What size wire from battery to inverter

tom12
tom12 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭
2200w continous soft start says 4400w on box for peak. Would 0 awg 3 feet long be big enough or should I go with 2/0 3 feet long to run a fridge @ 7 amps Is it safe to use a 3/8 ring terminal on inverters input 1/4" stud outside diamiter was measured with a 1/4 socket. Please let me know asap

Comments

• Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Re: What size wire from battery to inverter
    tom12 wrote: »
    2200w continous soft start says 4400w on box for peak. Would 0 awg 3 feet long be big enough or should I go with 2/0 3 feet long to run a fridge @ 7 amps Is it safe to use a 3/8 ring terminal on inverters input 1/4" stud outside diamiter was measured with a 1/4 socket. Please let me know asap
    If it's a 12 v system , use 4/0 you'll get a whole lot less voltage sag and never regret it. You can use a couple flat washers, you do have a reduced contact patch, I guess thats why they make lugs with 1/4" holes
  • tom12
    tom12 Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭

Update 234 amps 2 sec . surge should I still use 4/0 wire size and about the contact the flat metal the terminal stick out of is a little bigger then a 5/16 but yet they used 1/4 studs prob to save money. How many solar panels, batteries would I need to power fridge. I have two deep cycle batteries one kirkland 5/2010 and one energizer 6/ 2007 both in good shape always topped off energizer is 675 cca 840 marine ca , kirkland is 600 cca marine ca 750.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    update 234 amps 2 sec . surge should I still use 4/0 wire size about the contact the flat metal on terminal is a little bigger then a 5/16
    I would, I would not even consider anything less. Your Inverters output is dependent on the Input, The sag is just not worth the cost difference, $1.00-$2.00 a foot and lug.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Update 234 amps 2 sec . surge should I still use 4/0 wire size and about the contact the flat metal the terminal stick out of is a little bigger then a 5/16 but yet they used 1/4 studs prob to save money. How many solar panels, batteries would I need to power fridge. I have two deep cycle batteries one kirkland 5/2010 and one energizer 6/ 2007 both in good shape always topped off energizer is 675 cca 840 marine ca , kirkland is 600 cca marine ca 750.

Don't even waste your time and effort with those marine batteries. You will be disappointed in no time. perhaps even within days since they are 3-7 years old. As soon as you start trying to deep discharge them they are going to fail.

Need some TRUE deep cycle batteries. Like 6v GC2 batteries as an entry level bank. Pick them up at your local Sams $85 each. If the battery says ANYTHING about CCA on it, you do not want to use it for a RE system.

How new is your fridge? Do you have the yellow energy guide tag from it where it shows the average YEARLY KWH it uses? If it is more than 6 or 7 years old you will end up saving money in the (short) long run by simply buying a new energy star fridge that only uses 300KWH per year. Think of it this way, if you have a fridge that consumes 2kwh per day vs a new one that consumes 1kwh per day you will be able to buy 1/2 the amount of solar/batteries. And solar and batteries are way more money than then cost of a new fridge.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html