new on solar energy

Options
voyager
voyager Solar Expert Posts: 35
Hi, I'm new using photovoltaic cells . I just bought 250 6x6 Mono Solar Cells. I will initially build 3 panels of 300 watts each (72 solar cells per panel). The panels will be paralleled . However, I detained my project in the purchase of the correct electric inverter, because there are several options for inverters. I do not know which inverter to buy . I can see that there are inverters that can generate 110 volts AC to 220 volts AC.

My first question is :

Should I better buy the 220 volts inverter as I could also obtain 110 volts or can you recommend me to buy only the 110 volts inverter?

On the other hand , I also see that inverters have different electrical voltage inputs. Some of them operate with input voltages : 12V, 24V and other with 48 volts. I guess it depends on the amount of volts that my panels can generate.

My second question is :

How can I know how many volts my 300 Watts panels will generate and then I think I will be able to buy the correct inverter? I guess depending on the quantity of volts and amps generated by my panels, I will select the correct inverter to buy.

My intention is to be able to make in my house a solar system that generates approx. 5k watts , using approx 17 panels .

My third question is:

Can you recommend me which electric inverter to buy so I can cover this capability? I was thinking in one of the following:

http://www.amazon.com/10000-Power-Inverter-Output-Frequency/dp/B00A0H1IT0/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398967611&sr=1-21&keywords=solar+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/10000-Modified-Inverter-Output-Frequency/dp/B00A35BIPS/ref=sr_1_22?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398967611&sr=1-22&keywords=solar+inverter

Thank you very much in advance for your support.

regards

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: new on solar energy

Do not buy anything yet (or at least buy anything more).

Inverters (and solar panels) do not work the way you think they do. It is not difficult to understand the basics--But you must understand the basics to move forward.

And, things like building your own solar panels out of bare cells--Other than building a single panel to see how it can be done--It is not (in general) safe to build your own large scale panels that will last more than a few months out in the weather.

Here is a good thread on what can happen with "gray market" panels that do not meet NRTL requirements (like UL/NEC/etc.):

Panel Fire Question

We can proceed one of several ways here... We can talk about the details of Off Grid/Grid Tied/Hybrid AC inverter--Or we can start with the question of "why do you want to use solar power--Is it to save money, go green, have backup power, supply power to a remote/off grid home, or what?".

Then we can walk you through the steps that (hopefully) will give you enough information to design and install a cost effective system that will meet your needs (or at least know enough, that you can now hire somebody to do the installation and you will know that the system they build will work for you, and you will be able to perform ongoing maintenance to keep it running).

And welcome to the forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suspect you have just begun looking into this?

There are big questions before you get started;
    Will this be a grid tied system? Grid tied systems feed the grid when you are generating excess electric and you draw off the grid when you need power.

Will this be an 'Off Grid' system? In an 'Off Grid' system you will NOT be connected to the grid and will need to store energy to use when you are not generating electric.

Understand that grid tied systems will almost always require solar panels that have been tested by a national testing lab. Even if they will accept your panels it is very unlikely that you could produce panels as cheaply as they are available (as low as 60 cents a watt in some cases!) and home made panels are able to suffer the ravages of time.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you BB and Photowhit. I really appreciate your support.

I prefer to start with the question: "why do you want to use solar power--Is it to save money, go green, have backup power, supply power to a remote/off grid home, or what?."

Response: I want to save money. I want to connect the solar panels to my house, giving energy at the same time I receive the service of the public electricity company. I don't want to use batteries at this moment. Maybe in the future. At the beginning, I was thinking to build 3 panels (300 watts each one). And then include more and more panels to achieve lower my electric bill.

:( Unfortunately I bought 250 6"x6" Mono Solar Cells, w/Wire Flux Diodes, 1000V Solar Junction Box Solar Cells Panel, Connect Cables, PV Fuse 10A In-Line Solar 1000VDC 10x38mm, Solar PV Specialized MC4 In-Line Fuses and MC3 Branch /Parallel Y Connectors for PV Solar Panels. I was thinking to connect the cells in a serial connection inside of each panel and then connect the panels in a parallel connection.

I was thinking to protect the cells with an special transparent EPOXY RESIN to encapsulate the cells and all cirtuit of each panel and avoid direct contact with the environment. The Resin will give protection against rain, hail, environmental contamination, etc.. I was thinking to install fuses at the output of each of the panels to avoid any accidental electrical overload. I was thinking to connect the panels in parallel to maintain the same volts and increment the watts and the amperes. I was thinking to connect the panels to an inverter and then the inverter to the electric network of the house.

Maybe is not as easy as I was thinking??? :(

Again I appreciate your help and support.

Regards
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

sorry as you won't be able to grid tie with home made pvs as they only allow certified pvs to be connected to the grid.
  • voyager
    Options

Hi Niel I am living in Monterrey (Mexico). I think I don´t have any problem with the national testing lab.

Regards,
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure what exactly you have, some of it doesn't make sense, "...Specialized MC4 In-Line Fuses and MC3 Branch..." MC3 and MC4 are t2o different types of connectors and don't work with each other.

If you intend to 'back feed the grid' or even with the potential to back feed the grid you could be committing a crime! I would first contact the power company and ask what they want and allow.

Lots of people have made panels, don't think you can make them cheaper than they are available, and if it was cheaper and more cost effective to use a "...special transparent EPOXY RESIN to encapsulate the cells..." they would make them that way!

Sounds like you have lots of the pieces, what do you figure your final cost per watt will be?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • BB.
    Options

I would be very concerned about mounting a DIY solar panel near anything flammable (roofing, over dry grass, wood structure, etc.).

It is difficult to make solar panels that will last more than a few months (thermal cycling/weather, etc.)--And as the panels start to fail, usually there is high resistance (heat as a source of ignition) or a fracture in the conductors (DC Arcs and Solar panels are a relatively common source of ignition/fire).

Anyway, if you still want to buy or DIY your panels, you need to do a few things.

First, is it legal with your power company to install Grid Tied Solar (I have no idea for Mexico).

Second, there are guerrilla installs (install without permits)--Then you need to review your power usage and the type of power meter you have... In the US, it is becoming more common to have meters that "run forward" regardless of the direction of power flow (old mechanical meters would turn "forward" when buying electricity and run "backwards" when feeding excess power to the grid).

Which ever you decide to do--You need to be careful about the installation and make sure it is safe.

Next, you need to pick a combination of solar panels plus GT solar inverter. There are a mix of inverter specifications (rated power output, input voltage range, etc.). You need to "match" the Array Vmp & Imp to the inverter's input requirements.

There are "micro" inverters that are designed to connect one micro inverter per panel (or pair of panels--usually around 200-240 watt or so panels).

And there are "Central" or "String" GT inverters that you connect 10-20 or more solar panels too and the inverters will manage between ~3,000 to 10,000+ Watts (brand/model/etc.).

You really need to decide what size/configuration of system you want. Then you need to research the panels (Vmp/Imp, number of panels, mounting orientation, etc.) and figure out what GT inverter you want to pair them with.

You will find "plug and play" GT inverters, and non UL/NRTL Listed smallish GT inverters (typically from China). In the US/Canada, they are not "legal"--But again, many people do install them.

Non UL Listed inverters--There are a lot of them out there--And the little I have read about them seem to indicate, as a class, that they can run hot/fail somewhat often. Specific models, I am not in the business and don't really follow them. If you have some brands/models you are interested in--You are welcome to post a link/ask about them.

One thing that many folks do not realize is that Solar power is operating at near maximum rated output current for 2-4+ hours per day... The "cheap stuff"/residential power devices tends to overheat when operated at rated power in hot climates.

This is true for off brand GT inverter, and even consumer generators (derate by 20% minimum for battery charging to keep your nice Honda eu2000i from dieing an early death--Yes it is rated at ~13 amp output, but running it at 13 amps for 1/2 a day to recharge your battery bank in poor weather may cause damage/early failure--Run it closer at 10 amps or less for better life).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Please understand that "saving money on the electric bill" is not the same thing as "saving money".
    These days homemade panels usually cost more per Watt than commercially produced panels.
    In either case unless the utility power is very expensive the ultimate cost of PV power will be higher: you have to amortize the amount spent on the system over the years it will last (everything has a finite life) and the amount of power it will produce. You could be looking at "saving" money by spending up to ten times as much to produce your own power. What is more if you do not have the right kind of utility meter installed it will read any surplus production you send to the grid as consumption, costing you money for the power you produce. On the whole not a wise avenue of pursuit.

If you want to really save invest in conservation. It never fails to have a good return on investment (providing it's done right).
  • ramloui
    ramloui Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Options

On the epoxy resin to encapsulate everything, this will work only for the relatively short term. A lot of the resins out there will degrade when exposed to UV and will also fog overtime. This is quite detrimental to the efficiency of your panel. Look at some of the boat building sites. They all require the epoxy to be covered with a good UV rated varnish to protect the epoxy resin or else the boat eventually falls apart from UV degrading the epoxy allowing water to come in contact with the underlayment. I can only imagine what that would do to sensitive electronics...

But don't give up!!! Listen to the good folks here. Design on paper first, then build it.
    Cheers!
    Off-grid cabin in northern Quebec: 6 x 250 W Conergy panels, FM80, 4 x 6V CR430 in series (24V nominal), Magnum MS4024-PAE
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Options

Save yourself a TON of hassle and frustration. Put those cells back up on ebay and try to get (most) of your money back.
    When you can buy GT panels for less than $1 per watt, there is no way you are going to build them cheaper nor will they last as long as the 25 year warranty offered by pretty much every panel manufacturer.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you Photowhit / BB / Cariboocoot / Ramloui / jcheil. for all your information. I appreciate your help because I am learning a lot with you. I will be answering in the same order of your responses.

Photowhit:
    I made a mistake. All my components are MC4 compatible. I did contact the power company and they don´t have any problem with the installation of my solar panels. The only recommendation from the power company is to be sure that my utility meter can go backward. Otherwise they can change the meter at free. Fortunately my meter can go backward. The Epoxy Resin that I have selected is one with UV Protection and that takes 24 hours to obtain full resistance. This epoxy resin has flexible properties.
    In Mexico the cost of a 5k watts solar kit is something like 15k dollars + installation + maintenance. The cost of the electricity is very expensive too. According to my calculations I can build my 5k watts solar kit with approx.. 4k-5k dollars. Thank you.

BB:
    Here in Mexico all the houses are build with bricks so usually in the roof we have very few inflammable things. I will have a lot of caution with the electric connections, with the use of secure components. I will appreciate all your recommendations about security.

I spoke with the power company and is legal to install grid tied solar.

I have the old mechanical meter that turn "forward" when buying electricity and that run "backwards" when feeding excess power to the grid. That is my case. The power company offered me to change the meter to the correct one free, in case that my utility meter can not run "backward".

I want to use the "central" inverter. I want to connect at the beginning 3 solar panels and the inverter should manage approx. 5,000 Watts.

I was expecting from each panel the following characteristics:
    - Maximum Power a t S T C ( P m a x ): 300 Watts
    - Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 37.46 Volts
    - Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 8.01 A
    - Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 46.12 Volts
    - Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 8.56A

I will appreciate if you can help me with the mix of inverter specifications (rated power output, input voltage range, etc.). I need to "match" the Array Vmp & Imp to the inverter's input requirements. In Mexico, almost all the electrodomestics use 110 Volts with the exception of some of them that work with 220 volts (like minisplits of air conditioner). Can you tell me which of the following inverter is correct for me:?

http://www.amazon.com/10000-Power-Inverter-Output-Frequency/dp/B00A0H1IT0/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398967611&sr=1-21&keywords=solar+inverter

http://www.amazon.com/10000-Modified-Inverter-Output-Frequency/dp/B00A35BIPS/ref=sr_1_22?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1398967611&sr=1-22&keywords=solar+inverter

I will appreciate if you can give to me a recommendation about a good inverter (not very expensive :) ) that work for my configuration. Thank you.

Cariboocoot:
    In Mexico the cost of a 5k watts solar kit is something like 15k dollars + installation + maintenance. The cost of the electricity is very expensive too. According to my calculations I can build my 5k watts solar kit with approx.. 4k-5k dollars. And my utility meter can run "backward". Thank you.

Ramloui:
    The Epoxy Resin that I have selected is one with UV Protection and that takes 24 hours to obtain full resistance. This epoxy resin has flexible properties. I am considering to use over the epoxy 1 Sheet - 1/8" Clear Cell Cast Acrylic Plexiglass. What do you think? I will appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

Jcheil:
    Please think that this is only an experiment only with 3 panels. In Chile students in an University did a similar experiment with Epoxy Resin and it suppose that the panel is still working after 6 months. Maybe if at the end it doesn´t work I will be taking your recommendation about to begin to buy commercial panels. Thank you.

To everybody:
    have you heard of using "transverters" instead of "inverters"? In Costa Rica they are building "transverters". Look the following site:

http://www.transverter.com/index.html
  • BB.
    Options

What are you looking to do?

1) Run solar panels to GT inverter to your main panel and feed power to your home/backwards to the grid?
    2) Run solar panels to battery bank to an Off Grid AC inverter so you can run AC power without the grid?
    3) Same as #2, but using a Hybrid Inverter that can do both GT and Off Grid power?

Do you have 120 VAC only Utility power, or do you have 120/240 VAC split phase power (typical North American utility power)?

The two inverters you linked to are Off Grid AC inverters (option #2)... One is a Sine Wave inverter (usually a better inverter but more expensive and slightly less efficient). Vs a Modified Square Wave inverter. Cheaper, sometimes a bit more efficient, but MSW waveform is less than ideal for motors (like your refrigerator, well pump) and many electronics with small transformers (wall mount, in-cord) and some AC power supplies (which can overheat/fail).

Are you trying to save money on your power bill? Then a Grid Tied system (solar panels > GT Inverter > main panel+utility power) is the better choice. You will not have emergency/backup solar power unless you install a backup AC generator.

If you are trying to "off the grid"--Then you need a battery bank and off grid AC inverter. Usually costs a lot more for power because of the battery bank (replace batteries every ~5-7 years or so) and other reasons (less efficient so need more panel, more losses for "extra" energy conversion, etc.). In the US, typically off grid power will cost ~$1-$2+ per kWH. If you get really good deals on the equipment and are careful how you run your system, you may get below ~$0.50 per kWH (you are in a sunny region--will help reduce costs).

If you want both AS Mains power plus emergency backup power--You need to add batteries and a hybrid AC inverter. Not cheap, but power costs can be less because you still have AC mains.

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Hi Bill:

I want to run solar panels to GT inverter to my main panel and feed power to my home/backwards to the grid. In the future maybe I will include batteries.

I have 120/240 VAC split phase power. Most of the appliances like TV, refrigerator, lights, etc.. work with 120 Volts. Only minisplits (air conditioners) work with 220 Volts.

Referring to the inverter, maybe instead the Inverter 5000 Watts, I could start with one of 2000Watts or 3000watts and later could buy a 2nd inverter. I will appreciate if you can help me in the selection of the correct inverter. For example I was lloking the brand "Whistler" like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-3000W-Watt-Power-Inverter/dp/B003R7EGA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1400180514&sr=1-1&keywords=solar+inverter

Thank you
  • BB.
    Options

All we need to know is that you have 120/240 VAC 60 Hz split phase utility power... So you can use either 120 or 240 VAC GT inverters. It does not matter if your appliances are 120 or 240 or a mix of them. The utility meter will keep track of the kWH usage just fine.

You need to look for a Grid Tied inverter. All of the ones you pointed at are Off Grid inverters that are designed to connect to a battery bank and power AC loads directly (no grid/utility power involved). The solar panels would recharge the battery bank during the day.

Searching for solar grid tie inverters on Amazon will give you a bunch of "low end" GT inverters. Click through a few of them and see what they are.

In general, we would suggest better quality units like these (and others) that are NRTL (UL and others) Listed:

http://www.solar-electric.com/gridtiesolar.html

Note--On the above link, there are "Hybrid" GT/OG inverters that are capable of both functions and require a battery bank (pure GT no-battery vs Hybrid system).

You might look through this thread too--I tried to explain the inverter world in one post:

battery-less Outback Radian (GT/Off Grid/Hybdrid Inverter options explained)

The subject does start out simple--But quickly expands into all sorts of options/different methods to address a customer's needs and leads you down a rabbit hole very quickly.

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you Bill. I selected the following options of low end solar grid tie inverters:

1200W:
    - Charge For 24V DC (36V Vmp) Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B00BP33W0Q/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400299860&sr=1-34&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie
    - Charge For 36V Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B00BP33W0Q/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400299860&sr=1-34&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie
    - 110V/220V: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300909687823?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=600227167929&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2500W:
    - Charge For 36V Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B009ZQB2J8/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400298564&sr=1-23&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie
    - Charge For 24V DC (36V Vmp) Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B00BP3804Y/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400298615&sr=1-27&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie
    - http://www.ebay.com/itm/110989081746?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&var=410151160587&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    - http://www.ebay.com/itm/370530311631?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3500W:
    - Charge For 36V Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B009ZQD9LW/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400298871&sr=1-13&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie
    - Charge For 24V DC (36V Vmp) Solar Panel: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Inverter-Output-Charge-System/dp/B00BP3BLD6/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400298931&sr=1-17&keywords=solar+inverter+grid+tie

I will be waiting to have the following characteristic in each panel (72 cells - 6"x6" - Mono - 4.2 Watts per cell):

I finally did a selection of low end solar grid tie inverters. But I will appreciate if you can review if they work with my panels: I select 3x1200 Watts, 4x2500 Watts, 2x3500 Watts but I can not understand the difference between the characteristic of "Charge For 24V DC (36V Vmp)/ 36V / 24V / 36V Solar Panel" to take a decision about one of them.

I have a basic question: If I installed all the solar system kit including the inverter, where I am going to connect the inverter? I am going to connect the inverter to any electrical outlet in the wall of my house? or I need to connect directly to the main panel of the house?

Another question: Is it correct to install the inverter inside my house in the wall? or you have your inverter outside your house?

Last Question: I am using an "Solar Pv Cable - 50ft / 12 AWG - Mc4 (SUNLIGHT RESISTANT)" for the cable that goes from the roof (panels) to the Inverter inside my house. has MC4 connectors on both cable ends. I understand that the inverter does not have MC4 connectors. It is correct to cut the cable in order to connect to the inverter?

I was cutting today aluminum to build the frames of the panels. I'll be commenting as my experiment progresses. :)

Thank you again for all your help and recommendations

Regards

Juan

Thank you
  • BB.
    Options
    voyager wrote: »
    Thank you Bill. I selected the following options of low end solar grid tie inverters:

I will be waiting to have the following characteristic in each panel (72 cells - 6"x6" - Mono - 4.2 Watts per cell):

I finally did a selection of low end solar grid tie inverters. But I will appreciate if you can review if they work with my panels: I select 2x1200 Watts, 2x2500 Watts, 2x3500 Watts but I can not understand the difference between the characteristic of "Charge For 24V DC (36V Vmp)/ 36V / 24V / 36V Solar Panel" to take a decision.

The "pairs" of GT AC inverters you have listed are identical, as far as I can tell. They are the same product just sold by two different vendors. The descriptions are written (probably) by a non-English speaker--So a little awkward.
    2500 Watt Grid Tie Power Inverter 28 V-52 V Dc Input / 90 V-130 V Ac Output Charge for 24 V Dc (36 Vmp) Solar Panel System
    2500 Watt Grid Tie Power Inverter 28 V-52 V Dc Input / 90 V-130 V Ac Output Charge for 36 V Solar Panel System

The DC input operating range for the inverters is 28V-52V DC Input, with the "optimum" Solar panel voltage at Vmp~36 VDC (STC). For the 1,200 Watt gt inverter, you would have ~2-4 panels in parallel (note, more than 3 panels connected in series, each should have a ~15 amp fuse or circuit breaker to reduce the chances of solar panel/wiring fire if there is a short circuit in your array).

There is no "charging" going on with the GT inverter. There is no battery bank needed. However, if you wanted to use batteries for some reason, the inverters appear to be designed to work off a 24 volt battery bank (usually fed by solar panels, wind/water turbines, etc.). Basically, when the battery bank is >28 volts, the batteries are charging and there is probably excess current that can be "sold to the grid" like a diversion load/GT inverter.

Because of the technically unclear English (I believe), it makes it a bit difficult to understand how all of this works together (I don't speak/write in any other language--So I could not even do a fraction of this writing outside of English, technical or otherwise).
    I have a basic question: If I installed all the solar system kit including the inverter, where I am going to connect the inverter? I am going to connect the inverter to any electrical outlet in the wall of my house? or I need to connect directly to the main panel of the house?

Note--You are approaching the point that those folks like me who try to help new folks to solar, like you, dread.

I can (and will) give you as much help as I can--But configuring/installing Solar GT systems on a home without detailed knowledge is dangerous. You are working with relatively high voltages and power levels. And you are adding local power generation to your home's power system which, if done incorrectly, can easily cause a fire or worse.

To understand--You setup up an array of solar panels (Vmp-array ~ 36 volts, or your 72 cells in series) and parallel them to meet the input voltage/current range needed by the GT inverter.

For a 1,200 watt GT inverter, you would take ~2-4 of your 300 Watt solar panels, wire them in parallel. And if more than 2 parallel strings, you should put a 15 amp breaker/fuse in the + lead of each solar panel to reduce the chance of a short circuit causing a panel/wiring fires.

Of course, your panels need to have heavy enough cabling, copper bonding tape, bypass diodes that can withstand >15 amps of current before they overheat and fail.

The voltage/current from that array then is connected to the DC input of the GT inverter.

The output of the GT inverter would (ideally) be connected to a 15-20 Amp branch circuit from your main panel. Some people just plug the GT inverter into a 120 VAC outlet--But for various reasons, it is saver to add a new 15 amp circuit breaker to your main panel and run a Hot/Neutral/Ground branch circuit to your AC inverter. This new branch circuit would conform to your local code (ROMEX, Conduit, Knob and Tube, etc.). Your Main AC panel also needs to be rated large enough to properly receive the 120 VAC 1,200 watts from the GT inverter... A lot more detailed discussion needed here to understand how to safely connect everything.
    Another question: Is it correct to install the inverter inside my house in the wall? or you have your inverter outside your house?

This GT inverter does not appear to be weather proof (the ones I linked to on our host's website are weather proof). So, you cannot mount these Power Jack units out side in the weather. You would need to mount them somewhere they get good ventilation.

Power Jack units are known for overheating if operated anywhere near their rated capacity. That is a fire hazard, so these inverters should not be bolted to a wooden wall or over a wooden/flammable floor.
    I'm cutting aluminum frames to build bases and panels. I'll be commenting as my experiment progresses. :)

Note that glass and aluminum have vastly different expansion rates (panels are exposed to sub freezing temperatures at night and upwards of 180C during noon-time summer sun).

Solar cells have a coefficient of expansion much closer to that of glass--So make sure your aluminum backing/frames are not bonded to the cells.

One last warning. Your solar panels are going to fail--Probably in a few months. And they can fail shorted, open, or arcing connections. DC current (over ~12 volts) strikes and sustain arcs very nicely (think of your solar panels+wiring as a very nice and small potential arc welder). The chances that there will be hot spots/arcs in your panels is very high (and possible short circuits to the metal backing--if you really are using metal backing). Do not install these panels anywhere flaming debris, falling electrical cabling, etc. can light brush or buildings on fire.

The Power Jack inverters are also of questionable quality. You should keep them away from wood/plastic/etc. building materials. Thy will need lots of free air for ventilation, so you would not build these "in the wall" (that may be an error in English--I would say mounting them "on" the wall--A non-flammable wall).

Good Luck,

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Do not buy 'low-end' inverters to connect power to your house system. If it plugs into an outlet avoid it at any cost as it is not legal to install. These things are dangerous. You could lose your house and not even get an insurance pay out because of this.

If you want to save money on your electric bill invest in conservation. It is effective and safe. Do not go grid-tie unless you have 'run the numbers' and determined there will be a payback. Then invest in quality equipment from a reputable manufacturer and do it right and legal.

I spend too much time fixing messed up systems created by people buying junk equipment in order to save a few dollars (which they inevitably don't).
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you Cariboocoot for your recomendation.

Bill, I am going to connect 3 of the 300 Watt solar panels, wire them in parallel. I will be using "Solar Pv Cable - 12 AWG - Mc4 Solar Photovoltaic Copper Conductor Cable SUNLIGHT RESISTANT / UL-83, UL-1063, UL-758" to conect all the panels and for the extension to the inverter. I am thinking to put a 10 amp fuse in the + lead of each solar panel to reduce the chance of a short circuit causing a panel/wiring fires. Do you think I need to put a higher fuse (you recommend me 30 amp fuse)? I understand that each panel has "Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 8.01 A".

I will connect the output of the GT inverter to a 15 Amp branch circuit from the main panel. I am going to add a new 15 amp circuit breaker to the main panel and run a Hot/Neutral/Ground branch circuit to the AC inverter. According to your recomendation. Thank you.

I am not going to use metal backing. I will use a panel of polycarbonate with UV protection that has 10 years warranty. Photovoltaic cells will never going to touch any metal. They'll be in contact with polycarbonate panel only. Remember that I will cover solar cells and circuitry with a special chemical compound.

If it works as I hope my experiment, I calculate that the solar cells will work perfectly for 5 years or more. Let's see what happens in time. My intention is to regularly posting the behavior of cells. Here in Monterrey (Mexico) in summer we have up to 43 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit). And in winter we have up to 5 degrees below zero Celsius (23 degrees Fahrenheit). We also have seasons with strong gusts of wind so it will also be a good stress test panels against wind. I'm trying to strengthen the structure of the panels properly. There are also times of rain with some hail inclusive.

Today I finished the aluminium frames they look excelent with the polycarbonate panel. I will post some pictures tomorrow. :)

Regards,

Juan
  • BB.
    Options
    voyager wrote: »
    Bill, I am going to connect 3 of the 300 Watt solar panels, wire them in parallel. I will be using "Solar Pv Cable - 12 AWG - Mc4 Solar Photovoltaic Copper Conductor Cable SUNLIGHT RESISTANT / UL-83, UL-1063, UL-758" to connect all the panels and for the extension to the inverter. I am thinking to put a 10 amp fuse in the + lead of each solar panel to reduce the chance of a short circuit causing a panel/wiring fires. Do you think I need to put a higher fuse (you recommend me 30 amp fuse)? I understand that each panel has "Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 8.01 A".

You are designing your own panels... Typically, I would probably go closer to 1.25*1.25*8.01amp Vmp = 12.5 amps, rounded up to 15 amps.

You can start with 10 amp and keep an eye on the fuses/array output. You may have some false trips on your fuses on occasion.
    I will connect the output of the GT inverter to a 15 Amp branch circuit from the main panel. I am going to add a new 15 amp circuit breaker to the main panel and run a Hot/Neutral/Ground branch circuit to the AC inverter. According to your recommendation. Thank you.

Note that there are 120 and 240 VAC GT Inverters out there... If you have the extra cash--I would suggest running 12 AWG 4 wire cable (Red/Black/White/Green-Ground) to your GT inverter installation. As things move on, it will allow you to install the larger GT/NRTL Listed inverters down the road without having to re-run extra cable.
    I am not going to use metal backing. I will use a panel of polycarbonate with UV protection that has 10 years warranty. Photovoltaic cells will never going to touch any metal. They'll be in contact with polycarbonate panel only. Remember that I will cover solar cells and circuitry with a special chemical compound.

Sounds good--Just want you and your family to be safe. Assume that the panels will catch fire at some point--and mount them over non-combustible materials. If they last and you never have problems--So much the better.

Many plastics are "flame rated"--People think that means the do not burn--That is not really the case. More or less, it means a small fire with the plastic will self extinguish once the source of heat is removed. A large enough fire, and the plastics will burn just fine.

Also note, one of the major failures in solar array (DIY or Store Bought) are "arc faults". Basically a connection failure causes a small arc to start (loose connection, pulled wire, lifted contact). A standard circuit breaker/fuse/etc. will not do anything to "stop" or extinguish Arc Fault failures. So the 10/15 amp question is not material to this fault.

At this point, I am not sure there are DC Arc Fault breakers out there at this time (Midnite is working on them?). There are 120/240 VAC version of Arc Fault breakers, and the Midnite Classic MPPT charge controller has Arc Fault detection/shutdown built in. And some newer GT inverters are installing Arc Fault detection too... Beware that Arc Fault breakers (in general, not pointing at Midnite specifically as I have no knowledge of their product other than what I read here), are a bit on the "touchy side" and can false trip (i.e., the AC AF Breakers will sometimes false trip when using a vacuum cleaner with a brushed/universal motors).
    If it works as I hope my experiment, I calculate that the solar cells will work perfectly for 5 years or more. Let's see what happens in time. My intention is to regularly posting the behavior of cells. Here in Monterrey (Mexico) in summer we have up to 43 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit). And in winter we have up to 5 degrees below zero Celsius (23 degrees Fahrenheit). We also have seasons with strong gusts of wind so it will also be a good stress test panels against wind. I'm trying to strengthen the structure of the panels properly. There are also times of rain with some hail inclusive.

Good luck and I wish you well.
    Today I finished the aluminum frames they look excellent with the polycarbonate panel. I will post some pictures tomorrow. :)

Looking forward to your updates.

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Bill very interesting the problem about "Arc Faults". I am thinking to install an aditional "MidNite Solar Photovoltaic DC Circuit Breaker - 30 Amp" before the inverter
    (see: http://www.amazon.com/MidNite-Solar-Photovoltaic-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B004EQJS1S/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400449537&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=DC+Arc+Fault+breakers+solar#productDetails ).

What do you think?

Also be very carefull to properly solder all photovoltaic cells and the circuitry of the panel.

The polycarbonate panel has holes internally (as you can see on the picture of a cross section). I took advantage of this feature of the panel, to introduce 3 metal bars (see photo with the 3 inner bars) to reinforce the strength of the panel, to situations of strong gusts of wind. When setting the polycarbonate plate to the frame and place the chemical compound over the front surface, I think it's going to double or triple the strength of the panel.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • BB.
    Options

Midnite makes very nice product. You should be happy with anything you buy from them.

You are using "greenhouse" panels for your backing?

You might want to mock up a small section with a couple of cells and encapsulation on the front. Check the temperature of cells/assembly in full sun (no wind). These panels panels are designed for thermal insulation (if I guessed correctly). Solar cells like to run "cool" and having insulation on the back of them might make them run hot and have low Vmp-hot output voltage.

Also, check and see which side of the panels has UV protection--Usually only one side of those panels has the protection and needs to be facing the sun.

And solar panels are rated to ~90C operational temperature... You should test your panels to at least 75C to 80C to make sure they do not delaminate/lose strength in full sun (hot days, now wind).

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Hi Bill, yes I am using "greenhouse" panels for the backing. They give 10 years of warranty. One of the features for which I select this product is because they have a low thermal conductivity due to the polycarbonate. This apart from the structure with air chambers, which gives a heat protection, better than glass and other no cellular plastics.

Yes one side of those panels has the UV protection and needs to be facing the sun (the face with red letters that you can see in the pictures). This side is going to be in contact with the photovoltaic cells.

I will do the test with small section of the panel and two cells and encapsulation on the front. I will be posting results.

Regards, Juan
  • BB.
    Options

Remember that heat and thermal cycling (hot days, cold nights) are very hard on solar panels. I am just not sure what will happen if the back of the panels are insulated (via the plastic panel).

Do some thermal cycling too--Take your hot sample and throw it in a refrigerator (or freezer). Do that a few times a day (hot/cold soaks) for a few weeks and see how everything holds up.

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Right. I will start doing tests.

Thank you.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Something to consider and it has been mentioned is that you want the thermal conductivity to get rid of the heat that the cells themselves generate converting solar energy to electricity. That is a reason that you if possible have air-space between the panels and roof if mounted that way. Air circulation for convection cooling. Retaining heat in them will lower there output, voltage drops with temperature.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you Skydoo. I am considering to have a base that give air-space between the panels and roof. Taking benefit of the Air circulation for cooling the panels.

However, for the stress test I'm going to do with a segment of the panel and two photovoltaic cells with encapsulating. I will generate extreme conditions.

First, single polycarbonate panel and then the same panel but with two photovoltaic cells and encapsulating chemical compound.

In testing, I will do:
    - Rapid changes in temperature hot-cold / cold-hot (direct sunlight at noon and then to the freezer). In the test with the sun, I will support the material on a sheet of metal that will surely generate a lot of heat by the bottom of the polycarbonate. I believe that the structure with air chambers that has the polycarbonate panel, will give a heat protection to the photovoltaic cells.

- I will make the proof for one week only the polycarbonate panel and two weeks with cells and encapsulating.

- Taking measurements of voltage and cell temperature in hot conditions (before putting in the freezer) and just after removal from the freezer again with the sun.

Any other idea with the test is welcome?

Thank you
  • BB.
    Options

Remember, solar cells do not need "protection" from the heat by insulation--They need good heat sinking/ventilation to remove the heat (full sunlight on black cells--About 1,000 Watts per square meter in full sun, and only ~10-15% of that "energy" is removed as electric power).

Solar panels really do not have great "heat sinking". The glass top--Glass is a poor thermal conductor. And some sort of plastic like material on the real (also not a great heat transfer material, not much surface area for transfer to air).

People have experimented with heat sinking solar cells/panels to improve efficiency/life--However, nothing for home scale systems has really made much market impact.

There solar arrays that use lenses to focus ~10x sun on cells (massive heat sinking of cell).

And there are folks that have added water jackets to rear of panel (both solar electric and solar thermal from the same panel):

Sundrum solar thermal kits

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Bill, thank you. I know I have to install a diode in each panel to prevent the return of power to the panel. As I can know: where the diode should be installed and what should be its measure?

Regards
  • BB.
    Options

Actually, you do not really need any blocking diodes. If you are connecting GT AC inverters, they don't feed back to panels.

And if you are using them for battery chargers, you do not need blocking diodes if you are using a solar charge controller (controller will block reverse flow).

What you need are bypass diodes. These are reversed biased diodes about every 10-24 cells or so. These diodes prevent shaded cells (pipe, trees, etc.) from being over voltaged ("dark cells" go high resistance and will be damaged if there is more than ~12 volts or so across the dark cells).

If you have 30 cells in series, then the diodes should bypass every ~10-15 cells (two-three sets total).

http://www.digikey.com/en-US/articles/techzone/2012/dec/active-bypass-diodes-improve-solar-panel-efficiency-and-performance

-Bill
  • voyager
    Options

Thank you Bill. Can you recommend any suitable soldering iron to solder solar cells?