Wind vs. Solar, which is better for a small home project?

I am wanting to play around with solar and wind power, right now I am just in the learning stages and would like to run my flat screen t.v. and maybe some lights, eventually I would like to be able to run a 660 watt window a.c. unit.

I already own a 2000 watt vector power inverter. any advice will be appreciated, if you are a nay sayer, keep your comments to yourself, I am doing this more as a learning experiance than any big plans on saving big bucks on my electric bill. any inut on inexpensive wind generators will be appreciated also!
smile.gif

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wind vs. Solar, which is better for a small home project?

Welcome, I won't say nay but instead direct your attention to all the in depth threads in the Wind section for others experience, read on...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Welcome to the forum... Having a successful off grid system is all about conservation (reducing your power needs) and designing the system for the loads you want to run.

I am not sure where you are posting from... Your best bet is to start with a Kill-a-Watt type meter (here is a 230 VAC version).

Run each load for ~24 hours and figure out your daily Watt*Hours needs for each device you want to run.

More or less:
    • 1,000 WH (1 kWH) per day--Run a laptop, a few LED/CFL lamps, a small water pump (pressurize your home/cabin water), TV, etc..
    • 3,300 kWH (3.3 kWH) per day--Add an efficient refrigerator, clothes washing machine, well pump.
    • 10,000 (10 kWH) per day--A modern home with conservation, natural gas heating (hot water, cooking, etc.).
    • 33 kWH per day--A typical modern North American home (some A/C).
    • 100 kWH per day--A large home in American South with full A/C, electric hot water, etc. during summer.
    A 1kWH per day system--Can be built pretty inexpensively (maybe ~$3,000 USD roughly).

A 3.3 kWH per day system--A very efficient, off grid home/cabin, near normal electrical life... (perhaps around $10,000 USD).

Your 660 Watt A/C--Some of the modern Inverter type air-conditioners are getting pretty "off grid power" friendly. Very efficient, low surge current, and some can be set on low and not run much over 300 watts or so...

Anyway, a TV+Laptop+LED lighting, etc... Are all pretty low power devices. Add a refrigerator, and you added 1-2kWH per day.

Your 660 Watt A/C--How many hours per day (and duty cycle) will it run:

660 Watts * 2 hours per day = 1,320 WH per day--About the same as a good refrigerator.

660 Watts * 12 hours per day = 7,920 WH per day (7.9 kWH per day)--Or roughly the amount of power it takes to run my 3 bedroom suburban home (no A/C) per day.

A/C and other large loads can be done--But it is not going to be cheap or easy.

It is also very difficult to "grow" off grid power systems... You really need to design them for the loads you want to drive.

And then there is location... Roughly, where will your system be installed. Do you have lots of clear/sunny days, or a heavy marine layer?

With wind--Ideally you are looking at a minimum of a 60 foot / 20 meter tower to get the turbine into "clean air". The turbines themselves, are not usually that expensive. However, the tower, wiring/electronics, lift truck/mule to lift/service the turbine is not.

My suggestion is to design/build out your off grid system using solar panels--Then after you get that up and running, if you still believe that you can get a wind turbine to generate economically significant amounts of power, then install it. The solar will usually give you much of your power, and during windy/poor weather, the turbine can help.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    if you are a nay sayer, keep your comments to yourself, any inut on inexpensive wind generators will be appreciated
    ]

Welcome to the forum.
    Well I could give you input on inexpensive wind turbines based on my own personal experience, and that of many others, but I fear that would make me a "nay sayer", so I'll keep that to myself and wish you all the best as you proceed.