Sun and wind together

Options
buckshot2
buckshot2 Registered Users Posts: 1
I have an Outback controller hooked up to my solar array. I would like to hook up a wind generator that I bought , it came with a controller(World Power) . What do I need to do to connect them together. I read on the internet that I need a dc control center?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Sun and wind together

Welcome to the forum.

This is one of those "it depends" questions. In this case it depends on how the controller that came with the turbine is meant to be connected. Normally a small turbine is connected directly to the battery, and then a diversion controller 'bleeds off' power to a dump load as needed to maintain battery Voltage during the various charge stages.

But some turbines have the controller before the battery and activate the dump load there or use internal wiring changes of the turbine to control it. This may include electrical or mechanical braking and/or furling of the turbine.

As a rule there is no problem with charging batteries from multiple regulated sources providing the Voltages and charging set points agree.
  • zoneblue
    zoneblue Solar Expert Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry to have to be the one to say this, but with wind, if you have to ask, the odds are stacked against your wind install. Sucessful wind installations require better than average quality gear (read expensive), and a dedicated wind enthisast behind it.

Sadly the inherant tendency of wind turbines is to want to self destruct. Theres only you and your knowledge that stands between the turbine and scrap metal.
    1.8kWp CSUN, 10kWh AGM, Midnite Classic 150, Outback VFX3024E,
    http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

• kenputer
    kenputer Solar Expert Posts: 27
    Options
    zoneblue wrote: »
    Sorry to have to be the one to say this, but with wind, if you have to ask, the odds are stacked against your wind install. Sucessful wind installations require better than average quality gear (read expensive), and a dedicated wind enthisast behind it.

Sadly the inherant tendency of wind turbines is to want to self destruct. Theres only you and your knowledge that stands between the turbine and scrap metal.

This is why I don't bother with this forum much , my so called piece of scrap metal is working just fine. My solar is working just fine and they work fine together.
    Don't mention wind power here because the ones that did not know what they were doing will try to discourage you when you speak.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    kenputer wrote: »
    This is why I don't bother with this forum much , my so called piece of scrap metal is working just fine. My solar is working just fine and they work fine together.
    Don't mention wind power here because the ones that did not know what they were doing will try to discourage you when you speak.

Yeah, reality just bites sometimes doesn't it?

By your reasoning anyone who has had an unsuccessful small wind turbine installation (the majority) is wrong because you are satisfied with your one installation.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Kenputer,

Do you have AH (at what voltage) or WH/kWH harvested per month (or similar)?

I know there are some folks very happy with their installation--But actual numbers are sometimes hard to find (to help sizing a system).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, reality just bites sometimes doesn't it?

By your reasoning anyone who has had an unsuccessful small wind turbine installation (the majority) is wrong because you are satisfied with your one installation.

He did not ask for an opinion on small wind . Your answer "Yeah, reality just bites" might not help sales for the sponsor . Just my opinion .

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat