Difference tristar mppt 45a vs 60a?

animatt
animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
Out of curiosity I was wondering what the differences between the two products were. I know internet access and other accessibility features on the 60a.

But more wondering about physical difference. Was wondering do they use the same heatsink? If so I would imagine derating would be less on a 45a vs a 60a both at full loads.

Is it just software limiting the 45a.

Picked up a new 45a model and was just curious about these things. It came to me economically probably cheaper to build most of the controller the same, heat sink and most components interchangeable.

The price premium just for few small components added to the board and some software limits increased(45a--->60a)

Matthew

Comments

• rgk1
    rgk1 Solar Expert Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Re: Difference tristar mppt 45a vs 60a?

I have both. The older 60a model is now kept as a spare. There is very, very little difference in the heatsinks on the two I have. The 60a I think dates to '09 and the 45a I got new a few months ago. Everything mounted perfectly in the swap. If I recall correctly the top to bottom height was the same and either slightly different shape and/or shorter fins front to back. Now, I just happen notice the smallest of details about things and there was something different about them. Had to put them side by side on the table and really look close to see what it was.

Unless there are internal components you can't see that make for the higher amp rating, then I am with you. Think it's the software.
    4-Risen 320 watt in series/parallel, 8-215ah 6 volt GC2 batteries in series, Exeltech 1100 watt/48 volt inverter, Tristar 45 MPPT controller.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

not just software as there would be more mosfets in the 60a cc than the 45a cc. the 60a cc would be called upon to dissipate more heat than the 45a cc.
  • animatt

really was curious if heat sink was the same or not at 60a vs 45a is fairly significant, although I only see one weight value on documentation so was thinking it was pretty much the same.

Just watched web seminar for the tristar mppt onn morningstar sight. From I think 2009 or 2010.

Appears that the 60a version has 3 - 20a converters. They can be turned off so at low load a single one would be working with the others turned off. This provided an efficiency boost for larger convert on smaller system.

Video states the 45a version has 2 -22.5a converters.

I am not sure if the 60a has an extra processing chip for ethernet communication or not. In the presentation it is not entirely clear what is included in just the 60a and what is in both the units. But a slide states that 2 processor chips. One does most of the work. And the other was labeled as Ethernet and communication. While 45a has basic communication not sure which chip does that function.

That is all I have found for now.

Still just curious about heat sink size.

3200 watts at 98% efficiency would produce 64 watts of heat (60a version)
    2400 watts at 98% efficiency would produce 48 watts of heat (45a)

If I find out more I will update this area in case someone else is curious about it.
    If I remember correctly solar guppy may have done some work with the controllers and he probably knows a fair amount. Not sure how active solar guppy is on this site. as it has been a long time since I was an active reader here.
    Matthew
  • niel

solar guppy is not as active when it comes to solar any more and he has also moved in the last year or so. i think he popped in here briefly, but that was it.

the heatsink, i'm quite sure was so over sized that a few more mosfets didn't do that much to it. the real problem is that if the sink gets confined without any air movement that a fully loaded cc would build up heat and it's not inconceivable to exceed its limit thus damaging it.
  • animatt

Seems he was last on this forum(atleast signed in) in late Jan.

Related to this thread he still seems to be involved with morningstar.

http://sgtechnology.dyndns.org/forum/sc-view-morningstar-tristar-mppt-pc-monitoring-software-t879.html

matthew
  • niel

maybe he will come across the thread again soon and possibly address your concerns from his expert point of view.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    animatt wrote: »

Just watched web seminar for the tristar mppt onn morningstar sight. From I think 2009 or 2010.

Appears that the 60a version has 3 - 20a converters. They can be turned off so at low load a single one would be working with the others turned off. This provided an efficiency boost for larger convert on smaller system.

Video states the 45a version has 2 -22.5a converters.

Saw that same video a year or so ago and remember the points you mentioned re 2 / 3 converters.
    My TS-MPPT-60 is mounted vertically in open air and I've never seen the heat sink do more than get the chill off it. An extremely robust design in my opinion.
    The MX-60 on the other hand, which is also an awesome and obviously robust CC as long as the fan doesn't fail, belches heat when heavily loaded.
    The TS, because it silently hangs on the wall like a mounted rock while still doing it's thing, can give the impression of being more reliable, compared to the obviously hard working MX.