Red neck solar lights

Leehamrick
Leehamrick Registered Users Posts: 17
The electric goes out all time around here,, Sometimes for hours sometimes for days but at least
3 times a month. I got tired of lanterns and candles so I have two 12 volt trolling batteries that I keep
charged up and some revamped lights out of a camper. I'm in the process of getting rid of the battery
charger and hooking up a solar panel.

I installed 3 way fan switches in some camper lights and installed 12 volt 120 SMD/SMT bulbs
first pull both lights come on--- second pull left light only--third pull right light only-- fourth pull "off" no lights
I have a light in every room and one has a very small smd bulb for a night light.

Red neck looking? Yes but very functional when the juice goes off.
Welcome to West Virginia

pictures015.jpg

KGrHqZqoFCTCs6MKBQl2biTIGQ60_57.jpg

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Red neck solar lights

We may have similar issues again in California next year (unreliable power). We are big fans of the "practical" solution around here.

Regarding the batteries... Next time, look at getting a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries. They are (usually) better deep cycle batteries vs the marine/trolling motor type (should last longer). Also, get a hydrometer so you can monitor the battery state of charge and see how each of the cells are doing.

And the LEDs--Keep an eye on them. LEDs need very good cooling and many of these types of lights have poor heat sinking and relatively high power going to each of the LEDs. Many of these types of lights will have visible darkening after as little as 500-1,000 hours of use (not good).

Lastly, do yo have some sort of fusing/circuit breaker sized for the wire gauge (i.e., 15 amp breaker for 14 AWG wire)? Nobody plans on short circuits, but with a lead acid battery bank--there is a lot of current of available (100's to 1,000's of amps into a dead short) and you don't want to set your home on fire if there is a failure.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset