Building my first system

Bill S.
Bill S. Registered Users Posts: 12
Well I'm new at this and have gathered a few things already 8 solar cells and 4 free 8D batteries. Now for a few questions.

1. Should I invest in a grid tie inverter to burn off excess power instead of using load resisters and wasting the power?

2. What amperage charge controller will I need.

3. I am also going to build a wind turbine out of an F & P washing machine motor for future hook up can this be hooked up in parallel to the solar cells .

Up Solar (China) Solar cell
Maximum Power 240 Wp + - 3%
Maximum Power Voltage 30.2 volts
Maximum Power Current 7.9 Amps
Open Circuit Voltage 37.6 Volts
Short Circuit Current 8.40

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Building my first system

Welcome to the forum.
    Bill S. wrote: »
    Well I'm new at this and have gathered a few things already 8 solar cells and 4 free E7 batteries. Now for a few questions.

1. Should I invest in a grid tie inverter to burn off excess power instead of using load resisters and wasting the power?

Two things: one, there is no need to 'burn off excess power' from a solar array. It is not necessary. Two, you can't just grid-tie because you want to. GT systems require specific planning and equipment as well as permission from the utility and local inspection authority.
    2. What amperage charge controller will I need.

You have eight panels of 240 Watts. They are "GT type" because the Vmp is not suitable for a battery-based system; the only way you can use them with batteries and not lose much of their power capacity is with an MPPT type controller. Altogether you've got 1920 Watts, which is a fair amount of power. On a 24 Volt system it could put out a peak current of 62 Amps which would 'max out' a 60 Amp MPPT controller like an Outback FM60. It could be used with an 80 Amp controller on 24 Volts or on a 60 Amp controller on a 48 Volt system. Basically it's enough array to recharge 600 Amp hours @ 24 Volt battery bank.
    3. I am also going to build a wind turbine out of an F & P washing machine motor for future hook up can this be hooked up in parallel to the solar cells .

Unless you like experimenting I wouldn't bother. Washing machine motors aren't meant to be up a tower in all sorts of weather putting out power. In short it has not much life expectancy. As it is small wind is notoriously an expensive under-producing and unreliable power source. Experiment if you wish, but don't expect much.

If you do go ahead with this it can be connected in parallel to the solar at the battery. But you will need a separate charge controller with dump load to accommodate the turbine.

I think you might want to start by defining what your end goal is. It may be experimentation, back-up power, off-grid supply, or reducing your energy costs. In the case of the last one I'd say "forget it" because conservation will be a much better return on investment; off-grid and even grid-tie power is expensive compared to utility power.
  • Bill S.

It will be more or less a back up system in case of power failure to run my home in the evenings. I have 2 generators at this time a 3500 watt converted to propane and my new one a 8700 watt predator electric start for my wife in case I'm not around. So my thoughts are during these power outages that seem to be more frequent and longer I can use the solar system to run things in the evening during a minimal load and the generator during the day which will assist the solar system. The reason I thought about the grid tie inverter is that wouldn't be a loss of power between switching the generator off and the solar system on because I can activate the grid tie inverter before shutting the generator down. No sense in complicating things huh...:-)
  • Cariboocoot

Uh, yeah.

Or if you spend the money on an inverter-charger and hard-wire it in to supply critical loads like refrigeration you'll never see that power blip when the grid goes down and/or the generator is started.

A grid-tie inverter is only active when there is proper grid power. Grid goes down, so does it. Instantly.

The variation on that theme is a hybrid inverter which uses batteries but can also sell back to the grid. If there is no GT agreement with the utility you can't use either type.

You are aware that this is not a cheap way to get back-up power, so I guess we can skip repeating that lecture. :D
  • Bill S.

So then there is a question that is still unanswered......if my batteries are charged where does the power go that the solar cells are still producing? Also tell me a little more about the hybrid inverter.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So then there is a question that is still unanswered......if my batteries are charged where does the power go that the solar cells are still producing? Also tell me a little more about the hybrid inverter.

It doesn't go anywhere, In essence it isn't created, unlike wind which needs a load of some type. You have enough array to look into an Off grid charge controller like the Midnite Classics, which can switch on loads(like a water heater or air conditioner) when the batteries are topped of, so you use more of the array's potential.

Are your 8D's standard flooded batteries? You'll want deep cycle batteries for storage (if they have a CCA - cold cranking amp rating they are designed for short hard energy draws)
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Bill S.

I'm not sure if they are deep cycle on not. The batteries were used for our emergency fire pump and there are no marking on them. As for the solar cells they are always producing energy as long as there is direct sunlight therefore usable energy.
  • Cariboocoot
    I'm not sure if they are deep cycle on not. The batteries were used for our emergency fire pump and there are no marking on them. As for the solar cells they are always producing energy as long as there is direct sunlight therefore usable energy.

Nope. Solar panels are a current source. Remove the circuit (which is what the charge controller does based on battery Voltage); no power is produced, no load is needed. No more than you would have something connected to the utility or a generator or a battery. No load = no power = no problem.

If a wind turbine doesn't have a constant load it can over-speed and literally fly apart. Solar panels just sit there in the sunshine.

A hybrid inverter is a battery-based grid-tie unit. It keeps the batteries charged and can export any surplus power available from the panels to the grid. When the grid goes down it draws from the batteries to supply critical load needs. Some examples:

Outback G series: http://www.solar-electric.com/oupogrsiwain.html and Radian: http://www.solar-electric.com/rasein.html
    Schneider/Xantrex/Conext XW series: http://www.solar-electric.com/nexaxwseinan.html
  • Bill S.

I found this poking around the net.....funny how I always seem to end up on ebay :roll: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2400W-24V-pure-sine-wave-solar-smart-UPS-inverter-charger-max-50A-/140940985341#shpCntId It's not a bad price and should suite my needs.
  • Cariboocoot
    I found this poking around the net.....funny how I always seem to end up on ebay :roll: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2400W-24V-pure-sine-wave-solar-smart-UPS-inverter-charger-max-50A-/140940985341#shpCntId It's not a bad price and should suite my needs.

Uh, no.
    Look at those specs again. That is a European standard unit: output 230 VAC 50 Hz. That will not work in North America or anywhere that uses our 240/120 VAC 60 Hz standard.
    The Australian dollars price would be a clue too. ;)
  • Bill S.

Yes I realize it is 50hz and that isn't a real problem and I want a 240vac unit. Our dollar is worth more than theirs so it's actually cheaper. 10hz really won't make to much difference but make motors run slower.
  • Cariboocoot
    Yes I realize it is 50hz and that isn't a real problem and I want a 240vac unit. Our dollar is worth more than theirs so it's actually cheaper. 10hz really won't make to much difference but make motors run slower.

Okay.
    Whatever.
    Not my money or equipment. Have fun.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

That is 230 VAC 50 Hz and not wired with a Neutral so it is just 230 vac. Not split phase 120/240 VAC. You won't be able to charge from grid if you have it available. Unit also looks like it has a max voltage input of 300 V for the solar side of it. 1 year warranty and buyer pays shipping for repair. I would reconsider your purchase decision for something that is going to be used in USA. I know the price looks tempting but you normally get what you pay for!
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay. Whatever. Not my money or equipment. Have fun.

Ditto.. You have been given an heads-up on that piece of gear.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you hope to run from the inverter?

I think there are other cheapy inverter/charge controllers out there that do have a split phase. Hunt around, if your going to crawl out on a limb, with equipment you can't find a review on, it might as well meet your needs, if it works!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Bill S.

You guys need to show a little patience with me a newbie. No I didn't realize it wasn't a split phase inverter/charger but now I do. I've been in the maintenance field for about 35 years now and this in new to me which is why I'm here. So yes I thank those that bring these things to my attention but don't appreciate you people treating me as stupid.
    Ditto doesn't help anybody here to learn especially me. Now if we can get back to helping me acquire the information I need to complete my solar system.
  • Bill S.

The reason I'm here is to learn from the experts and not be talked down to. I posted the inverter so as to get an opinion not be made a fool of. I learned quite a bit from you so far an appreciate the help but I don't need to get beat up over it.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

A few folks here were believing you to be taking the 50 vs 60 Hz and split phase 120/240 vs 230 VAC differences a bit lightly.

We try to keep everyone safe when making recommendations. The 50/60 Hz and split phase vs non-split phase are one of those issues that boarder on the edge of being a safety hazard if done incorrectly and/or with the "wrong" equipment (in North America).

But after a couple of warnings--And somebody saying they know what they are doing--Folks are going to back off (perhaps with one more warning from a different angle).

We all really do care here and 1) don't want people to get injured and 2) not waste money on mistakes that (many) of us have made in our younger lives.

Please take it that we do care and were very concerned that you may not know the level of risk doing this.

The problem for us on the other-side of the Internet Screen is we don't know the level of knowledge of the other writers.

There are many things that can be done safely with electricity/electronics (and even neat ideas that can save money/problems)--But they usually do require a more detailed discussion. The "what ifs" that come with power and safety can quickly become quite complex (ask about ground bonding neutrals and generator sets--That will be good for another 20 posts and a few links to other sources/threads :roll:).

In the end, if you have equipment that can work well with 230 VAC and 50 Hz--Not a problem. And sometimes, some of these inverters designed for the "world market" can be reconfigured between voltages and frequencies.

But one of the problems with "world suppliers"--Specifications and documentation is sometimes confusing--For example from the Ebay.au listing:

**Note: this item is for 220~240vac output only.
    Adjustable AC input voltage 90~280VAC
    Input Voltage Range 90~280VAC (Appliance mode), 170~280VAC (UPS mode)

It can get confusing when you mix all of the equipment/solar-AC charging/etc... It is a complex piece of gear.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Bill S.

Thank your for you kind reply. I am very familiar with neutral ground bonding and why at times it needs to be done. I am also familiar with working with foreign equipment being in the maintenance field for 35 years because I've installed many a piece of foreign equipment that was meant to run on 50hz and the only thing it really affects is if it has some kind of timing program in it which logically will run the clock faster. So yes I understand a lot of the issues of working with 50/60hz. I should have known about the non-split phase inverter/charger but was on information overload. I learned a grid tie inverter didn't work the way I thought it did and I appreciate that knowledge. I'm looking at the schneider C60 to charge my battery bank and a SunGold Power 2000W Peak 6000W AC Input 220V Output 110V and 220V Split Phase Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger 30A 24V for use on off grid loss of power times. http://www.sungoldpower.com/2000w-peak-6000w-split-phase-110v-220v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-30a-24v_p281.html which also can be found on amazon and a little more expensive. Let me know what you think of the inverter?
  • BB.

OK--There are two ways to design your system... One way is based on the loads you want to support, and another way is to design the system around some key component you may already have.

Since I do not know your power needs, but you already have 4x D batteries (I am guessing around 12 volts @ 225 AH)--We can start there. The battery bank is the "heart" of your power system. All of the other "stuff" hangs off the batteries and you can look at each circuit (solar charger, wind charger, AC inverter, DC loads, etc.) as a completely independent circuit (from an initial design point of view). All of the circuits connect to the battery bus through (typically) fuses/breakers on the + bus connection (to limit short circuit current to all of the various branch circuits).

Home running your wiring back to the battery bank is also a good idea for other reasons--Many chargers/loads create electrical noise (120 Hz for 60 Hz AC inverter, 100s-1,000's of Hz for solar charge controllers, etc.) and running the branch circuits to the battery bus helps reduce "crosstalk" noise between devices (i.e., electrical noise on the battery bus can confuse charge controllers).

Next--Picking a Battery Bus voltage--I think you are looking at 24 VDC bus (from your other inverter choice)--So 2x D batteries in series, and two parallel strings is just fine. Suggest that you review the wiring suggestions from this website to ensure that they "share" current correctly.

Next, the size of solar array to support a 24 volt @ 450 AH battery bank at C20 battery rate (that is a good size bank for a cabin/small home/emergency backup power). We suggest 5% to 13% rate of charge. No less than 5% (for a backup system, weekend system) to 10-13% for a daily use system (all based on good battery life/not too much maintenance headaches with under charging system). Over 13% is OK--Just usually a "waste" of solar panels and you should have a remote battery temperature sensor to ensure the batteries do not overheat during charging with higher currents (all based on our rules of thumbs for generic battery installations).
    • 450 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.05 rate of charge = 847 Watt array minimum
    • 450 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.10 rate of charge = 1,695 Watt array nominal
    • 450 AH * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating * 0.13 rate of charge = 2,203 Watt array "cost effective" maximum
    So--We now have a range of solar array that "make sense" for your battery bank.

You have picked your panels:
    Up Solar (China) Solar cell
    Maximum Power 240 Wp + - 3%
    Maximum Power Voltage 30.2 volts
    Maximum Power Current 7.9 Amps
    Open Circuit Voltage 37.6 Volts
    Short Circuit Current 8.40

Note that this panels are Vmp~0.2 VDC. That is sometimes called a "24 volt" panel--But it is not really a "24 volt" panel as we would use the term for off grid power systems.

A Flooded Cell battery bank (24 volts) usually needs ~29-30 volts to fully/quickly recharge, and for equalization can use 30-31+ volts. Solar panels Vmp is a "marketing" rating at ~77F/25C (simulated sun for less than a minute). Solar panels mounted on your roof under the sun will operate at much higher temperatures (sometimes as much as 60F over ambient--Hot summer day anyone?). That can reduce Vmp by as much as 20% or (30 volts * 0.80 =) 24 VDC.

So under hot sun, with controller and wiring drops, we normally suggest a Vmp~35-39 volts or so for charging a 24 volt battery bank with a PWM charge controller (like the Xantrex/Schneider Cxx series).

If you want to use these panels, you really need to put 2-3 of them in series and get a MPPT type charge controller. These are "buck mode" digital converters that can "efficiently" take high voltage/low current from the solar array and down convert to low voltage/high current needed to charge the battery bank (~95% efficient).

For a "nominal array" of 1,695 Watts / 240 Watt panel = 7.06 panels. Since you need 2-3 in series--That would be 4 strings * 2 parallel (8 panels) or 2 parallel strings of 3 in series (6 panels).

And MPPT charge controllers are much more expensive than PWM--~$300-$600 each for a good quality MPPT charge controller.

Another choice would be to get true "24 volt" panels (if you can find some for a good price). They typically cost more these days (lower production volume?) than "GT Panels"... You have to pencil out the costs between The China Solar+MPPT controller vs "24 volt panels" + PWM charge controller.

In general, for many reasons, it works out better to use PWM controllers for systems under ~400 watts, and MPPT for systems over ~800 watt arrays. But purely your choice.

Next, need to choose an AC inverter... We look at what a typical flooded cell battery is capable of outputting (again, since we do not know your loads). For an off grid home, we would be looking at a C20 discharge rate "nominal". C8 rate for maximum continuous; C5 rate max short term continuous; and C2.5 discharge rate for maximum surge/short term.
    • 450 AH * 24 volts * 1/20 * 0.85 inverter eff = 459 "nominal" average load
    • 450 AH * 24 volts * 1/8 * 0.85 inverter eff = 1,148 "max" average load
    • 450 AH * 24 volts * 1/5 * 0.85 inverter eff = 1,836 "short term" load
    • 450 AH * 24 volts * 1/20.5 * 0.85 inverter eff = 3,672 "surge" load
    So, from the above, I would suggest a ~1kW to ~1.5-1.8kW AC inverter based on your battery bank (assuming the AC inverter can support 2x rated output for surge).

A 2kW AC inverter is a bit on the large side--But if you do not expect 6kW surge from the battery bank--You should be OK.

I know nothing about the AC inverter or the company. And 6kW sounds like a lot of surge for a 2kW inverter--But if you do not operate near the 2kW/4kW surge limits--The battery bank should be OK.

Your thoughts/questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • BB.

I guess I should add how much power you can "expect" from such a system. For normal off grid operation, we suggest a 25% per day discharge for two days (50% discharge), then use a generator/stop draining the battery to ensure a long(er) battery life.
    • 450 AH * 24 volts * 1/2 days of discharge * 50% maximum discharge * 0.85 inverter eff = 2,295 Watt*Hours per day
    And, how much can a solar array for this system generate? Using PV Watts for Allentown PA, fixed array, tilted to 41 degrees from horizontal:
    Month    Solar Radiation
    (kWh/m 2/day)
    1      3.22     
    2      3.85     
    3      4.71     
    4      5.24     
    5      5.24     
    6      5.25     
    7      5.57     
    8      5.23     
    9      4.85     
    10      4.37     
    11      2.93     
    12      2.81     
    Year      4.44      

Toss out the bottom three months (assume generator usage for bad weather), we get 3.85 hours of "noon day" sun.

Take your "nominal" 2,295 Watt*Hour per day from the battery bank (assume charging during the day, using battery power at night):
    • 2,295 Watt*Hour per day * 1/0.52 system eff * 1/3.85 days "Feb" break even = 1,146 Watt "nominal" array based on battery bank capacity and usage
    So, I would suggest a 1,146 Watt to 2,203 Wat array with 1,695 Watt array being a very capable "off grid" power system/array.

Nothing magic with the numbers--Purely your choice. You could start with a 5% minimum array, use utility+generator for your first backup power plan--And expand the array as it makes economic/usefulness sense to you.

Anyway, there are lots of ways to cut and paste the numbers--The above are just some suggestions to get the sizing of the system in numbers you can put against your needs/loads and see if they are close enough to move forwards, or if you need to rethink anything.

-Bill
  • Bill S.

This system will be used to run my house in the evenings when there is a power outage which involves very little load my coal heater boiler which has a small blower motor that runs on heat demand, a refrigerator and a TV cable box with the internet router. So the load as you can see is minimal. As I have 8 panels I can run them 2 in series and 4 sets in parallel. As for the batteries I'm batteries I was going to do exactly what you suggested. But I'm still undecided on a 24 volt or 48 volt system because the higher the voltage the less the amperage and smaller diameter wire needed. What are your thoughts on this? Oh and yes I was going with the MPPT solar charge controller.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Just a suggestion, many people here, myself included, have learned the hard way that it is simply not worth it in the long run to try to save a buck and buy this off-brand equipment.

Trust us when we say, you will be MUCH happier if you simply buy the right tool for the job. Especially if you will only be using this in an emergency outage. Nothing worse then having a system sitting around with you thinking it is working, then as soon as you need it, it fails because of cheap equipment. And I am sure YOUR time is worth something. Do not forget the value on that.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • BB.

More or less, 1,200 watts or less, a 12 volt system is fine. 2,400 watts load or less, 24 volts is recommended. Over 2,400 watts, look at 48 volts.

Electrically speaking, you are correct, using a higher voltage battery bank has the advantages of lower current and for some items like solar charge controllers--They are rated for 12/24/48 volts at XX amps. A 48 volt battery bank, the charge controller can manage a 2x larger array vs the same controller on a 24 volt batter bank.

For example, an 80 amp MPPT charge controller can manage:

80 amps * 29 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating = 3,013 Watt array "cost effective" maximum
    80 amps * 58 volts charging * 1/0.77 panel+controller derating = 6,026 Watt array "cost effective" maximum

Another advantage is the ability to use few strings of batteries. My personal suggestion is to aim for one series string of batteries. And a maximum of 3 parallel strings of batteries--More than 3 is difficult to ensure current sharing and the chances of "hidden failures" (shorted/open cells, open cables/connections, etc.) becomes more likely (and can kill a string of batteries or entire banks before you catch the failure). Also, having so many battery cells to check water levels on monthly--It becomes a real pain for maintenance...

In your case, you have the same amount of battery cells to check (two strings of 12 caps, vs one string of 24 caps). The one downside is 48 VDC (really 60+ VDC) rated switches/fuses/breakers is a smaller subset of hardware. You need to get the correct rated components to reduce the risk of fire.

Here is an example of a typical home breaker on ~300 VDC simply being switched off:

And here is another video of sending heavy current through a nail/screw/bolt in a DC short circuit (like your battery bank):

We are very careful here in our recommendations regarding safety. Solar systems have a lot of "interesting failures":

Panel Fire Question

Since you are leaving the system in your home, unattended at times, you want/need to be extremely careful about wiring and using the correct components.

Regarding solar charge controllers, the C60 is a PWM controller... MPPT controllers from the US are not cheap--And many from Ebay/overseas are not very good (or even what they claim--Some have been PWM controllers with a MPPT label slapped on).

Sorry for some of the warnings--I am sure you know what many of the requirements/dangers are--But to error on the side of caution. :blush::-)

-Bill
  • Bill S.

Thanks for reminding me that basically I'm dealing with a DC system in essence I'm dealing with a potential welder. And yes I also realize ac breakers aren't designed for DC circuits. I was leaning towards a safety switch rather than breakers and now I know why. I do appreciate your warning as you present them and cause me to rethink that I'm not dealing with AC but rather a more dangerous DC current. So are you saying to avoid the 48 volts system at this time and go with the 24 volt system?
  • BB.

With the correctly rated components, 48 VDC systems are fine. Remember, I am "sketching" your system out around the batteries you currently have and sizing a "plausible" system around them.

We really like to define a system around your loads (using a Kill-a-Watt type meter is usually very handy, plus it is great to use around the home and find the appliances that are drawing more power than they are worth, turning off electronics that are on "standby", but still use a lot of power like DVRs, older electronics, etc.).

In the end, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want, for example, to run your refrigerator, washer, laptop, well pump, TV/Radio, etc. for an extended time (weeks, months, etc.)--That would be around a 3.3 kWH per day system for many people (a very efficient home/cabin with a "near normal" electrical existence)--Then you would want to look at a 48 volt system (and larger battery bank, etc.).

If you do not run larger loads (well pump) or extended run-time loads (refrigerator) and can live with ~2.3 kWH per day (plus or minus, depending on seasons/weather)--Then a 24 volt system would be very nice for you. And if/when you eventually replace your battery bank, you could look at larger AH rated batteries (cells) and have a single string of ~450 AH cells (2/4/6 volt depending on your choice of battery brand/models/etc.). That would cut your bank wiring issues, and get you down to 12 cells (1/2 the amount of checking/watering).

Much of this is really a matter of choice. For some folks who like to tinker--It is a hobby and the maintenance/puttering around is 1/2 the fun of the system.

For others, off grid solar is the only way they can have a "near normal" modern life miles (or hundreds of miles) from power lines/stores/service. And they need a (as close as possible) a 100% reliable system with few surprises and not a lot of maintenance.

The problem with emergency backup power systems is that Solar usually only makes economic sense if you are running from solar ~9+ months of the year. If you are running for a few weeks every couple of years (ice storms, etc.)--Then many times a couple of smaller gensets, + fuel storage, and backup food/cooking supplies is enough.

Fro me, I live in a major metro area... Even if I did a full off grid capable system--The city water and sewer will be out after a few days/week of regional power failure... Our "big one" is earthquakes (some areas are wild fires)--And while true knocking homes over is actually quite rare in California, having an off grid solar power system bolted to a red tagged home is not going to be helpful either. Several of the reasons I went with a small (1,600 watt) inverter-generator and 20 gallons of stored fuel. Enough to get me 1-2 weeks out without too much problems. And the extra fuel may be helpful for cooking (gasoline powered camp stove) and bugging out if needed (extra fuel for the car when the service stations are shut down/no deliveries).

Long answer--Short answer is it is usually expensive/difficult to add onto (or "grow") an existing off grid power system. If you chose to grow by more than a factor of 2x, then you usually have to go to a larger (higher voltage) AC inverter, need a completely new/redesigned battery bank, and a whole bunch more solar panels (getting matching solar panels a few years later can be difficult--So you end up getting a second charge controller and building out a new array because you cannot mix/match your old+new panels into a single array).

Don't make your decissions on a single statement (60 VDC rated breakers/fuses are a bit more expensive/fewer "cheap" sources available).

Do a paper design of several systems--See what component issues you may have (sizing of wire, breakers, etc.) and how much power your system is capable of (using my rules of thumbs example)--See which gives you the best bank for the buck.

For many off grid people, they actually will put the power system in a separate shed--And if there is a genset, put the genset+fuel supply in yet a second shed--You don't want a single failure to take out your entire off grid system and leave you with nothing (genset fire, batter+solar still works; battery fire, still have generator+fuel, etc.).

-Bill
  • Bill S.

Thanks again for all your time and information. I have two generators a 3,200 watt and a 7,000 watt predator with 3-100 lbs propane tanks. So during the day I would run the generator and in the evening I would run off the batteries. I can run the generators on gasoline, propane and natural gas so that end has been working out fine for many years. So as I said the solar system would be charging along with the generator during the day and the batteries at night. But a possibility of running out of fuel is always a threat I'd then be completely dependent on the solar system which is why I'm installing it. The way things are going with fuel namely coal there are a lot of electric plants shutting down and will eventually make solar power more desirable whether it's cost effective or not.