Generating enough power to charge 12V Battery

silentdub
silentdub Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I am in need of a backupto keep a 12V Marine battery charged that I use to power landscape lights. I have a solar panel that currently charge the battery but as a backup wanted to utilize some wind power.

I guess one of the easiest ways is to utilize an alternator from the automotive world however they are not real efficient from what I understand so I am looking for some alternatives.

My area has low average wind speed so I need to utilize a design for lower speeds. Any Ideas?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Generating enough power to charge 12V Battery

That is really tough requirement for wind... The energy from wind goes with the cube of wind speed (^3)... So, if you have 1/2 the wind speed, you have 1/8th the amount of power.

Automotive alternator conversions are not really very good--The alternators are designed to turn at very high speeds--And adding a gear box/belts adds to the losses.

Also, if you live in an area with trees/houses/buildings, there is turbulence close to the ground. A good tower is 60-90 feet tall (30 feet above local obstructions and 500+ feet away laterally). All of this makes flying a turbine pretty costly.

If you are not going to build your own turbine, something like this may work Ok for you (a few posters over the years like them):

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/videos/tlg500_main.htm

Personally, I would be adding solar panels...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • silentdub
    silentdub Registered Users Posts: 2
    Re: Generating enough power to charge 12V Battery
    BB. wrote: »
    That is really tough requirement for wind... The energy from wind goes with the cube of wind speed (^3)... So, if you have 1/2 the wind speed, you have 1/8th the amount of power.

Automotive alternator conversions are not really very good--The alternators are designed to turn at very high speeds--And adding a gear box/belts adds to the losses.

Also, if you live in an area with trees/houses/buildings, there is turbulence close to the ground. A good tower is 60-90 feet tall (30 feet above local obstructions and 500+ feet away laterally). All of this makes flying a turbine pretty costly.

If you are not going to build your own turbine, something like this may work Ok for you (a few posters over the years like them):

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/videos/tlg500_main.htm

Personally, I would be adding solar panels...

-Bill

Thanks for the info..... I have to agree, I'll stick with solar.