Options
    Re: Conext ComBox - Firmware update released

Version: 02.01 Build 673 [19 Sep, 2014] New Features
    • Energy odometer (KWh meters) nightly backup to an installed SD card
    • Removed unused run-time counters in email report
    • Changed GVS and GFS configuration settings to two decimal places
    • Added Battery Monitor “Synchronize Now” command

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed configuration issues which causes System Configuration Fault on startup
    • Fixed overflow bug in energy calculation for battery monitor power flow
    • Fixed dashboard corruption when updating from an earlier firmware version
    • Removed unused curtailment percentage from system Modbus map
    • Fixed AC Transfer switch delay settings
    • Fixed GVS and GFS configuration settings
    • Fixed schedule timing error when using data push to cloud service
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sooooo.... My android updated it's version of the combox app software, and now, I can only read the combox settings, since it's (the android app) is loaded with new settings that the combox old firmware does not understand. So I've got the new (build673) file and will be trying it in the AM.
    Wish me luck
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

I use Chrome on my Ipad and Android phone to access combox remote, Works Great! Was hoping I missed Firware update later than 2.01. Waiting for fix's for thing that got broke with that version!! :cry:
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • mike95490
    Options

Cascading Updates !! (worse than Moving Goalposts)

The Bug de jour, has infected Schneider ! darn them. They are apparently taking lessons from Midnight solar, cranking out "updates" without either testing or fully thinking them through.
    First, the app on the android, auto-updated. With new menu items in the android, that didn't exist in the ComBox, and since the android "clusters" several settings into one "write" function, one odd one prevents all from happening. It became useless except as a monitor.

So I updated to the latest ComBox firmware, build673. I used the laptop, win8.1, 5 feet of WI-fi and upgraded via Firefox. Took time, but it appeared to work just fine. Cleared the browser cache, the home page (with my saved login & pw ) came up, and I was in the new system.

In for a new laptop apparently, my 16" screen is now not nearly wide enough, or tall enough, to contain the new web pages. Who still writes s/w that can't resize itself to the browser window? [Schneider does]
    My log settings (and logs) are still there, just lost 1 hour of logging while installing and booting. There are a bunch of new settings and features, but it all works from the laptop. Still seems to be some oddball settings in the android version, that still makes it a monitor only.

And now SWMBO has chores for me to do (she's invited friends for a dinner party tomorrow...) Later
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• SkiDoo55
    Options

Agree that they popped out 2.01 pretty fast. I gave them live link to my ComBox so they could see what I was talking about for bugs that they created between 2.0 and 2.01. They did fix some issues but for me maily broke the main display page. It doesn't include the power from my 2 GT inverters, just shows flow In/Out for the XW2024. Ver 2.0 worked properly in that respect. Tech said that andoer update should be out sometime soon. That was weeks ago??? Still Waiting. Being able to change display size would be a great feature. On Desk PC just size the window to see main devices and battery numbers, otherwise it covers my PVI-Mon Program that display all of GT Inverter information.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • jtdiesel65
    jtdiesel65 Solar Expert Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Options

Didn't go so well for me. Network upgrade wouldn't work. Did the firmware memory reset which left the power led flashing and the status led on. Insert the usb stick and the power led would flash with the memory led solid. Then after 5 minutes or so, the status led would come back on. From there it's stuck in this state. Remove the stick and repower and its back to like it was after the memory reset.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options

I would try reloading the firmware again
  • mike95490
    Options

There were some reports that firmware should be the ONLY file on the memory stick. Also, maybe try changing the brand/size of stick. And the loading was really slow, I recall 5-10 minutes on mine.

• jtdiesel65
    Options

I've tried multiple times with different firmware files. It's the only file on the stick. I'll have to try another stick
  • jtdiesel65
    Options

well, I had 4 usb sticks. The combox didn't recognize two of them at all. One of them, the upgrade would start but then fail. The fourth one worked.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options

Glad hear one finally worked. I think there have been previous posts on some failures with certain USB sticks.
    i am still waiting for a new release firmware to fix some of the things they broke with the last release. Just resubmitted support ticket to refresh there memory. From other problems showing up with new XW+, SW+ hardware with apparent buggy firmware, they are not doing too good of beta test before release.
  • jtdiesel65
    Options

thx. honestly when it didn't work I thought to myself "that's par for the course". I was going to upgrade the scp firmware, but for some reason I'm unable to do it via the combox. Is that one of the things that broke?
  • SkiDoo55
    Options

I don't know about that, I don't have a SCP. My problem is ComBox not showing correct the output going to grid from grid inverters. Just showing flow thru my XW system.
  • mike95490
    Options
    SkiDoo55 wrote: »
    I don't know about that, I don't have a SCP. My problem is ComBox not showing correct the output going to grid from grid inverters. Just showing flow thru my XW system.

There is an obscure screen setting in the combox configuration menu that will "remove" components from the display (Grid, Load, Generator, PV)
    System Diagram
    Show System Diagram Grid

As you remove items, other things dependent on them, stop working. (I have no Grid and no XW PV) When I was tinkering in there, "cleaning up" my cluttered display, other stuff started messing up.

• SkiDoo55
    Options

Everything I have in system is shown on display, just a problem with ComBox not doing the math correctly in reporting combined wattage to/from grid. Not combining Grid inverter output with what XW is drawing or exporting to grid, only shows what the XW is doing. Other screens it does show. This part worked correctly in previous firmware.
    just for info XW4024 is working as advertised for grid support/selling, also talking to XW MPPT to do a full charge cycle on batteries each day cloud cover permitting and send surplus to loads or selling it.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options
    ComBox NEW firmware released Ver 3.00BN0707, dated 2015-02-14, Bootloader Ver01.03BN0118 build date 2014-12-16_12-18-33.
    This time Flash from remote worked good didn't have to do USB Thumb drive.
    For issues I had with last version appears to have fixed the issue I had with it not combing out-put to grid when my 2 GT inverters are online. Haven't checked out other items or features that is said to have been fixed or added at this time. Access to it from Internet works good, multiple times today from my smart phone using my Dyn account with Google Chrome on the phone.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a question on range extenders. There are many for Ethernet and WIFI. Does anyone know if they would work with the XANBUS ? I did not find anything in my search on the XANBUS. Thanks!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    I believe it is a CANBUS / 485 interface...

http://forum.solar-electric.com/foru...ng-with-xw6048

Look for "Can Bus wireless" repeaters and see if there is anything useful for you.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Bill ! I found a few and will post back if I can find anyone using a real product. I have an old customer who is getting old enough that walking is becoming an issue. He is about 400 feet from the inverter. I might be able to split the difference but the 130 feet xanbus max is an issue and he does not want to use the computer.
    The installation was never really done right as the system monitor in the home is probably as important and any of the other considerations. That's life!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• gbaig
    gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options

I am struggling to get Combox connected. While it works at home and I can see analysis on my TAB application but can not access my combox from outside home. Could you guide be how you configure it with your network? thanks
  • mike95490
    Options
    gbaig wrote: »
    I am struggling to get Combox connected. While it works at home and I can see analysis on my TAB application but can not access my combox from outside home. Could you guide be how you configure it with your network? thanks
    Did the combox come with a CD of files ? One of them should be the program that "searches" the network for the combox. The combox does not have a "URL" just an ip address like this
    http://192.168.1.106/login.html
    of course, it varys with your router and other gear wired up.

• SkiDoo55
    Options
    mike95490 wrote: »
    Did the combox come with a CD of files ? One of them should be the program that "searches" the network for the combox. The combox does not have a "URL" just an ip address like this
    http://192.168.1.106/login.html
    of course, it varys with your router and other gear wired up.
    Other issue from outside network will be a combination of things. firewall settings, port forwarding and if your ISP is fixed or gets assigned each time your modem resets. Renews it lease etc. I have a DYN account that automatically detects IP reassignments but keeps the externally address the same.
  • gbaig
    gbaig Registered Users Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Options
    I have a fixed external IP from ISP, I did not port forward. It works okay at home and my application on the tab detect combox automatically. I also have Security Cameras installed where I have done port fwd. Combox is hooked to a Linksys wifi extender.
  • fowlerrudi
    fowlerrudi Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Options
    I tried upgrading 4 different sites remotely to the 3.00 firmware on the comboxes. The hope was there would be fewer disconnects on them. Anyway, the upgrade only took on one site, and on the ones that it failed - it changed the Charge Controller setting to disabled so nobody's battery is being charged today. Combox sounds so nice in theory but lately has been causing way more problems than they are worth. Looking like I may be going on a 300 mile adventure to turn things back on - even though I can remote connect - the charge controllers are responding to anything the combox says. Beware.
  • fowlerrudi
    Options
    Turns out all the devices are working as they should, but the combox is not reporting correctly at all and showing 0 watts solar. It is also now has no control of the devices. I updated via USB and got 3.0 on there and everything is tickety boo.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options
    Sorry to hear about firmware update problems. For the first time mine went perfect as advertised over network. Normally had to do the USB flash drive route. After reboot all devices reporting correctly and full control from any remote access.
    Need to verify your associations from your solar devices, make sure of no conflicts to grid etc. grid inverter needs to be in Standby to write changes. XW MPPT will take most changes while operating as will the XW inverter. It wil let you know if it can't. My XW is set grid 1 and inverter 1 is set grid 1. Inverter 2 is set grid 2.
  • SkiDoo55
    Options
    Io Just a note is to reflash the ComBox again. Mine has always taken the upgrades and I have even reflashed back to previous version with no problems. If using thumb drive make sure the only version on it is the one you want. Either put any others in a sub folder or remove it. New Firmware has to be the only one in the root part of the drive. It will load the first one it comes too if more than one in root folder.
  • fowlerrudi
    Options
    I ended up flashing each site manually via USB.
  • BaldwinCo
    BaldwinCo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options
    fowlerrudi wrote: »
    Turns out all the devices are working as they should, but the combox is not reporting correctly at all and showing 0 watts solar. It is also now has no control of the devices. I updated via USB and got 3.0 on there and everything is tickety boo.

Fowlerrudi, How did you resolve the "0 Watts" problem? I remotely uploaded 3.0 and all seemed to go fine, but get the 0 Watt calculation. I read that you eventually uploaded the software via USB drive. It does not make sense to me that this would cause the device to act differently once 3.0 was installed. Thank You for your help.
  • new2PV
    new2PV Solar Expert Posts: 305 ✭✭
    Options
    The old software might have had some bugs fixed by the new upgrade.
    XW6848 inverter with 2 X mppt 60 150 CC , with Canadian solar 260Watt panels 2 x 3.5 kw array