Im new, have a few questions about designing a new system that need answers please.

Options
cliff4079
cliff4079 Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello,
First of all, thanks for the awesome forum. I have been pouring over it for days now to learn what I can. I have learned a lot, but could still use some personalized help.

So, long story short I have acquired a second home/hunting property in western Michigan. It is rather remote so no grid power is available. My power demands will be minimal, I know everyone says to figure out your demands before you design a system but the fact is that I will only be there maybe 3-4 days at a time a few times a month at most. All I need is enough power to run a 1hp well pump and a few cfl bulbs on occasion. There is no television. The fridge, stove, and heat are all propane/wood only. No consumption there. If affordable I would like to possibly switch the fridge to an energy star electric. I have a generator for any larger loads like power tools and such, and if necessary could use to charge batteries. Its just a pain to go start the gen everytime I want to turn on a light or the pressure tank is low on the well.

With that being said, I am thinking of building a 24v system. I have a good line on Deka 6v golf cart batteries, should I build one bank of 4 or two banks of 4 paralleled?

Depending on that recommendation, what would you guys recommend for cost-effective panels for charging either the one or two banks and a controller to match? I'm leaning toward the two banks because a lot of the time spent there will be in the winter months when the sun is less than optimal but if I can store enough power for a few days there will be plenty of time for recharge between use. Also an example of a wiring diagram would be awesome, and any other advice would be much appreciated. Im pretty handy with wiring/electricity but new to solar.

Thanks for all the awesome help!!!!

Cliff

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Im new, have a few questions about designing a new system that need answers please.

Welcome to the forum Cliff.

You say your power demands will be minimal, and so it would seem. Until you want to power that 1 HP pump. Even though it won't run long the amount of power it needs to run at all isn't minimal. In all likelihood it is 240 VAC and will require up to 15 Amps to start.

So there you have a situation where one load skews the whole system to something much, much larger than the rest requires. One option: use a generator to power the pump when needed, store water up in a large pressure tank.

Next you're considering changing to an electric refrigerator. Again that's a difference between a few lights and so what if they go out and needing over 1 kW hour per day. For short-term use sticking with the propane is probably much cheaper than a huge capital expenditure needed to power a refrigerator 3 days a month.

Then you mention using four 6 Volt Deka GC2's (I assume) in a 24 Volt system. Are you made of money? Because a single string of those is 220 Amp hours @ 24 Volts and is going to need like 685 Watts of panel to charge. We're no longer talking small and especially not inexpensive here. This is MPPT controller and inverter-charger territory. Do you want thousands of dollars in equipment sitting in the woods unused most of the time?

We started out with zero electricity for what was then an occasional use cabin. Added a small panel to keep the radio phone battery up. As we could spend more and more time there the electrical desires increased, and we ended up investing $8,000 in a 24 Volt system that can run the refrigerator and water pump and satellite connection and everything else. But usually we are there half the year, so it is worth it ($2 per kW hour electric there as opposed to ten cent per kW hour in town).

I'd suggest a generator and small 12 Volt lighting only system to start with. Save your money. If the future allows more time at the cabin then consider going whole-hog on solar electric.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,445 admin
    Options
    Re: Im new, have a few questions about designing a new system that need answers please.

Welcome to the forum Cliff.

Yep--It does come down to loads. That is the reason for the off grid power system--If the system does not power your loads, then it is of little use.

And an over designed/expensive system costs more to maintain (batteries still age and fail) and, if in the middle of no-where, then theft is a real concern too.

Your loads--They are problematic. High efficiency lighting is a great start--Look at LED... CFL's tend to take a while to start/warm up in cold climates (as you probably know better than I here in California).

The 1 hp pump is the problem. It takes a lot of energy to start/run -- But for a cabin, it does not run long and therefore you need a large battery bank+inverter to run the pump, but the bank may be way over-sized for your needs otherwise (a 100 watts of power to run lights, charge cell phones, run a laptop, etc. a few hours per day).

My first point to address would be the water pump. Options include getting a new pump that runs from AC (or DC) that is more efficient/smaller. Most people do not really need a 1 HP pump running hours a day unless a very deep well, irrigation systems etc. But these "solar friendly pumps" are not cheap either.

An alternative would be to use a simple/cheap genset to pump water to a cistern, then use a 12 or 24 VDC pump to pressurize the cabin plumbing (aka like an RV pump). Can run cold water and even a small RV water heater, or tankless water heater. Does not take much of a battery bank to run this kind of pump.

Alternatives--The almost mythical/magical LiFePO4 battery (getting where I can touch type LiFePO4 pretty well now :p) could be in interesting solution. Lots of current to run the well pump + big inverter (perhaps even a big/cheap MSW inverter). But still smallish AH capacity (enough to run small loads) and light enough that you can haul home (if theft is an issue--LiFePO4 batteries are not cheap). The only other major draw back for the LiFePO4 (got to keep in practice typing that), is that they don't work well under freezing--So you have to keep it "warm" in the cabin, or at least a well insulated box.

So--What would a 4x 6 volt @ 215 AH battery bank system look like....

First, the "average power" would be 1-2 days of storage (backup genset) and 50% maximum discharge (for long life):
    • 24 volt * 215 AH * 1/2 days of storage * 0.50 max discharge * 0.85 AC inverter eff = 1,097 WH per day average
    That is a ~1kWH per day system for a cabin--You should have plenty of power for your daily needs--Assuming the water pump runs for 10's of minutes per day (no irrigation, etc.).

Then, there are two calculations need to keep the batteries happy. First is 5% to 13% rate of charge for your battery bank. For a weekend cabin, you can probably get away with 5% rate of charge--But 10% to 13% rate of charge is nice, especially now that solar panel pricing is historically cheap.
    • 215 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 405 Watt array minimum
    • 215 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 810 Watt array nominal
    • 215 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 1,053 Watt array cost effective maximum
    Next, you need to size the array based on the amount of power you need and amount of sun you will be receiving. Using PV Watts for a fixed array tilted to 45 degrees, in Houghton MI:
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      2.56     
    2      3.70     
    3      4.68     
    4      5.72     
    5      5.25     
    6      5.56     
    7      5.58     
    8      5.38     
    9      4.48     
    10      3.20     
    11      2.09     
    12      2.11     
    Year      4.19

For winter, mounting panels vertical with room for snow to slide off (90 degrees):
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      2.56     
    2      3.70      
    10      3.20     
    11      2.09     
    12      2.11     
    Year      4.19

If you assume 1,097 WH per day average loads, and 4.0 hours minimum sun (mid Feb to mid October):
    • 1,097 WH * 1/0.52 system end to end eff * 1/4.0 hours of sun = 527 Watt array minimum
    If you wanted that amount of power in deep winter with 2.0 hours of sun per day:
    • 1,097 WH * 1/0.52 system end to end eff * 1/2.0 hours of sun = 1,055 Watt array minimum
    So, somewhere between a 527 Watt and a 1,055 Watt array would make sense for your system. You would always start with the smaller array and add more panels later if needed.

And what would a 24 volt @ 215 AH battery bank power?
    • 24 volts * 215 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * C/20 Hour rate = 219 Watt "average load" 5 hours per night
    • 24 volts * 215 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * C/8 Hour rate = 548 Watt maximum continuous rated load
    • 24 volts * 215 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * C/5 Hour rate = 887 Watt short term maximum load (hour or so)
    • 24 volts * 215 AH * 0.85 inverter eff * C/2.5 Hour rate = 1,754 Watt surge load (seconds to minutes starting well pump, etc.)
    So--It appears it would be possible to run your well pump from this bank--But it is close. In cold weather (sub 50F battery bank temperature), you might have problems plumping with the 1 HP pump.

Your thoughts?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cliff4079
    Options

I think I could pretty easily down size the pump to 1/2 hp 120v and a larger pressure tank, that would help quite a bit I think. I will also switch to led bulbs, I know they are more efficient I just had the cfl's on hand but a watt saved is a watt earned :) So if I go with two banks of 4 GC2 batteries (sorry I forgot to specify on my original post) and 6 possibly

http://www.solar-electric.com/solar-panels-mounts-kits-accessories/solarpanels/hiposopa/solarworld-sunmodule-sw240-monocrystalline-black-solar-panel.html

panels.

Do you think that would be adequate for my current demands and possibly and energy star fridge in the near future? I would like to be able to leave the fridge on 24/7 to keep essentials there and cold, AKA beer and ketchup :)

Also charge controller recommendations?

I will match an inverter to my needs once I decide on a new well pump, and will probably go overkill on that to give me more wiggle room on the future loads.

And to answer the previous questions, no I'm not made of money but I figure the convenience of not messing with a gen set all the time + a happy wife is worth quite a bit :)
    Theft shouldn't be an issue, when I say remote I mean not a soul for at least 1/2 mile plus my place is a mile off a marked road and backs up to a national forest, but those LiFePo4 batteries are steep per AH so I won't be getting those lol.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Well four GC2's @ 220 Amp hours & 6 Volts would make a 24 Volt system fairly similar to my own, and it manages to run the refrigerator and water pump. You'd have up to 2.2 kW hours stored in the batteries. If you can control the pump on time to when the batteries are charged and the panels still producing the system efficiency will be better.

Six 240 Watt panels is going to make twice as much power as those GC2's require: about 46 Amps. You should either eliminate some panel or program a current limit in to the MPPT charge controller (required as those SolarWorld panels have a Vmp of 30.6 so you need two in series for a 24 Volt system and the MPPT to down-convert the higher Voltage to current).

Walking away from a running refrigerator for extended periods is taking a gamble. If the system shuts down for any reason ... you have a box full of rotted food. Beer and ketchup would probably survive.

Four of those 240 Watt panels with a MidNite Kid 30 Amp MPPT controller would be a good match for the GC2's; you'd get about 30 Amps peak current and about 2kW hours AC per (4 hour) day. You'll need an inverter capable of handling the start surge of both pump and refrigerator, either of which will demand over 1kW. That shouldn't be a problem on 24 Volts. If you want a built-in AC charger it will add to the cost. The other option is a stand-alone unit. Here's a couple of ideas:

Samlex SA 1500 http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/sasiwain1/samlex-sa-series-pure-sine-wave-inverters/samlex-sa-1500-124-sine-wave-inverter.html $506 + Iota 25 Amp 24 Volt charger http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/bach2/bach1/ioten25amp24.html $233 = $739

Outback FX2524 inverter-charger http://www.solar-electric.com/inverters-controllers-accessories/inverters/ouin/oupooffgrand/outback-power-pure-sinewave-inverter-fx2524t.html $1,633 + MATE interface $214 = $1,847

As you can see the inverter-charger costs much more, but naturally it can do more. Whether you'd ever make use of those functions (like automatic gen start) is another matter.
  • cliff4079
    Options

Thanks for the advice!

So just to make sure I have it all right - 2 sets of 2 of those panels wired in series then paralled into the midnite kid 30 amp controller with the one bank of 4 gc2's would likely be adequate for a fridge and a 1/2 hp well pump? I already have a 24v charger, I think its 50 amps, will double check though. I like the Samlex inverter, I think I will pick that one up or maybe a slightly bigger one.

The one last question for the day is should I get an auto start for my generator to juice the charger just in cast the batteries run low while I'm not around? Its a honda eu3500? I believe. If I should, are there any cheaper yet still reliable options other than the magnum energy one?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    cliff4079 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice!

So just to make sure I have it all right - 2 sets of 2 of those panels wired in series then paralled into the midnite kid 30 amp controller with the one bank of 4 gc2's would likely be adequate for a fridge and a 1/2 hp well pump? I already have a 24v charger, I think its 50 amps, will double check though. I like the Samlex inverter, I think I will pick that one up or maybe a slightly bigger one.

Four panels wired as two in series and then the strings in parallel. No combiner box or fuses/breakers needed, 960 Watts. Should produce 30 Amps maxing out the Kid. Definitely enough to recharge 220 Amp hours @ 24 Volts.
    The one last question for the day is should I get an auto start for my generator to juice the charger just in cast the batteries run low while I'm not around? Its a honda eu3500? I believe. If I should, are there any cheaper yet still reliable options other than the magnum energy one?

Good question. It's all down to how much energy will be produced vs. used while you're not there to watch, and of course the consequences should the system shut down. Then it gets complicated because not all generators will work with AGS: needs automatic choke and electric start. And you need something in the system that has AGS: not every charge controller or inverter does. Probably safe to say most don't. Otherwise you end up building your own (detect low battery Voltage, interface with generator). Even an AGS may fail so you still have the consequences.

In theory the 220 Amp hours would run a refrigerator for two days with minimal sun. Day three you start the gen if needed. You could always try it without, and then wait to see if failure occurs before going the extra mile for AGS. The Samlex does not have this ability, the Outback does.
  • cliff4079
    Options

Wow, that was fast! They should start paying you guys :)

I was looking at

http://www.solar-electric.com/installation-parts-and-equipment/electrical-devices-transfer-switches-noise-filters/autrswandgea/maenmeaugest.html

They have a wiring diagram for my generator, it is electric start/auto choke. I reviewed the instructions and they say

"1.0 Introduction
    The Automatic Generator Start - Standalone version (
    ME-AGS-S
    ) from
    Magnum Energy is designed as a standalone device. It will automatically
    start your generator based on low battery voltage and/or a high temperature
    condition."

Would that work with the current proposed setup?
  • BB.
    Options

The more complex the system, the more wild and wonderful ways the system can fail.

Off grid solar is difficult to leave it running unattended. You have the choice of automating health status via Internet (i.e., simply report state of charge, battery voltage, etc.) or automate recovery (panels fail, poor sun, etc.) and have an AGS on a genset.

Then, if the genset fails to start... What then, a second genset + AGS? And generators are known to catch fire, crank until the starting battery dies, etc.

I am certainly on the side the keep is simple. I.e., it is cheaper to bring food back/toss a bit of excess food than to create a power system that can keep the food in the freezer cold for months at a time. And save the battery bank from getting over discharge in poor weather/during a genset failure.

Simple monitoring may be a good option if the place is close enough to visit to address problems or there is a neighbor near by to prevent damaging your battery bank (i.e., the price of a killing the battery bank vs the cost of wasted food).

Not right or wrong answers on off grid/backup power--Power usage is a highly personal set of choices... Those solutions have to make sense to you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cliff4079
    Options

Thanks for the wise advice, I think I will skip the AGS for now.

One last question before I order, is my choice of panel wise? or is there a better option for my setup in the price range of the panels I linked?
  • BB.
    Options

What size array/system (I gave you a range of solar panels and a rough amount of power it would supply based on one string of batteries--You were asking about 2 strings too).

Will you have a backup genset? How much energy use per day winter vs summer, etc... 1/2 HP well pump? etc...

Basically, you will want to do these as paper designs first and run out the pricing and capabilities vs your needs.

In general, for a cabin that is used seasonally, a few days at a time--You probably would want to keep the system small (1 string battery bank), 1/2 HP or less water pump, size the array to run your power needs in the summer, and use a small genset to bump the batteries with a couple of hours of charging ever day or two in winter... (something like a Honda eu2000i or similar ~2kWatt Yamaha inverter-generator--Quiet, light weight (take come for security), and pretty fuel efficient--A gallon of fuel would last you several days).

Again--What makes most sense to you (minimum solar array, genset run time+fuel; or lots of solar panels and not very much run time regarding winter use). Will you tilt the array vertical in winter to help them shed snow?

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    cliff4079 wrote: »
    Thanks for the wise advice, I think I will skip the AGS for now.

One last question before I order, is my choice of panel wise? or is there a better option for my setup in the price range of the panels I linked?

Sufficient Watts, fit in space available (be sure you check the dimensions), budget-friendly. That's the selection criteria for most cases.

Remember this panels are fairly large and not so easy to handle. I put up a couple of 260's this year and that was about my limit for one person installation.