to be replaced.
    As long as you do not have any heavy loads that cannot be run comfortably by your inverter alone and none of the large loads are life critical, the small generator may be solution for you.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    Nila wrote: »
    Hi Uncle Dave

This is an eye opener..

I'm re-evaluating generator purchase at all.

I may be set with my solar setup if i manage to buy 8x 200AH batteries and a MPPT cc from xatrex or tristar/morningstar
    So i m considering to just do that and forget the generator or buy a smaller generator for ONLY battery charging on emergencies

If you can find a way to carry your loads with sustainable power you'll be money ahead in the long run.
    TO feed that many batts & AH's you are likely going to spend more than your original target investment but the payback will be there.

Using the genset as a standby system or finish charger vs prime power is a better long term approach and lets you get by with less genset and allows what you do buy to last longer.

Lots of guys never touch the valves in their hondas but I burned a valve in 30 days in one of mine running parallel but to be fair - I was subjecting it to a commercial type load while I was waiting for repair on my large genset so from my perspective they are reliable but do need this service when pushing them hard. Units that burble away at or near idle may go a lifetime without a valve service.

Make sure you have the loads right however and note that compressor based devices like fridges typically have high startup surges.

Good luck sir!