Help my system is stable ... Now I don't know what to do !

fca1
fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭
This solar and renewal energy stuff start to me as a hobby ... Last 3 years i have planed, discussed, drawing, dreaming with the summer upgrades ;)

But since last year that I filled up my roof with panels and connected the house to the xw6048 I don't have nothing more to do :(

I started the monitoring system that is running I do some checks , staring at panels , checking with my dc clamp that the CC is giving me the right measures That it's .... I'm missing the build and tune part ... :(

So I write these dum posts ;)
It's Just me that fill like this after the solution full implemented or any 1 else with these fillings ..,

Comments

• Novaz
    Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help my system is stable ... Now I don't know what to do !

I kinda know how this feels i went through the same with my Drag Race Nova
    2 years building it raced it a few timw with some good wins but missed the building part
    so sold the car and now planning for my off grid retirement with research on Solar System for home/RV living
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Don't worry--In a couple of years, your battery bank will start miss-behaving and give you lots chances to debug/tune the system.

Of course, you are monitoring your battery bank (checking/logging specific gravity, checking cell/battery voltages, using a current clamp meter to ensure parallel strings are properly sharing charging/discharging currents)? You want to catch any problems before things go south and damage a cell/battery.

Winter comes and you need to manage the genset operatons... Etc.

The goal is to have a robust off grid system design--And then it should just work. Sounds like you did that.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, time to move and start over again...lol

Worked for me once, I may need to move again...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭

Same thing here. Very exciting to design build and commission, but now quite boring. The only fun I have with it now is hearing people talk about power outages and never even knowing. Heck I even rented the house out for a year. Told the renter if the power ever goes off just go out and start the generator for an hour. Batteries were healthier when the renter left than when he moved in.
    Ned
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »

The goal is to have a robust off grid system design--And then it should just work. Sounds like you did that. -Bill

And that's where I am. Compared to how things used to be, the system can almost be out of sight, out of mind. Have to remind myself to check the liquid level once in a while. I'm loving it! Now if only this 2 month drought would end, I could restart the hydro - - -
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    fca1 wrote: »
    This solar and renewal energy stuff start to me as a hobby ... Last 3 years i have planed, discussed, drawing, dreaming with the summer upgrades ;)

But since last year that I filled up my roof with panels and connected the house to the xw6048 I don't have nothing more to do :(

I started the monitoring system that is running I do some checks , staring at panels , checking with my dc clamp that the CC is giving me the right measures That it's .... I'm missing the build and tune part ... :(

So I write these dum posts ;)
    It's Just me that fill like this after the solution full implemented or any 1 else with these fillings ..,

I PM-ed you with Address & tools required ..
    As with BB said , Enjoy while the next gremlin knocks :cry:

VT
  • fca1
    fca1 Solar Expert Posts: 124 ✭✭
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    I PM-ed you with Address & tools required ..
    As with BB said , Enjoy while the next gremlin knocks :cry:

VT

Didn't receive you PM ,
    I'm trying to get some distractions mainly to see my batteries performance and plan their replacement....
    will i keep PB batts or going to Lithium ?
    add more pv northfacing ???
    tkeep 2 CC or concentrate all in the midnite
    going to roof to check bolts and rust..
    thinking on puting a pigeon protection as i noticed i had a nest between the roof and a panel...
    replace my 20year old kitchen appliances (wash machines) for more efficient models ...

But none compares to thrill of connecting the CC for the first time or even your first day on solar .... or waiting for first high winds to see if the panels don't fly 8)
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

FCA1
    My reply was a funny / joke "I PM-ed you with Address & tools required .. "

I'm two years behind you . But have had 4 solar buildings going since 2008/9.
    each one was minor / safety shelter if storm hits in the high country .
    I just picked up 3 pallets of panels . Work is ahead.

VT
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the 10 step program....

Step 1 is to start another project... yours or someone else's , who will pay you to satisfy your problem...:cool: Or do it for free and they buy the parts:-)

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Chuck46
    Chuck46 Solar Expert Posts: 95

Enjoy it while you can :D
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Well you can hang out on solar forums and pounce on/assist new folks 8).

On occasion I get visits from local folks interested in solar and give them a quick tour. If they look like they are serious I help them when I can. Its good to give back.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

If you are bored and you are doing a lot of data logging, you could play around with making all sorts of different graphs with the data.
    Like heat-maps showing min and max values for each day over the course of a year (makes an really cool looking graph).
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • ZoNiE
    ZoNiE Solar Expert Posts: 100 ✭✭

Go Clean your Panels!!!