Cost of High-efficiency monocrystalline panels

lazza
lazza Solar Expert Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
HI Forum

We have some polycristalline 100W 12V panels that cost us about 80€c/Wp.

A shop nearby has bought some panels from their supplier for 80€c/Wp too that are monocrystalline 100W 12V. However, they are at least 25% smaller than our 100W panels!

Now, I know that high-efficiency monocrystalline silicon panels can get up to 18% efficiency, but surely these wouldnt be on sale at such low prices??? Furthermore they claim to be Q-cells technology, but as far as i'm aware Q-cells only make larger 24V panels. They also have no serial numbers.

Can anyone advise me on whether this is possible... or whether they shop has been conned into buying 75W panels at the price of 100W panels???

Thanks
Larry

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Cost of High-efficiency monocrystalline panels

There's really no way of knowing just from the price.
    Monocrystaline panels are smaller than polycrystaline of the same Watts.
    80 Euros is about $100 US right now I think. It does seem to be a really low price for mono panels, but sometimes we see deals of <$1 per Watt for polys so just maybe it is true.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting they don't have serial #. Kind of raises an alert with me when that happens.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

If I were making the decision, would avoid any modules that have NO serial numbers/

Many have S/N on the rear label, AND under the glass. Have you looked at the front, under the glass??
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.