Classic water heater diversion

Options
SolarMusher
SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
Hi all, I've seen this 1kw 48Vdc heating element with thermostat on another website :blush:. It could be interesting for those who would want to divert solar excess power and do not want to use AC power from inverter to heat/preheat a water heater.
I would like to use two of these elements (3,2kw PV array / 830Ah@48Vdc battery bank) to power a used electric tank ahead of my propane water heater and control them through a DC SSR on Classic controller Aux2 waste not PWM. Now, with a DC thermostat, I think it could work fine but from what I've read in other threads, I'm in doubt.
What do you think of that? Is there a problem to PWM a DC SSR on a Classic CC? This could be an inexpensive option to heat water safely from a 48Vdc battery bank.
I have also an old Tristar C60 PWM that I could use to divert directly from battery without SSR but would prefer doing it using Classing Aux2 WasteNot PWM.
Thanks for your inputs,
Erik

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Classic water heater diversion

I bought one of them to put in my Geospring waterheater. Couldn,t get any wrench on b back of element to tighten into waterheater without taking off the waterheating insulating foam. Since my insulation is is sprayed on the tank I didn,t want to ruin the insulation. So I tryed to use a flexable oilfilter wrench on the outside of the tin part that holds the thermostat. I couldn,t get element tight enough to keep it from leaking before the can ripped off. If you have a waterheater with removable fiberglass insulation you might be able to get some kind of wrench behind the element to tighten it. Thats my experience. Solarvic
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Hi Solarvic,
    Good info on the insulation problem!
    How did you connect it? Through PWM diversion controller? Or directly from battery bank?
    Erik
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am using the waste not output of the Classic and also interested in using the DC output directly. I find that lights flicker when the inverter output is used. I'm thinking that's not necessarily good for both the inverter and sensitive electronics that are down stream. Also, bypassing the inverter will keep the full capacity of the inverter available for use.

Currently, I've been using the extra to run a 1500 watt heater with fan.
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Sounds like we're on the same boat, I would prefer to keep the extra capacity of my inverter available for other loads.
    Did you try to tweak Waste not width? What were your Aux2 settings? I was thinking that AC SSR provides good results.
    Does the Classic absorb your bank easily when supplying this 1500W heater?
    Erik
  • northerner
    Options
    Sounds like we're on the same boat, I would prefer to keep the extra capacity of my inverter available for other loads.
    Did you try to tweak Waste not width? What were your Aux2 settings? I was thinking that AC SSR provide good results.
    Does the Classic absorb your bank easily when supplying this 1500W waterheater?
    Erik

It's actually a space heater that I'm using. I have the heater set at 1000 watts, as my current panel rated output is only 1400 w, but will be increasing the array soon.

The only issue am having is the degree of loading and supply affects the available power/absorb functioning, which requires a bit of tweaking to optimize. Otherwise it works fine. I only have been adjusting the volts and usually works best around -0.3. I haven't tweaked with the pulse width, yet. That is set at the default width of 1.0 V.

Using the batteries directly will also help keep the inverter running cooler, extending it's potential life span.
  • SolarMusher
    Options
    The only issue am having is the degree of loading and supply affects the available power/absorb functioning, which requires a bit of tweaking to optimize.
    That's what I'm afraid of, I think that we have to take in account real PV charging capacities. From what I've seen, with a 3.2kwhr array, I could easily expect 1000Wh to 1500Wh that could be used to heat water and hold absorb voltage. I didn't try it yet, so many questions and few answers. The more I read about diversion, the more I think that waste not PWM is the way to go. Good to hear about others experiences, good or bad!
    Thanks North,
    I bought one of them to put in my Geospring waterheater. Couldn,t get any wrench on b back of element to tighten into waterheater without taking off the waterheating insulating foam. Since my insulation is is sprayed on the tank I didn,t want to ruin the insulation. So I tryed to use a flexable oilfilter wrench on the outside of the tin part that holds the thermostat. I couldn,t get element tight enough to keep it from leaking before the can ripped off. If you have a waterheater with removable fiberglass insulation you might be able to get some kind of wrench behind the element to tighten it. Thats my experience. Solarvic
    Solarvic,
    So it seems that a simple DC thermostat and a 48V element would be a better deal ?
    On a "how to" video, I've seen a guy who was installing this element but he manually tighted it on the tank...;)
    Erik
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Depending on how old the firmware in that Classic is, and I bet it is newer for Erik, you might go (temporarily) into clipper aux 2 mode and make sure it it set
    for AC clipper rather than DC. DC clipper mode on older firmware would also make waste not and diversion PWM go too slow (around 20 Hz) and also
    make the width much wider. The newer firmware, since December 2012 I think it is, limits the DC PWM to Clipper mode only.

Also, I would tend to pick 1V width. that is around 500 Hz PWM. 5V width is around 100 Hz PWM frequency.

The DC clipper mode slows things down to help eliminate inductive kickback from the load resistors. water heating elements
    are evidently not very inductive so they ~should~ be OK either way.

boB
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Allo boB,
    Yes, all is up to date :p.
    Would you have advices to make this tank work on aux2 Waste not using DC solid state relay? I would not like to spend money in buying 48V elements, thermostat, rebuild bathroom, etc, that wouln't give a result. I have also the project to add a small air conditioning so I would like to keep capacity on the inverter. I know that I could have better result on the inverter with AC SSR but I have no other choice than try it on battery DC.
    Is there something wrong with this DC/battery setup?
    Erik
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Solarmusher. I gave up the idea on using that thermostat element for now. I couldn,t get it tight enough into the waterheater to keep it from leaking. Ripped of the can first.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,448 admin
    Options

If you use a solid state relay--Make sure it is on a big piece of aluminum plate. Heat is the enemy of anything electronics and there have been a few reports of solar state relays running pretty warm then failing.

I don't know about these devices--But many silicon devices can fail sorted... So you probably want to put a small light/LED on the heating element circuit so you can keep an eye on it (don't want a failed relay "stuck on" and killing your battery bank). You could even go farther with a detection circuit that, if the power is on for 2minutes (or whatever value makes sense to you--It kicks off an alarm of some kind). Again--keep the battery bank "happy and safe".

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
    Options

You might find this thread interesting.

http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147132.0.html

Cheers
    gww
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Thanks for the link and hints BB and gww, but Chris's thread was talking rather about AC SSR use through inverter and about DC SSR though DC from PV.
    My question would be more:
    Has someone already "experimented" water heating/preheating diversion using Classic (prefered) or Outback FM60/80 on large PV array through Dc to Dc SSR from batteries ?
    Thanks for your inputs,
    Erik
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the link and hints BB and gww, but Chris's thread was talking rather about AC SSR use through inverter and about DC SSR though DC from PV.
    My question would be more:
    Has someone already "experimented" water heating/preheating diversion using Classic (prefered) or Outback FM60/80 on large PV array through Dc to Dc SSR from batteries ?
    Thanks for your inputs,
    Erik

I remember this thread from the days of the MX-60 and on their forum a few people did get it to be relaible but not quite as safe as a 2 x 5 foot homemade flat collector, a pump, a dc timer, and thermistor.:grr
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• northerner
    Options

After all the research I've done, starting to think that the best approach is to use a big inexpensive modified sine inverter, and use that for the diversion power. That would prevent fluctuations from appearing on your main inverter, and will free it up as well. It will also help to keep your main inverter running cooler, which will potentially extend it's life. And you will avoid the problems in attempting to use DC power from the batteries. Just my 2 cents.
  • SolarMusher
    Options
    I remember this thread from the days of the MX-60 and on their forum a few people did get it to be relaible but not quite as safe as a 2 x 5 foot homemade flat collector, a pump, a dc timer, and thermistor.
    Why this :grr at the end of your post???
    I would like to use these 2/2.5kwh that I loose on each absorb (13hr pm). Your proposed set up would be fine on PV systems that just fit the needs, but it's not the same story here. I think today the Classic give more options for an accurate diversion than the MX-60 did. Do not forget that with lower PV prices, off-grid PV system can be sized larger for year round use. Just my opinion, others can think differently...
    Erik
    After all the research I've done, starting to think that the best approach is to use a big inexpensive modified sine inverter, and use that for the diversion power. That would prevent fluctuations from appearing on your main inverter, and will free it up as well. It will also help to keep your main inverter running cooler, which will potentially extend it's life. And you will avoid the problems in attempting to use DC power from the batteries. Just my 2 cents.
    North, that's exactly what I would like to avoid. I'll try it first on 48Vdc/battery power using DC SSR on Aux2 PWM and 2x 750W elements (1500W/120V).
    Thanks for your help,
    Erik
  • northerner
    Options

North, that's exactly what I would like to avoid. I'll try it first on 48Vdc/battery power using DC SSR on Aux2 PWM and 2x 750W elements (1500W/120V).
    Thanks for your help,
    Erik

Good luck with the project Erik, and let us know how it goes! I'm interested as well with the possibility of using DC for diversion power.
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Thanks North, I will post results here or on midnite forum.
    I would like to do it this spring, that's the only way to know if that works, if that doesn't work I will do it on AC as Chris did.
    Erik
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The :grr is there because thats how you will feel after putting in the time. If you do get the system to work safely without low battery issues, you probably will have luke warm water. Not bad for a single guy but a low acceptance factor from a spouse. A heat pump really is a far better use of excess or diverted energy. Good Luck
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options
    The :grr is there because thats how you will feel after putting in the time. If you do get the system to work safely without low battery issue

I don't understand how what he is proposing is going to cause low battery issues (barring the SSR breaking and getting stuck or some similar failure). The Waste Not Hi PWM function varies the signal voltage, and thereby the voltage the SSR sends to the element, in a user-adjustable way that tracks charging state. So if there's not enough power from the panels, it's off before even one amp hour is drawn out of the batteries (unless you set the voltage offset very wide).

The lukewarm water issue might be a problem if this is his only proposed source of HW and he hits a cloudy stretch. But in my experience using Waste Not Hi PWM with an AC inverter and AC SSR (which is not my only source of HW since one element is grid-connected, in my case), the "problem" has usually been in the other direction -- scalding 170 degree HW on a sunny day before the thermostat shuts the element off.
  • SolarMusher
    Options
    The is there because thats how you will feel after putting in the time. If you do get the system to work safely without low battery issues, you probably will have luke warm water. Not bad for a single guy but a low acceptance factor from a spouse. A heat pump really is a far better use of excess or diverted energy. Good Luck
    Dave, I already have a propane heater to heat water, my wife is happy with it ;), I just want to add a secondary 40GL tank in serie with the first one to save on propane. Rather than using cold water, the propane tank will fill with warm water from the electric tank. With only 2x750W element, maybe I could hope for hot water in summer.
    Please explain your heat pump.
    Thanks,
    Erik
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Hi Eric,
    Sorry, we post at the same time :D
    Did you solve your flickering issue using AC SSR on Magnum?
  • Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options

Erik,

I "solved" it by adding an inverter dedicated to the SSR/heating element (which I found for a great price in the clearance section here at NAWS, incidentally). I suspect any of the commonly-used inverters will suffer from the core saturation issue discussed in that fieldlines thread. Which is why, if your DC method can work (and I don't see why it can't), it will be a great supplemental set-up. I would go with a DC element and SSR too, except that my batteries are 220 feet from my HW tank, so it has to be high AC voltage in my case.
  • SolarMusher
    Options
    Erik,

I "solved" it by adding an inverter dedicated to the SSR/heating element (which I found for a great price in the clearance section here at NAWS, incidentally). I suspect any of the commonly-used inverters will suffer from the core saturation issue discussed in that fieldlines thread. Which is why, if your DC method can work (and I don't see why it can't), it will be a great supplemental set-up. I would go with a DC element and SSR too, except that my batteries are 220 feet from my HW tank, so it has to be high AC voltage in my case.
    Yea, I know. I'd read all of your posts and found it very interesting. I'm on Magnum too, but 4.4kw might be not enough to run HW, air conditionner and all the others appliances. Luckily, my fridge and freezer are DC... I'm sure that it will work, the harder part will be to tweak the classic waste not PWM to get the best result. I've also an old Outback VFX3648 that I could use to do it AC if too much problem on DC, but would prefer to sell it (all circuit boards are brand new) with other used Outback products.
    My batteries are 8 feet from WH, so wire size and cost is not a problem.
    Erik
  • northerner
    Options
    Eric L wrote: »
    Erik,

Would it be a good option to use the output directly from the PV panels? I know this was brought up on another site, but was just wondering if anyone has attempted that? Of course you will only benefit if your panels are running at a higher voltage than the batteries. In my case, the PV voltage (when they're really producing) is fairly constant around 90 v. Using the PV output will avoid the problem with induction currents when using battery power, which may not be so good for the Midnite CC.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northerner wrote: »
    Would it be a good option to use the output directly from the PV panels? I know this was brought up on another site, but was just wondering if anyone has attempted that? Of course you will only benefit if your panels are running at a higher voltage than the batteries. In my case, the PV voltage (when they're really producing) is fairly constant around 90 v. Using the PV output will avoid the problem with induction currents when using battery power, which may not be so good for the Midnite CC.

If you want to send all of the panel output to the heater, yes. If you match the panel output voltage to the resistance and power of the heating element. But without an MPPT controller in between the two, that match will only occur for exactly one panel output. Under other light conditions you will not be able to use all the power the panels can produce.
    Trying to pulse regulate DC requires a series pass element which can stop the DC, and that will heat up the element (usually a FET) and will cost you some efficiency. With AC you can easily regulate the power to the load using Triacs, which are easy to design with and fairly efficient.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • northerner
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    If you want to send all of the panel output to the heater, yes. If you match the panel output voltage to the resistance and power of the heating element. But without an MPPT controller in between the two, that match will only occur for exactly one panel output. Under other light conditions you will not be able to use all the power the panels can produce.
    Trying to pulse regulate DC requires a series pass element which can stop the DC, and that will heat up the element (usually a FET) and will cost you some efficiency. With AC you can easily regulate the power to the load using Triacs, which are easy to design with and fairly efficient.

Actually, what I meant by that, was using the Midnite Classic and the Aux 2 using waste not mode, and pulsing a DC SSR, and then using the PV Panel output through the SSR, to power the heater. My fault for not wording it properly, as this thread is about using the Classic water heater diversion.

Or are you implying that it won't be as efficient to pulse DC period?
  • inetdog
    Options
    Actually, what I meant by that, was using the Midnite Classic and the Aux 2 using waste not mode, and pulsing a DC SSR, and then using the PV Panel output through the SSR, to power the heater. My fault for not wording it properly, as this thread is about using the Classic water heater diversion

And there is the rub. When you try to run DC through an SCR, it is very difficult to turn it off again, since the current never goes through zero on its own! If you use a separate SCR for each rectified DC phase from a turbine, then it will indeed turn off. But if you use a full-wave three phase bridge from a turbine or use PV, then the current will be continuous once you fire the SCR.

It is theoretically possible to turn the SCR off again, but the power dissipated in the SCR during the process and the drive current required are usually not practical.
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Hello North,
    I think Chris Olson has tried it on both, AC first then DC/PV (see http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,147132.0), dgd did it also on DC/PV, see it on midnite forum (http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=727.15) and Eric did it on AC only because of the long distance between batteries and HW (on midnite forum too).
    Could you tell more about induction problem?
    Thanks
    Erik
  • northerner
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    It is theoretically possible to turn the SCR off again, but the power dissipated in the SCR during the process and the drive current required are usually not practical.

I know others are interested in using DC to power water heaters. Sounds like it's not the way to go. I was thinking of using a cheap modified sine inverter for this purpose. This would help to keep power available with the main inverter(s), and help keep them running cooler as well, potentially extending their life.
  • inetdog
    Options
    I know others are interested in using DC to power water heaters. Sounds like it's not the way to go. I was thinking of using a cheap modified sine inverter for this purpose. This would help to keep power available with the main inverter(s), and help keep them running cooler as well, potentially extending their life.

All you have to do is use a FET instead of an SCR, but the electronics to drive it get a little more complicated (pronounced expensive.)