large off grid system

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
hi i need some professional advice,i have been into solar for a short time now and is experiencing the benefits.A friend of mine has catch on on the idea too and wants solar ,however he would require a system that requires both 120v and 220v and about 20k power. All of this needs to be off grid stand alone.Any one with ideas of any place like NAWS that does this kind of stuff and have all the equipment.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: large off grid system

Got lots of money, does he? Lots and lots of money? :D

240/120 is not difficult at all, as many inverters support this right out of the box and there are options for using transformers if the 240 load is light and occasional.

But by 20k do you mean either 20 kW hours per day (which is a lot of power and the right way to look at an off-grid system) or a 20 kW array or 20 kW maximum load?

Either way it would be expensive.
    NAWS certainly sells equipment that can handle those secs, but they do not do installations.
    I couldn't hazard a guess at the per Watt installed cost in Guyana. Probably even more than Canada! :p
  • mahendra

that would be 20kw maximum load
  • mahendra

i know the cost is high but long term pay off as compared to power outages brown outs spikes etc its worth it for those who have money,and yes the guy has money but has no knowlege on solar excepting its free not considering the money spent on equipment .Also generator are becoming a sick with repair cost and fuel price spikes for this guy.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

20 kW is quite a load. Can this be divided up or does it need to be supplied as a whole? If the latter, it would require something like four XW 6048 inverters or Outback Radians. Quite a heavy power demand.

The second question would then be: how many Watt hours?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

mahendra,
    coot is right that this system would be huge. i can't picture you guys putting in that many pvs to get up to 20kw sustained and worse yet if it is sustained then the battery bank would also be out of this world large. if this is for remote mining operations then you may want to stick to the gasoline generators. a smaller pv system may work for some lighting, especially for when generators fail.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Any chance that conservation/new equipment could help (high efficiency HVAC, fridge/freezers, TV, CFL/LED Lighting, laptop computers, more efficient water pumping, etc.)?

It is possible to save upwards of 1/2 of the energy usage with conservation if it has never been attempted before. Other issues can include sizing generator to load, or even a "hybrid generator system" (battery bank + inverter handles off peak loads (nights through morning/mid day, then genset on in evening for cooking, lights, etc... The idea is to keep the generator loaded >~50-60% loading with evening loads + battery charging, then shut down for rest of time and let battery bank + AC inverters supply the smaller loads (this can save ~1/2 of the fuel costs in some applications.

Once you have the hybrid generator system setup--You can add solar panels to help sustain battery/inverter loads and reduce fuel usage further.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    Got lots of money, does he? Lots and lots of money? :D

240/120 is not difficult at all, as many inverters support this right out of the box and there are options for using transformers if the 240 load is light and occasional.

But by 20k do you mean either 20 kW hours per day (which is a lot of power and the right way to look at an off-grid system) or a 20 kW array or 20 kW maximum load?

Either way it would be expensive.
    NAWS certainly sells equipment that can handle those secs, but they do not do installations.
    I couldn't hazard a guess at the per Watt installed cost in Guyana. Probably even more than Canada! :p

I'm thinking if not anywhere near Georgetown, installation will be DIY, unless the $$$$ is really big or have friends.

Guyana grid voltage is 240V 60hz with some areas still at 50hz. You normally from 120V country and have single phase 120 / split phase 240 devices? 220/230/240 countries expect all 240V in a single hot wire, not two like in America (Split phase in a 240V country would yield 480V). Most 220-240V inverters are 50hz, which won't work in a 60hz country or 60hz devices. There are only 4 countries with 220-240V at 60 hz - Guyana, Peru, South Korea, Phillipines. You will probably need to series two single-phase 120V 60hz inverters to have things work for you. You can't use a 230V inverter because these usually run at 50hz frequency.

I think it would be awesome to have off-grid near one of the big waterfalls in Guyana. Big $$$$ oversizing PV array and battery bank (lots of rain and clouds in the jungle). And if remote, you'll want spare parts. And lots of Midnite Solar lightning arresters too. If you are big money, don't go cheap on the wiring.

Places Northern Arizona Wind & Solar got the best customer service. Affordable solar has ok customer service but only order from them if you can have access to an installer/wholesale account at-cost. NASW has competitive pricing and very good customer service.
  • YehoshuaAgapao
    YehoshuaAgapao Solar Expert Posts: 280 ✭✭
    mahendra wrote: »
    i know the cost is high but long term pay off as compared to power outages brown outs spikes etc its worth it for those who have money,and yes the guy has money but has no knowlege on solar excepting its free not considering the money spent on equipment .Also generator are becoming a sick with repair cost and fuel price spikes for this guy.

If you got grid power, but a lot of outages and irregular voltage, you probably can still go bi-modal. I have a bi-modal system ready for America to deteriorate to 3rd world nation state such as Guyana (or Guatemala or Ecuador, etc..) with corrupt government, poor construction and maintenance of infrastructure, run-amok money printing, etc...
  • mahendra
    If you got grid power, but a lot of outages and irregular voltage, you probably can still go bi-modal. I have a bi-modal system ready for America to deteriorate to 3rd world nation state such as Guyana (or Guatemala or Ecuador, etc..) with corrupt government, poor construction and maintenance of infrastructure, run-amok money printing, etc...

this bi modal system seem like the solution
  • mahendra

tanks for all the advise guys i have seen alot of options here