pv array questions.

Options
burrow_87
burrow_87 Registered Users Posts: 10
So I am doing some reading and had some questions. My Outback 80 can handle 2000 watts worth of array. I understand the 80 amps at 24volts. My question is this. Is there an advantage of series wiring to 125 volts with voc 31.32 panels at 7.98 amps? I could theoretically get 6500 watts going into the system with 4 pv in series at 10 strings this way. Or does the voltage step down negate the point of the larger array?

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: pv array questions.

Amp x Volts = Watts

Panels (or batteries) in series the voltage adds amperage remains the same, in parallel the Amperage adds and the voltage remains the same.

Outback charge controller can handle 80 amps of output.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    burrow_87 wrote: »
    My question is this. Is there an advantage of series wiring to 125 volts with voc 31.32 panels at 7.98 amps?

The only advantage is lower voltage drop in your wiring, The charge controller will typically work optimally at 2x the battery voltage. VOC does increase in cold weather. Rated VOC is typically for @77 degrees.
    I could theoretically get 6500 watts going into the system with 4 pv in series at 10 strings this way. Or does the voltage step down negate the point of the larger array?

I guess I'm not following you. I would guess from the VOC and IMP? Are you thinking that the charge controller will see 80 amps coming in and be able to handle it?

In the last thread on batteries I posted;

"Not in any real sense, charge controllers are rated for the amperage they can pass along to the battery bank, in a 48 volt system it can handle 4000 watts since 4000/48 = 83.333 Amps and it can handle 2000 watts at 24 volts 2000/24=83.333 Amps. That said it can deliver more wattage(power) at 48 volts. "

The actual output will max out at 80 amps, You can cost effectively use an array up to about 1.2 x the rated wattage handling, since the normal array output will be around 75-80% of the rated output. On optimal days you will lose some energy...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • burrow_87
    Options

So then there is no significant advantage to over volting the system while staying under the 80 amps. I was just trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for the fm-80 taking 150 vdc
    4 pv panels in series would give me:
    4*31.32v=125.28v@7.98 amps. Meaning I could run 10 strings of 4 panels and stay under both the 150 vdc limit and 80 amp limit. So 125.28v*7.98a*10 parallel strings. Or is my math wrong?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    burrow_87 wrote:
    Is there an advantage of series wiring to 125 volts with voc 31.32 panels at 7.98 amps?
    I could theoretically get 6500 watts going into the system with 4 pv in series at 10 strings this way.

What panels are those? Voc of 31.32 volts is unusual... are you sure that 31.32 is not the Vmp?
    So then there is no significant advantage to over voting the system while staying under the 80 amps. I was just trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for the fm-80 taking 150 vdc

Vmp is the voltage at which the panels make their maximum power. It is lower than Voc which is the voltage that a panel makes when exposed to light with no load on it.

If your panels really do have a Voc of 31.32 volts and you wire them up four in series (string Voc = 125.28 ), you will probably damage the controller. This is because when the panels are cooler than 75° F, their Voc increases. Almost any light at all will raise a panel's voltage to Voc. The first morning light on a cold day will push the Voc high enough to damage the controller.

The 150 volt maximum input on the FM80 is all about cold Voc. When the panels heat up in the sun, their Voc and Vmp are reduced. The power that the panels produce will be at a hot Vmp... much lower voltage than cold Voc.

When you decide how many panels to put in series, you must play off cable loss against controller inefficiency. For the best controller efficiency you should try have a Vmp that is as low as possible (but at least a few volts higher than your highest battery charging voltage... about 38-40 volts would be ideal for a 24 volt battery). For the least cable loss you want the Vmp to be as high as possible (but not so high that Voc damages the controller).

Bottom line: whether 31.32 volts is the Vmp or the Voc of your panels, the optimal array configuration for those panels on a 24 volt system will be two in series. How large will your array be? How far from the array to the controller? This will determine the size cable you need. If the distance is very far and you need expensive thick cable to transmit the power, it may make sense to increase the array string voltage to save on cable costs... however, this comes at a price.... decreased efficiency and power handling capacity of the controller.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So then there is no significant advantage to over volting the system while staying under the 80 amps. I was just trying to wrap my head around the reasoning for the fm-80 taking 150 vdc
    The advantage of being able to handle the high input voltage is that if the conducting wire run from the panels to the controller is long, higher transmission voltages can be used to overcome / reduce excessive transmission losses in the long wires from the panels to the controller.
    My cousin has such an installation. His panels are over 200 feet from the controller, so for him, using high transmission voltages increases the overall efficiency of the system. Otherwise he'd have to use 3 inch diameter wires. ( 3 inch is an exaggeration to get the point across)
  • burrow_87
    Options

That was just some general numbers off the top of my head. http://sunelec.com/solar-panels/csun-255-60m-watt-solar-panel.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
    these are the panels I am thinking of using. 4 in series with 4 strings. At least to start with. The run from the solar tracker to the battery shed is about 60 feet from the combiner box on the pole. I would like to have enough room to add some panels next summer when I can make another solar track without adding another charge controller. I am old and live off my va disability so I am just trying to design the most flexible system I can while being on a fixed income.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    http://sunelec.com/solar-panels/csun-255-60m-watt-solar-panel.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
    these are the panels I am thinking of using. 4 in series with 4 strings.

That won't work. Four of those panels in series (Voc = 140) will damage the controller. Also, 16 of those panels is way more than an FM80 can handle with a 24 volt battery, no matter how you configure them.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am old and live off my va disability so I am just trying to design the most flexible system I can while being on a fixed income.

Do you have access to grid power? Reason asking - - it's usually a lot cheaper than off grid solar power. When all things are considered, off grid is not cheap.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Do you have access to grid power? Reason asking - - it's usually a lot cheaper than off grid solar power. When all things are considered, off grid is not cheap.

Wayne has it right, you will NOT save money by using solar off grid, some grid tied system can save you money in areas where the grid energy is expensive.

Please look at my previous posts in this thread. If you don't understand them, ask questions.
    ...these are the panels I am thinking of using. 4 in series with 4 strings. At least to start with.
    While the VOC of the 4 panels in series is under the Charge Controller's max, The VOC varies with temperature. The VOC in sub freezing weather will put a string of 4 over the 150Volt level.
    The run from the solar tracker to the battery shed is about 60 feet from the combiner box on the pole.
    Since the run is so far, running a higher number of panels is good thinking, but max for that controller would be 3,
    I would like to have enough room to add some panels next summer when I can make another solar track without adding another charge controller.
    In a 24 volt system, the maximum wattage is governed but the output amperage. The charge controller can handle 80 amps of output. So 80 amps x 24 volts = 1920 Watts.

You can 'over panel' a system. A panel typically only produces 77% of the panel rating. So you can multiply the 1920 x 1.2 = 2304. This would be considered the maximum Cost effective array(a group of panels) for the 80 amp charge controller. For 16 panels you would need 2 - 80 amp charge controllers. At that you would not have much if any room for additional panels without adding charge controllers.
    I am old and live off my va disability so I am just trying to design the most flexible system I can while being on a fixed income.
    If you have grid power available, the grid would be cheaper.
  • burrow_87
    Options

There is no grid power. I live completely off the grid. I have water delivered. No Internet other than my phone and solar will be my only power.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no grid power. I live completely off the grid. I have water delivered. No Internet other than my phone and solar will be my only power.

That does make a solar PV system one of the few options you have. :)

But to maintain your expensive battery bank in response to several cloudy days will still require at least a small generator.
    If you are willing to completely cut off your energy use when the battery bank gets too low, you can do without a generator under some circumstances. but most people will not be in a position to do that.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    But to maintain your expensive battery bank in response to several cloudy days will still require at least a small generator.
    If you are willing to completely cut off your energy use when the battery bank gets too low, you can do without a generator under some circumstances. but most people will not be in a position to do that.

I live without a generator, and have for 12 years, It tends to require a larger system, or willingness to endure some discomfort. My system is sized to run an air conditioner in summer, so I have plenty of reserve for several days of minimal charging in the winter. While if I have hot days of minimal charging in the summer, I will have to reduce my a/c run time or run very low State of Charge (SOC) on my battery. Fortunately our heat typically comes with sun. I had a couple days late this summer when I ran the battery below 50% SOC.

It will be important to have a good idea of your loads to enable sizing the system properly.

It will also be good to know if you have excellent southern exposure and the number of hours per day of sun. Here's one link to a solar insolation (amount of sun you can expect by season and panel angle.
  • burrow_87
    Options

Made my purchases today. System consists of;
    5x 435 watt panels at 60 volts open at 7.25 amps
    Outback FM-80 controller
    vfx 3524 outback inverter
    And 12 trojan l16 re 2volts.

Came out to a tad under $7000.00 just going to keep my little generac gp3300 for a while. Hopefully I didn't miss something ordering this. I got 2/0 wire for the bank. 4/0 wire for the inverter. And I will have a 60 foot run with #2. Did I miss anything?
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Made my purchases today. System consists of;
    5x 435 watt panels at 60 volts open at 7.25 amps
    Outback FM-80 controller
    vfx 3524 outback inverter
    And 12 trojan l16 re 2volts.

Came out to a tad under $7000.00 just going to keep my little generac gp3300 for a while. Hopefully I didn't miss something ordering this. I got 2/0 wire for the bank. 4/0 wire for the inverter. And I will have a 60 foot run with #2. Did I miss anything?

What does "open" mean in the specs for your panels?
    Did I miss anything?
    You need a mate, combiner, numerous circuit breakers, and ground electrodes and ground electrode conductors. It would be smart to have an inverter bypass switch, lightning arresters and a battery monitor.

--vtMaps
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options

Remote battery temp sensor

MN - SPD (surge protector), a couple (DC and AC)

a good hydrometer

those nice ground lugs for the PV panels (WEEB Grounding Lug)
    PV panels mount system ??
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Did I miss anything?

You will want to figure out your number of strings, since you have a 24 volt system, and 5 panels, I'll assume 5 panels in parrellel, You need a combiner box (that holds fuses or breakers) for the panels, likely wire at the array to run to the combiner box, typically you figure out how long the wire run is for each panel and buy a single wire with the correct connectors(MC4 or Tyco, I think there is one other now) and cut the wire so you have the correct connector and bare wire at the other end. Some combiners use connectors as well now so this will depend on your combiner box. Combiner boxes typically Do NOT come with breakers or fuses or strain reliefs for the wires passing through the box.

From the combiner box you will normally want to run to a Breaker box of some sort at the 'power center' either a DC disconnect or Epanel from Midnite, makes things easier. again you will need to add breakers, DC rated for the DC wiring, Since you have such a long run, a single breaker ahead of the Charge Controller(CC) would be handy, as well as a breaker from the CC to the battery. You will also want a large breaker for the inverter a 3500 watt 24v inverter will call for a 250 watt breaker I think, your spec sheet will let you know. I'm fine with just this breaker but many people like to have a breaker or fuse on the battery. If you go with a DC disconnect box, you will want to have a small AC box for a breaker at the inverter, the Epanel will have a place for an AC breaker.

Some would suggest a battery monitor, like the Trimetric, which would require a shunt in the Breaker Box. I would have preferred the Midnite classic CC with their whiz bang Jr, but I guess you made your choice.

Grounding lugs for your panels, and ground wire, grounding rod... Also surge protectors if you're in an area with a good bit of lightning.

I saw a mate suggested, don't know if you need a mate, but others will know more about that, I didn't think I was going to need one when I had planned on an outback inverter.

Maintenance things as others have described, a meter, a DC clamp meter is nice. A hydrometer to check your batteries

If batteries are stored inside your home, a battery compartment with exhaust, Mine live outside, if you have very cold temp batteries have less capacity in the cold, it returns when they warm up.
  • burrow_87
    Options

The combiner box is already mounted to the solar tracker pole. As is the grounding rod and straps. The breakers are already in place minus the battery to inverter and all the solar is in its own shed
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »

I saw a mate suggested, don't know if you need a mate,

The OB Mate is needed in order to program the VFX inverter/charger. You could use the defaults, I suppose, but a Mate is needed to program any changes, set the charger amp limits, EQ settings, etc. . At best only half an inverter/charger without a Mate. Since there is an OB charge controller and an OB inverter a Hub would also be in order. That enables everything to be inter-connected; control/program and read data from both the FM080 and the VFX 3524 through the Mate.

Maybe a FLEXnet DC for data purposes?
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Photowhit
    Options
    The OB Mate is needed in order to program the VFX inverter/charger. You could use the defaults, I suppose, but a Mate is needed to program any changes, set the charger amp limits, EQ settings, etc. . At best only half an inverter/charger without a Mate. Since there is an OB charge controller and an OB inverter a Hub would also be in order. That enables everything to be inter-connected; control/program and read data from both the FM080 and the VFX 3524 through the Mate.

Thanks, also understand why I don't need it, Midnite classic CC and no generator/other power source.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    The combiner box is already mounted to the solar tracker pole. As is the grounding rod and straps. The breakers are already in place minus the battery to inverter and all the solar is in its own shed

Solar tracker? I thought those needed to have hardware/brackets for the panels? 5 - 4 foot by 7 foot panels might be interesting to mount.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    Since there is an OB charge controller and an OB inverter a Hub would also be in order. That enables everything to be inter-connected; control/program and read data from both the FM080 and the VFX 3524 through the Mate.

Maybe a FLEXnet DC for data purposes?

Not much reason to buy a hub unless you do buy the flexnet DC.

I have an Outback inverter and charge controller and no hub (and no flexnetDC). The VFX and the FM60 each have their own $25 RTS (remote temp sensor). If I had purchased a hub, the VFX and the FM60 could share one RTS. Also, a hub would allow me to see some of the data from the FM60 screen on the mate's screen... this may be useful if the mate is in the house while the equipment is in a shed somewhere.

If you have a flexnetDC, the hub is essential to get all the neat features are available in a VFX-FM60-flexnetDC system.

--vtMaps