Diamond White Volt has arrived, first impressions.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Diamond White Volt has arrived, first impressions.

nice they are doing it for your area. do you believe that that many people have or will have evs there to warrant the special treatment? btw, there's no such thing as obama $ as it is our tax $ and i'd love to comment further on this, but it will go beyond the scope of the thread and the forum so my fingers are tied.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    nice they are doing it for your area. do you believe that that many people have or will have evs there to warrant the special treatment? btw, there's no such thing as obama $ as it is our tax $ and i'd love to comment further on this, but it will go beyond the scope of the thread and the forum so my fingers are tied.

Yes Neil it looks like it will be quite popular in AZ, I think there are about 20 Volts in AZ already purchased out of state like mine.

PS Obama Money was my way of not getting too political. But if you are putting in stimulus I guess that is as good a place.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    solar_dave wrote: »
    Ohio is a long ways from PHX ;)

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2011/01/22/20110122phoenix-electric-vehicles-installation-charging-stations-begins.html#ixzz1TEbDkkTo <-- Obama money! ;)

So far the Volt now has about 1821 electric miles on it. We have use 0.1 gallons of gasoline since the purchase. So far this month we have used 217 kWh of electric but we expect that is a larger than normal month because all the running with the grand kids.(school starts in about 2 1/2 weeks :D) Usually charges are taking about 120-180 minutes depending on how depleted the battery is using the 3.3Kw 240 volt charger in the garage. The garage is now pre-wired for a second charger.

The car is 100% trouble free so far, no dealer visits required. Only maintenance done was to air up the tires to 40 psi.

In talks with the dealer to purchase a second Crystal Red with light leather interior one for Me! Hence the second charger wiring.
    Dave, Glad you like the Volt. If I was still working I probably would buy one. I am retired now and can,t afford it now. Mostly worryed now about how much the politicians are going to try and steal from the senior citizens like me. We paid in all our working lives:grr and now they expect to pay the Gov Debt with our ss.:grr
    solarvic
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    So far the Volt now has about 1821 electric miles on it. We have use 0.1 gallons of gasoline since the purchase. So far this month we have used 217 kWh of electric but we expect that is a larger than normal month because all the running with the grand kids.
    Are you sure only 0.1 gallons? Because that would indicate that you are basically travelling 8+ miles per kWh which is at least 2x what I would expect (single charge ~40 miles for 12 kWh = 3.3 miles / kWh).
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Dave, Glad you like the Volt. If I was still working I probably would buy one. I am retired now and can,t afford it now. Mostly worryed now about how much the politicians are going to try and steal from the senior citizens like me. We paid in all our working lives:grr and now they expect to pay the Gov Debt with our ss.:grr
    solarvic

[don't need to go there--Bill:roll:] :p

It was a joke and nowhere near as "political" as the post I quoted, IMO.
  • solar_dave
    drees wrote: »
    Are you sure only 0.1 gallons? Because that would indicate that you are basically travelling 8+ miles per kWh which is at least 2x what I would expect (single charge ~40 miles for 12 kWh = 3.3 miles / kWh).

The 1821 is over 2+ months the usage is over this month to date.
  • solar_dave
    solarvic

Yeah I am trying to get setup before I do the retire thing. Lower my costs as much as I can so I can stay in the wonderful paid for house.
  • drees
    The 1821 is over 2+ months the usage is over this month to date.
    Got it - didn't realize you were talking about different time frames.
  • solar_dave
    Got it - didn't realize you were talking about different time frames.

yeah I didn't have the TED hooked up until the beginning of the month after the 240 volt charger was installed. Now TED is max with 4 CT/MTU installed. 3 Load, house, building, garage charger sub-panel, and the solar.
  • solar_dave

Crystal red, light tan premium leather interior, polished wheels, VOLT ordered. More driving for free with nil carbon foot print.

Caddy gas hog gone got fair price out of it.
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

So that's 2 Volts now???
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • solar_dave
    techntrek wrote: »
    So that's 2 Volts now???

Yep a pair, so impressed with driving 2000 miles on one tenth of a gallon had to have one too. Work is talking about adding a few level 2 chargers run off solar. Got some good cash out of the caddy so why not.

Personally I think the car is a break thru and a game changer.
  • drees
    Yep a pair, so impressed with driving 2000 miles on one tenth of a gallon had to have one too. Work is talking about adding a few level 2 chargers run off solar. Got some good cash out of the caddy so why not.

If you were able to travel 2000 miles on only 0.1 gallons of gas - doesn't that mean that you don't really need a range extender at all?

Just playing devil's advocate as a LEAF owner with 1600 miles on zero gallons of gas. ;)

Happy to see you ditching the gas guzzler - wish that more people were doing so. Don't see nearly enough of them on the road yet - of course I think that limited production is still the biggest issue.
  • solar_dave
    If you were able to travel 2000 miles on only 0.1 gallons of gas - doesn't that mean that you don't really need a range extender at all?

Just playing devil's advocate as a LEAF owner with 1600 miles on zero gallons of gas. ;)

Happy to see you ditching the gas guzzler - wish that more people were doing so. Don't see nearly enough of them on the road yet - of course I think that limited production is still the biggest issue.

That tenth of a gallon would have been a tow truck. Mama does not drive longer distances but I certainly will.
    BTW to each his own and congrats on a LEAF.
    PS the volt is so much better a car in general than a Leaf. Quality fit and finish and driving quality matter. IMHO
  • drees
    That tenth of a gallon would have been a tow truck.
    Huh? 40 miles on the Volt in EV - 0.1 gallons at 40 mpg gets you 4 miles. 44 miles could be done at 85 mph with the AC blasting in AZ without running out.
  • solar_dave
    Huh? 40 miles on the Volt in EV - 0.1 gallons at 40 mpg gets you 4 miles. 44 miles could be done at 85 mph with the AC blasting in AZ without running out.

This is optimistic for a leaf from what I read. Just saying a dead battery at any milage is a tow truck with a pure EV. I can drive the volt to LA if I like.
  • techntrek

Completely agree, which is evidenced by all the other companies that now have electrics. Like the LEAF. :D

I've been a Volt groupie since it was announced, although for the price I think the next generation Prius will be my next commuter...
  • drees
    This is optimistic for a leaf from what I read. Just saying a dead battery at any milage is a tow truck with a pure EV. I can drive the volt to LA if I like.
    Not sure what you're reading, because I know of many people in AZ driving much farther on a daily basis. Sure you can drive the Volt to LA if you like - but in 2000 miles of driving you've already shown that you don't. And with 2 cars in the garage - you're paying a premium to have the capability to have 2 cars which can travel to LA on a moments notice - when you really only need one if you can do a minimal amount of planning.

Keep track of how far you drive each Volt on a daily basis - and how much gas you use each day. If you use more than 1 gallon in each on a single day (70+ miles) then you may actually "need" two Volts.

The $5k you can save on a LEAF vs a Volt will pay for a lot of solar power in AZ!
  • solar_dave
    Not sure what you're reading, because I know of many people in AZ driving much farther on a daily basis. Sure you can drive the Volt to LA if you like - but in 2000 miles of driving you've already shown that you don't. And with 2 cars in the garage - you're paying a premium to have the capability to have 2 cars which can travel to LA on a moments notice - when you really only need one if you can do a minimal amount of planning.

Keep track of how far you drive each Volt on a daily basis - and how much gas you use each day. If you use more than 1 gallon in each on a single day (70+ miles) then you may actually "need" two Volts.

The $5k you can save on a LEAF vs a Volt will pay for a lot of solar power in AZ!

Using no gas unless needed is a secondary goal along with solar charging. It is not always about the money, the happy wife greenie comes into play as always. Having no range anxiety is also way important. If I want to run to Flagstaff or Tuscon I can, I do not need another car to make that happen.. You feel a Leaf gives you what you need, I feel a Volt does it for us. I liked the Volt better, it is a bit more premium interior, paint and trim, I am willing to pay for that. I think it drives better than even larger Nissan products, like a Maxima. GM keeps my Michigan buddies working, I will patronize them.

I need two because my schedule never fits the wife's schedule. PS my insurance bill will go down about $75 a month.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭

Two cars I've had my eye on will be released next month, both with the diesel-electric drive trains:

The Peugeot 508
    http://www.peugeot.com/en/news/2011/7/11/new-peugeot-508-rxh--full-hybrid-diesel-electric-and-distinctive-allure-peugeot-keeps-on-going-upmarket.aspx

And the Volvo C60
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oK-3SRPic&feature=player_embedded

Both use diesel for the front wheels and electric for the back, and support an all electric mode, all diesel mode, or 4 wheel drive. Only the volvo has a plug in option though.
    The Volvo's specs are quite impressive:
    - 215hp diesel + 70hp electric motors
    - Up to 30 miles on pure electric
    - Range on a single tank: 746 miles
    - 124 mpg
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    The Volvo's specs are quite impressive:
    - 215hp diesel + 70hp electric motors
    - Up to 30 miles on pure electric
    - Range on a single tank: 746 miles
    - 124 mpg

Here is my experience with my 2006 Prius PHEV with Hymotion 5kw kit:
    -Around 20 miles on pure electric (less than 30 mph, could go up to 52 mph with modification to the Prius)
    -Range on a single tank: 1350 miles
    -150 mpg

Unfortunately, at the moment, electric cars such as the Volt and Leaf are only able to be purchased by those who are in the correct tax brackets, due to the nature of the $7500 tax credit. I couldn't purchase one at the moment because of the tax credits I still have from the solar rebate, not that I'm complaining.:D Also, by the time you're finished, I think you could have bought a new Prius, had it converted for $12,000 by Plug In Conversions Corporation to really get the ultimate PHEV Prius, and still come out at least equal to a Volt.
  • techntrek

That Volvo will make a great tow vehicle - all the torque of a diesel AND electric motors.
  • solarvic
    Here is my experience with my 2006 Prius PHEV with Hymotion 5kw kit:
    -Around 20 miles on pure electric (less than 30 mph, could go up to 52 mph with modification to the Prius)
    -Range on a single tank: 1350 miles
    -150 mpg

Unfortunately, at the moment, electric cars such as the Volt and Leaf are only able to be purchased by those who are in the correct tax brackets, due to the nature of the $7500 tax credit. I couldn't purchase one at the moment because of the tax credits I still have from the solar rebate, not that I'm complaining.:D Also, by the time you're finished, I think you could have bought a new Prius, had it converted for $12,000 by Plug In Conversions Corporation to really get the ultimate PHEV Prius, and still come out at least equal to a Volt.

If you only travel 30 MPH where I live you would be passed by an Amish man driving a tractor hauling manure!! My brother had one of those pruis and when the battery went bad they wanted $4.000.00 for a replacement. He ended up trading it on a used Camray and vowed to never have another one. Yhe salesman that sold me my new Chevy told me He had a lady customer trade her pruis on a used corolla. She said her prius didn,t get around very well in the winter and rode like a truck because of the weight of the battery. I also like the Volt and appreciate the fact that Americans are building them giving Americans jobs and it is the best looking car in the bunch. If I hadn,t already bougt a new car I probably would have put in an order for one.. :Dsolarvic
  • sub3marathonman
    sub3marathonman Solar Expert Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    If you only travel 30 MPH where I live you would be passed by an Amish man driving a tractor hauling manure!! My brother had one of those pruis and when the battery went bad they wanted $4.000.00 for a replacement. He ended up trading it on a used Camray and vowed to never have another one. Yhe salesman that sold me my new Chevy told me He had a lady customer trade her pruis on a used corolla. She said her prius didn,t get around very well in the winter and rode like a truck because of the weight of the battery. I also like the Volt and appreciate the fact that Americans are building them giving Americans jobs and it is the best looking car in the bunch. If I hadn,t already bougt a new car I probably would have put in an order for one.. :Dsolarvic

Ummm, I really didn't say you could only travel 30 mph, I said for all electric you had to go 30 mph or less. Fortunately we don't have any Amish men driving tractors hauling manure around here, so there are times I'm able to go at a leisurely pace. Above 30 mph, the battery assists the engine, and you'll get around 120 mpg driving that way. As far as a $4000 battery, your brother must have had one of the less than 1% of Prius that had a battery go bad. But maybe he had a Generation 1 Prius, which were much different than the Gen 2 and now Gen 3. But no matter, it is easily possible to get the battery replaced for about $1,000, about the same as transmission work on a typical car with 150,000 miles or so. Now I've heard it is definitely true that a Prius on original junky Goodyear tires that Toyota used would be terrible in the winter. Many of those owners have a set of snow tires they put on for the winter. I don't have that worry here in Florida.

I too thought the Volt would be good. It probably is the best looking car in the bunch. But I think it is missing the mark because of an engine that needs premium, and a price that is too high. I think they got the all electric range about right in the battery/price trade-off.

I too used to feel strongly about buying an American car, but there was an issue of reliability and quality in my opinion. And, of course, at the time (2004, 2005, and 2006), there was no American auto company willing to sell such a car. They had already crushed their EVs. Thus, it is highly doubtful that I will ever buy a GM car again.
  • techntrek
    Now I've heard it is definitely true that a Prius on original junky Goodyear tires that Toyota used would be terrible in the winter.

True, the stock tires sucked. I replaced mine with high-end all-seasons. Dropped my mpg by 2-3 but its much more sure on gravel, snow and rain. Worth the trade-off.
  • solarvic

I have heard lots of complaints about traction in winter with the stock tires on many vehickles including mine. I bought a Chevy HHR in late winter and got stuck twice in my own driveway. It has Mexican Firestone tires. Will probably have to get different tires for winter. My old Geo Prizm goes everywhere with the Dunlaps I got on it. I know a person with a late model Malibu and a couple of friends with PT Cruisers that complain about low traction. Anyone have any favorite tires they like for winter driving in deep snow and icy conditions? Mo Joling about the Amish. Maybe you are lucky that you don,t live by them. They have lots of accidents on the roads getting hit by cars and trucks. There are a few retired folk that make a few bucks hauling them here to there. They call the non Amish ENGLISH. :Dsolarvic:D
  • TheBackRoads
    TheBackRoads Solar Expert Posts: 274 ✭✭

HEHE I think its funny hearing you guys talk about driving in snow :D;) Ya'll just need Hemi Jeeps with snow tires! :p Pictures attached:-)

Anyway, back on topic, I'd love a Volt... Wish I could afford one!:D
  • techntrek
    Anyone have any favorite tires they like for winter driving in deep snow and icy conditions?

This is what I have on my Prius and my Caprice. The Caprice has a completely modified suspension including thick anti-roll bars and corners on rails with these tires. They are rated very high on dry, snow and ice conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred
  • solar_dave

I suspect the low rolling resistance tires are probably pretty lousy on traction, glad I don't have to deal with the ice and snow.

The Volt just crossed 2K miles and 0.1 gallons of gasoline used. :p The second volt (Crystal Red Tintcoat, loaded) is ordered and is just waiting on a dealer allocation the first of the month, considering a vanity plate for it "OPEC FO". The wife wants "SUNRYDER" on the Diamond White.
  • solarvic

Dave! Why not have a contest, NAME MY VOLT My local Chevy dealer told me they get a volt soon but won,t be able to sell it for 6 months. I guess it is for show purposes, test drives and to take orders from. :Dsolarvic:D