Does anybody know what a propane stove with an electric ignition draws for power?

nobody928
nobody928 Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭✭✭
I have a propane oven but the heating element to start the propane in the oven is electric and seems to be drawing alot from my battery bank. I was wondering if anybody else is familiar with a similar unit or situation. I dont have my own watt meter so any help is appreciated.

I have been using my generator to operate the oven portion of this unit so far until i know more.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Does anybody know what a propane stove with an electric ignition draws for power?

Usually, "glow bars" draw around 400500 watts or so (~3.5 amps)... If they draw less than rated power (still seem to glow pretty brightly--usually a crack in the ceramic substrate somewhere), they may not reliably light the flame.

Some gas devices will only run the glow bar to light the flame (my gas drier). Others will run 100% of the time that heat is called for (my stove).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • CDN_VT
    CDN_VT Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Re: Does anybody know what a propane stove with an electric ignition draws for power?

This is why when I made the switch to Gas over electric stove range to purchase a premier manufactured one.
    Like one in the link : http://www.premierrange.com/rangeP30.php

We did have a small issue with the oven , Premier tech spoke me right through the tuning of the temps, now I have a happy wife & great breads & such. This stove needs power for the auto lighting , without power , match to top burners & for oven match for pilot light till hot , easy to start in a power outage , I just rigged in a switch that shuts of constant power to the starter circuit. You need two hands to start the burners/oven off. One to hold the sprung normally open power feed to the starter switch & other hand to pick the gas temp knob. Very quick once your use to it.
    This is why we picked this unit , after looking at what there selling now , and if they decide to change any electronics in these new units down the road , you need a new unit. The wave of built in obsolescence..
    VT
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spark ignition (viking, others) draws very little. Glow Bar consumes several hundred watts while the oven burner is running.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    CDN_VT wrote: »
    This is why when I made the switch to Gas over electric stove range to purchase a premier manufactured one.
    Like one in the link : http://www.premierrange.com/rangeP30.php

Also look at: http://www.uniqueoffgrid.com/en-Ca/Products/Product-Line-up_/Off-Grid-Ranges.html

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • CDN_VT
    vtmaps wrote: »

I did , Not built well enough , even in the cheaping out way, parts also in checking were changing way to much , my new stove use's the same hot bulb & manifold from 1962 .. Now thats the way to build..
  • Jorgel
    Jorgel Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All
    First I have to thank everyone here for all the help I got from this forum just by reading your post. This is my first post after looking at the site for over a year. I figure this is one question that I may be able to answer. Every range is different, that said, I have a KitchenAid double oven gas range with oven glow plugs and electronic controls. According to my Kill-A-watt readings is uses 294 watts a day this is using the oven 3 or 4 times a week.

Jorge
    I will be updating my profile soon.
  • BB.

Welcome to the Forum Jorge!

And you probably mean 294 Watt*Hours (or 0.294 kWH) per day average?

The glow bar probably consumes an average of ~300-400 Watts or so when powered on.

Watts is the Rate (like Miles per Hour). And Watt*Hours is the amount (like miles driven). It is confusing, but you get used to it (eventually--I did sort of :blush:).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Jorgel
    Jorgel Registered Users Posts: 8

Thank Bill
    And yes, you are correct I meant 0.294 kWh and it is very confusing for me with all the electrical terms. I get them all mixed up.
  • mjp24coho
    mjp24coho Solar Expert Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

FYI - I spoke with a representative from Premier today (I'm also looking for a propane range/stove with no AC draw). They said that only their battery ignition ignition ovens would work for offgrid use, as all others draw high amperage while the oven is on. That seems to contradict others' experience here, but maybe it has to do with their current models being different (or a clueless representative). I wanted to be certain it would work before I buy and install the oven. So now I'm limited to just a few models they have that are battery ignition, but she did say they have more such models coming out this spring.
  • CDN_VT

"contradict others' experience here" or My experience here is from deep research & folks on the other end of the phone have NO IDEA of OFF Grid , Backwoods , But they know Survivor bob is about to be cut !!

VT
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

I had to replace the oven ignitor on a high end wolf stove. As far as I could tell, there are really only two types of burner glow plugs. They are in slightly different form factors and with different resistance. It was just some whirlpool part number for a wolf stove. How the system works is the glow plug is inline with the gas valve. The thermostat applies juice to the ignitor which causes resistance to go down in the ignitor and for enough juice to reach the gas valve and cause it to open. It's safety and ensures there is functioning ignitor before gas valve opens. But, they do wear out such that they take longer for resistance to drop (and therefore be on and consuming juice) and hence gas valve to open and eventually the gas valve never opening.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

I'll be in the market myself in a month or two. A shame the Premier 36" ranges have that odd panel to the left of the oven door. Centering it or making the door as wide as the stove would look better.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • upa123
    upa123 Registered Users Posts: 17

Just put in an IkeaAttachment not found. range, which I think is just a rebranded whirlpool. When I installed the propane conversion valve for the oven I noticed it was just an regular electric spark igniter, not a glow bar. It does need nominal power for the electronic circuit control board/gas regulator as you can't ignite the oven without electricity, range burners can be ignited manually with match if desired.
  • BB.

Also, if you can, stick with 30 inch ranges... 36 inch ranges are getting very rare and expensive.

-Bill
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭

If some is looking for a little higher end 36" range (though NOT as expensive as Wolff or Viking!)- we installed one of these 36" Bertazzoni ranges last year and are very happy with it. No glow bars. The burners use piezo type spark igniters but can also be lit with a match. The oven also uses a spark ignitor and should be able to be lit with a match - though I've never tried it. The oven does have a 150W fan. Running it without the fan would probably be ok if necessary as long as the installation was safe enough to tolerate the outside of the stove getting hot. I'm not too concerned about the 150W oven fan though since our oven use is not typically long or often enough to be a big power draw. Bertazzoni also makes similar 30" and 48" ranges.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I just bought this 30" one today, Lowes had it on sale for $431 - delivered.
    Battery operated ignition (8 AA batteries last 3 years) and no standing pilot lights (or glow bars obviously).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_432569-481-BFK100OP_0__?productId=3927503&Ntt=premier+gas+range&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dpremier%2Bgas%2Brange%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

We'll see how it works out.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    mtdoc wrote: »
    If some is looking for a little higher end 36" range (though NOT as expensive as Wolff or Viking!)- we installed one of these 36" Bertazzoni ranges ...

I like that better than the Premier 36". Looks very expensive in comparison, though, from what I could find online.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    upa123 wrote: »
    Just put in an IkeaAttachment not found. range, which I think is just a rebranded whirlpool. When I installed the propane conversion valve for the oven I noticed it was just an regular electric spark igniter, not a glow bar. It does need nominal power for the electronic circuit control board/gas regulator as you can't ignite the oven without electricity, range burners can be ignited manually with match if desired.

upa123, can you provide a model #? I am in the US and have been looking for a stove that doesn't use the glow bars and has more sophisticated controls for oven timing, etc. This looks perfect... if it can come in white!
  • PorkChopsMmm
    PorkChopsMmm Solar Expert Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcheil wrote: »
    I just bought this 30" one today, Lowes had it on sale for $431 - delivered.
    Battery operated ignition (8 AA batteries last 3 years) and no standing pilot lights (or glow bars obviously).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_432569-481-BFK100OP_0__?productId=3927503&Ntt=premier+gas+range&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dpremier%2Bgas%2Brange%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

We'll see how it works out.

I have the LP pilot version of this stove. It is basic but works very well. We have had it in use for 2 years now and it has held up just fine.

I saw a floor model of mine sitting in the appliance area of Menards and was floored. I think I bought mine for $250 2 years ago. I do wish it had electric pilots though -- my wife is easily annoyed with the match lighting when we get our 100lb'ers refilled.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭

There are two alternatives for starting an oven or heater without a constantly burning pilot:

One is to use a spark generator with a flame sensor so that when the valve gets opened the spark is turned on and stays on until the flame is sensed. If no flame within a timeout, then the valve gets closed again.

The other is to use a glow bar. The advantage to that is that you can use a simple thermostat with no electronics to control the glow bar and the heat from the glow bar is what actually opens the valve. Less complicated and more fail safe for out of sight high ouput flames with thermostatic controls. When the glow bar is turned off, the valve closes.
    For visible stovetop burners with manual valves the spark generator is more common.
    For central heating furnaces, the spark generator is by far the most common option since there will be a bunch of electronics involved anyway and efficiency is mandated. Also the glow bar introduces an additional operating delay.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • upa123
    upa123 Registered Users Posts: 17
    upa123, can you provide a model #? I am in the US and have been looking for a stove that doesn't use the glow bars and has more sophisticated controls for oven timing, etc. This looks perfect... if it can come in white!

The US Ikea site has it listed as - model PRAKTFULL 502.548.05 $699, unfortunately it does not look like it comes in white
  • solarhills99
    solarhills99 Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭

Talked to the folks at Peerless Premier about non glowbar ranges. They are coming out with battery operated models throughout their line even the Pro models. Should be available at big box stores within a month.
  • fowlerrudi
    fowlerrudi Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

Check out Whirlpool model: wfg520s0as

We use this. No glow bar - all spark ignition. Looks modern too. No power consumption other than the clock etc.