Why do they not make a Kil-A-Watt meter for 220vac-230vac service?

ILFE
ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭
During my years of alternative power research, I have (often) come upon a thread here or there, where someone advised the original poster to purchase a Kil-A-Watt meter, to check Kilowatt hour usage, or to make use of other functions on the popular little tool.

Unfortunately, this tool seems to be only available for 120vac. So, I have a question here.

Why do they not make one of these for the foreign market, like here in Asia where mains service is 220vac? I feel they would sell like hotcakes, personally.

This is the unit in question: Kill-A-Watt AC Power Monitor
Paul

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Why do they not make a Kil-A-Watt meter for 220vac-230vac service?

They to make UK versions of the Kill-a-Watt:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Power-and-Energy-Monitor/dp/B000Q7PJGW

And there are other brands that are similar to the Kill-a-Watts now--Amazon has at least one other plug in meter for UK (don't know about other countries).

In the olden days, I would get a used utility power meter and socket--then wire up to an extension cord (still have a unit in my shed from 40+ years ago that has a 120 VAC single phase mechanical digital utility meter in it).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

GO do a google search for "Watt Checker Plus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_A_Watt
    The Kill A Watt is an electricity usage monitor marketed by P3 International. It features a large LCD display and it enables cost forecasting.[1] It measures the energy used by individual appliances plugged into the meter, as opposed to in-home energy use displays, which display the energy used by an entire household. The name is a play on the word kilowatt.

Having a NEMA 5-15 plug and receptacle, and rated for 120 VAC, the Kill A Watt is sold for the North American market. The manufacturer is the Taiwanese company Prodigit,[2] which also makes models suited for 240 V with European Schuko, U.K. BS 1363 and Australian AS 3112 receptacles as well as a model compatible with 100 VAC for the Japanese market (2022-04,[3] marketed there as the Watt Checker [ワットチェッカー] Plus by other companies).
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    ILFE wrote: »
    Why do they not make one of these for the foreign market, like here in Asia where mains service is 220vac? I feel they would sell like hotcakes, personally.

There are many energy monitors available for 230V, if they're not in your local electrical market, then Bangkok would be the closest place to find them. In europe, some popular brands are The Owl, and Current Cost meters.
  • ILFE
    ILFE Solar Expert Posts: 364 ✭✭

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate the input, very much.
    Paul
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Mabe they dont sell like hot cakes in some countries. In Australia about 6 to 8 yrs ago a well known electronics parts supplier imported many a large supply. mabe 1000 I think wasthe number someone told me of them but 6 months later was selling them at 1/3 the orig price. and they still have them on sale at that price if i remember.
    Im in Philippines a lot and population is about 90 million, but if you think you could make money selling them here.. you wont . mabe you will sell 10 in first year in whole country.