Maximum and minimum battery voltage

Options
kansas
kansas Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
I've just started up my self designed system. I just need a couple of lights and use of a laptop and CD player from time to time in a remote cabin.

I have two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; two 6 volt US batteries, wired in series; a ProStar 30 charge controller and a SureSine 300 inverter, both by MorningStar. I also have a MorningStar RM-1 remote meter.

The meter should provide the current voltage, as well as the "maximum" and "minimum" voltage. The current voltage varies between 12.62 and 12.43 volts.

The only load has been the RM=1, the inverter, and a 9.5 watt LED bulb run for just a few minutes a couple of times. The weather has been sunny.

I tested the PV panels before installing and each showed 17 + volts in full sun. Everything powered up with lights blinking as per manual instructions.

The RM-1 meter displays a maximum voltage of 12.70, and a minimum voltage of 0.87. The meter will not clear these numbers when I follow the procedure the manual says should clear them. Any ideas why these are the meter readings? Shouldn't the maximum be higher than 12.70? And what could 0.87 mean as a minimum?

The panels are pole mounted about 20 feet from the charge controller wired with #6 AWG building wire. Any ideas?

I guess I should check the battery state of charge at the batteries with my multimeter.

[I have put paragraph breaks in your post--I suggest that everyone avoid a "block of text" for Q&A's... This makes it much more difficult for people to read and reply to your questions. -Bill "a suggestion" B.]
Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Maximum and minimum battery voltage
    kansas wrote: »
    I've just started up my self designed system. I just need a couple of lights and use of a laptop and CD player from time to time in a remote cabin.

Welcome to the Forum Kansas--My first suggestion is to understand/measure your loads. Solar power is, relatively, expensive. It is easy to over design a system and over pay (and extra maintenance costs as your battery bank is over sized and costs you more money to replace after X years, etc.).

So--Along those lines, getting a meter or three to measure your loads is a good start. Your RM-1 meter may give you enough information--But these are also very handing:

Kill-a-Watt type meter (good for 120 VAC; world versions are good for 230 VAC)
    DC Amp*Hour/Watt*Hour meters
    AC/DC Current Clamp DMM (digital multi-meter).

Straight Ampere (and Watt) meters are OK--But getting meters that totalize the usage over 24 hours (or longer) is really nice for cycling/variable loads (refrigerators that may run 20 minutes out of every 60 minutes, etc.)... You plug in a WH or AH meter for 24 hours--And you know your daily loads.
    I have two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; two 6 volt US batteries, wired in series; a ProStar 30 charge controller and a SureSine 300 inverter, both by MorningStar. I also have a MorningStar RM-1 remote meter.

I like to design a "balanced" system. The loads drive the battery bank, and the battery bank+loads drive the charging requirements (solar panels, available sun, backup genset, etc.).

So making a guess that these are ~220 AH @ 6 volt batteries, you have a 220 AH @ 12 volt battery bank. The recommended rate of charge is around 5% to 13% or so with solar power:

220 AH * 5% = 11 amps minimum
    220 AH * 10% = 22 amps nominal
    220 AH * 13% = 29 amps "cost effective maximum"

Your two standard Kyocera panels (good panels, good brand) will give you roughly a typical peak current of:

2*140Watt panels * 0.77 panel+controller derating * 1/14.5 volts charging = 14.9 Amps typical max charging current.

That falls between 5% to 10% rate of charge--Not a lot of charging current, but enough to keep the batteries happy with weekend/seasonal usage (and keep an eye on the battery state of charge). You could put 2 more panels (4 total) and have very nicely paneled system (probably would need a larger Amp rated charge controller).

Depending on when you visit the cabin and where it is located, typically you would see between 4-6 hours of sun (4 hours early spring/late fall; possibly 5-6 hours of sun in summer). In winter, it can be a lot less (again depending on location, weather, shading, etc.).

4 hour of sun * 2*140 Watt panels * 0.52 end to end AC system eff = 582 WH per day typically sunny day minimum available power.

If your laptop takes 30 watts, you could run:

582 Watt*Hours / 30 Watts laptop = 19.4 hours a day or better for 9 months of the year (guessing)
    The meter should provide the current voltage, as well as the "maximum" and "minimum" voltage. The current voltage varies between 12.62 and 12.43 volts.

Lead Acid batteries are not "volt meter" friendly. Their voltage will vary with state of charge, temperature, and amount of current entering/leaving the battery. See this post for details:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?5556-Working-Thread-for-Solar-Beginner-Post-FAQ&p=125909#post125909

Basically, a (3 hour minimum, ~77F temperature) resting lead acid storage battery should be (very roughly) be around 12.3 to 12.7 volts. Below 12.3 volts, the battery is less than ~50% state of charge and should be quickly recharged >80% SOC. At 12.7 and above (again zero current flow), rest battery will be fully charged.

When charging the battery, if typical lead acid, you should see ~14.4 to 14.7 volts for 2-6 hours (absorb), then fall back to around 13.6 to 13.8 volts "float" or maintenance charging (in full sun).

If the battery is well discharged, it will be below ~14.5 volts for several hours while the charge is putting full amperage into the battery bank (Bulk charging stage). Absorb is a fixed voltage that is head for 2-4+ hours as the battery finishes charging.
    The only load has been the RM=1, the inverter, and a 9.5 watt LED bulb run for just a few minutes a couple of times. The weather has been sunny.

The inverter--That can draw ~6 watts just turned on and nothing plugged in, or >300-600 Watts when running a heavy load/starting a pump/etc.

300 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/12 volt battery = 29.4 amps--A pretty healthy load on your 12 VDC battery bank.
    I tested the PV panels before installing and each showed 17 + volts in full sun. Everything powered up with lights blinking as per manual instructions.

Usually in full sun, the Kyocera panels should be near 20-21 volts or so with no load (Voc voltage open circuit). If they are very hot, Voc will be depressed (Voc from the Mfg. is spec'ed at ~75F degree panels, in full sun they get much hotter).
    The RM-1 meter displays a maximum voltage of 12.70, and a minimum voltage of 0.87. The meter will not clear these numbers when I follow the procedure the manual says should clear them. Any ideas why these are the meter readings? Shouldn't the maximum be higher than 12.70? And what could 0.87 mean as a minimum?

I really do not know much about the controller. Hopefully somebody here can help you with reseting the max/min voltages. Most controllers will not work below ~10 volts--So 0.87 could be just disconnecting the controller from the battery bank as the controller has just enough power to log the voltage before its brains "go away".

12.7 volts--Yes, you are correct, at some point with full sun and charging system working as expected (and no or light DC/AC loads), you should see around 13.6 to 14.7 volts or so. If you are not seeing >14.0 volts, the system is not charging correctly (if the batteries are not fully charged).
    The panels are pole mounted about 20 feet from the charge controller wired with #6 AWG building wire. Any ideas?

DC Current Clamp DMM (above). Very quick way for you to measure DC (and AC) current flow anywhere in the system. A great way to understand and debug your system. Not needed--But usually well worth the $60 or so price.
    I guess I should check the battery state of charge at the batteries with my multimeter.

And get a glass hydrometer--That is the gold standard for measuring a flooded cell battery state of charge. If you want a really nice hydrometer, look at the Hydrovolt from Midnite (meter is out of Europe).

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=505&productCatName=Battery%20Accessories&productCat_ID=39&sortOrder=1&act=pc

Questions?

-Bill

PS: don't worry about my re-formatting--Just trying to help.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • kansas
    Options

BB - thanks for your detailed response. Some details about me and my needs:

I put some effort and research into designing my system and think you've identified its strengths and weaknesses pretty well. Given the expense, I tried to design what I would call a "right sized" system with components adequate for their job, but no more than that. The fun of our cabin has been in making do and electricity will be a real luxury after years of reading by lamp light. Key to making the system work will be living within what's available; using the electricity intelligently. More panels would be better, but would sit idle most of the time. However, my daughter will be camped out in the cabin this winter trying to get some writing done, which has been the impetus to put in some sort of solar power, as I had planned from the beginning. I wired the cabin for AC when I built it, so an inverter was easy to justify. That, and the fact that powering an Apple laptop directly from DC is apparently unthinkable (you must be an Apple devotee to understand) made the inverter the only real option.

The folks at Morningstar responded promptly to my question about their remote meter and it appears it may have a flaw. The reading for present voltage is consistent with my meter reading at the battery. The maximum and minimum values are supposed to be voltage values as measured at the inverter, to which the meter attaches. The meter is now "stuck" on two values that are not based on my batteries and that cannot be zeroed out. I'm sure Morningstar will make it right.

I would like to be able to monitor the charging current being delivered by the PV panels, but that option isn't available from MorningStar except for their MPPT controllers. The ProStar 30 controller has an equalizing charge every 25 days that I would also like to monitor. They have a 30 amp controller that has a built in monitor, but my controller, etc. and under the cabin in the "stoop" space, so a basic remote meter seemed useful. Any thoughts on how to expand my ability to keep track of the system remotely or otherwise?

I'm anxious to see how the system performs this winter. All it has to do is keep the 60 watt laptop charged for 8 hrs/ day, 5 days a week; and light a couple of 10 watt LED bulbs 4 or 5 hours a day if the sun shines. If it doesn't, the oil lamps are ready to go.

On the expense issue, I will say this. When we started to use the cabin a lot I bought a propane refrigerator, which was not cheap. And though it doesn't use much propane on a daily basis, the cost adds up to a couple hundred bucks over the course of a year with the frig on all the time. If I had the choice to make now, I would have added more solar, bought a Frostfire frig, and avoided the continuing cost of propane. But I need propane for the gas range anyway, I guess.

NEW QUESTION: Any ideas on powering the Apple laptop directly from the DC load center on the charge controller.

Thanks again! Bill in Lawrence, Kansas
    Two 140 watt Kyocera panels, wired in parallel; Ironridge top of pole mount; two 6 volt, 242 AH US batteries, wired in series; Morningstar ProStar 30 charge controller and SureSine 300 inverter; Trimetric 2025-A meter; IOTA DLS-45 charger, Honda EG3500X generator; Aermotor 702 water pumping windmill.
  • kansas
    Options

BB - one other thing. You say at below 12.3 volts the battery will be below 50% state of charge. An article on the NAWS website suggests that 12.18 volts is 50% state of charge. Not a big difference, I guess.

Also, I understand that batteries are expected to last for more charge cycles the less depleted they are at the time of charge. Dumb question, but is a charge cycle the same as a day/ night cycle?

Bill
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dumb question, but is a charge cycle the same as a day/ night cycle?

Bill
    Not a dumb question, and you may actually get subtly different answers.
    Some people count "micro cycles" as reducing the life of the batteries, where a micro cycle would be, for example, running an intermittent heavy load during the peak solar hours so that the batteries may go between charging and discharging several time over the course of a few hours. Not as bad an effect as a deep cycle, but probably measurable if you did a controlled experiment.
    Now you could have a full cycle between 80% SOC and 100% SOC every day, if the weather is good and you have enough panel power.
    Or you could have one deeper cycle, between say 50% SOC and 100% SOC over the course of three days if cloudy/dark.
    Or you could have cycles somewhere in between, say between 75% and 85% every day with a charge all the way to 100% once a week. The smaller daily cycles would not cause as much stress on the battery as going all the way between 75% and 100%, because a lot of the damage happens in the last 5-10% of the charging.
    And if you cycle between 60% SOC and 70% SOC regularly without getting back above 90% for a week or two, you will lose capacity to sulfation and the cycle life is not longer the life determining factor.

As a rule of thumb for comparison, the way most people manage their battery banks, yes, it would be one cycle per day. :)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    Options
    BB -

You can call me "Bill" (really is my name). ;)
    I put some effort and research into designing my system and think you've identified its strengths and weaknesses pretty well. Given the expense, I tried to design what I would call a "right sized" system with components adequate for their job, but no more than that. The fun of our cabin has been in making do and electricity will be a real luxury after years of reading by lamp light. Key to making the system work will be living within what's available; using the electricity intelligently. More panels would be better, but would sit idle most of the time. However, my daughter will be camped out in the cabin this winter trying to get some writing done, which has been the impetus to put in some sort of solar power, as I had planned from the beginning. I wired the cabin for AC when I built it, so an inverter was easy to justify. That, and the fact that powering an Apple laptop directly from DC is apparently unthinkable (you must be an Apple devotee to understand) made the inverter the only real option.

You did a great job of balancing the design for a weekend/seasonal cabin. Personally, with the price and ease of killing batteries--I tend to go with the idea of more panels/less batteries--And make up with genset (small Honda or Yamaha inverter-generator type--quiet and fuel efficient--if needed).

Using PV Watts for Topeka KS, fixed array, 40 degrees from horizontal:
    Month    Solar Radiation (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      4.00     
    2      4.47     
    3      5.07     
    4      5.21     
    5      5.47     
    6      5.79     
    7      5.80     
    8      5.91     
    9      5.46     
    10      4.78     
    11      3.96     
    12      3.40     
    Year      4.95

Assuming that Topeka is close/similar weather & sun--Still have pretty good sun for winter:

2*140 Watt panels * 0.52 system eff * 3.4 hours of sun = 495 WH per day average December day
    The folks at Morningstar responded promptly to my question about their remote meter and it appears it may have a flaw...

I hope they do right by you.

At some point, I would suggest you look at a Trimetric or similar Battery Monitor (Victron is another good brand). Great for family/guests/kids that you don't really want checking the battery specific gravity (spouse factor, acid, mess, etc.). Not perfect--But usually good enough to help prevent killing the battery bank. Battery monitors are not cheap and hard to justify for smaller battery banks. But for larger battery banks, if it saves you from an "ah heck" situation--They can pay from themselves.

At least, start with a smaller/cheaper set of batteries until you work out the bugs and get experience for the next couple years--Then you can size/spec. your next bank for your known needs.
    I would like to be able to monitor the charging current being delivered by the PV panels, but that option isn't available from MorningStar except for their MPPT controllers. The ProStar 30 controller has an equalizing charge every 25 days that I would also like to monitor. They have a 30 amp controller that has a built in monitor, but my controller, etc. and under the cabin in the "stoop" space, so a basic remote meter seemed useful. Any thoughts on how to expand my ability to keep track of the system remotely or otherwise?

Remotely, in the cabin or over the Internet? A Battery Monitor will tell you a lot. If you grow the system, there are quite a few MPPT charge controllers that can give you a lot more & remote data. Of course, that is several times the price a a PWM controller, and if you want Internet--That is more power too.

And, with a remote seasonal cabin--You may not want to put too much money onsite with lack of security... It is a tough balancing act.
    I'm anxious to see how the system performs this winter. All it has to do is keep the 60 watt laptop charged for 8 hrs/ day, 5 days a week; and light a couple of 10 watt LED bulbs 4 or 5 hours a day if the sun shines. If it doesn't, the oil lamps are ready to go.

Probably more panels if you want to meet the above... For the computer, plug it into a Kill-a-Watt type meter. Many times, the computer will average 20-30 Watts when running--Pulling 60+ Watts is usually only during recharging (and/or a gaming/high power processor+memory+etc.). If writing, crank the computer down to high efficiency mode--And you might get down to 5 Watt range on a late model Macbook Air or similar.

Remember about 20% of the losses in the 52% end to end AC efficiency is based on recharging the main battery bank. If the computer is used mostly during the day, you will save some energy (0.52/0.80=) 0.65 end to end "typical" daytime efficiency (powering computer from array directly vs stored energy in battery bank at night).
    On the expense issue, I will say this. When we started to use the cabin a lot I bought a propane refrigerator, which was not cheap. And though it doesn't use much propane on a daily basis, the cost adds up to a couple hundred bucks over the course of a year with the frig on all the time. If I had the choice to make now, I would have added more solar, bought a Frostfire frig, and avoided the continuing cost of propane. But I need propane for the gas range anyway, I guess.

Yep--It is a close call... Build out a significantly larger off grid power system (larger panels, batteries, AC inverter--If DC fridge, the inverter and battery bank can be smaller, but DC refrigerators are usually "scary" more costly). Propane, if easy to get to your cabin, is not a bad choice.
    NEW QUESTION: Any ideas on powering the Apple laptop directly from the DC load center on the charge controller.

I am perfectly OK with running the laptop from an AC inverter--Personally, I usually prefer the AC inverter to other devices. Running 12 VDC around a cabin and to "12 VDC car adapters" is not easy. Lots of copper (12 VDC is 10x the current of a 120 VAC cable), and the wide range of 12 VDC (~10.5 to 15+ VDC) can kill many "car type" power adapters. You lose 15% through the AC inverter--Just need 15% more panels and batteries.

One issue with your battery bank--Ideally we are looking for 5% to 13% rate of charge into the battery bank... If you have day time loads, they can draw enough power to keep you from hitting 5% rate of charge minimum on the battery bank.

Adding a panel or two will let you run loads during the day and still ensure that the battery is pretty much getting its required charging power (10% rate of solar charging or better--Usually you don't have to worry about random daytime loads).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.
    Options
    BB - one other thing. You say at below 12.3 volts the battery will be below 50% state of charge. An article on the NAWS website suggests that 12.18 volts is 50% state of charge. Not a big difference, I guess.

Also, I understand that batteries are expected to last for more charge cycles the less depleted they are at the time of charge. Dumb question, but is a charge cycle the same as a day/ night cycle?

Bill, Yea--made a mistake there should have said 12.2 volts or less--But measuring specific gravity is still the "gold standard" for determining flooded cell battery state of charge.

More or less, a good quality Deep Cycle battery will actually output the roughly the same amount of Watt*Hours from ~80% to almost 20% state of charge... I.e., if you pull 2x more AH from a battery bank, the battery bank will last 1/2 as many cycles.

In general, staying above 50% state of charge helps give you a long cycle life.

For weekend/seasonal usage (cabins/RV), many times you will "age out" the battery bank before you cycle out a battery bank.

Best life--Don't let battery plates get exposed to air. Avoid many discharges below 50% SOC, avoid and discharges below ~20% SOC. Get the battery bank >~90% (some say to 100%) SOC once or twice a week. Avoid having a flooded cell battery set below ~75% SOC for any length of time (i.e., get recharging the next day if the battery is not cycling). Don't let the battery get too hot (i.e., hot climate, recharging/equalization heat battery hotter).

And there is the "oops" when somebody leaves a load connected, or guest wants to use a hair dryer and takes the bank dead (lead acid batteries generally do not recover very well from such an event). Everybody has those stories.

-Bill
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While 12.0 - 12.1 volts represent a 50% State of Charge (SOC) remember that under load the voltage will be lower than this when reaching 50% SOC. If your using voltage to get an idea of SOC the batteries must be at rest for a good while (a couple hours). In using off grid systems it will take a while to get a feel for how your batteries are doing by just seeing the voltage. I, personally, don't think this is a bad thing.

It's also a 'touchy feely' type of thing, if you have a CF light on and it's showing 12.0 volts under load, you might well be at 50% SOC, if you have a couple lights, laptop and CD player on, and it's showing 12.0 volts you might be at 70+% SOC. This goes for charging as well, if your at 13.6 volts even with a light on while charging, you may be at 70% SOC (and charging in Bulk mode) or You could be at Float(13.6 is not an uncommon float voltage) after being fully charged(100% SOC) and using only energy from the panels...

Lots of good information in the Battery FAQ's.

The laptop running at 60watts is just what's on the adapter as a max draw, it will likely rarely use that much energy, and likely draw 30-40watts, at least once the battery is charged.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

The battery guys I bought a fork truck battery from, really wanted me to drag the soc to close to 20% while the battery was new and still forming the plates. I think even though my voltage disconnect is lower, it is loads that make the battery hit low voltage disconnect and after resting I am at 50% or above state of charge.

gww
  • kansas
    Options

Bill -

Just looked at the Trimetric monitor. Should have bought it instead of the MorningStar. Difference in price more than justified. Should have asked for help sooner, I guess. Ces't la vie. I'll probably get the Trimetric and put the MorningStar on Ebay.

The folks at US Battery told me they don't recommend any type of "break in" regime for their batteries which are expected to reach full capacity after 30 cycles of "normal use." Since my use may not be "normal," is there a break in regime you would recommend?

US Battery also sent me, at my request, a diagram showing the acid fill level for each cell. As I thought, they are very low for new batteries that the dealer assured me were fully charged and ready to go. I need to add about a .5 inches of water. Any advice of whether to do this at some particular point in any break in period, or just add it now.

Thanks,

Bill
  • BB.
    Options

Don't over fill the batteries... As they charge, the get warm and bubbles get trapped under the plates and such... If you fill a cold battery to the mark (typically touching the split ring under the cap)--You frequently will get electrolyte spilled over the top of the batteries and have a big mess.

if the plates are covered and the cells are 1/2 full--Just start charging them--Once near/at full charge, then add some water if needed (even then, don't get the cells "too full"--It does not help anything--As long as you check water levels every 2-4 weeks until you get a handle on the system).

So--New bank:

0. mark battery(ies) and cell #'s so you can keep track of data in log book.
    1. Check electrolyte levels (no exposed plates, no cracks/leaks/spills from shipping)
    2. check/log as received specific gravity of each cell. (should be >75% state of charge)
    3. log as received voltage of each battery (or each cell, if possible) for all batteries. (should be >75% state of charge)
    4. Assuming 0-3 are OK... Then start charging to ~100% SOC. Log specific gravity readings for each cell.
    5. If the SG differences are more than 0.015 to 0.030 or greater, then "equalize" battery bank (~15 volts or 2.5 to 5% rate of charge for 30 minutes at a time).
    6. Check SG every 30-60 minutes. When SG stop rising. Log final SG readings (temperature corrected). This is your bank's 100% state of charge. If battery bank gets too hot--Stop equalizing to let bank cool.
    7. Start running battery bank. Pick a pilot cell, and monitor SG readings (daily, weekly, as needed, etc.) until you understand how your system is performing.
    8. Do a electrolyte level check/all cell SG log once a month (first few months), check battery/cell voltages--Looking for "differences" that may indicate problems.

Regarding initial battery cycling--I will let others here with more experience address that. Other than "using" the batteries and avoiding over discharging, under watering, over charging, etc... Just start using them.

-Bill
  • kansas
    Options

Thanks again, Bill. I'm going to get a Hydrovolt and start the test log you suggest. I don't believe my charge controller will allow an on demand equalizing charge, but instead goes through a equalizing charge cycle every 25 days. But with a Trimetric meter I should be able to monitor when that happens and check the cells at the appropriate time.

To update on the Morningstar RM-1 meter, they admit that none of them work properly with the 300 SureSine Inverter, even though they are advertised to do so. I expect a refund, which is good news for me because I can see that the Trimetric meter will provide much more information. NAWS has the TM-2025 on it's site so that's the model I'll get. Had I done more product research and known the Morningstar meter wouldn't work, I might have gotten the Bogart CC to work with the Trimetric meter. Looks like a good combination. Perhaps the Morningstar CC will perform like their meter and I'll have the chance to change.

Thanks again to you and all the others who have responded to this thread. Bill
  • BB.
    Options

One hint--With any hydrometer, rinse them out afterwords with a couple of draws of distilled water--They can get gummy if put away "dirty".

Keep us as you use your system. We are always learning here.

-Bill