Spare Parts?

Rngr275
Rngr275 Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭
I was reading the 24v vs 48V inverter thread and Bill said something there I hadn't thought of but probably should. What kind of spares or spare parts should an Off-Gridder keep on hand. Would my 48V system need different items from a 24 or 12v system. Curious what any of you keep on hand or think you/me/we should keep around for emergency use.

I'll start ... I currently have nothing.:D

But I all of the sudden feel vulnerable.

Comments

• Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Re: Spare Parts?

That is a great question...
    I don't have anything either except my generator which I could wire to run the cabin directly in a pinch...
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

There is a survival saying along the lines of "Two is one, and One is none..."

If you have a genset--That is your first spare. If you have two gensets (one small fuel efficient, a larger backup unit for running large electrical loads like saws and shop equipment), then you are up to two spares.

Inverter wise, you can find a lot of cheap MSW 12 volt (and even a fair number of 24 volt) AC inverters that you can keep on the shelf to keep a minimum amount of power until the main unit is repaired/replaced.

The problem with "different" spares than your base unit, you now need tools, wiring, breakers, etc. to allow you to temporarily wire up the backup unit. Or it should be permanently wired in with transfer switches so anyone (spouse, kids, guests, care taker, and easily/safely switch to backup inverter).

Also, untested spares may or may not be any good--Having it installed and easy to switch gives you a quick way to validate the backup(s) are still good.

Does everyone do this--No. I have have not fueled up my backup Honda eu2000i for a number of years--You are shaming me into fueling it up and seeing if it still works. :cry: Then having to get it up to temperature, then drain the fuel and get it back into storage... Backups are a pain (and can be an expensive pain).

In the end, you have to look at the "cost of failure". If it just cuts your weekend short--That is one thing. If you are snow bound in your home and it can affect the safety of your family--then that is another level of requirement. Amount of backup fuel, etc. too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've actually put in use my spare inverter with my new system, Feel the solar panels are multiple spares as each string runs next to the others... I usually have a spare inverter, and older charge controllers I could put back in service, even have some older panels around and I guess the ultimate spare, my cabin in still off grid and closer to work.

...But all I really try to keep on hand are fuses and a spare inverter (which I actually don't have right now..lol maybe you'll guilt me into buying the one I've been watching!) I actually wanted to buy a new one for the new system but was cut back to 16 hours a week last fall, but am back to work and mostly recovered.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Some of us have hoarded pieces left over from upgrading older systems. I've got some now ancient inverters that still work, but I've never had to use them. If I had to I could re-wire the 24 Volt bank for 12 Volts (allows for a couple of bad batteries) and use an old inverter. Likewise if the charging system fails I can burn gasoline in a gen to keep the batteries up and/or bypass the charge controller temporarily.

Likewise there's about four generators around the place which I keep in working order just in case. Haven't had to use them either. If all four of them failed I'd be running wires from the 4Runner and charging via alternator to keep things going.

Funny thing is, electronic equipment can fail sitting in a box on a shelf. Or not. Batteries of course do not keep no matter what.

So how critical the load, how long it would take to get repair/replacement of a particular component, and how much money do you want to sink into stuff you will probably never use all come into play.

I don't worry about it too much because it's an hour's drive into town and I'm fairly good with this stuff and can rig work-arounds without much difficulty. Having the vehicle quit is a bigger problem, and that has happened more than once.
  • northerner
    northerner Solar Expert Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My plan is to double up on everything! I will have 2 inverters, 2 charge controllers, 2 battery banks (that may be combined as 1 normally), between 4 and 6 strings of PV panels, and 2 generators. With the generators, I am currently using an EU 2000i for charging till I pick up a larger one that I will convert to NG and have it set up to automatically come on. At that point the EU 2000i will be my back up for the back up, and also serve as a portable unit.

Where I live temperatures can go as low as -50C so I cannot allow a furnace to go down for very long. As you know what could happen otherwise!:p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

do you have a spare furnace?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    do you have a spare furnace?

I do. The NG one backs up the wood stove. :D

Funny thing is, the gas furnace is what quit while we were away in Winter.

You just can't win.
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Funny thing is, the gas furnace is what quit while we were away in Winter.

You just can't win.

My gas furnace's motor belt failed on Sunday morning when it was -40 outside. I had to chase local HVAC guy from call to call to buy a belt from him. He gave me a really good price though.

Since then I keep a spare belt :D
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a new (but discontinued) SW 5548 Plus inverter which I keep as a spare backing up my four on line stacked 5548 Plus inverters. So far, you can still find mother boards for them but the transformers are no longer available.

I keep one spare matching solar panel in the solar mechanical room which wasn't the best move I've ever made as they now cost half what I originally paid for it.

As Bill points out the genset is your best bet. Then, there are the candles, two venerable EU2000s' and an electric blanket. . .
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers