Heat pump water heater?

PhilS
PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
Homepower magazine has run ads for water heaters run by a heat pump (and a heating element, too, that can be disconnected for off-grid installs). Here's an example:

http://www.rheem.com/product/water-heating-heat-pump-hybrid-heat-pump

After having my Sanyo mini-split for a few years now, and because I like it so much and have changed my thinking mode to one of heat pump acceptance, I was wondering if this might work better than our propane water heater.

However, all the ones I find are 240V.

Has anyone seen or heard of a 120V model?

My water heater is nearing the end of its life and I'm exploring options.

Phil

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Heat pump water heater?

Something to consider, is where you live, hot or cold part of the world, where in the house you plan on installing it, and what heat source will supply warmth to that area. Here in Nova Scotia, it seems many people thought they would be the answer to all their problems - - - until it was installed and turned their basement into a refrigerator by sucking out all the heat it could, to heat the water. The problem was so bad that one of the provincial building supply outfits had to source a air transfer piping system that would draw in outside air to feed the heat pump, then expel the super cooled air back outside again.
    Just something to consider and be aware of. Other than that. they should be awesome.
  • PhilS

Thanks, Wayne.

Warm climate (we got 1/4" of snow a few months ago, first in a decade) rarely gets to freezing. The WH is located in a compartment that has an exterior door with vents.

But I don't want to redo wiring and spend a lot on inverters just to get 240V for hot water... I'll keep buying propane.

I saw some of the heat-pump units used 500 watts. I figure that's not constant, just when heating the water. With only two of us, and a water limitation of 50 gallons per day, we don't use a lot of water, heated or cold.

It'd even be worth it (only IF I found a 120V unit) if I had to add some more solar panels (like I did with the mini-split).

Phil
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Do a google search. I saw an episode of "this old house" recently, where they did an add on heat pump water heater, coupled to a conventional tank, and iirc it was 120 vac, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Tony
  • peakbagger
    peakbagger Solar Expert Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

This linked hot water heater has an option for 110 VAC you need a good tank as it reuses the tank. The person selling them has access to a warehouse full of them. They are an older model new unit. Cant beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heat-Pump-Water-Heater-Nyle-Nyletherm1-Solar-Wood-Hot-Tub-Storage-/281249710668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417bca024c

Arguably, the all in one combined tanks are not a good idea as in many areas of the country the tanks will rust out long before the HPHWH will.

For folks in damp climates they also dehumidify the basement quite well.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    PhilS wrote: »
    Homepower magazine has run ads for water heaters run by a heat pump (and a heating element, too, that can be disconnected for off-grid installs). Here's an example:

After having my Sanyo mini-split for a few years now, and because I like it so much and have changed my thinking mode to one of heat pump acceptance, I was wondering if this might work better than our propane water heater.

Phil
    Hi Phil ! open loop home made solar hot water. Drain the system three months a year. You could make one for $400 or less. It is still the best for your area unless you want to run a generator to heat water when the sun does not shine.... You could build a drainback closed loop and run it even more.

With this weather the mini split has heated our house most of the winter so I share your opinion.

The fire wood shed is full but the rainwater is at 3 inches season to date. Should be 25 inches by now. Take care!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• PhilS
    peakbagger wrote: »
    This linked hot water heater has an option for 110 VAC you need a good tank as it reuses the tank. The person selling them has access to a warehouse full of them. They are an older model new unit. Cant beat the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heat-Pump-Water-Heater-Nyle-Nyletherm1-Solar-Wood-Hot-Tub-Storage-/281249710668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417bca024c

Arguably, the all in one combined tanks are not a good idea as in many areas of the country the tanks will rust out long before the HPHWH will.

For folks in damp climates they also dehumidify the basement quite well.

Thanks bagger.

It seems that 120V could be used via an optional transformer. I have a transformer already that I could use. However, it was showing over 1000 watts, way too much for me.

But I then realized that with that transformer, I could use any of the other units I looked at that are 240V. So this option is still open, and I can look for one that may have an acceptable power rating.

Phil
  • stillchillin
    stillchillin Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Its possible the only 240V component is the heating element. Went to rheems site and saw the heater but they don't offer a look at the wiring diagram.
    Might be worth a call to the manufacturer if that's really the way you want to go. Good luck
    18- 235 W Kyocera panel, 12- 4-KS-25PS Rolls 1350 Ah, Magnum MS4448PAE, ME RC50, ME AGS, Outback FM 80, Generac 8KW LP generator, 6.5 Honda Portable generator
  • PhilS
    Its possible the only 240V component is the heating element. Went to rheems site and saw the heater but they don't offer a look at the wiring diagram.
    Might be worth a call to the manufacturer if that's really the way you want to go. Good luck

Dunno if I'd want to go that way for hot water or not. I suppose Rheem could need 240 for the element and still use 120 for the heat pump.

I just am exploring my options. Looking at the systems that use liquid filled panels on the roof too. On-demand units don't do well with hard water, and ours is 35ppm.

My heater is likely to fail in the next 5 years and, unlike the last time, I'd like to be prepared to install something more efficient rather than buy another like is there.

Phil
  • DanS26
    DanS26 Solar Expert Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    PhilS wrote: »

Phil

The Nyle system is a 120 volt system.

http://www.nyle.com/water-heating/geyser-r/

I call it my "too good to be true" project. Heat water during day with excess solar power; dehumidify my basement; cools house by being vented to cold air return; and qualifies for up to $300 tax credit. I only run it spring, summer and fall since I live in a cold climate.
    23.16kW Kyocera panels; 2 Fronius 7.5kW inverters; Nyle hot water; Steffes ETS; Great Lakes RO; Generac 10kW w/ATS, TED Pro System monitoring
  • PhilS

Thanks, Dan. I'll be looking further at that system.

Phil