Scrobby Solar - Solar Panel Cleaning Robot

mtdoc
mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
I haven't seen this posted here yet.

Scrobby Solar on Kickstarter

It might seem a bit gimicky at first glance but I actually think it could be very useful for some installations.

The developer has been answering some questions on the EEV Blog Forum

We'll see if it gets funded.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Scrobby Solar - Solar Panel Cleaning Robot

It will be interesting to see if it happens.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Interesting, I'd try one if the cost was in reason .
    Right now Im doing a test on 2 100 watt-ers & two new 305W units , both 305w I have build spec sheets of production , the 100w units have 4 years history & records.

http://www.dfisolutions.com/surfaces-we-improve/solar/

Above link is a chemical that cost lots.
    I bought enough for a "shower " Ill be able to do 2 units for testing & see if there is any difference .
    I have webbed feet from all the rain we get on the Pacific Wet Coast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUyBg479V3g#t=46

Time will tell
    VT
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

Roomba solar panel shading device.

The Germans beat him to it. They showed one at Intersolar this year. Was commercial/industrial, but was also on a linear track.
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

We've got a Roomba and we love it!

As I understand it the Scrobby only works when it's raining so presumably shading then is not an issue. It even comes with its own bolt on parking platform to prevent shading when not in use.

I believe the issue with the industrial cleaners is the cost. This one is cheap by comparison.

He may not reach his funding goal but I think there's got to be a market for something like this that is done right and affordable for small PV systems.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    mtdoc wrote: »
    He may not reach his funding goal but I think there's got to be a market for something like this that is done right and affordable for small PV systems.

The consumer's decision whether to buy a cleaning system is similar to the decision whether to buy a tracker...

Do I get more bang for the buck by just buying another panel, or by buying a cleaning system or tracker? When panels are cheap, there is less incentive to wring every last kwh out of them by cleaning or tracking. Sort of like when gasoline was cheap.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe so. But i occasionally wonder about wet weather performance. The frosted nature of the glass is designed to minimise (or appear to) reflection, at off angles. However whenenever its raining and bright, ( we get that alot living on a mountain, sun comes from one direction, rain from another), i notice the reflection increases quite noticably. At a time when you most need it, more light being lost to reflection. I guess because the rain fills the pores in the frosting. I kinda wonder whether some kind of silicone water beading type forumlaton would help there...
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar