off grid cabin/ home

Options

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: off grid cabin/ home

System size depends on the loads. I have 300+ young fruit trees I irrigate, and pump about 2,000 gallons a day for water for them. So I needed a large system.
    And my wife likes toast in the morning and blow-dryer for her hair before she goes to work. So I told her what it would cost and she said "Make it so".

For loads, 12v systems are good to about 1,000 watts, 24V to 2,000 watts.
    The industry cant spell 36v, so the next standard size is 48V if you need more than 2,000w.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• wellbuilt
    wellbuilt Solar Expert Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BB, I know about the teenager thing , I have 2 6, 5 " boys 17 and 19 They are giving me a run for my money , Ill tell ya
    If I use the( 4) L16 @ 24 volt bank, For now That would have my battery bank down to 60% every day im at the house ( 3 day a week for now)
    If I end up needing more power I could just get 4 more L 16 later and run a second string , or replace them with 8 l16 when the first 4 die . It mite be better to just go to bed when it gets dark .
    John
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Hi all ,
    My project is moving along at a snails pace .
    Last week my dep approvals for the septic came in the mail, and now I need the building permit .
    My well drilling was pushed off because of bad weather in June and my well guy was working far away sooooooooooo I am still bone dry .
    Last week I did spend a few days on top of the hill , we pulled a old airstream trailer up the easement that a friend gave me and spent 2 days cleaning and vacuuming getting it level .
    Now I need some power .
    The trailer was wired to ac power in a camp ground for 20 years .
    As far as I can tell I have a 2 breakers
    The first breaker is wired to A/C power and feeds all the ac outlets in the trailer .
    The second breaker is wired to a old airstream power converter and stashed under the sink in the bath room .
    The converter / charger 30amp dosent seem to charge or have out put The fuses look good .
    There dosent seem to be any neg wiring only + power out with fuses 5 or 6 and a small battery box.
    The trailer seems to be made of steel and I think the 12volt is grounded to the frame .
    Any way , I think I would like to have some power for the trailer and it would be nice to be able to use the equipment on the house later .
    Im thinking the 12v lines will just get hooked to the + on a bus bar on the batterys (2 or 4 GC from sams club or 2 interstate l16 380 amphr) or what ever you guys think .
    The trailer has a heater that pulls pull 3.5 amps 12volt .
    Water pump sure flow amps ?
    wellbuilt frig at 1.5 amp AC power
    I have a small 12v tv dvd for now .
    Car radio 12 v in trailer .
    The lites are 12volt and will be changed to Led or florescent About half work now but I think its a ground problem or the converter isn't working 100% .
    I was thinking a kid charge controller with 250watt panels, enough to charge the battery10to 13%
    and a Iota charger 30/40/ 55 amps What ever it takes.
    Im thinking we will use the camper 2/ 3 days a week .
    When the battery get low I will recharge with a generator eather the champion or a Honda 2000/3000
    but I would like to move the panels and charger to the house when done and run at 48 volts .
    please help its dark on the hill .
    What size battery panal, charger, generator will work together for my needs .
    thanks in advance .

I was using a small champion 1800/ 1400watt generator for power .
    Out back  flex power one  with out back 3648 inverter fm80 charge controler  flex net  mate 16 gc215 battery’s 4425 Watts solar .
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

IIIRC all the older Airstreams are built from Airplane grade Aluminum, frame and all, but could be wrong on the frame. You are probably right about the ground being the problem. I would start with one light and work your way around the trailer.
    are all the lights 12v? Ask you friend when they were last used, this might give you a hint about that converter and its health.

Decide which batts you are going to use based on your loads. 2GCs should do if its just lights and the fridge. Is the Fridge a 3 way, you could use propane if it still works. makes for even less DC needed and thus smaller array possibly.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Under a sink is not the best place to put electrical items. No wonder the converter doesn't work.

I think I'd consider all the wiring in an old trailer as "suspect" and avoid using it if at all possible.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think I'd consider all the wiring in an old trailer as "suspect" and avoid using it if at all possible.

Me too. Some insurance companies around here won't insure a house with wiring over 30 years old. I imagine that RV and marine wiring (and connections) age faster than home wiring.
    and a Iota charger 30/40/ 55 amps
    <snip>
    When the battery get low I will recharge with a generator either the champion or a Honda 2000/3000

Iota chargers work great from the grid or from BIG generators. The Iota has poor power factor and very large inrush surge that have caused grief for some folks with smaller generators.

Be sure to take that into consideration when you plan the system. When you figure out what battery to use, you will then know what size Iota you need, then you can figure out a generator size that will run the Iota and possibly other things at the same time.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Well , most every thing is 12 volt the frig is a small ac wellbuilt frig (no propane ).
    The ac power works with the generator running.
    I can add grounds to the lights and they mite work .
    Could I start with 2 GC 215 amp hr batteries at 12v with a kid charger and 2 250 watt panels and a 55amp iota charger and see how it works . , I think the heater , and some TV at night mite add to much power draw and push me into a second set of batteries for a total of 430 AH @ 12 volt. TV and heat would most likely be used when its cold and raining .
    Could you give me a balanced volt 12 system that will work together for a example . thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

A very minimal system is based on two GC2's just as you say. 220 Amp hours @ 12 Volts - up to 1kW hour AC available. You'd be amazed how fast you can use that up. Needs about 350 Watts of array. Double the battery capacity and you double the array and the Kid will not longer supply the current because your over its 30 Amp limit. If you restrict charge current to that you'd be charging 440 Amp hours at a mere 6.8% which is pretty low. A little bit of load on and you have not enough charging.

So what you need to think of is: what happens if you run out of battery power?
    If you've got enough to get through the night and can use panels or generator during the day, you're okay. About 468 Watts would max out the Kid on 12 Volts. There are also 6 Volt batteries with slightly higher Amp hour capacity. These Crown's for example: http://www.solar-electric.com/batteries-meters-accessories/batteries/crdecyinba1/stdecyba/cr305am6vode.html 305 Amp hours, maybe another 500 Watt hours. That could tip the scale.

It's really hard to design from unknown load requirements.
  • westbranch
    Options

What about getting a Honda 1000inverter gen set to run the TV. Not too sure about the fridge, you most likely need a 2000W to run that as needed and put a bit of charge into the batteries. Use the Kill-o-watt meter to check it , when it arrives.

CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Coot , im thinking that I would need more power in the cool weather so I think the easiest thing to do is add 2 more gc215s and double up on the kid CC and add 1 or 2 more 250watt panels.
    What size iota charger would be needed to charge the batteries 4 gc215 in bad weather .
    Could my champion generator run the charger at 1400watts ?
    A $ 200 generator could be left on site, week to week with out to much risk a 2000/3000watt Honda will have to travel home every week end .
    Will I need a 2000/ 3000wat Honda ?
    The 2 kid CC , and the 4 250 watt panels would be added to a 48 volt system for the house when it is built .
    Im thinking the frig could run on the generator 3hs a day and stay cold . thanks for the help .
  • westbranch
    Options

Will I need a 2000/ 3000wat Honda ?

that depends on what that fridge draws. 2000w at 120v =~ 16+ amps and that gen puts out 16A continuous, http://powerequipment.honda.ca/generators/inverter-series/eu2000i/specs

but it's the surge that is limiting here. Do you have a dealer that rents them?

• vtmaps
    Options
    wellbuilt wrote: »
    What size iota charger would be needed to charge the batteries 4 gc215 in bad weather .
    Could my champion generator run the charger at 1400watts ?

You would want the Iota DLS-45. I guess that your champion can handle it, but it does have a brief AC inrush of 30 amps... that's over 3000 watts (briefly). If your champion is able to start it, the Iota will use most of the generator's capacity... you won't be able to power much else while charging.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

The inrush current is a concern. Chances are the Champion will not handle it. 3600 Watts momentarily on a generator that probably has a 2800 Watt surge rating.

The Honda EU2000i will be of no help either. It's output is only 1600 Watts and surge is 2000.

Sizing down the charger also doesn't help because the smaller unit has the same inrush current. They really need to improve this! Running Watts for the 45 Amp Iota are around 850, which as vtMaps said will use up most of the Champion's capacity.

You may want to get a bigger standard generator. Right now Canadian Tire has the Champion 3000 Watt on sale for $299.99 - pretty good bargain solution.
  • wellbuilt
    Options

My trailer has a triad ultrad TV 331W converter It is a 30amp charger 14.1 volt max , the charge rate gos down as you draw power from the battery to 12.8 .
    seems like very low power.
    I don't know if the charger works yet, no battery to test .
    Any way, could I just add a 30amp car charger to the battery ?
    and run it for say 2/3hrs a night to bulk charge the batteries and cool the frig from ac power? .
    The charger was tested on a 100 Ah battery with 60% charge , Its draw was 330 watts .
    The frig hit 550 wats but only ran 15% of the time at 70o +-
    1400watts - 880watts with 500+ watts left for load .
    Could I just remove the ac power from the converter and run thru the battery at 12volt30amp with car charger.
    I would like to charge with solar panels so the battery charger is back up power.
    could I run a iota dsl 45 with the larger champion 3000/4000watt generator .
    the larger generator burns more fuel. 4 gals at 1/2 load for 9hs .
    how long would it take to charge 4 215 ah batterys from 50% charge.
    thanks all
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Well tested a battery on the trailer today .
    G27 deep cycle marine battery sealed type .
    I ran some lights 15 wattsx2 10hrs 5hrs DC TV dvd and the heat was running every so often 1hr total 5hr with a old car radio .
    The battery started at 12.5 volts and ended at 12.3 so its about 90% down to 50% or so maybe 40amphrs ?
    I ran the champion 1800/1400 watt genny 3.5 hrs on 64OZ of fuel , the battery voltage went up to 13volts ? seems low .
    after 6 hrs the voltage was back to 12.52 volts seems low.
    The genny ran at 190 watts to about 240 watts
    The frig ran at 525 watts A total of 765 watts .
    It seems like the charging voltage should have been at 14+volts at first and then tapered down to 12.8 maybe .

Any way , Could I just go with the 4 gc215 and 3/4 250watt panels and 2 Kids .
    If I run out of power I can run the converter .
    Could I leave the battery low for a day or 2 and let the sun charge them when ever ?
    I have a 30 amp car charger that I could use in a pinch , it draws around 720 watts .
    The trailer has to last 2/3 years until the house is done .
    We will be there only 2/3 days at a time on the weekend .
    I don't have any reason to have a inverter in the trailer now I mite add a small chest frig on the system next year .
    Thanks in advance for the HELP.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Voltage wise, it sounds more like a 20% discharge (~0.2 volt drop). But estimating battery capacity purely by voltage is difficult (i.e., was that resting or loaded voltage on the battery, or started at resting and the -0.2 was when you were drawing a load, etc.).

By the way--What "heat was running"?

Yes, both your charging voltage and current seem low when using the generator.

So--Back to basics. What is the present battery (voltage/AH/more than one/series-parallel or what)?

And what is the AC charger you are using (or inverter/charger)?

Some voltages:

~12.7 volts at 75F / 25C resting voltage ~100% state of charge
    ~13.6 to 13.8 volts for "float charging" (if you don't have grid voltage, you are not going to "float" with an AC charger on a genset--waste of fuel)
    ~14.5 to 14.8 volts for fairly aggressive charging of a flooded cell lead acid battery
    ~12.0 volts with light loading--Battery is getting pretty near 50% state of charge
    ~11.5 volts with very heavy loading--Battery is pretty much near 50% state of charge
    ~12.2 volts or so with 3+ hour of no charging/discharging is ~50% state of charge

Do you have a Hydrometer (if flooded cell batteries) and an AC/DC Current Clamp DMM of some sort?

If you are planning on a "well instrumented" DC off grid power system--You should probably look at some sort of Battery Monitor like the Trimetric or Victron or some other brand/model. It will help you answer a lot of questions about how much power you use and how well everything is charging.

Battery Monitors are not perfect--But they sure can help answer the basic questions and are easier to understand if you have guests/spouse/kids taking care of the cabin while you are not there.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Hi bill, Thanks for the reply
    The battery was a Interstate G 27 pro sealed lead acid wet cell.
    The battery is new and kept on a trickle charger and used a few times a week in a dump trailer .
    The battery was resting 12.5( Off charger for 6+ hrs ) After I ran my loads over night they where turned off for 6 hours+.
    When we tested the battery at rest it was 12.3( No load)
    The converter is a Triad Ultiad TV 331w ) 30 amp max 14.1 max voltage Its from 1974 .
    The trailer has a 12v hot air heat propane fired unit about 8 years old .
    I was testing 1 Interstate pro G27 12v flood battery The amp hrs are not stated .
    The battery compartment is very small The g27 sticks out with the door open .
    Could I keep the new batterys out side in a battery box ?

I have 5 hot leads should I junk the old converter and run a new panel to the battery with solar panels for charging did not want to start a new project .
    Could I just add a 30 amp car charger and run it with the week converter .
    Im trying to stay with the smaller 1800watt generator because I can carry it, or just leave it in the generator house , If it gets robed I can buy a new one .
    Could I try a 45 amp iota charger on my small 1800watt generator and see if it will start ?
    I could all ways get a larger generator , I will have one up buy the house any way .
    Im buying 2 GC 215 to day for next week end and will charge them with my generator or bring them home until I get set up .
    I don't want to sit in the dark . Thanks guys .
  • BB.
    Options

Even these "sealed" batteries can usually have the caps popped off and be checked with a hydrometer for specific gravity.

Generally, these types of batteries are not true deep cycle batteries but really "Marine" type--Sort of between a starting battery and a deep cycle.
    The battery is new and kept on a trickle charger and used a few times a week in a dump trailer .

1 amp trickle charger? Generally, these are not very good at recharging a cycled battery and not even very good at floating one either (I have had more trickle chargers boil a battery dry than be killed by a "regular" car charger).
    The battery was resting 12.5( Off charger for 6+ hrs ) After I ran my loads over night they where turned off for 6 hours+.
    When we tested the battery at rest it was 12.3( No load)

Sounds like the battery is not fully charged (~12.7 to 12.8 volts) or is becoming sulfated (not uncommon failure)--Possible from poor charging practices. Roughly, a 0.2 volt drop is around a 20% of battery capacity used... You may have started at ~75% State of charge and gone down to 55% SOC (these numbers--not much better than pure guessing--Measuring battery voltage as State of Charge is not very accurate--However, it does sound like the battery was undercharging).
    The converter is a Triad Ultiad TV 331w ) 30 amp max 14.1 max voltage Its from 1974 .

That is an OK voltage for a converter that has lots of time on the AC mains... If you are going to be spending a lot of time dry camping, you probably want to charge the battery bank more towards 14.5 to 14.8 volts (for a fast charge, and a limited amount of time--Depending on current and how discharged the battery bank is).
    The trailer has a 12v hot air heat propane fired unit about 8 years old .

Many of these heaters draw significant amounts of power (around 8 amps or close to 100 Watts). On cold nights, sometimes can run upwards 50% of the night.
    I was testing 1 Interstate pro G27 12v flood battery The amp hrs are not stated .

A good sign that the battery is not really a deep cycle... Probably around 90 AH or so.
    The battery compartment is very small The g27 sticks out with the door open .
    Could I keep the new batteries out side in a battery box ?

RV--You are stuck with what the mfg. has left for room. Many people will mount batteries externally because of lack of space in the RV box.

Weight/Balance is important when mounting more/new battery location. Also, you want to keep battery cables relatively short (to AC inverter, to various battery chargers).

And temperature--Ideally, the batteries should be around 75F/25C... For every 10C/18F increase, battery life is cut by 1/2. And batteries below 50F will have less apparent AH capacity (when cold).

Charged batteries are very hard to freeze (below -70F or so). However batteries near dead will freeze closer to 32F. AGM batteries are relatively damage resistant if "frozen" (AGM batteries should not crack the case--But they will will not charge/discharge if frozen).
    I have 5 hot leads should I junk the old converter and run a new panel to the battery with solar panels for charging did not want to start a new project .
    Could I just add a 30 amp car charger and run it with the weak converter .

Go back to your loads--How many AH/WH per day? Solar or no solar? How much storage (over night, two days, maximum 50% discharge?).
    Im trying to stay with the smaller 1800watt generator because I can carry it, or just leave it in the generator house , If it gets robed I can buy a new one .

Not happy when anyone gets their stuff stolen. It sort of comes down to cost/benefit analysis. If you have a "cheap" generator stolen every three years? Do you get a nice (expensive) Honda eu1000i or 2000i ($800-$1,000 or so) which is smaller/easier to take home (and quieter).
    Could I try a 45 amp iota charger on my small 1800watt generator and see if it will start ?

It should work OK on a reliable genset.
    I could all ways get a larger generator , I will have one up buy the house any way .

You probably will end up with two (or more) generators. One small one for minimal loads (and charging a relatively small battery bank). A larger one (perhaps "cheaper/noisier" to run shop tools, well pump, etc.
    Im buying 2 GC 215 to day for next week end and will charge them with my generator or bring them home until I get set up .
    I don't want to sit in the dark . Thanks guys .

You can use between a 25 and 45 amp battery charger on your 2x 6 volt @ 215 AH batteries.

A 10% rate of charge means a smaller generator running for 5-7 hours to most recharge the battery bank. A 20% rate of charge means a couple hours less.

Are you going to have any solar at all? In general, run the generator to recharge from 50% to ~85% or so State of charge (high current until around 80-90% state of charge, and use solar to finish the charging (5%-10%-13% rate of charge).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Thanks for the reply bill ,
    Sams club was out of 215AH GC battery today They should have more on thurs day .
    Any way , I have no place to mount the solar panels yet .
    The mill is cutting some lumber for the 10x 16 covered deck
    and we mite have it for the weekend .
    I was planning to mount 2 or 3 250 watt panels on the roof with 1 or 2 kid CC .
    Being that i will use this place 2/3 days out of the week could i get away with 2 250 watt panels and 1 kidCC charging 4 215 amp GCB?
    Thanks bill
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi bill, Thanks for the reply

Be careful to determine what the actual charging algorithm of a so-called trickle charger is.

Among battery professionals, a trickle charger and a float charger are the same thing: a closely regulated supply voltage which can be set to the battery manufacturer's recommended "float" voltage. It will also have an upper current limit which takes efffect when the battery SOC is low enough that the float voltage alone would cause too much current to flow.

But the other common language use of the name trickle charger is basically a DC voltage (or unfiltered full wave rectified DC) source whose open circuit voltage may be far above the "Float" voltage of the battery, and which is operating at all times in a constant current mode with a low current value. The current may be electronically regulated, but is more likely to be limited by the source impedance of the transformer and rectifier, possibly assisted by an actual series resistor. These are the units that can boil batteries, in addition to not charging them quickly. :(

For some battery types (such as sealed NiCad) there will be no damage at all done by long term overcharging as long as the current is kept below a certain threshold (~C/100, I believe.)
    For FLA batteries (including unsealed Maintenance Free batteries), any constant current above the self discharge current will electrolyze (boil off) electrolyte.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    For FLA batteries (including unsealed Maintenance Free batteries), any constant current above the self discharge current will electrolyze (boil off) electrolyte.
    Isn't there a range of constant currents, above self-discharge current, but still low enough to not drive the Vbatt above gassing voltage?

If what you say is true, any float voltage below gassing voltage will be inadequate to prevent self discharge.

This is why Iota and other battery charger manufacturers run an automatic bulk/absorb or EQ cycle on batteries on long term float. They claim that a (flooded LA) battery that is floating will become stratified and needs a weekly stirring.

--vtMaps
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Isn't there a range of constant currents, above self-discharge current, but still low enough to not drive the Vbatt above gassing voltage?
    Good question, and one to which I do not know the answer.
    But my SWAG is that as the terminal voltage of the battery rises, the self-discharge current will also rise. At some point if you try to exceed the ever increasing self-discharge current you will eventually reach the gassing voltage.
    But the constant current of many trickle chargers is not in that sweet-spot range.
    New comment to add to the mix: the self discharge current is highly temperature dependent, so a simple constant current trickle charger with no electronics to mention would also have to include temperature compensation. :(
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Hi dog/VT , You guys are talking very tec-y stuff Im am trying to keep up. thanks for the reply
    My g27 fla battery , charged for about 11/2 days at 13.9 +- my trickle charger kicked in and the charge went to 13.1 +- after 2 more days I was at 13.1 The battery was not hot or gassing . Resting voltage is now 12.8 after 3 days
    The trickle charger did seem to kill off a small 3.5 ah trailer break battery in about 30 days .
    I think I will just trickle charge for a day per week and see how the voltage reads.
  • BB.
    Options

Please ask if any of the tech talk is confusing for you... It is difficult for us to know when a reader gets lost in the explanations because there is no body language/feedback--Unlike face to face conversations.

-Bill
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Thanks bill , I need all the help I can get
    I just have a hard time understanding the written word .
    I don't really have to read, write , type, spell at all for work never have .
    I do have a real need to get some power running at my site, its dark up there .
    I am learning a lot reading all the posts .
    Thank you all
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Well here is a update , After cleaning all the wire terminals, changing the lights to 12 florescent 12" bulbs , I thought I was all fixed up .
    But for no reason
    I had a brown out , and nothing would work , I slapped the power converter with a screw driver handle a few times and wala every thing came on .
    I think the power converter is shot, the fuse holders seem loose and spin .
    The trailer only has 5 12volt circuits 2 lights 1 water pump 1 12volt outlet and 1 heat

Sticking with my 4 215 amp hr gc battery , I was thinking about 1 kid CC 3 250 watt panels at 24volt .
    I was thinking about a small chest frig 30" run on small samalex 24volt psi 600watt and a 24volt water pump .

Could I just run a 24volt to 12volt ac converter for the 12 volt loads ?
    With every thing turned on I am at less then 10 amps at 12volt .

then I can use a iota 24v charger to recharge .
    Is this a goog plan of attack .
  • BB.
    Options

Yes, your plan can work. The DC to dc converter to 12 volts will work too.

One issue is that converters have losses too, and you can look at just using your 120vac inverter and ac loads instead.

Depending on your loads, 3x250 Watt panels would be about the minimum. But for a weekend cabin may be ok.

-Bill
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The inrush current is a concern. Chances are the Champion will not handle it. 3600 Watts momentarily on a generator that probably has a 2800 Watt surge rating.

The Honda EU2000i will be of no help either. It's output is only 1600 Watts and surge is 2000.

Sizing down the charger also doesn't help because the smaller unit has the same inrush current. They really need to improve this! Running Watts for the 45 Amp Iota are around 850, which as vtMaps said will use up most of the Champion's capacity.

You may want to get a bigger standard generator. Right now Canadian Tire has the Champion 3000 Watt on sale for $299.99 - pretty good bargain solution.

I had/have champions. They are good cheap generators, but they do not operate anywhere near their rated capacity. The 3000w one will be unstable (voltage and frequency) anywhere over 2500watts. I ran a DLS-55 (12v) on my old Champion 3500/4000 and it BARELY ran it. Forget it if anything else was on the generator at the same time.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • wellbuilt
    Options

Hi bill, Can I run 4 250 watt panels at 24 volts with a kid CC . I think I would be over by 4 amp or so . I have no problem buying 4 250 watt units .
    What power converter would be a good match for my system .
    I wanted to charge with a dls 24v 25 amp for the 215 AH battery bank .
    JC I have a 1500/ 1800 watt champion generator . Thanks
  • BB.
    Options

Assuming these are Vmp~30 volt 250 Watt panels on a 24 volt battery bank, you would have to put two panels in series for Vmp-array~60 volts and then the two strings in parallel. Vmp~30 volts for an array is too low of voltage for charging a 24 volt battery bank.

A good quality MPPT charge controller can run with an "over-sized" array--It just "clips" the output current to rated value, safely and reliably. My standard recommendation for an over paneled "cost effective" usage of MPPT controllers is:

30 amps controller * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 29 volts charging = 1,130 Watt array

So--Your configuration would pretty much max out the "cost effective" output of a 30 amp Kid controller.

Of course, if you ever plan on adding to the array, you would need another controller, or replace it with a larger controller.

-Bill