battery labels and amp hours.

Skippy
Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
Not sure if you covered this somewhere, but I have attached 2 pics - can you translate for me ?

The one battery has a capacity of 845 - 675 and 210 then at the last bottom right it finally tells you 114 amp hours.

The second battery does not have the amp hours, its left blank. . . translation ?

Prices at wallie mart 95 and 109 . . good first time starter batteries ?
2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: battery labels and amp hours.
    Skippy wrote: »
    Not sure if you covered this somewhere, but I have attached 2 pics - can you translate for me ?

The one battery has a capacity of 845 - 675 and 210 then at the last bottom right it finally tells you 114 amp hours.

The second battery does not have the amp hours, its left blank. . . translation ?

Prices at wallie mart 95 and 109 . . good first time starter batteries ?
    You'd be much better off with a couple 6V Golf Cart batteries at Sams Club for the same price as two of those. They are pretty much car starting batteries, the word that comes to mind for RE is worthless.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Skippy wrote: »

Generally, if you don't see an actual AH rating based on the 20 hour rate, you can multiply the "RC" value by 0.6 to get a somewhat close approximation.

In the first case, they list the RC as 210, so 210 * 0.6 = 126AH. On the case they list 114 so that is a close approximation to the typical 20-hour AH rate.

The second battery is rated at 140 RC, so 140 * 0.6 = 84AH more or less. The conversion from RC to an AH rate is not perfect, so these are ballpark conversions, as it can vary among manufacturers and even different models.

As for being a good battery - I'd call it a "learner" battery, and as such is a dual-purpose hybrid (a compromise of both!) and when these fail, the lessons learned here won't cost as much as destroying a *true* higher quality deep-cycle battery by accident or mis-engineering.
  • Organic Farmer
    Organic Farmer Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭

'Maxx Everstart' batteries come with a 5-year warranty [3 year full replacement and 2 year pro-rated]. this includes their Marine Deep-cycle batteries.

If you kill them within 3 years, you can get them replaced for free.

If they last longer than 3 years, then your screwed.

I think I saw once on their website that these batteries were rated for around 80 deep cycles. I assume that means, by 80 deep cycles you will have killed 50% of them. By 160 deep cycles you should have killed all of them.

So if you deep cycle them 160 times over a 3 year period, then they would be a 'good purchase'.

Can anyone guess how a golf-cart / floor sweeper battery stands up in this same scenario? And what kind of warranty do they come with?
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    'Maxx Everstart' batteries come with a 5-year warranty [3 year full replacement and 2 year pro-rated]. this includes their Marine Deep-cycle batteries.

If you kill them within 3 years, you can get them replaced for free.

If they last longer than 3 years, then your screwed.

I think I saw once on their website that these batteries were rated for around 80 deep cycles. I assume that means, by 80 deep cycles you will have killed 50% of them. By 160 deep cycles you should have killed all of them.

So if you deep cycle them 160 times over a 3 year period, then they would be a 'good purchase'.

Can anyone guess how a golf-cart / floor sweeper battery stands up in this same scenario? And what kind of warranty do they come with?
    You better read the full warranty about how they are used and the exclusions. CG-2 's depend on the battery and Manufacturer, Trojan T-105's have a average 733, 50% discharge cycles. Most will last 3-5 years depending on maintenance. Most floor sweeper's use a L-16 size and they are 5-7 years.
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭

Skippy,

Not sure where in Ontario you are located, but as you know, there aren't any Sam's Clubs up here. You can expect to pay nearly twice the price or more of what Sam's charges.

Costco occasionally has 6V GC batteries and are about the cheapest place I've found up here.
    Canadian Tire also sometimes has 200AH GC batteries, but expect to pay about $200 each
    Most car parts places that I checked with don't carry 6V GC
    Interstate Battery stores will have them - again about $200 each for 220AH
    I got mine - US Batteries XC2 2200 232AH for about $750 for four from Total Battery (including the core charge)
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭

Kinda figured that, I have not heard of "sams" around here. . . oh well. . .

I have a battery guy who can order me batteries. . have not pinned him down on a specific size or price, but I do know where to get somoe batteries when I need em.

It was just confusing looking at four different ratings on one battery . !
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.