Need help in designing DIY Emergency Solar System for small apartment

Options
2»

Comments

• Lioness29
    Lioness29 Solar Expert Posts: 25
    Options
    Re: Need DIY Off-Grid for Small Apartment

Thanks BB, Wish I had time to take a course in Electricity, but I just don't. I hoped I could learn enough on this forum to put together a system. I'm wondering if I "bit off more than I can chew" so to speak!
  • Lioness29
    Options

Hello Bill,

There is so much in your post to me, and it's quite daunting! I wish the Goal Zero you mentioned would accomplish what I need. But at the very least I want to be able to recharge a smart cell phone AND a laptop. It looks like I would need the Sherpa 50 Solar Recharging Kit and it costs ~$500.00 That's the amount I hoped to be able to spend to get something to run a few items. I've pared down my wish list. I would be happy with: A light to read by (LED is fine), recharge smart phone & laptop, run a small fan and, if possible, run a 500-600watt cheap microwave (which I would need to purchase since my microwave is more than 600watts). I could even drop the microwave from my wish list if it's a deal breaker. With the reduced list, do I still need a Kill-A-Watt meter? Unfortunately, every cent counts for me.
  • Lioness29
    Options

Me again Bill, I checked out the WaterBob and it looks like something good to have on hand. Even if reused with maybe some bacteria, couldn't you run the water through a water filter? I have a Berkey.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

Not really--If you are careful and understand the basics--You can do OK. There will be a few mistakes (we all make them)--But if you like a little DIY, it can be done.

Keep your first system "small" -- It is not much different than working on your car.

Here are a couple of links:
    BB. wrote: »
    Add this link to our Solar Beginner Post:

Emergency Power

Basically a very long thread that starts from the beginning with a few vague requirements through design and assembly for a "portable" solar RE off-grid power box.

And here is another example by Mike90045 called the Solar Monolith:

attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752636

attachment.php?attachmentid=385&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234752653

Update pictures/information here.

-Bill

Note--You may not even need a solar panel (if you don't have full sun for 3-6 hours per day somewhere, solar panels do not do you much good... Charging from AC power (short outages) or from your car or small genset (like the Honda eu1000i), for longer outages.

But the way, I suggested propane stoves--But there are the old "Sterno" gelled gas/alcohol stoves for survival that work well too:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=emergency%20stove&sprefix=emergency+stove%2Caps%2C420

The big problem with any emergency/portable stove, you have to be very fire safe--Not many of them are really safe to use indoors on a kitchen table (they throw off too much heat towards the table) and/or are not real steady (easy to knock over).

For boats, alcohol as a fuel was much safer--If there was a spill/fire, water will put out an alcohol fire/dilute the fuel--Gasoline and Kerosene/Diesel will float on water.

You can use inexpensive propane stoves and screw-in cylinders (used for cooking on a table)--But I am not a fan of them for emergency use... I have seen the "cheap" propane cylinders bleed to empty if stored for a few years. The heavier 16 oz cylinders (and larger) don't seem to have that problem (links are just examples of what I am talking about--Not suggestions of what/where to purchase).

The D cell (and AA cell) alkaline batteries these days are dated and should last >5 years if purchased fresh... Use the LED Lantern, get an AM/FM emergency radio, and a couple LED Flashlights, etc. and you "standardize" on cells/batteries (everything uses the same one or two types of cells).

If you hike and use a flashlight, etc... You will naturally use your stock up and rotate anyway. And, you will know if something has failed before the next emergency use (you should have 2-3 of something, flashlight, backup radio, etc. anyway--Having one item, that can fail anytime, and no backup is not a good plan).

Anyway, you will have to replace batteries after 5 years--D/C/AA/AAA anyway--And they are a lot cheaper than a pair of Deep Cycle Lead Acid Batteries--And the golf cart batteries will have about the same life.

You can get AA to USB adapters (like the little Goal Zero I had a link too)--They can be filled with AA alkaline cells and used to charge up your cell phone/MP3 players too.

A 12 pack of D cells and/or 48 pack of AA cells is something less than $15 each--They will provide you weeks of lighting/radio/cell phone power if used reasonably (not 24 hours per day).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Need help in designing DIY Emergency Solar System for small apartment
    Lioness29 wrote: »
    Thank mtdoc, It seems like the Biolite is a bit pricey for what you get. It wouldn't charge my laptop, only the cell phone. Except for charging the cell phone, wouldn't a BBQ grill work just as well?

Yes, the Biolite is not cheap but I actually do think it is worth the money. Even without the ability to charge a phone or AA/AAA batteries through it's usb charger, it has many advantages over using a BBQ or typical camp stove.

It is really a small Rocket Stove which means it is incredibly efficient. You can literally boil a quart of water with a handful of twigs as fast as you can on a gas stove. It burns very cleanly and thoroughly so that after boiling your quart of water you end up with only a teaspoon or so of fine ash.

For short lived grid outages, etc - it's not gonna be the most cost efficient choice since a small camp stove with a few cans of fuel and a stock of small batteries will get you through just fine. But for longer outages where ongoing availability of fuel or batteries may be in question it is worth the cost.

Those same advantages make it a good choice for extended back country adventures which is why I got mine...
  • Lioness29
    Options

Hey Bill,

I looked at the "Emergency Power? thread you mentioned in your last post. With my pared down wish list (A light to read by (LED is fine), recharge smart phone & laptop, run a small fan and, ONLY if possible, run a 500-600watt cheap microwave) are the specs listed below what I'm looking for? I really think I need to buy something locally so that if I have trouble I can go back to the vendor. 1) Where would I go to get something like this? 2) Do you think this system would fit within my $500 price? 3)Could you fill in the gaps in my specs. I just don't understand volts and amps, AGM, flooded, resistance, etc. If I have specs, I can go to a store with my little piece of paper in hand and get them to fill my order.

Inverter: 600 Watt Sine Wave Inverter
    Battery:
    Deep cycle; (AGM or standard flooded?) 12 volts; 34 to 85 Amp-hour Concorde AGM totally sealed battery - they have very low internal resistance and cannot leak.
    Battery charger: Regulated 12volt, 15 amps?
    Cables: Kind? Length? specs?
    Misc equipment needed?
    I won't get a solar panel to begin with so I would just charge the battery with my car?

What is this for and do I need it?
    "Converter" (DC power supplies). These allow you to run DC equipment designed to run from a battery from AC.
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options

You can get rechargeable D-cell batteries if you wish, but most rechargeables self-discharge over time and my experience (I have a LOT of NiMH rechargeables) is they are usually about dead right when I need them. Alkalines do fine for many years, and I have taken to using the flashlights so I gradually go through the batteries over time anyway. (As with my solar system, if I use the item I know it's working. It's when I put it up on a shelf and only pull it out for the emergency that the thing winds up dead!)

The "just be careful" part was for the deep-cycle battery. Don't tip it over (in case the acid should spill out), and if you charge it quickly (with a big battery charger) put it outside due to gases that may vent from it, that sort of thing.

As for extra losses, any inverter uses a little power itself to run its own electronics. Due to the way they are made, the larger the inverter the more power it consumes. So if you buy a 4000W behemoth "just in case" but wind up only running a couple lights off it you could wind up wasting more battery power just keeping the inverter going than the lights use! Also, you very often "get what you pay for" with inverters. The really cheap ones can tend to use a lot more power than the pricier ones. You just have to decide where your tradeoff point is.

I have several sizes of inverters. A 300W one keep the inverter power losses low when running just a couple small items, a 1500W one can run larger items if needed - provided I can hook it to a big enough 12V battery bank. The 48V solar system has a 3600W inverter, that's my one "wasteful luxury" - the vast majority of the time I'm only drawing 150-400W but it's a nice, quality inverter so its losses are relatively low. Being able to have the bulk of the house hooked up to it and get at its reserve capacity on demand is worth it.
    Hi Random Joe, I checked out the Coleman Quad Lantern. It looks great. I just wish it was rechargeable! If I get one, I'll need a block of D Cell batteries. How do you make sure you don't have old batteries?

You said: "just be careful with it! The small inverter keeps extra losses low (the extra power the inverter uses itself" What are "extra losses" and "inverter losses", and what can happen if I'm not careful?
  • BB.
    Options
    I looked at the "Emergency Power? thread you mentioned in your last post. With my pared down wish list (A light to read by (LED is fine), recharge smart phone & laptop, run a small fan and, ONLY if possible, run a 500-600watt cheap microwave) are the specs listed below what I'm looking for? I really think I need to buy something locally so that if I have trouble I can go back to the vendor. 1) Where would I go to get something like this? 2) Do you think this system would fit within my $500 price? 3)Could you fill in the gaps in my specs. I just don't understand volts and amps, AGM, flooded, resistance, etc. If I have specs, I can go to a store with my little piece of paper in hand and get them to fill my order.

All the loads you want to run are "small" -- Until you hit the Microwave. Then (like a fridge), you are in a whole larger class of off grid power system and just not really worth it/practical for apartment use.

For an oven, there are options:

Almost any other can be done with flashlight batteries... And while you can get a small to medium solar panel and recharge AA batteries (Sanyo Eneloop "pre charged" NiMH batteries can hold charge for 1 year), they are expensive and can take a full day or two of sun to recharge. A pack of 48 AA batteries will last you 10+ days if you were to use a set of 4 up every day... Usually they will last much longer than 1 day for 4 AA's of use.

Going through the recharging can be akward. If you don't have good sun or are on the move, you cannot just set the charger+panel on a table in the park/common area and walk away--The charger setup will probably "walk" too. And it will take most of the day to recharge a 4 set of batteries--You might have other things to do with your time.

A package of 48 AA alkaline batteries (good brand like Costco's or Duracell) for $15 or so will last 5+ years. If you want to be really sure--Get a new pack every 2.5 years or so, and simply use the oldest batteries first.
    Inverter: 600 Watt Sine Wave Inverter
    Battery:
    Deep cycle; (AGM or standard flooded?) 12 volts; 34 to 85 Amp-hour Concorde AGM totally sealed battery - they have very low internal resistance and cannot leak.
    Battery charger: Regulated 12volt, 15 amps?
    Cables: Kind? Length? specs?
    Misc equipment needed?

Sorry--Math... A 34 AH @ 12 volt battery will hold (very roughly):
    • 12 volts * 34 AH = 408 Watt*Hours

A 600 watt inverter used at full power, will drain such a battery in:
    • 408 Watt*Hours of storage * 1/600 Watt load = 0.408 hours = 24 minutes to dead

And note that 600 watts through an AC inverter or 500 Watts through a 12 VDC car type microwave oven--It is the same--A watt is a watt, no matter how it is generated or used.

Concorde AGM batteries are very nice... But you will have to recharge it every ~3 months or so (~1 day on a battery charger, or "float" on a charger permanently plugged into a wall outlet).

Also with any Lead Acid rechargeable battery--They do not like to be stored at less than full charge and will die if taken "dead"--They are pretty rugged--But they do have their limits if mistreated (over charging is also mistreatment).

Even though this is a "solar forum"--There are some things that solar+rechargeable batteries simply are not great for... And setting up an apartment system for a few hours to a couple of days of outages maybe once or twice every couple of years--Is difficult to justify.
    I won't get a solar panel to begin with so I would just charge the battery with my car?

You can--But the larger the storage battery, the longer you would have to idle your car to recharge the storage battery.

For example, a 4x AA battery charger could just be connected to your car and left... You don't have to run your engine to recharge. An 85 AH Concorde battery taken "near dead" connected to your car--If you did not run the engine, the recharging of the dead battery would drain your car battery by 1/2 if the engine is not running--possibly damaging your car battery or leaving you unable to start your car. It would take several hours of "idling" to 8+ hours of idling to get the Concorde mostly recharged (depending on your car and exact charging electronics setup). Still--Not very practical and can drain your tank by 1/4 or more... Not always a good idea to "waste" vehicle fuel in a true regional emergency when gas stations are shut down too.
    What is this for and do I need it?
    "Converter" (DC power supplies). These allow you to run DC equipment designed to run from a battery from AC.

A Battery, small AC inverter, smallish AC Battery charger, and some wiring, connectors, a fuse or circuit breaker, and you are about ready to go--But I am still trying to get you to forget any "large loads"... A laptop computer (~30 watts) would be the largest appliance I would suggest for your emergency power system...

Unless you have a good place to store (for example) a wagon/cart/hand truck with ~100 lbs of battery+inverter+battery charger (closet or outdoor lockup where you can roll-in the power cart). if you are not in a ground floor apartment--You may not have an elevator--And dragging 50-100lbs+ up and down stairs (storage, recharging, etc.) is not really an option unless you are really into this off grid/emergency power stuff.

For example, a 100 AH 12 volt Concorde battery could power a 30 watt laptop + 10 watts of LED lighting and small radio:
    • 100 AH * 12 volts = 1,200 Watt*Hours
    • 1,200 Watt*Hours * 0.80 = 960 Watt*Hours usable DC power (don't ever take battery "dead")
    • 960 Watt*Hours * 0.85 typical inverter efficiency = 816 WH of usable AC power
    • 816 Watt*Hours 1/(30+10 watt load) = 20.4 hours

So--If you want to use your laptop+lights+cell phone with a 100 AH battery and an AC inverter, you are looking at ~2 days of usage at 10 hours per day--Or ~3 days at ~6 hours of usage per day, etc...

Sorry, not trying at avoid answering your questions about hardware--But until you know your loads, the hardware question is not really answerable (or I can give you lists of answers which will just confuse the issues even more).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

here is reading light. Don't know if you have IKEA close by but it is good bright reading light, wife loves it but the spectrum is not my favorite..http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70196857/

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Lioness29
    Options

Thanks west branch,, The little lamp looks interesting, but it got bad reviews on Amazon...didn't charge up well.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't know technical terminology but have been researching subject for some time. In event of power failure, I want to be able to power a lamp with 75watt bulb and fan or heater (see below) for ~4 hours (maybe); run 600watt microwave, Mr. Coffee, Hair blower, occasionally; recharge computer, smartphone and maybe other small appliances. Probably can't run fridge or small freezer, but maybe buy a tiny fridge that I could use system with. I barely know what watts are but don't have a clue about Ah, volts.

I truly wish I could just buy the Xantrex Powerpack (see below) and add Solar Panels, but the cost is too great and there were some bad reviews. I've looked into buying a generator (deep cycle?), an inverter (specs?) and solar panels (specs?) but I don't have enough expertise to put a system together. I know I need some kind of surge protection (in the inverter?); which solar panel? (read about the different types) & what size; what cables and how long, a carrying case like the Xantrex has (I'm a woman and need to be able to roll it around). Want to use it inside so battery must be contained--can't leak

I even considered hooking up DIY powerpack to car battery to recharge (instead of solar panels) but research led me to believe I could run into problems & might harm car battery. So many questions!!

Have I come to the right place for help? Hoped to be able to get a complete DIY system to do what I described above (including EVERYTHING) for no more than $500. Is that possible?

Xantrex 1500 XPower Portable Powerpack
    http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-802-1500-XPower-Portable-Powerpack/dp/B00005RHQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375411191&sr=8-1&keywords=xpower+powerpack+1500

Crane EE-6490 Space Heater 600/1200 Watt
    http://www.amazon.com/Crane-EE-6490-Space-Heater-1200/dp/B0026IC2CI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375412867&sr=8-1&keywords=600watt+space+heater

Comfort Zone fan. The one from Amazon looks similar to the one I have (which says 40 watt on the back)
    http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-CZHV9B-9-Inch-Velocity/dp/B001MEK8R8/ref=pd_sbs_hg_2

Some items you mentioned like the Mr.Coffee, hair blower, heater consume watts rapidly. Using electricity to make "thermal distribution" work is the worst way to go, with the worst return in converting energy. I just literally 2 weeks ago threw my 220V clothes dryer from the second story of my condo, and converted to a gas clothes dryer instead for that reason alone.

Just to get 3412 BTU's in 1 hour, it takes 1000watts of power to make that thermal energy. So conversion from electricity to BTU is under 30% efficiency, relatively 29.8% efficient. 1watt per hour equals relatively 3.412 BTU per hour. To boil a pot of coffee in approximately 5 minutes takes roughly 200watts, cycle that into a 60 minute duration, that is 2400watts of power. Which means just for the coffee maker if you were to leave it on for 1 hour would need 5 AGM batteries @ 150Ah each (750 Ah total) just so the batteries would have a 75% Depth of discharge and stay conservative on the charge cycles "maximum number of cycles for battery life".

This number is derived as 12.4V (battery volts average for operation of inverter) multiplied 750 Ah= 9300watts of electrically stored power. However due to resistance of batteries and heat variables the faster the draw becomes that wattage becomes less, so if you consume 90% which is 10%depth of discharge within 1 hour you could loose between 15~20% of that energy from asking for a high demand from the battery, and each battery has a slightly different chemical make up so that electrical loss varies from battery manufacturers. People tell me the concorde batteries lose the least amount of power at high duty cycles. I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Just to use your Mr.Coffee and lets say you want to power an additional items such as fan and light bulb combo, then you would need a 1000watt inverter.

That 600watt microwave actually consumes roughly 1200watts, microwave ratings are weird because they are rated by the output of radiation, not what they consume under load. My micro wave is an 1100watt microwave yet needs to be on a 20 amp breaker. Easy math 120V X 20amps= 2400watts

Also that Xantrex power pack is crap, it's modified sine wave, not pure sine wave.
  • Lioness29
    Options

I know I've moved out of the "solar" discussion somewhat, and I appreciate your continued help Bill. And also thanks for helping me to see the big picture. I'll drop microwave oven from my list and consider one of the camp stove options you mentioned. I assume I need to forget about my larger fan (120V AC 60Hz 0.6 amp 40 watt) as well. I have a couple of radios that use batteries so I can leave radio off the list. I'll buy a bunch of alkaline batteries and rotate every 5 years as you suggested.

Sounds like an AGM battery is not a good idea since I would need to charge it every 3 months. Would my best choice be a standard flooded battery? Is there a disadvantage to this type battery? I want one that is safe to have in my apartment and won't leak.

So here is my newly revised list:
    Lap top for ~6 hours per day
    Cell Phone for ~1 hour per day
    10 watts of LED lighting for ~6 hours per day
    Tiny fan: 120V AC 60Hz 0.3 amp for ~8 hours per day (I have one already)

Would this be the system specs to power the above list?:
    Inverter: 600 Watt Sine Wave Inverter (Is this "small"?)
    Battery: Deep cycle; (Standard flooded) 12 volts; 100 Amp-hour Concorde totally sealed battery
    Battery charger: Regulated 12volt, 15 amps? (Is this "smallish"?)
    Some wiring, connectors, a fuse or circuit breaker

Have I left anything out? Also, if I should decide to add a solar panel to the above system, would it be feasible?
    Thanks much!
  • Lioness29
    Options

Hi RandomJoe,

I think I'll go with the alkaline batteries.
    Is an AGM battery the opposite of a flooded battery?
    Thanks for explaining about "extra losses".
  • BB.
    Options
    Sounds like an AGM battery is not a good idea since I would need to charge it every 3 months. Would my best choice be a standard flooded battery? Is there a disadvantage to this type battery? I want one that is safe to have in my apartment and won't leak.

Actually, AGMs are very nice batteries... Almost the "perfect" Lead Acid Battery.

AGM, GEL, Flooded Cell Lead Acid are all "Lead Acid" chemistry batteries that operate pretty much the same way. The difference is the "electrolyte".

A Flooded Cell L.A. battery is just a regular L.A. battery with liquid electrolyte (distilled water and some sulfuric acid). Just like your car battery (plates are heavier/thicker in the typical deep cycle battery. Car plates are thinner and more of them--Get "higher cranking current" from a smaller battery).

AGM Batteries are "Absorbed Glass Mat"--Basically, fiber glass mats between plates--Sort of like a sponge. That and some other "Minor Changes" make AGM batteries manage higher currents and very deep freezing temperatures where they will not freeze and split the case (flooded cell batteries in very cold cold (much less than 0F) can freeze and crack the cases). An AGM battery cannot "spill" electrolyte. The battery caps are also "sealed" and have a catalyst that helps recombine hydrogen and oxygen back into water ("sealed battery"). Over charging can cause the battery to "vent" acid mist/gases (also when AGMs get old and start failing, they can vent).

GEL batteries have the electrolyte "Gelled" to hold it in between plates (like AGM). Many of the same advantages as AGM -- BUT GEL batteries do not tolerate "high charging current well" (in general).

AGM (and GEL) have lower self discharge and only need to be recharged every 3 months. Flooded cell batteries need to be recharged every one month or so...

But self discharge is usually an issue for almost any type of rechargeable batteries.
    So here is my newly revised list:
    Lap top for ~6 hours per day
    Cell Phone for ~1 hour per day
    10 watts of LED lighting for ~6 hours per day
    Tiny fan: 120V AC 60Hz 0.3 amp for ~8 hours per day (I have one already)

Getting closer.... Still you need to use a Kill-a-Watt meter to measure your proposed AC loads. Leave it plugged in for 1-3 days and get your "average" daily usage.

I can "guess"--But I could be way off too... Like me guessing your car gets 20 MPG--Maybe it does, maybe it does not... I have no idea.
    Would this be the system specs to power the above list?:
    Inverter: 600 Watt Sine Wave Inverter (Is this "small"?)
    Battery: Deep cycle; (Standard flooded) 12 volts; 100 Amp-hour Concorde totally sealed battery
    Battery charger: Regulated 12volt, 15 amps? (Is this "smallish"?)
    Some wiring, connectors, a fuse or circuit breaker

You could use a 100 Watt inverter... A MorningStar 12 VDC TSW AC inverter would probably be ideal. It has a "remote on/off switch" and "search mode" (it will go to "lower power standby" if there are no AC loads). Read about it first... You could always go with smaller/other product if this is not right for you--But it is one of the "high function" AC inverters that is still very small and efficient (and not too expensive).

The 100 AH Concorde AGM battery would be best for your needs (assuming the price and ~66 lbs of lead does not scare you off)... Flooded Cell is not good in an apartment. GEL is similar to AGM--But not generally not great for solar power (takes very low charge rate).

Concorde PVX-1040T

For a good quality AC battery charger, look at this Iota + IQ4 module (I think Iota needs to supply a non-stock IQ4 for use with AGMs--You would need to call them and find out):

Iota DLS-15: 12 Volt 15 Amp Battery Charger
    Iota IQ4: plugin 4-stage controller for Iota chargers

This battery charger is only 8 amps maximum--But it is fine for use with your 100 AH 12 volt AGM battery--It will just take longer to recharge after a power outage. The only issue I found using it--If you disconnect AC power, you have to set it for your battery again (it defaults to low current GEL battery charging--not the end of the world):

BatteryMINDer Battery Charger / Maintainer with Desulphator - 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp, Model# 12248

If you want to charge the Concorde from your car--We will have to talk more.

Have I left anything out? Also, if I should decide to add a solar panel to the above system, would it be feasible?
    Thanks much!

A circuit breaker/fuse or two... Wiring. Still would suggest some sort of cart/hand truck to hold it all--Unless you set it up in a closet and run a cord to the AC charger...

The Morningstar inverter will need an outlet or sort cord+outlet wired to it--It does not have an AC outlet as part of its design.

Yes, you can add solar panels later... ~170 watts would be a good "nominal" panel for your 100 AH battery--Again, lots of discussions about panels and solar charge controller options.

-Bill
  • SolarPowered
    Options

Not to knock on Morning Star its a good inverter. However the biggest bang for your buck for the price is the SunForce 1000watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, with Volt/KVA metering, for $185. Sunforce has made a name and has a quality control unlike Wagan, or other chinese counter parts.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11240-Inverter-Remote-Control/dp/B000WGNNUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376403658&sr=8-1&keywords=SunForce+1000watt
  • BB.
    Options

Did you get to measure the idle current on it?

I do like the Morningstar as a smaller inverter (1,000 watts is a lot of power and requires a lot of battery bank to run it). Also the Morningstar has "search mode"--But the MorningStar and the Sunforce appear to have remote on/off inputs (Sunforce comes with a key fob+receiver for remote on/off).

I like that the MorningStar does not have a fan--pulling dust through electronics is not great).

-Bill
  • SolarPowered
    Options

I don't have the inline shunt in place yet between battery and inverter to determine accuracy of amp draw at idle. However I only have 13" of 4AWG conductor from the battery to inverter.
    At idle it requires a 2 amp draw according to manual specifications, which I believe is common for most 1000watt inverters, that use capacitors with leakage, and a fan to cool the inverter. I believe Ramsond, wagan, and power bright are using the same Chinese inverter board that the SunForce uses. It seems to be the popular inverter board of choice.
  • BB.
    Options

24 watts is not great for a smaller system--But probably in the ball park for that size/class of TSW inverter.

-Bill
  • SolarPowered
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    24 watts is not great for a smaller system--But probably in the ball park for that size/class of TSW inverter.

-Bill
    I know that's why I had to go with a 125Ah battery for my generator set up, VS a 100Ah battery. Just made more sense that way.
    How ever if the user knows to shut down after each use it shouldn't be a problem.
    My set up is constantly charging either via 120watt panels or at night for storage with a 7amp 3stage wall charger. So my thought was, what's 2 amps to me.
  • BB.
    Options

Conversion/standby losses are the bane of any system... And they can add up.

24 watts * 24 hours * 365 * 1/1,000 W per kW * $0.20 per kWH = $42 worth of utility power cost for me

My average monthly electric bill (before I got solar GT) was in the range of $30-$60 per month--So that would have been significant for me (~210 kWH per year or 1/2 of the yearly cost of an Energy Star rated 20+ cuft refrigerator).

-Bill
  • WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options

If you don't need the phone charger part, the Solo Stove, is a nice lightweight rocket stove that's quite a bit cheaper than the Biolite.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • Lioness29
    Options

I added up the cost on the items listed below and the price is way over my budget of TOTAL $500.00. The $687.69 doesn't include the cost of wiring, connector, fuse or circuit breaker and any other incidentals (not to mention a solar panel later on). The sad part is that this setup would only power my laptop, cell phone, 1 LED light and 1 tiny fan. That's a lot to invest for such a little return. Thanks for all of the help Bill. I've learned a lot on the forum and maybe I can consider this for the future.

Inverter:300 Watt 12 VDC Pure Sine Wave $232.70
    Battery: Deep cycle; (Standard flooded) 12 volts; 100 Amp-hour Concorde AGM totally sealed battery $296.00
    Battery charger: BatteryMINDer/ Maintainer with Desulphator - Regulated 12 Volt 2/4/8 Amp, Model $143.99
    Iota IQ4: plugin 4-stage controller for Iota chargers $ 15.00
    Sub-Total $687.69
    Some wiring, connectors, a fuse or circuit breaker still needed
  • Lioness29
    Options

Thanks WillBkool,

The Solo Stove looks a lot like a Hobo Stove I made from a large can. I'm sure it's not as efficient as the Solo though. I found the instructions online a few months ago and it was easy to make. I thought it would be good for camping or in case the power was off for a few days.
  • WillBkool
    WillBkool Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Options

My prepper group is going to make hobo stoves, but I think the solo Stove is really nice for carrying. I have a DIY emergency solar system I'm working on myself, of course, I was lucky to get 6 free heavy duty batteries. My bank account doesn't think I'm so 'lucky' though.
    1220 Watts, 4 Evergreen 120 watt, 1 Eoplly 190 watt; 1 Sungold 200 watt; 2 175 Watt; M-Star 15A MPPT; C40 PWM; 6 105 AH AGM Configured to 315@24V
    Cotek 1500 watt/24v
  • BB.
    Options

The components you are looking at are pretty rugged devices... You certainly can do less and save some money:

Universal Battery 100 Amp-hours AGM Sealed Battery (~$185).
    Samlex 150 Watt 12 Volt Sine Wave Inverter ($120)
    Iota DLS-15: 12 Volt 15 Amp Battery Charger (if you drop the IQ4 and manually set high charge rate after an outage--Save $15) ($95)

At least one circuit breaker so you can turn on/off the AC inverter (you can build this from Home Depot stuff too)

Midnite Solar Baby Box Enclosure for 1-4 Din Rail Breakers ($30)
    20 Amp DC Breaker ($11) (one or two--One for Inverter, second for Iota charger)

You can probably meet your ~$500 limit with the above system and power the loads you are looking at (150 watt maximum)...

If you hunt around, you might find some of this used on EBay (Craig's List does not allow sale of batteries--as I recall).

You could go with a MSW inverter--But I would suggest a TSW is usually worth the money if you are powering electronics. If powering hand tools (drills, saws, etc.), then MSW are OK at times (and certainly a lot cheaper).

Just put the Iota on "low" (float charging--there is a little jumper--In is 14.2 volts absorb charging, out is 13.6 volts for float) and keep it plugged in--The battery will be kept full charged. I have even used a lamp timer on batteries "in storage/float" and set it to turn on for 1-2 hours or so per day--Saves energy and sometimes saves wear on the batteries.

If you keep your power needs low(er), you can save lots of money with a smaller system. And you will have to remember to turn the inverter off when you are not using AC power. It will use about 0.6 amps (0.6*12 volts=7.2 watts) when turned on and no load--So, for very small loads, you might want to use 12 volt "native" loads (LED lighting, 12 VDC car adapter for charging a cell phone, etc.)--The idle current can actually be more than your smaller loads if you use the AC inverter to power them.

-Bill
  • mtdoc
    mtdoc Solar Expert Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options

For a high quality TSW inverter that would suit your purpose and save you some money, have a look at this Xantres Prowatt 600 watt inverter for only $163.50!
  • SolarPowered
    Options

Heres my setup in a nut shell, minus shunts and the battery monitor, and a few other goodies.

125Ah VMAX tanks 269.99. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DR3IIC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    1000watt Sunforce Pure Sine Wave Inverter 184.78 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WGNNUQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    4AWG 1600watt stereo amplifier kit 27.47 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q6DLTK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    SunForce 10 amp digital controller 33.43 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZONCW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    MC4 T branch for parallel connection 12.66 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKIPWMQ/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    6' MC4 connectors 7.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JHQK00/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    NOCO genius Battery Charger 57.05 http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B004LWVEKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376448115&sr=8-1&keywords=noco+charger
    Solar panels off ebay Sun Solar USA 60watt panels (2) 174.00 total free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/151043085810?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
    Nice work box to put it all in 59.99

My basic setup without shunts, withoout meters, without DC adapter, without USB ports, and without racking costs $823.37

This is what the basics look like in the box incomplete, but the work box works and its rugged, makes it easy to tote a heavy 66LB to 80LB battery.

Attachment not found.
  • Electrist
    Electrist Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options

Sorry, my reply is not relevant to your answer, but I just believe there is error in your personal equipment setup evaluation: your 6-105AH batteries give 630AH, and not 315AH as you have mentioned, regardless of 12v or 24v configuration.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Electrist wrote: »
    Sorry, my reply is not relevant to your answer, but I just believe there is error in your personal equipment setup evaluation: your 6-105AH batteries give 630AH, and not 315AH as you have mentioned, regardless of 12v or 24v configuration.

Welcome to the forum.

Ah, no: six 105 Amp hour 12 Volt batteries in parallel would be 630 Amp hours. To get 24 Volts you must put two in series, which adds only Voltage not Amp hours. So you would have three parallel strings of two in series for 315 Amp hours @ 24 Volts.

It's the same Watt hours (630 * 12 = 7560 or 315 * 24 = 7560).

Not sure which poster configuration you're referring to; academic to the math.