not solar but

Options
Novaz
Novaz Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
As part of my research about going off grid with solar and other less expensive utilities
I have become really interested in these pumps as like solar they require no real external power other than the flow of water
one of the criteria in my land search is that the property has a creek/stream of some kind
the output of these pumps can seem to be very small over long distances and elevations but it will or can be run 24/7/365 so the amount of water pumped could be more than ample especially when used with a storage system .
Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvqA6zb1k_U

Comments

• zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: not solar but

Ram pumps are great when they go, but depending on the build quality and the installation, can take a lot of maintenance. The repititive hammering work hardens the materials until they fail. If you go this route do your homework and find one thats bulletproof, has screeds of glowing testimonials.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• Alaska Man
    Alaska Man Solar Expert Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Options

Ram pumps remind me of Wood Gasifiers, you can run your truck without gasoline using a wood gasifier, both technologies are old, both work. However there is a reason we have moved on.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The video is a bit miss leading, the waste involved in pumping from a rain barrel make delivery silly. but from a consistent flow, they should work fine. I haven't seen one up and running in 20+ years in NC. But it worked fine and reportably had been for many years.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.