1000W Wind Turbine Charge Controllers (Off-Grid)

lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
HI

Does anyone know of a known quality make and model for off-grid wind turbine charge controllers? All I can find on the internet are generic chinese products.

The turbine is 1000W and the battery system is at 24V

Thanks
Larry

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: 1000W Wind Turbine Charge Controllers (Off-Grid)

Do you have make and model of wind turbine? I believe the MidNite Classic (designed and made in USA) has settings for Wind.
  • lazza

HI THanks for your reply

It's an unknown chinese make- like all of them here

I dont want a dump-load option... it has to be a regulator with braking
  • waynefromnscanada

Well to be honest and fair with you, I must tell you - - - do NOT expect a lot from your turbine. It's very unfortunate, but without exception, the makers of these small turbines, especially those made in China, GROSSLY overstate their output. You'll likely be lucky if you get 25 watts most of the time when wind is blowing. Unfortunately, their advertising and promotional hype tends to borders on criminal deception. :grr
    Been there, done that. :cry:
  • lazza

Err it's not my turbine so dont feel too sorry for me :cool:

It's actually one of the better ones I've seen- i've put in a cheapo charge controller off ebay which we have just for tests and it's got up to 450W in reasonble winds, which for a 700W rated turbine is very good. I said 1000W as I want the charge controller to be slightly over-sized so it doesnt burn up.

However i still havent found one decent make of this type of wind charge controller that isnt "dump load" type... so any pointers would be most welcome

thanks
    Larry
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,422 admin

I wonder if the Midnite Classic + Clipper can have the Classic programmed to give you a signal when the battery bank is "full" (connect to brake/feather controls)?

The Classic has, at least one (I think), programmable output. And it is a MPPT type charge controller--It is possible that you would see a 2-3x increase in generated energy from your wind turbine due to the better curve matching between turbine and battery bank (according to earlier testing of the Classic during development--as I recall).

By the way, why don't you like a "dump" controller... A 1,000 dump load is not that large or difficult to dissipate heat from. Also, how much of the time would the turbine be in "dump" during normal operation--Where it would be (presumably) better to shut down the turbine to avoid wear and tear while running on "dump"?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    BB. wrote: »
    I wonder if the Midnite Classic + Clipper can have the Classic programmed to give you a signal when the battery bank is "full" (connect to brake/feather controls)?

The Classic has, at least one (I think), programmable output. And it is a MPPT type charge controller--It is possible that you would see a 2-3x increase in generated energy from your wind turbine due to the better curve matching between turbine and battery bank (according to earlier testing of the Classic during development--as I recall).

By the way, why don't you like a "dump" controller... A 1,000 dump load is not that large or difficult to dissipate heat from. Also, how much of the time would the turbine be in "dump" during normal operation--Where it would be (presumably) better to shut down the turbine to avoid wear and tear while running on "dump"?

-Bill

You're right Bill, the Classic actually has 2 "AUX" user programmable outputs. "A" is strictly on/off and can be set to trigger on a variety of situations, while "B" is sort of a PWM kind of output operating at a relatively high frequency, perfect for driving a solid state relay that for instance, could gradually energize a water heating element, depending on battery voltage. In operation it "appears" to work like a light dimmer, except it's reference is battery voltage instead of human fingers on a rotary knob.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    lazza wrote: »
    However i still havent found one decent make of this type of wind charge controller that isnt "dump load" type... so any pointers would be most welcome

There's a good reason for that.

To regulate power from solar panels you need only turn them off; no connection = no power.
    A turbine produces power when it is spinning, and there needs to be a place for that power to go. If there isn't, it spins free - and can accelerate to destruction. Hence the dump load; some place to dispose of that power which isn't actually needed by the system.
    Brake-type regulation is the same thing, except it sends the power back to the turbine to create an electromagnetic field that acts against the spinning. The problem is the more wind acting against the turbine the stronger the field has to be to stop it and the more mechanical stress is created in the turbine itself. Guess what can happen? It can break. Rather easily and with dramatic decapitating passers-by results.
    So the dump load system is the preferred method of regulation. In essence it does the same thing: creates a stronger electromagnetic resistance to the force of the wind.

Unless you're talking about mechanical braking regulation, which is even more prone to failure (but does not rely on a charge controller).

Regulations, btw, require two dump loads in case of failure.

Notice the repeated use of the word "failure" in conjunction with small wind turbines. It ought to be printed on every one: "prone to failure".
  • lazza

Ok. If a dump load option is chosen for the wind turbine, my question is:

Can a solar charge controller be used in the same system on the input side? How would the, say Xantrex diversion load controller for the turbine, conflict/complement with a normal solar charge controller?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    lazza wrote: »
    Ok. If a dump load option is chosen for the wind turbine, my question is:

Can a solar charge controller be used in the same system on the input side? How would the, say Xantrex diversion load controller for the turbine, conflict/complement with a normal solar charge controller?

It mostly is not a problem as the two controllers should work in concert to agree on the stage of charging and the battery Voltage. Another reason why MidNite's controller's are so good; they really will work in concert. With other or a mixture of controllers there may be some disagreement over when Absorb begins or what the actual Voltage level is.

Otherwise you have the solar controller regulating the power to the batteries based on what it sees as Voltage on its output and the turbine controller turning the dump load on/off based on what it sees as Voltage on its input. So if both controllers say "Absorb stage" and both say Voltage is "X" all is well.