Honda Inverter Generator Maintenance

Options
vtmaps
vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
I notice that the scheduled maintenance of all the honda inverter generators calls for periodically cleaning the combustion chamber.
(if the pictures show up as thumbnails, just click on them to enlarge)

This is from the eu2000 user manual:

Attachment not found.

This is from the eu2000 repair manual:

Attachment not found.

All I can say on a family oriented forum such as this is "what the".

Have any of you honda owners ever noticed this, or had the service performed?

--vtMaps
4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Honda Inverter Generator Maintenance

Let's see ...

Refill gasoline as needed.
    Change oil every 50 hours.
    6000 hours later both the EU1000i and the EU2000i are still working.

I must be lucky or something. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket (although that's never worked in the past).
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

#4 Use Sea Foam (liquid) gas treatment or similar fuel stabilizer in every gallon of fuel used

#5 use Sea Foam spray in Carb at spring start-up to clean bore of Carb... 12 year old 1000i, unknown hours ~1000+

Also I use OPTI4 motor oil, all synthetic... changed every spring.

Same treatment on 3000i bought used 3 years ago, both start easily each spring...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • ToManyTrees
    ToManyTrees Registered Users Posts: 24
    Options

About the 7000 hrs est. bought new in 2004. I run Moble1 synthetic, changed every other month. Original spark plug. If I remember correctly, replaced starter rope 6 time now.

TMT
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...If I remember correctly, replaced starter rope 6 time now. TMT

Speaking of starter ropes, does anyone remember or have a source, of a "cone" adapter for small engines, where you could use a drill motor to spin it up ? I've looked, and can't find any nowdays.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• ToManyTrees
    Options

Mike, what size engine do you want start?
  • stmar
    stmar Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Options

Looks way too delicate an operation to me, I would probably cause more harm than good, lol. I use high octane gas, 90+, in all my vehicles and equipment, plus I use Marine Stabil in any fuel I use in small engines. Supposedly the higher octane, mostly use Sinclair, have less or no ethanol. The Marine Stabil is for ethanol issues in marine engines so I figured it would be good cheap insurance for any small engine. A neighbor just took his ATV in for repair because it sat over the winter with cheap gas in it and what he spent would buy a lot of good gas and Stabil!!
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options

The one picture shows the block removed and disassembled, not something you'd likely want to do every 200 hrs. I run some Techron thru mine every few weeks. I can tell it does some good as the oil consumption goes way up and the magnetic dip stick is covered with crud and the Oil is very dirty. There are a lot of decarbonizers on the market you can run through them.
  • ToManyTrees
    Options
    I run some Techron thru mine every few weeks. I can tell it does some good as the oil consumption goes way up and the magnetic dip stick is covered with crud and the Oil is very dirty. There are a lot of decarbonizers on the market you can run through them.

When using Techron at prescribed dosage, that is 10X of Chevron fuel rate. leaks passed your oil control rings & breaks down the lubricity of the oil.

A little Fuel info.

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

TMT / Paul
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mike, what size engine do you want start?
    something like a 4 or 5 HP Honda & Subaru gas engines on a high wheel trimmer and old generator. I used to see them in the old Popular Science ads in the back of the magazine (1960's)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,