Xantrex Prowatt 600

Options
ironbridge
ironbridge Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭
I recently installed a Trimetric 2025 in my rv and it seams to work fine. I then installed the Xantrex prowatt 600. It seams to work fine also but when I put a load on the inverter it does not show as a load in the Trimetric. The Trimetric shows other dc voltage loads but not the inverter. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex Prowatt 600

The only explanation is that the inverter has been wired to the wrong side of the Trimetric's shunt so that current flowing to it is not measured.
  • ironbridge
    Options

Well I have the negative cable from the inverter connected to the negative terminal on the battery and positive inverter cable thru an 80 amp breaker to the positive battery terminal. I then have a negative cable to the shunt with the one small wire to Trimetric. The other side of the shunt goes to a rv chassi ground. Maybe I have the wires from the trimetric switched on the shunt. I'll keep working on it. Thanks.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

All the current from (to) the negative MUST go through the shunt for it to work properly

like Batt>>> shunt>>> Inverter
    ..........................>>>> charger etc

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    ironbridge wrote: »
    Well I have the negative cable from the inverter connected to the negative terminal on the battery and positive inverter cable thru an 80 amp breaker to the positive battery terminal. I then have a negative cable to the shunt with the one small wire to Trimetric. The other side of the shunt goes to a rv chassi ground. Maybe I have the wires from the trimetric switched on the shunt. I'll keep working on it. Thanks.

That sounds like the inverter connects directly to the battery, thus bypassing the shunt.
    The only wire connecting to the battery negative should be from the shunt. Everything else goes on the other shunt terminal (except the Trimetric sense wires).
  • ironbridge
    Options

I originally had the negative inverter wire going to the shunt side that comes from the negative battery terminal. I had the same result. So...should I put the negative wire to the chassi ground side of the shunt? Thanks
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    ironbridge wrote: »
    I originally had the negative inverter wire going to the shunt side that comes from the negative battery terminal. I had the same result. So...should I put the negative wire to the chassi ground side of the shunt? Thanks

That description is the same as putting the inverter negative on the battery post.

It should be like this:

Battery (-) --- SHUNT --- everything else (loads, charge sources, chassis ground).

This is the only way the Trimetric can 'see' all the current going in or out of the battery.
  • ironbridge
    Options

Ok thanks a lot. I'll switch it tomorrow after work. Thanks for the help.