Xantrex ProWatt 24v 1400 up to 2000w

Himins
Himins Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭
Xantrex ProWatt 24v 1400 up to 2000w
I've been off grid here in n.w. minnesota with murdered 12v batteries now for one year. I am moving to a 24v system and 4 @ 6v GC batteries(exide's largest)
I understand the Xantrex ProWatt 2000w has a very low parasite draw in idle mode, this is of utmost importance here in the short cloudy winter days. I can get by nicely on as low as 1400w. But only interested in a PSW.
I am not married to any particular brand and the 600w 12v GoPower psw has been fantastic but falls shy with vaccume cleaners and such.
What model 24v, 1400-2000w psw, very low idle draw, and bullet proof durablity would you buy today???

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Xantrex ProWatt 24v 1400 up to 2000w

if you can swing the cash take a look at a magnum ms2024.
    http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Data%20Sheets/Inverters/64-0200%20Rev%20I%20%28MS%20Series%20Data%20Sheet%29.pdf

this has 25w idle and if it falls below the search mode wattage it will shut it down until it shows a load potential above that and it'll kick the inverter back on. remotes are available too to enable such things like auto-generator start and tailor the built in charger parameters.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

If you want the feature of having Grid Support and all the other bells and whistles for full system and a Inverter / Charger for around $1,200 with the Mate programer. In Standby 6 watts, OutBack , GFX 1424. 1400 W continuous, 1800 W, for 30 Min, 2900 W surge.

http://www.outbackpower.com/products/sinewave_inverter/low_power/

If your unfamiliar with Generator Support, post #94 I did a test

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?18459-Demonstration-of-Generator-Support
  • Himins

BOTH are great suggestions, I like having generator support and that looks like a spendy option. I do not anticipate going back on the grid any time soon, I tend to boycotte em. I am guessing the Xantrex only is available in a 12v configuration...so that isn't where I'm going with this upgrade... I thought a 1000 dollar budget would work for the 4 GC batteries AND a modest off grid 24v inverter...Looks like this might be a tad optimistic.
  • Blackcherry04

Here a Meanwell TN-1500-124 that would work, It doesn't have much of a AC charger. The Remote is about $25 and the Inverter is around $599. It has a built in Solar Charge Controller 30 amp , It has a low stand by mode. I have one for about a year, been ok so far.

http://www.meanwell.com/search/TS-1500/TN,TS-1500-E.pdf
  • Blackcherry04
    Himins wrote: »
    BOTH are great suggestions, I like having generator support and that looks like a spendy option. I do not anticipate going back on the grid any time soon, I tend to boycotte em. I am guessing the Xantrex only is available in a 12v configuration...so that isn't where I'm going with this upgrade... I thought a 1000 dollar budget would work for the 4 GC batteries AND a modest off grid 24v inverter...Looks like this might be a tad optimistic.
    It has nothing to do with going on the Grid, it's about being able to share the generator input with loads and the charger and being able to support the loads from the inverter at the same time. It gives you options you never had before with a off-grid Inverter and doubles your power potential from the same equipment. A Grid type Inverter can phase match incoming power.

1) Initially, the AC source current is used for both loads and battery charging. In the MATE system display, the
    ac2/gen limit settings dictate the maximum AC draw. If the AC draw exceeds this setting,
    the inverter reduces its charge rate to give priority to the loads.

2) The charge rate will be reduced as much as necessary to support the loads. If the loads equal the
    amperage setting, the charge rate will be zero.

3) When the AC loads exceed the amperage setting, the charger will begin operating in reverse. The Inverter will take power
    from the batteries and use it to support the incoming AC current.
  • Himins

Well, I read the manual cover to cover. That inverter will do every thing I need it to do here, what a nice find. I'm reluctant to switch my loyalties to a china manufacture, but my budget constraints will dictate my options. The parasitic load is a bit higher than my currant inverter, but not real bad. I'll call the USA distributer on mondayish, and get a sense of product support etc, and will provide feedback as necessary. What did you do with your inverter black cherry, is it still in use?
  • Blackcherry04
    Himins wrote: »
    Well, I read the manual cover to cover. That inverter will do every thing I need it to do here, what a nice find. I'm reluctant to switch my loyalties to a china manufacture, but my budget constraints will dictate my options. The parasitic load is a bit higher than my currant inverter, but not real bad. I'll call the USA distributer on mondayish, and get a sense of product support etc, and will provide feedback as necessary. What did you do with your inverter black cherry, is it still in use?
    A assume your talking about the MeanWell. I still have it hooked into my system. It's been flawless, but I don't use it 24/7. I have a 24 v bank of batteries that I keep on standby. I usually run them down once every couple weeks or so, I have it on that system as a UPS for my main system. You'll be impressed with the quality of it.

There is a Remote that you can get for it, $29.99 it's pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/MEAN-INVERTER-REMOTE-CONTROL-PANEL/dp/B007AIR9I6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361634286&sr=8-5&keywords=meanwell+remote