GVFX sell settings recommendations

verdigo
verdigo Solar Expert Posts: 428 ✭✭
Still waiting on my inspector and the utility guy to come give me their blessings, so I decided to run a 15 amp cord to my inverter's AC IN. So far I have just set the charger settings a couple of volts below the classic to make it sell. Then I just turned off the inverter's charger, and it is supplementing the house.

I am hoping to get some recommendations for settings and whether or not to use the HBX mode and there is a setting for "aac" that is a little vague to me. Any discussion would be appreiciated. The battery bank is full and it seems to be digging into them a little at the time but the sun is not optimum either. Its early.

And no I do not plan to walk away from the system today operating on an extension cord. Just trying to get a feel for things right now.

Question: What limits how much current the inverter can sell? I have seen up to 1.2 KW, and then it drops to .8 KW. The classic has reached float voltage, and the amps are dropping off. I increased the float voltage and no change on the inverter output. The inverter as measured with a multi-meter says 129.5 volts AC. So my guess is that the higher the grid voltage is then this is limiting inverter output?

Dennis

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: GVFX sell settings recommendations
    verdigo wrote: »
    Still waiting on my inspector and the utility guy to come give me their blessings, so I decided to run a 15 amp cord to my inverter's AC IN. So far I have just set the charger settings a couple of volts below the classic to make it sell. Then I just turned off the inverter's charger, and it is supplementing the house.

I am hoping to get some recommendations for settings and whether or not to use the HBX mode and there is a setting for "aac" that is a little vague to me. Any discussion would be appreiciated. The battery bank is full and it seems to be digging into them a little at the time but the sun is not optimum either. Its early.

And no I do not plan to walk away from the system today operating on an extension cord. Just trying to get a feel for things right now.

Question: What limits how much current the inverter can sell? I have seen up to 1.2 KW, and then it drops to .8 KW. The classic has reached float voltage, and the amps are dropping off. I increased the float voltage and no change on the inverter output. The inverter as measured with a multi-meter says 129.5 volts AC. So my guess is that the higher the grid voltage is then this is limiting inverter output?

Dennis
    I don't sell with mine, so I looked at it the default setting is " use " aac in the HBX settings. A guess would be it's got be the ACin breaker size would limit the sell amount.

The only place you can limit amps AC is the ACin and The charger amps.
  • verdigo

Oh well. I'll get it figured out. I am having fun though.
  • verdigo

No more fun today. The smoke has come out of the inverter.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    No more fun today. The smoke has come out of the inverter.

Please tell me you're kidding.
    It is extremely difficult to burn up an Outback. You have to do things quite horribly wrong.
  • verdigo
    You have to do things quite horribly wrong.

Not kidding. I'm just sick to my stomach. My design worked but was too complicated. If the breakers were all in their correct positions, and operated in the right order their wouldn't have been any problem. (famous last words). In another thread I ask what would happen if the AC out backfed the inverter's own AC In. Well I think what happens is the transfer switch goes nuts. Makes a real scary clattering noise. Then the idiot standing there (yours truly), panics, and starts grabbing for breakers and grid meets inverter output and inverter loses.

Long story short. If it can go wrong it will. I just hope it can be repaired.

Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!
  • Blackcherry04

Sounds like the AC board ( Some call it the FET board ) with the transfer relays chattering, unfortunately it's the most expensive.
  • verdigo

Is this something I can field replace? Any idea how much the board costs, or should I be thinking about replacing the inverter?
  • Cariboocoot
    Is this something I can field replace? Any idea how much the board costs, or should I be thinking about replacing the inverter?

Contact Outback; they're best able to tell you what it would cost and how easy/difficult it is to change (depending on your skill level). It is not going to be cheap as the AC board has the expensive power FETs on it. Best-case: the relay fried and can be replaced on its own.
  • Blackcherry04
    Don't know the cost, not hard to replace.

Board replacement

http://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/m_series/m_series_fx_circuitboard_replacement.pdf
  • verdigo

Do you know if the Inverter place in Whitehouse keeps any inventory on hand?
  • Blackcherry04
    Do you know if the Inverter place in Whitehouse keeps any inventory on hand?
    I don't know, lot's of motor coaches have Outbacks, but call and ask for " PJ ", they get one in a day or two. That board for a GVFX is probably different from a FX board. The FX's they service would be for the " M " models I'd think.
  • drraptor
    drraptor Solar Expert Posts: 218 ✭✭

There is youtube video too about Board replacement by Outback.
  • verdigo
    drraptor wrote: »
    There is youtube video too about Board replacement by Outback.

Thanks. I checked that out. Looks like a piece of cake.
  • verdigo

The FET board is $240.00. The other two are $120.00 each. Not nearly as bad as I had imagined.
  • Blackcherry04

Not exactly cheap, but cheaper than I would have thought. Good Luck on it. It's a lot cheaper than any of the Xanterx boards I have bought.
  • verdigo

I was thinking a lot worse. They even said that my warranty was still good whether I sent them the inverter or they sent me the board(s). Great company. This will play majorly on any future purchases I make, or any recommendations for equipment to others, and I am starting to get a lot of interest in my neck of the woods with door knockers and what not wanting to take a look, and you know Cave City hasn't exactly been the solar mecca of Kentucky up to this point.
  • verdigo

Where the smoke leaked out

fet2.jpg
  • verdigo

I got my new FET board yesterday, or so I thought. The board is clearly used and even dirty. Outback does want the core back, and I have no problem there, but I thought I was buying a new part. My inverter isn't even six months old yet. I didn't even notice it until I got it mounted. I know I am to blame for frying the board but I paid for a new one or so I thought, and its not like this is a warranty issue. I bought the board.

Hate to be a whiner, but I am never gonna feel right about the longevity of the inverter now. Feel like I should at least got a kiss.
  • Cariboocoot
    I got my new FET board yesterday, or so I thought. The board is clearly used and even dirty. Outback does want the core back, and I have no problem there, but I thought I was buying a new part. My inverter isn't even six months old yet. I didn't even notice it until I got it mounted. I know I am to blame for frying the board but I paid for a new one or so I thought, and its not like this is a warranty issue. I bought the board.

Hate to be a whiner, but I am never gonna feel right about the longevity of the inverter now. Feel like I should at least got a kiss.

I'll suggest you complain to them. Right away. Before you install the board. As in you take the 'new' board out of the box, look at it and say "this isn't a new board" and tell them all about it. If you accept it and install it that means you're satisfied with what they sent.

I don't know how you can tell it is used (clipped wires hanging off it?) but it may be one that's sat around a while in storage. I still wouldn't settle for it if there are any doubts.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Sometimes people have been known to slip old/used/broken hardware into boxes--Outback may not even know that they shipped you a "used" board.

Is there any serial number (or part number/revision) tracking information in the documentation/on the outside of the box (that agrees or disagrees with what is marked on the board)?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • verdigo

I'll have to check. I left the shipping/invoicing documents in my office which is too far to drive until Monday. The electrostatic bag had a new seal on it though.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    They even said that my warranty was still good whether I sent them the inverter or they sent me the board(s). Great company.
    I got my new FET board yesterday, or so I thought. The board is clearly used and even dirty. Outback does want the core back, and I have no problem there, but I thought I was buying a new part.

Wait a minute... which is it? Are they replacing the board under warranty? or are you buying a new board?

It it's under warranty, you can expect a refurbished board, and you should be very grateful that you did not have to pay for your the damage you caused. If you are, in fact, paying for a new board, then you should complain about getting a used board.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • verdigo

I bought the board. I wouldn't dream of trying to warranty out on something I did. Even if its refurbished it doesn't appear to have even been cleaned. So far the AC out on batteries is working though. Gonna try the grid interactive functions next.
  • Blackcherry04
    I bought the board. I wouldn't dream of trying to warranty out on something I did. Even if its refurbished it doesn't appear to have even been cleaned. So far the AC out on batteries is working though. Gonna try the grid interactive functions next.
    Thats very admirable of you and your previous posts indicate that you felt that way. Honesty is a two way street, while I didn't hear the conversation they had the duty to explain that the boards they sell as replacements are refurbished, if in fact they are. The $240 price did seem cheap, but that is not a reason to hide the fact. If you were given the option of paying say $400 for a new board, you could of made the decision.

I'd say, call them and talk about it. As a manufacturer myself, I'd much rather have a customer be up front than hear a snow job. If your fat Girlfriend sat on it and broke it, say so, and I'll send you a new one Free and pay the postage, most Manufacturers like customer feed back, good or bad.
  • verdigo

Thats my intention. I'm gonna box up the core Monday and give them a call. The replacement board works. I went ahead and installed it to make sure the other two boards were okay, and the inverter works in off grid and it's interactive mode. The part they sent me didn't look like it had any work done to it. It has a thin layer of dust on it I guess that is normal for a vented inverter. I just don't like the idea that it may have lived half of it's useful life already. Bottom line is I want a new one. I'll pay the difference if there is one.
  • verdigo

Just an FYI for anyone interested. According to the tech support guy I just spoke to at Outback, new boards must be purchased through an authorized Outback Dealer. All boards directly from Outback are refurbished. The same fellow I spoke to at Outback told me a new FET board is $600.00 (Probably MSRP). I just spoke to Dan at NAWS, and he priced me one for $435.00.

I just have to decide if I want to keep the refurbished board or not because stupidity unlike lightning does strike more than once in the same place:cry:
  • verdigo

Getting back to sell settings I have found (after I took my batteries into a bad place for a while), that if I set the inverter to do an absorb for 30 min each morning to bring up the night's tare losses that it is best to set the Classic a couple of volts above float and the GVFX at float. Then the inverter sells all day everything above the set float voltage.
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭

Blackcherry
    are you saying outback sells refurbised board for $240? I just payed $480 and I would have went with refurbished. This was less then a month ago. I did get all three boards and had to send them mine back or it would have been $800 something.
    Thanks
    gww
  • verdigo

I paid $240 for a refurbished fet board from outback. Outback said it would not affect warranty.
  • Blackcherry04
    gww1 wrote: »
    Blackcherry
    are you saying outback sells refurbised board for $240? I just payed $480 and I would have went with refurbished. This was less then a month ago. I did get all three boards and had to send them mine back or it would have been $800 something.
    Thanks
    gww
    I didn't say it, the post was about if they have a obligation to tell you that the boards they sell are refurbished boards. I have never had to buy a replacement yet, I'd go with refurbished for the price, but I'd like to be informed up front.