Wind site possible configuration

gpack
gpack Registered Users Posts: 3
Our community is considering putting up a community wind turbine. We have been advised we have a 1MW export capacity. Can anyone suggest a suitable turbine based on reliability that may be suitable for the site?

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Wind site possible configuration
    gpack wrote: »
    Our community is considering putting up a community wind turbine. We have been advised we have a 1MW export capacity. Can anyone suggest a suitable turbine based on reliability that may be suitable for the site?

What is your location? What kind of site - residential, farm, commercial, rural? The planned elevation of the tower? Average wind speed? (can estimate from location if you don't have the actual data)
  • gpack

We are based in Wales and the site is open countryside. We are not restricted by tower height. The average wind speed is approximately 5m/s?
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

If you are discussing a 1 megawatt turbine installation you will need the services of a professional engineering firm every step of the way. This is not something the DIYer can deal with.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Be very careful about wind and expected tariffs--In some places, the high FIT payments are collapsing due to budget problems.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/87074/rpiadjustedtariffsnon-pvapril2014.pdf
    Wind with total installed capacity greater than
    500kW but not exceeding 1.5MW (pricing in Pence??)
    1 April 2010 to 30 November 2012 11.01
    1 December 2012 to 31 March 2014 10.05
    1 April 2014 to 31 March 2015 8.04*

And there is the whole issue of maintenance and loss output due to mechanical and possible failure to meet specifications.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gpack

Thank you for your help.
    I think your right. It's a serious project, not for the DIY enthusiast.
    I'm trying to get a handle on the available machines out there.
    The FIT rate is declining. We need to look at whether ROCs are a better route to take.
    Do you know of any suitable machines around 500kW up to about 1.2 MW?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

In general, commercial wind only makes sense as long as the government is providing tax breaks, rebates, and forcing the power company to pay way more for the power than it is worth.

Several things to consider... I would suggest a funding mechanism to remove the wind turbine if/when it reaches end of serviceable/operational life (finding parts/somebody that can repair them, after 5-10 years becomes quite difficult--I would research the vendor's capability to keep the turbine running during its planned service life). This is could be as little as 1 year or as long as 20 years--Depending on how well it is maintained and what happens with the funding.

Also, wind is getting some pretty bad press from the detractors--There is a possibility that it could reduce the valuation of land/homes around the turbine installation.

When researching turbines--I would look at what is already installed in your area. You are going to need a local support company rather than bring a completely new turbine with no local servicing/parts sources. Also, you can talk with the owners and see if you can review their production logs (kWH/month, up-time, etc.).

Getting back to basics--Why does the community want wind power. Reduce costs? Going Green?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Why? I just finished a quote/consult with an Indian reservation who just "wanted wind power". The maintenance and service talent can be very hard to fund/find.

Natural gas and/or Solar are just too easy. I finally sent them a copy of the Zuckerman book Frackers. It is about all the natural gas and oil being harvested in the US. They probably have it underneath them and now they are looking at other options. The book is a great read about American entrepreneurial business men.
    BB. wrote: »
    In general, commercial wind only makes sense as long as the government is providing tax breaks, rebates, and forcing the power company to pay way more for the power than it is worth.

Several things to consider... I would suggest a funding mechanism to remove the wind turbine if/when is reaches end of serviceable/operational life (finding parts/somebody that can repair them, after 5-10 years becomes quite difficult--I would research the vendor's capability to keep the turbine running during its planned service life). This is could be as little as 1 year or as long as 20 years--Depending on how well it is maintained and what happens with the funding.

Also, wind is getting some pretty bad press from the detractors--There is a possibility that it could reduce the valuation of land/homes around the turbine installation.

When looking for a turbine--I would look at what is already installed in your area. You are going to need a local support company rather than bring a completely new turbine with no local servicing/parts sources. Also, you can talk with the owners and see if you can review their production logs (kWH/month, up-time, etc.).

Getting back to basics--Why does the community want wind power. Reduce costs? Going Green?

-Bill
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

gpack, try on a UK specific forum: www.navitron.org.uk, there are a few people on there who're familiar with the ins and outs of the UK renewable energy industry.
  • windbarb
    windbarb Registered Users Posts: 2
    As result study that I did on meteorological reanalysis data (ERA-Interim) I have build a website to quickly get to the annual energy output for any type of Turbine. In fact, I now have around 300+ Turbines in my DB. I put a special focus on smaller wind turbines but there also quite a few 1MW Turbines in there. It has coverage over Wales, so it could help you in your decisions. Please have a look at http://windbarb.com/feasibility.php#!feasibility . Any question or remarks are of course welcome to me.