Help concerning grounding of PV system

Options
GeorgiePorgie
GeorgiePorgie Registered Users Posts: 3
I have a 24 volt PV system thats been up, running and moving forward for over 10 years now. 4 6volt L-16 REs that I swear by. But heres my problem. Ive been using an Engel MT60 Combi Fridge & Freezer for refrigeration for years and this year stepped things up with a Sundancer cdf50 freezer which hasnt disappointed.
When I hook up my Engel to 24 volt, I get a shock. Im suspecting grounding issues as the local electrician tells me grounding is not possible on my locale, the Adriatic island of Kortula. Which is a virtual rock.
Ive reached a "solution" in a bizarre manner by 1) converting the DC to 120 AC, and 2) then stepping up to European 220 volt. And, indeed, no shock, and a usable refrigerator. But, inside, Im crawling up the wall with the loss of efficiency of DC to AC. And have no idea what Im losing stepping up to 220 volts. I did notice in the Engel manual it specifies must by connected to a negative ground system.
Any suggestions/ideas? I am getting a max output of 3.6 amps, which i hope is less being I no longer use the freezer.
Thanks for your time and happy to be a part of the forum!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Help concerning grounding of PV system

Welcome. I will leave the grounding issue to others. That 3.6 amps is that as AC or DC and at which voltage.
    Please tell us more about the system components and how the house is wired, needed to fully understand your problem.

hth

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum,

I'm a bit confused about your problem... Did you just start getting the shock from the Engel after you added the Sundanzer?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • GeorgiePorgie
    Options

No, its been ongoing since installation.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

How close are you to the water?
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

GeorgiPorgie, my guess is that the shock is caused by the 24 volt DC conductors floating at Voc above or below ground.

Do you have no ground electrode? If you do not have a ground electrode (ground rod or plate), what is your equipment ground wire connected to? Do you have a bond between equipment ground and battery negative? Do you have a DC ground fault protection (GFP) device?

What charge controller are you using? Some charge controllers have their PV negative and Battery negative in common... does yours?

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • GeorgiePorgie
    Options

Thanks to all and apologies for late reply. vtmaps, you set me on the right trail. The equipment ground and battery negative is the clue
    When in Rome, do as the Romans. The Engel is set up with a negative ground. There is no ground here on this rock called Kortula.
    Accordingly, separate the negative from the ground should answer the problem. And so it did. I blocked the ground socket from the ground of the Engel and, by converting back to 24vdc, save power and good nights sleep. The locals here insist its the solution.
    Thanks everyone for your patience and advice!