GE Induction electric cooktop

westbranch
westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
just looked this unit up for the wife and was shocked at the draw of its 11" 'element' 3.7Kw max.:cry:
smaller elements are 2.5Kw and 1.8Kw

http://www.gebuilder.ca/jsp/ge_Features.jsp?model_id=56152&product_id=9&cmb_Brands=---&cmb_Colours=---&cmb_83=---&cmb_184_314=---&cmb_641=1972&cmb_PriceMax=---&cmb_PriceMin=---&count=2&x=52&y=9

Not for us at that draw!

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
West Chilcotin, BC, Canada

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: GE Induction electric cooktop

WOW! That's pretty heavy on the juice! Out to lunch unless you happen to own your own nuclear power plant.
    Good thing they're not all that hungry for amps.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i don't have to say a word do i?

better lock it bill as i posted on it for it might be contrary to someone in absentia.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I LOVE my electric pressure cooker. 900 watts till up to temp, then cycles once in a while to maintain. Well insulated, very little heat escapes, and unlike conventional stove-top pressure cookers, no steam escapes unless you manually release it. The microprocessor monitors internal temperature instead of pressure. Temperature indicates pressure level. While the sun shines I bottle and process my garden fresh, ripe tomatoes, among a whole bunch of other things :)
    That's on top of cooking meals. :D
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭

It is possible, and even looks likely from how their marketing approach, that 3.7kW is just the maximum level of heat, which you may not really use often, if ever. It says it has many levels of heat, and therefore you might be doing most (all?) of your cooking at lower levels.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    NorthGuy wrote: »
    It is possible, and even looks likely from how their marketing approach, that 3.7kW is just the maximum level of heat, which you may not really use often, if ever. It says it has many levels of heat, and therefore you might be doing most (all?) of your cooking at lower levels.

3.7 kW is the rating of the largest element. It has three at 2.5 kW and one at 1.8 kW. If you turned them all on at once (while trying to cook Thanksgiving dinner, say) the draw would be up to 12.8 kW, the same as a standard electric stove at max. This would be murder on even a large off-grid system. The typical off-grid system couldn't even stand the additional 'hit' of the smallest element.

People forget that both the Watt hours and the maximum Watts affect a system's performance. Even though the elements will cycle on and off (as will a standard electric element or even a microwave) and only draw for a few minutes the loading of the system is heavy when they are on. This has to be taken into consideration for both inverter size and battery bank capacity (ability to supply the Amps on demand with severe Voltage drop).

One of these cook tops wired to a single XW6048 could shut the system down in an instant if all elements were on at once. It would be pulling 267 Amps @ 48 Volts for the cook top alone. So you'd have a choice of trying to remember not to use everything at once, or putting in dual 6kW inverters and a 3,000 Amp hour battery bank. That's pretty far from the typical off-grid installation.

Niel made this point in the previous thread about these things and was pilloried for it. Well here are the facts again, and they are the facts. Electricity is not a practical way to heat things off-grid. It requires more system capacity to store and make use of the power needed than a simple tank of fossil fuel which, unlike a battery bank, requires no maintenance. When not in use the extra electrical capacity because an expensive non-returning capital investment.

End of story.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    One of these cook tops wired to a single XW6048 could shut the system down in an instant if all elements were on at once. It would be pulling 267 Amps @ 48 Volts for the cook top alone. .......or putting in dual 6kW inverters and a 3,000 Amp hour battery bank.
    End of story.

Right on the mark Marc. You 'might' be able to get by on 5K inverters but they would be smokin' to do it and then there would be the fridge and lights and...

All I wanted to do was bring up what happens when SWMBO goes cruising through a magazine and says "I think one of these would be nice at the lake for summer cooking" and the reaction when I get to say how much instantaneous power it will draw let alone the Whrs to cook ... (whatever)... and how big the array would have to be, etc.

Interesting, I just looked at ( due to some 'sad eye' prompting) the amp rating for ribbon types and they are different 30/40 A at 208/240 voltages..?? also some strange specs as the pic shows 4 elements, 1 small, 2 med, 1 large but there are only numbers for the small and large. Wondering if one of the 2ribbon elements can be used as a 1 ribbon one for less draw? tech drawing would be nice... Email sent...

http://www.geappliances.ca/jsp/ge_RangeDetails.jsp?model_id=53254&model_id=53254&product_id=9&photo=Y&line=

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
This discussion has been closed.