Where do I bond neutral/ground for new inverter.

Options
cupcake
cupcake Solar Expert Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
Hi everyone...

I'm planning on upgrading my inverter from the Mornigstar Suresine (300w) to a Samlex-PST 2000 (2000w)

I'm off grid so my setup is PANELS-->Charger-controller-->Inverter-->[HARDWIRED TO]AC service panel-->normal household outlets

QUESTION: my current inverter is NOT internally bonded so I have neutral and ground bonden in the service panel.

The Samlex-PST 2000 is 'internally bonded' within the actual inverter, DOES THIS MEAN I UN-BOND the neutral/ground in my existing AC service panel?

So basically should I just get the new inverter, hook it up (hardwired), and undo my existing ground/neutral bond within my service panel?

Is this correct?

Thanks everyone for your response!

--Cuppy
~1.5Kw PV in parallel
Morningstar MPPT-60 controllers (2) in parallel
3 Trojan tr-1275's in parallel 450ah total
Samlex 2,000 watt 12-volt inverter hardwired

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Where do I bond neutral/ground for new inverter.

Here is the famous/infamous Grounding Dance...

Besides the Samlex AC inverter--Do you have (or do you plan) on having other sources of AC power (utility, genset, etc.)?

If using a generator, will you have AC power to main panel? What size/brand/model of AC genset? Any sort of Transfer Switch?

Is this a Cabin/Home or an RV?

The short answer--If no genset/AC mains/etc. alternative power--Then you have the choice of leaving the Neutral+Ground bond in the AC inverter (you probably must ground the case to your AC mains panel--per inverter manual) and "lift/disconnect the Neutral+Earth bond in the panel.

Or, you disconnect the Neutral+Ground bond inside the inverter and leave the earth+neutral bond in the panel (still should have some sort of AC inverter case ground to earth/chassis/water pipe ground bond).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • cupcake
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    Here is the famous/infamous Grounding Dance...

Besides the Samlex AC inverter--Do you have (or do you plan) on having other sources of AC power (utility, genset, etc.)?

If using a generator, will you have AC power to main panel? What size/brand/model of AC genset? Any sort of Transfer Switch?

Is this a Cabin/Home or an RV?

The short answer--If no genset/AC mains/etc. alternative power--Then you have the choice of leaving the Neutral+Ground bond in the AC inverter (you probably must ground the case to your AC mains panel--per inverter manual) and "lift/disconnect the Neutral+Earth bond in the panel.

Or, you disconnect the Neutral+Ground bond inside the inverter and leave the earth+neutral bond in the panel (still should have some sort of AC inverter case ground to earth/chassis/water pipe ground bond).

-Bill

Bill..

No other genset etc...

Just an.inverter going to the ac panel

So you say just lift/remove the ground+neutral
    in the AC panel and leave the ground + neutral bond in the inverter and I'm good to go???

Thanxxx
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

You also ground the Inverter Case to your single point safety ground (ground rod, cold water pipe, main AC panel ground bus, etc.).

Lifting the AC Neutral to DC ground may be very easy in the main panel (many newer types use a single green screw that connects the insulated neutral bus to the metal panel). Older versions may not have an electrically isolated neutral bus--And that will take more work (replacing the grounded neutral bus with an insulated neutral bus)--Or change you mind and leave the AC panel as is and lift the neutral+ground bond in the inverter.

Along with (usually) ground bonding your DC negative bus to the single point ground too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    cupcake wrote: »
    Hi everyone...

I'm planning on upgrading my inverter from the Mornigstar Suresine (300w) to a Samlex-PST 2000 (2000w)

I'm off grid so my setup is PANELS-->Charger-controller-->Inverter-->[HARDWIRED TO]AC service panel-->normal household outlets

I trust there are batteries between the charge controller and inverter. :D
    QUESTION: my current inverter is NOT internally bonded so I have neutral and ground bonden in the service panel.

The Samlex-PST 2000 is 'internally bonded' within the actual inverter, DOES THIS MEAN I UN-BOND the neutral/ground in my existing AC service panel?

So basically should I just get the new inverter, hook it up (hardwired), and undo my existing ground/neutral bond within my service panel?

Is this correct?

Yes. The N-G bond will now be in the inverter.

If you have a generator connected to the AC it should not have an N-G bond either (they usually don't) and you would only need to switch the hot side of the AC; the neutral and ground wires can stay connected (and thus the bond remains). If the generator drives a DC charger directly (instead of using it as an AC load source) there is no problem with it also having an N-G bond.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Older versions may have an electrically isolated neutral bus--And that will take more work (replacing the grounded neutral bus with an insulated neutral bus)

Let's hope the third time's a charm. it should be "Older versions may NOT have an electrically isolated..." --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    Let's hope the third time's a charm. it should be "Older versions may NOT have an electrically isolated..." --vtMaps

Wrong.

Older boxes nearly always had separate neutral and ground bus bars. To make the bond you had to install a wire. In fact if you go back far enough there were no grounds at all because systems didn't use them. In many cases the boxes were retrofitted with ground bus bars, and again had to be bonded with a wire. I know this because I'm old enough and experienced enough to have seen such systems.

The bars with the turn-in screw for bonding are the new rage.
  • BB.
    Options

Was not trying to start anything here. Just a typo. :blush:

From my limited experience, older box may have a single bus bar or even two bus bars, both connected to the chassis (no insulators).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    Was not trying to start anything here. Just a typo. :blush:

From my limited experience, older box may have a single bus bar or even two bus bars, both connected to the chassis (no insulators).

-Bill

That is also correct.
    Hey! Let's have a history lesson just so everyone understands where all the confusion comes from.

In the beginning there was no ground. Old houses were retrofitted with wiring by cutting holes in the baseboard for boxes and outlets. This made it easy to add a single ground wire later and upgrade to 3 prong outlets even later. Yes; first came grounded boxes, then came grounded outlets. You used to have little pigtail 3 prong ground adapters to connect to 2 prong outlets putting the pigtail lug under the cover plate screw. (Incidentally such 'upgrades' would not be allowed now; everything would have to be brought up to current standards including raising the outlets.)

So we add ground to the service panel how? Why, we add a second bus bar for it. Unfortunately not everyone got the memo and quite often you'd find ground wires stuffed into the neutral bus bar. Sometimes literally stuffed; screwed down in the same hole as a neutral wire. They'd even twist them together, force them in, and tighten it down. Some times they'd put in a new, larger bus bar and everything was all on the same (uninsulated because it didn't need to be) bus bar. I suspect vtMaps has seen some of these 'wonderful' installs and probably wondered how the human race survived it. :p

Now the next stage in the evolution was the two bus bar box where neutral and ground got their own connections. Neutral bars were isolated because that allowed them to be used as sub panels and maintain the single N-G bond. That bond was provided by running a wire between the two bars when needed. Sometimes they forgot to do this and you had no bond. Not exactly unsafe, but not as safe as they thought it was and should have been.

Modern times and there are now two bus bars, one isolated so the panel can be used as a sub, and the N-G bond is provided by tightening a green screw. You're not only supposed to remember to do that, but also check the continuity to make sure it was done.

So what you have is a history of changing code and equipment coupled and confused by variations along the way subject to the quality of the installer. But Bill's original statement included the qualifier "may" and so in its context was accurate. It's now been changed so many times it probably implies something about flying hippos.

And just to please the pendants I shall edit my own previous post to include a qualifier. Oh wait, I don't have to: it already says "nearly always". If that's not good enough for people then bugger off.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suspect vtMaps has seen some of these 'wonderful' installs and probably wondered how the human race survived it. :p

The reason we have electric code is because some members of the human race did not survive it. Those that ignore the code have a survival disadvantage, and through a Darwinian process we become a society of instinctive code followers.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    The reason we have electric code is because some members of the human race did not survive it. Those that ignore the code have a survival disadvantage, and through a Darwinian process we become a society of instinctive code followers.

--vtMaps

True indeed.
    Except sometimes the code is wrong. :p
  • cupcake
    Options

So just unbond my service panel and leave the samlex inverter bonded and I'm golden??

Do I have this correct???

Thanxxx

--cakey
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• Cariboocoot
    Options
    So just unbond my service panel and leave the samlex inverter bonded and I'm golden??

Thanxxx

--cakey

Yes.
    It is highly unlikely you have any of the exceptions present which require other alterations.
  • Hairfarm
    Hairfarm Solar Expert Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanxxx

--cakey

On my 12v inverter (Prosine 2.0), I've "unbonded" the N+G bond internally by relocating a specific bolt. It was an option with that model. So, now that my inverter no longer has a N+G bond internally, I have made that bond N+G bond in my AC service panel. Pretty much the exact opposite of your set-up. But from what I understand, as long as it occurs in only one location it should work fine. I haven't had any issues...(knocks on wood)...yet.
  • cupcake
    Options

Ok I.hooked up the samlex 2000 inverter..
    Deleted the bond in.the ac panel.. and left the internal bond in the samlex...

Now I must ask:

What is the proper way to ground the inverter?

It comes with a lug already sticking out of the chasis..

Should I just run a wire from the inverter to the main grounding conductor going to the burried rods??

Thanks guys!

--cupakes
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• cupcake
    Options

Also I'm.gonna fuse the positive lead to the inverter..

Question:

Is a 150A fuse good?

I figure 150x12=1800w

And 15x120=1800w

So is a 150a dc fuse proper?

Thanxxx

--cup
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also I'm.gonna fuse the positive lead to the inverter........

not quite. Inverters have internal losses. Figure your max starting load x 1.3 and that will be pretty close. Then you oversize the wire so you don't have much voltage drop.

But now I gotta say, if you plan on pulling 1800watts, you need to change to a 24V system. That's 150a flowing in your wires. Way too much - wait till you price that out wire & fuse.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• cupcake
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    not quite. Inverters have internal losses. Figure your max starting load x 1.3 and that will be pretty close. Then you oversize the wire so you don't have much voltage drop.

But now I gotta say, if you plan on pulling 1800watts, you need to change to a 24V system. That's 150a flowing in your wires. Way too much - wait till you price that out wire & fuse.

I dont plan on pulling 1800watts continuous...

I just figured 1800w to cover the intial surge
    of stuff like my refrigerator..

..I never do more than 300watts continuous...

But I don't wanna blow a fuse each time I restart the fridge...

So what size fuse do you recomend?...

I'm using 2/0 awg on the dc side fyi...

Thanxx

--cakey
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

The continuous power calcuation (from an engineering/code point of view):
    • 1,800 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum inverter voltage * 1.25 NEC fuse/breaker/wire derating = 252 Amp minimum branch wire+fuse rating

If you think you will only use 1,200 Watts (not a bad guess):
    • 1,200 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum inverter voltage * 1.25 NEC fuse/breaker/wire derating = 168 Amp minimum branch wire+fuse rating

There is what is practical from the battery bank... I did not see your battery / bank specifications, but lets say you have flooded cell, golf cart 6 volt @ 220 AH, and you have 4 of them (series/parallel) for a 12 volt 440 AH battery bank.

Roughly, I would not draw more than C/5 continuous current from the battery bank (reliably over time, state of charge, temperature, aging--And C/2.5 for maximum surge current):
    • 12 volts * 440 AH * 1/5 max current * 0.85 inverter eff = 898 Watts approximate maximum power

So, somewhere around 0.9 to 1.2 kWatt would be a nice continuous maximum draw limit to design for.

AGM batteries can supply much more surge current than flooded cell... But by size/weight, they supply about the same amount of AH of power at C/20 as the same size/weight of flooded cell batteries. So--I recommend sticking with the conservative numbers for flooded cell unless you have specific high current/short duration loads.

-Bill
  • cupcake
    Options
    The continuous power calcuation (from an engineering/code point of view):
    • 1,800 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum inverter voltage * 1.25 NEC fuse/breaker/wire derating = 252 Amp minimum branch wire+fuse rating

If you think you will only use 1,200 Watts (not a bad guess):
    • 1,200 Watts * 1/0.85 inverter eff * 1/10.5 minimum inverter voltage * 1.25 NEC fuse/breaker/wire derating = 168 Amp minimum branch wire+fuse rating

There is what is practical from the battery bank... I did not see your battery / bank specifications, but lets say you have flooded cell, golf cart 6 volt @ 220 AH, and you have 4 of them (series/parallel) for a 12 volt 440 AH battery bank.

Roughly, I would not draw more than C/5 continuous current from the battery bank (reliably over time, state of charge, temperature, aging--And C/2.5 for maximum surge current):
    • 12 volts * 440 AH * 1/5 max current * 0.85 inverter eff = 898 Watts approximate maximum power

So, somewhere around 0.9 to 1.2 kWatt would be a nice continuous maximum draw limit to design for.

AGM batteries can supply much more surge current than flooded cell... But by size/weight, they supply about the same amount of AH of power at C/20 as the same size/weight of flooded cell batteries. So--I recommend sticking with the conservative numbers for flooded cell unless you have specific high current/short duration loads.

-Bill

Thanks bill!

So I guess I'll go with a 200a fuse.

Batterys are 12v in.parallel ..5 of them..

I draw no.more than 300w continuous
    The fridge surge is ??? Watts...

So a 200a fuse will cover my fridge surge and blow in case of a short...

Also bill... can you give suggestions to my post on grounding the inverter (a few posts down??)

Thanks again!

--cuppie cakie
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

The typical Energy Star refrigerator typically needs around a 1,200 to 1,500 Watt AC inverter with good (heavy/short) DC cabling properly bolted to a good size battery bank.

The typical inverter is rated for ~2x rated power for surge current--But the typical numbers would suggest a 5x running current for surge current (120 Watt running compressor would have ~600 Watt surge or ~5 amp @ 120 VAC surge---Or a bit over 50 amps @ 12 VDC surge).

You probably have some other loads (lights, radio, TV, etc.) and not all inverters support the same amount of surge current the same way--Why the relatively high wattage rating for what should be a "smaller" load...

We try to be conservative and want the system to always start/run without any major headaches.

Wayne from NS Canada was able to get his fridge/freezer to run on a 300 Watt MorningStar 12 VDC TSW inverter (rated for 600 Watt surge for ~10 minutes). However, he did a bunch of shade tree engineering to make them work (experimenting with motor capacitor values, using auto transformers to drop voltage/raise starting current with timed relays, allow only one compressor to run at a time, etc.).

So, it can be done with less, and Wayne will tell you how... But it is really not where most folks want to spend their time/energy.

Typically, you would run a heavy gauge "green wire" ground from the inverter case ground to the battery negative bus. Remember, you could get that 200 Amp DC line shorted to the inverter's metal case.

If you are going to earth ground, drive a ground rod near the outside wall foundation (you want the lightning to go outside the building). If you have any other grounds (AC outlet green wires, etc.), you would bond those to the same ground rod (+cold water pipe+metal gas pipe+etc. in most codes).

Electrically, all of the grounds are common at the master ground rod (trip fuses/breakers/GFI outlets, etc.). But you do not see the 200 Amp short circuit going through the 14 AWG green wire ground to the common ground rod back to the battery bank.

Just as and FYI, a 6 awg copper wire will fuse around 600 amps of current.

-Bill
  • cupcake
    Options
    The typical Energy Star refrigerator typically needs around a 1,200 to 1,500 Watt AC inverter with good (heavy/short) DC cabling properly bolted to a good size battery bank.

The typical inverter is rated for ~2x rated power for surge current--But the typical numbers would suggest a 5x running current for surge current (120 Watt running compressor would have ~600 Watt surge or ~5 amp @ 120 VAC surge---Or a bit over 50 amps @ 12 VDC surge).

You probably have some other loads (lights, radio, TV, etc.) and not all inverters support the same amount of surge current the same way--Why the relatively high wattage rating for what should be a "smaller" load...

We try to be conservative and want the system to always start/run without any major headaches.

Wayne from NS Canada was able to get his fridge/freezer to run on a 300 Watt MorningStar 12 VDC TSW inverter (rated for 600 Watt surge for ~10 minutes). However, he did a bunch of shade tree engineering to make them work (experimenting with motor capacitor values, using auto transformers to drop voltage/raise starting current with timed relays, allow only one compressor to run at a time, etc.).

So, it can be done with less, and Wayne will tell you how... But it is really not where most folks want to spend their time/energy.

Typically, you would run a heavy gauge "green wire" ground from the inverter case ground to the battery negative bus. Remember, you could get that 200 Amp DC line shorted to the inverter's metal case.

If you are going to earth ground, drive a ground rod near the outside wall foundation (you want the lightning to go outside the building). If you have any other grounds (AC outlet green wires, etc.), you would bond those to the same ground rod (+cold water pipe+metal gas pipe+etc. in most codes).

Electrically, all of the grounds are common at the master ground rod (trip fuses/breakers/GFI outlets, etc.). But you do not see the 200 Amp short circuit going through the 14 AWG green wire ground to the common ground rod back to the battery bank.

Just as and FYI, a 6 awg copper wire will fuse around 600 amps of current.

-Bill

OK thanks again Bill --

But, I must ask again:

Grounding the inverter - should it (the inverter grounding) be connected to the AC main grounding wire OR to the DC battery negative bus?

Thanks

OH and PS - the new Samlex PST inverter is now running the refrigerator perfectly and without issue - thanks guys! (the morning-star 300, couldn't handle the starting surge)

--cupofcake
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

OK--Try again... Words are difficult, and I don't have time for drawing at the moment.

The "cook book" would be:

Say you are using 2 AWG cable from battery bank to AC inverter DC input. Run a 2 AWG cables from Inverter Case ground back to DC Ground Bus (you can use ~6 AWG minimum if your DC breaker/fuse is ~200 amps or less).

Run a 6 AWG from the battery ground bus common to the main ground rod (installed withing a foot or so of the outside wall.

Your AC power panel grounding should have a 6 AWG green wire from the AC panel's ground bus/green screw (not Neutral Bus, this is grounded in the Inverter as I recall--Correct?). Run that green wire to the same outside ground rod.

Run 6 AWG wire from (metal) cold water pipe to same ground rod.

Run 6 AWG from cold water to hot water pipes at water heater (new code in my area).

Run 6 AWG from gas line to main ground rod (new code in my area).

The ground rod is really for lightning suppression. That all green wires connect in one place (at ground rod, but can be a different location for common connection) so that if there is a short circuit anywhere in the AC or DC power system, there is a "return path" to trip protective fuses/breakers.

Single point grounding is to make sure each ground wire is large enough for short circuit loads.

AC systems typically have 1/10th the current vs a 12 volt DC system (i.e., 10 amps at 120 VAC is 100 amps at 12 VDC). And your AC inverter can output a few 10's of amps maximum. Your battery bank can output 1,000's of amps into a dead short. You don't want any of that current flowing through a 14 AWG green wire--Bad things will happen (why there is only one common AC to DC ground connection at the common ground rod).

Note there should be no ground connection from the AC Inverter Chassis to the AC Main panel--To prevent a DC short inside the Inverter from flowing through your AC green wire ground system and frying those AC green wires.

I hope this is clear--Please ask again if not. We are after safety here. :blush:

And very happy to hear your system is working well--It makes it worth the work helping here. :D

-Bill
  • cupcake
    Options
    OK--Try again... Words are difficult, and I don't have time for drawing at the moment.

The "cook book" would be:

Say you are using 2 AWG cable from battery bank to AC inverter DC input. Run a 2 AWG cables from Inverter Case ground back to DC Ground Bus (you can use ~6 AWG minimum if your DC breaker/fuse is ~200 amps or less).

Run a 6 AWG from the battery ground bus common to the main ground rod (installed withing a foot or so of the outside wall.

Your AC power panel grounding should have a 6 AWG green wire from the AC panel's ground bus/green screw (not Neutral Bus, this is grounded in the Inverter as I recall--Correct?). Run that green wire to the same outside ground rod.

Run 6 AWG wire from (metal) cold water pipe to same ground rod.

Run 6 AWG from cold water to hot water pipes at water heater (new code in my area).

Run 6 AWG from gas line to main ground rod (new code in my area).

The ground rod is really for lightning suppression. That all green wires connect in one place (at ground rod, but can be a different location for common connection) so that if there is a short circuit anywhere in the AC or DC power system, there is a "return path" to trip protective fuses/breakers.

Single point grounding is to make sure each ground wire is large enough for short circuit loads.

AC systems typically have 1/10th the current vs a 12 volt DC system (i.e., 10 amps at 120 VAC is 100 amps at 12 VDC). And your AC inverter can output a few 10's of amps maximum. Your battery bank can output 1,000's of amps into a dead short. You don't want any of that current flowing through a 14 AWG green wire--Bad things will happen (why there is only one common AC to DC ground connection at the common ground rod).

Note there should be no ground connection from the AC Inverter Chassis to the AC Main panel--To prevent a DC short inside the Inverter from flowing through your AC green wire ground system and frying those AC green wires.

I hope this is clear--Please ask again if not. We are after safety here. :blush:

And very happy to hear your system is working well--It makes it worth the work helping here. :D

-Bill

Thanks again Bill --

Yes My set up is DEFENITLEY working (and been working for months now) because of your advice. Right now I'm using this new inverter to run the infamous "30 watt" Kenmore refigeratior... so far..30 watts is accurate! Cools niceley too.

Anyways - I attached a scetch of my setup -- is this correct?

My inverter has 2 equpment grounds apparently, one 8awg grounding lug on the DC side, and a 12awg grounding nipple on the AC side...

Anyway I have attached the picture for your review ... thanks again!

--cup-o-cake

Attachment not found.
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• BB.
    Options

My concern is the green wire from the AC inverter to the AC main panel.... My suggestion would be to remove that connection (that is tying the DC ground on the inverter chassis to the AC ground in the AC main panel. Creating a "ground loop" with the grounding to the buried rods.

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Basic ground diagram.

Note the one ground connection to the blue Neutral wire between inverter and AC panel: this is the N-G bond. All other ground connections go to panel frame/mounts, metal cases (AC panel often has ground bus bar not isolated; beware of duplicate N-G bonds), and battery negative.
  • cupcake
    Options
    Basic ground diagram.

Note the one ground connection to the blue Neutral wire between inverter and AC panel: this is the N-G bond. All other ground connections go to panel frame/mounts, metal cases (AC panel often has ground bus bar not isolated; beware of duplicate N-G bonds), and battery negative.

OK guys - thanks AGAIN for all of your help -- the inverter case is now grounded to the ac main grounding wire... also the "30 watt" fridge is now working fine, which was the entire goal of this thread...

so THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who helped...

--Cups-of-Cakes
    ~1.5Kw PV in parallel

• 69MyWay
    69MyWay Registered Users Posts: 7
    Options

Hello - I'm new here - and new to this technology. I'm getting ready to power up an off grid system that will be running in my house to supply power to the well pump, lights, sump pump, and other basic items. I'm doing an AIMS 120/240 12 volt 4,000 watt inverter/charger, four 6 volt T16 Trojans 230 ah. This is being fed by ten 12 volt 100 watt cynergy panels. The Aims plugs to a 240 grid source to maintain the batteries. I've wired this into it's own fuse box...and I now am becoming confused about the neutral ground bond. The answer may already be in this thread...but I'm missing it. Can't get my brain around it.

The AIMS inverter does NOT take ground/neutral in from the grid - but it outputs 240 through two legs and a neutral. It has a CASE ground. The instructions say to run a #8 wire to ground. I'm waiting to do this now - weather dropped to -13 today...so that's not happening real soon. Right now all the loads for this system would be dedicated to the system. I'm assuming the inverter acts as a "main" so my fuse panel would need to be set up as a non-bonded with neutral and ground seperate. The question comes in if I should attach the #8 ground from the grounding pole to the case to the grounds in the panel (and remain unbonded) keeping the neutral and grounds on different bars.

By the way, I'd never considered grounding the batteries to the earth ground too - but it makes sense. I haven't yet mounted the panels, but I do need to bring this thing on-line soon to make sure the SOC on the batteries is all good.

Right...or wrong?

And second question - my house main has the neutral/ground on the same bus bar. If I were to run a back up transfer switch where I could put the inverter power directly to my main house grid (with all the heavy load breakers off) - am I headed for trouble since my main panel is "grounded" and bonded - and I assume the inverter is too. Is this okay????
  • 69MyWay
    Options

By the way, my post seams to have jumped in out of sequence...not sure why. Hopefully somebody here smarter and more experienced than me can pick up on it.
  • BB.
    Options

Everything looks ok to me.

I did change so the newest post is last. Did that help?

Other questions will have to wait when I am back on a computer and not my cell phone.

-Bill
  • 69MyWay
    Options
    Everything looks ok to me.

I did change so the newest post is last. Did that help?

Other questions will have to wait when I am back on a computer and not my cell phone.

-Bill

Yes, that sorts it out (oldest to newest) - and I look forward to your response.

I also know i'm in need of proper fusing for the battery bank - I've sent a note to sales about that. The vendor I bought from didn't have any with a high enough amp rating.