Well, Here it is

ZoNiE
ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭
I pulled the trigger on 3X KC130GT panels. They are 2006 Kyocera units, new in the box a guy on CL had in his storage for 8 yrs. They all tested out OK regarding Voc and Imp. Voc actually exceeded the tag, Imp just under. This was at 1PM-ish this afternoon on a hot sunny day.

They are what I can basically fit unless I go to 2.5X the cost on new Grape or similar 160W panels. 390 watts should do it. They are nice black anodized poly units (wanted mono, but these will do) and came with the MC3 cable extensions for a good price.

I already have 2GC2's for now, and may go with four when I replace them. They are 3 yrs old and going strong due to good maintenance.

I also picked up a nice little European residential Din Rail breaker box in France last week for $13 Euro ($18 )for my breakers, terminal block, and relays.

Next up is a Kid MPPT charger with the Whizbang. I was on the fence here, was teetering back and forth between this and Morningstar/Trimetric, but the Whizbang can actually control the Kid to maximize yield and charge, so That did it for me. The WBJ can command the Kid to exit absorb when done, which is good for battery life.

When the weather cools off here, I will build it all up.

I'll post more as I go along. Hoping this will be a good baseline system for the basic RV user.

Comments

• Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Re: Well, Here it is

Uhh, Sunking isn't here. man. :cool: He's at that other site. You know the place. The one where he flames you for questioning his opinion. :p
  • Chris
    Chris Solar Expert Posts: 135 ✭✭

the link for your pictures doesn't appear to work.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I have removed the links to that "other" forum and the reference to the person there who is persona non grata here: all they do over there is slag this forum and the real engineers on it while insulting people looking for help and handing out bad/incorrect advice.

We have numerous times explained how to test PV's here. It's no big secret.
  • ZoNiE

Sorry about that guys, I'm still having jetlag from my month overseas, and, well, mixed up the forums as I read several. I will post my photos elsewhere so as not to mix the two forums as there appears to be some friction...
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    ZoNiE wrote: »
    Sorry about that guys, I'm still having jetlag from my month overseas, and, well, mixed up the forums as I read several. I will post my photos elsewhere so as not to mix the two forums as there appears to be some friction...
    You have a great gift for understatement!
    I and some other regular contributors live in both camps and I set one up for oldest post first display and the other for newest post first, since the overall look and feel is too similar with the same underlying forum software. I suppose that I should change the color scheme too. I have, to the best of my knowledge, only cross posted once. :)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ZoNiE

Photos:
    Panel Back, Panel Front, Breaker Box, and Genny.
  • jimindenver
    jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭

Craigslist is wonderful. I could have covered the roof of my house, not my RV with new Bosch 245w mono panels at $85 each from a solar install company that went under. As it is I just bought the two for the Trailer. Even with cheap panels it would have been expensive and I have a eastern facing roof.
  • ZoNiE

Yeah, I could have bought much better panels than these if they would have fit, but these 130W Kyocera panels will do just fine and they were cheap. If I decide to get another one, the guy has more, and they are not going anywhere soon...