New system insulated battery box??

Options
90cummins
90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
I'm in the process of installing a new Schneider Electric (Xantrex) XW4024-120/240-60 Inverter/Charger.
The installation manual suggests installing the batteries in an insulated battery for proper temperature monitoring and charging.
The batteries will be kept in an unheated space so I built a 3/4" plywood box on a small pallet and insulated it (sides & bottom) with 3/4" foil faced foam board which will be covered with 1/4" plywood.
I also installed 2 vents for ventilation.
I used 4/0 cable and a Blue Seas 300a switch & fuse for disconnect and protection and an Anderson 350a connector so I can remove the entire battery pack.

Thoughts/concerns wanted.
Thanks 90cummins

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: New system insulated battery box??

What sort of ambient temperatures does this battery space experience? Ventilation provided?
    Insulation can work against you as well as for you. What you need to aim for is consistent temperature of batteries, preferably around 21C/70F.
  • 90cummins
    Options

I have no experience with deep cell batteries. My system has not been energized yet, I'm waiting on a Xantrex system controller and 6/4 cable.

90cummins
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Assuming the system is in Florida--You do not need an insulated box. Just a well ventilated box to keep it safe from metal objects falling on the battery bank or kids playing with the terminals.

If you have lots of salt air/humidity--Keeping the batteries dry/clean will be a big help.

More or less, ~77F (25C) is standard temperature for the battery bank. For every 18F (10C) increase in battery temperature, there is a 1/2 reduction in life (95F average battery temperature is going to cut 1/2 off the years of service)--So keeping the batteries "cool" is probably going to be your bigger issue (shady side of home/behind sun screen, good ventilation at night for cooling, ground/concrete floor or even below ground level--assuming you don't hit water/flood in winter), etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options

Also--Have you measured the specific gravity of the cells/resting voltage (cells/batteries)? And logged them to a note book? You want the battery >75% State of charge when in storage (recharge back to ~>90-100% SOC at least once per month).

More or less, an average flooded cell battery needs a good charging for 1 day per month (minimum) or they will self discharge and sulfate. A flooded cell battery stored without charging of some sort will (probably) be ruined in 6-12 months.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • 90cummins
    Options

I live in the North East Florida Ma. not the state of Florida thus the insulated battery box.
    I numbered the batteries 1 thru 4 and measured & recorded the specific gravity and also the voltage at rest. I've also had them on a float charge a couple days a week.
    I hope to get my system up by this weekend if I didn't overlook any details.
    90cummins
  • BB.
    Options

Oops--Wrong Florida.

-Bill :-)