Trying to setup Solar energy at office

Options
Nila
Nila Solar Expert Posts: 173 ✭✭
Hi All.

Im going to try and setup solar energy at my office after having done at my home (2kw). My office needs a bigger (much bigger ) setup.

We have about 26 computers although only 18-20 will be on at any moment.I am only trying to connect all computers and lighting loads to this Inverter.. not the Airconditioning units.

First thing is the Load calculation so i can size the inverter and battery.
The total starting/surge wattage of all the computers/lights/printer is around 7000 watts.

I will update the thread with more info about the total KWH and the daytime/night usage ,etc .
I want your views about sizing the inverter and the system voltage before going to the battery.

For this kind of load would you prefer to split it into 2 , 1. 5kw 2. 3.5kw systems? Or get one big inverter? or go into like 3 Inverters.. like 3 * 3.5 ?
bigger the inverter, the system voltage raises and I am worried about the voltages getting into dangerous territory.

I was able to safely install a 48v system myself at my home without any trouble. I do not know if the higher voltages is bad.

I am a DIY kind of guy and I do not have any special electrical training, However we do employ an electrical engineer He would be doing most of the installation . I am only helping him with the decisions!.

We are spending a LOT on the generators/electricity bills and quickly want this to end.

with 8-10 hours of nice sun in my location...and about 10-12 hours of grid failure a day what kind of spending i am looking at for this?..

I believe we need atleast of 8-10KW panels easily.

Also note: i need this setup only to restrict my generator usage and possibly remove the generator from being used daily. I m not looking onto going off-grid.

Please yell at me if Im making things unclear , English is not my first language!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Trying to setup Solar energy at office

You darn folks from India--Your English is 10x better than my (American) English--My only language. :blush:

From a system design point of view--You really need to look at conservation first. A typical laptop computer can run from ~10-30 watts (and includes its own "UPS" via the laptop battery). Whereas a typical desktop system may draw 200-300 watts (with external monitor).

At least in the US the desktop computers are being recognized as a remendous power drain on the US grid and the powers that be are starting to suggest/require new desktop systems to use much less power.

Say you are looking at 20 computers drawing 6kW of power:
    • 6,000 watts * 1/20 computers = 300 watt per computer (real rough guess)

So--If you can justify the use of lower power computers, you can possibly save upwards of 90% of your current power usage (and reduce electric fan/Air Conditioning use during hot weather--1/10th the amount of "heat" dumped into a work space).

Depending on your company's needs... You can find diskless computers (network supported via Google applications and such) for $310 each.

So, in a best case look--20 computers * 30 watts each is 600 Watts of power--You could (in theory) run them on a little Honda eu2000i for about 2 hours per liter of fuel.

In the US, a 6kW power system would probably cost on the order of $60,000 USD (plus or minus--just for sake of discussion/example). 20x $500 laptop computers would only be $10,000 USD and a hugely less expensive solar power system.

Anyway--I know that the "laptop" solution may not work for you--But I wanted an example of how I would "justify" the costs of new, energy efficient hardware, vs the cost of Solar RE (or even a smaller genset).

Next--The big problem of Watts and VA...

As you have probably seen around here, we talk about Watts and Watt*Hours of loads, but we also keep bringing up Power Factor and VA (volts*amps or "VoltAmps", kVA, etc.).

With AC power systems, the utility power is a voltage sine wave (230 VAC at 50 Hz--or whatever is used in your area). The current, ideally, should follow the Voltage Sine Wave. This is what a filament lamp or a resistive heater does.

However when you add induction motors (AC electric motors), the current does not follow the AC Voltage sine wave, it is "offset" by some number of "degrees" (for motors, it "lags" the AC Voltage). And that nice/clean power equation:
    • Power = Voltage * Current

Becomes:
    • Power = Voltage * Current * Cosine (degrees) of the current waveform

For a typical motor, the current may "lag" the voltage waveform by ~48 degrees (typical but there is a wide variation in real life). That means that the real power used by the motor is reduced by "Cosine (48 degrees)=0.67 -- And we call that 0.67 the "Power Factor" of the load.

Note that computers with non-power factor corrected power supplies may also have "bad" power factor... Possibly on the order of 0.67 too. This is because the current wave form in typically not a smooth sine wave, but a sharp "spike" of current near the peaks of the voltage sine wave. This is a very inefficient use of "current" in the AC power system.

So, while you measure the Wattage of your loads, you may need a 1/0.67 larger Inverter/wiring/generator to support these poor power factor devices--I.e.:
    • VA = Power * 1/PF = 6kW * 1/0.67 = 9.0 VA

These means that to support your 6kW computer load, you may need an AC Inverter or Genset that is >9kVA rated (you may find inverters and gensets rated with Watt=VA maximum ratings, or you may find inverter/generators with VA>Watt ratings--it just depends on the company/model).

So--The simple rules are design the AC wiring, Inverters, and Gensets based on the VA ratings of the load. And design the DC side of the Inverter (and fuel consumptoin of genset) based on the Watt/kW rating of the loads.

So--Knowing your loads is going to be critical. Many people will make the "mistake" of taking an AC Clamp Meter and measuring the Current and using the Volt Meter to measure voltage and thinking that they have:
    • Power = Volts * Amps = Watts

When they really have:
    • VA = Volts * Amps

Also, there are different types of Volt/Current meters... The "cheap meters" measure the peak voltage/current and use the sqrt(2) as a conversion from peak voltage to RMS (root mean square) for sine wave volts/amps.

The sqrt(2) is exactly correct for sine wave conversion to RMS readings (like induction motors and resistive heaters)... However, for "non linear" devices, you should be using a "True RMS" reading meter--Which actually measures multiple points on the wave forum and "integrates" the area under the curve (Root Mean Square calculations). This is important for non-PFC power supplies--Such as when you have a whole bunch of computers (data processing/call center/etc.).

Most people do not have "RMS reading watt meters" laying about--So they probably tend to Over Estimate the kWH needs of their system because they are really measuring AC Volts*Amp and getting VAH/kVAH readings.

Anyway, enough typing for the moment. Questions?

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Nila
    Options

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Thats a lot of information!.

My computers usually take about 120-150w on my watt meter , but we do have plenty of lighting and fans and we do use some laptops as well.

I did give some margin for error on the load so we went always with higher values than the actual.

Diskless computers wont do the trick for us as here we run different OS/different setups for each employee and we have all kind of technologies worked on.

We can try and increase the use of laptops but the lower initial cost will be easily offset by the repairs/cost of parts on the maintenence.

Here in India, Laptop repairs cost a fortune where as Desktop repairs are easy , at-least 10 of my staffs can do that themselves.

We can indeed reduce the loads , by taking out all the individual UPS that we have on each PC and try to get this close to like a 4,500 watt system but that is going to need some effort.

And it is possible we might scale soon to a 50 person company and would like to give some headroom to work with, I read from one of your other posts that solar setups do not scale well!.

Thanks for bringing up the Power factor stuff. , I indeed forgot about that whole damn thing.

I was reading a lot about that recently.. and we do use cheap PSUs(9$) i am like 100% they are NOT power factor corrected at all.

A good PSU would cost on the range of atleast 35-40$.. do you think its worthy of going to that? and what kind of savings we are looking at a typical 110 watt PC?

I do have a good watt meter thought which says it is true RMS!.

We do have a big Genset which is 20KVA , even with 4 Air conditionars ( 6-8 TONNES total ) we use only close to 11KV power ( as displayed on the generator ).. So I guess our usage for computers/lights must be close to 5 or bit less.

Now Assuming my Inverter size is close to 6-7 KVA total.. what would you suggest for my question of system voltages and would u split it into 2 system or just keep it one ?

P.S. I am indeed learning a lot about the RMS,Power factor stuff etc recently .
    Reason is, if you can believe it is to create a battery/solar monitoring tool based on Arduino myself.
  • BB.
    Options

I was not sure if the Laptop/low power computer (disk or diskless) would meet your needs or not. Understand the issue with costs outside of the US. It does force different choices sometimes.
    paimpozhil wrote: »
    I was reading a lot about that recently.. and we do use cheap PSUs(9$) i am like 100% they are NOT power factor corrected at all.

A good PSU would cost on the range of atleast 35-40$.. do you think its worthy of going to that? and what kind of savings we are looking at a typical 110 watt PC?

You probably can confirm the power savings with a Watt/WattHour meter by purchasing at least one PFC Power Supply to confirm how it works for you.

But, on average it would reduce your VA by 0.67/0.95=0.705 or to about 71% of the original VA value with non-PFC supply.

In theory, it would not save you any money on utility/solar/generator fuel use--But it would allow you to use smaller AC Inverters/Generator if you can reduce your VA loads by 25%.

Watt*Hour usage would be based on motherboard/firmware/CPU Speed/and various suspend mode options (i.e., do your "personal" workstations need to be on 24x7 or can they "sleep"/suspend for 16+ hours per day (and monitors suspend vs just a screen saver keeping monitors "hot" 24x7)?

If you can use the power savings of the new motherboards to reduce the off-shift use of a computer--that could (in theory) save you 2/3 of your computer related power costs.

Obviously servers, computers running automated testings programs, etc. probably cannot be turned off. But perhaps they can use less power hungry mother boards for some tasks.
    I do have a good watt meter thought which says it is true RMS!.

That is a good start--It might be helpful if you have a remote reading/logging kWH meter so you can watch the power usage during the day for the whole company, or at least a couple circuits, at a time to see if your power conservation efforts work or not (or when people start forgoing them).
    We do have a big Genset which is 20KVA , even with 4 Air conditioners ( 6-8 TONNES total ) we use only close to 11KV power ( as displayed on the generator ).. So I guess our usage for computers/lights must be close to 5 or bit less.

Air Conditioners have always been a big consumer of power--And if 1) you can reduce the waste heat in the building from computers and other equipment (per above discussions) and 2) look at the AC efficiency (perhaps talk with your A/C supplier)--They can work out an cost/benefit estimate to see if an A/C Efficiency Upgrade is worth it to you or not.

Right now, your genset is >50% loading--Which tends to be in the "fuel efficient range". And if you could (for example) cut the computer use from 5kW to 2.5 kW, that would only reduce your generator loading to ~8.5 kW... Not a huge savings in loading/fuel costs. And reducing kVA with PFC would not save any fuel costs at all... Plus running a large genset with reduced loads can cause "wet stacking" and cylinder wall glazing if too lightly loaded. Or, force you to use a smaller genset to get loading backup to the 40-60% Minimum loading typically recommended for diesel gensets (may want to research that on your side). A smaller genset could save some fuel--but would have less "head room" for growth/variable loading--But PFC on your major loads could delay your growth into the next size up genset (whole kVA vs KW issue).
    Now Assuming my Inverter size is close to 6-7 KVA total.. what would you suggest for my question of system voltages and would u split it into 2 system or just keep it one ?

That is a tough question... Personally, I like to keep the battery bank in one larger setup as it is easier to maintain optimal charging with one bank vs trying to address having several bank where one battery system has more than enough charging (from its solar array) and a second system that does not have enough for that day (more temporary electrical demand/varying demand among different systems that is difficult to balance).

But the eventual battery / AC Inverter choice may depends on the available hardware for your region. Also, we tend to talk about systems on this forum that max out around 6kW, so I (personally) do not have any information on larger systems/possibly higher voltage Solar RE systems in the US or Asia.

The "optimum" cost solution is Grid Tied Solar (solar panels + GT Inverter) -- No batteries, but no backup power either. If your generator usage is substantial (run time/fuel costs) due to near daily utility brown out situations. then solar RE with battery could still be helpful.

There are large battery backed UPS installations, that, in theory, could be used with Solar RE recharging the battery bank. But that may be more than a typical UPS Vendor is willing to support (software battery bank monitoring issues, safety, etc.).

I am sorry I don't have any better answers... It is difficult problem.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Nila
    Options

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answers.

We do not run any servers here at office we just rent them from USA If needed., all are workstations and they will be shutdown when not used (atleast 15 hours), nothing there tends to be like running 24/7 apart from security cameras which run in its own battery/inverter setup.
    "That is a good start--It might be helpful if you have a remote reading/logging kWH meter so you can watch the power usage during the day for the whole company, or at least a couple circuits, at a time to see if your power conservation efforts work or not (or when people start forgoing them)."

I think KWH meter which can remote log and one that can measure the loads of entire company will be certainly expensive and our grid company does not provide us any tool,etc.

I am planning to make one with help of Arduino/ CS 758 sensors.. it wont be accurate but even if it measures 95% accurate that would do for me, I can easily code / handle that tool.
    You probably can confirm the power savings with a Watt/WattHour meter by purchasing at least one PFC Power Supply to confirm how it works for you.

But, on average it would reduce your VA by 0.67/0.95=0.705 or to about 71% of the original VA value with non-PFC supply.

Its disappointing that It wont save any power / grid cost by going with a better PSU.
    I am buying one AFC power supply as I type and soon will be able to determine this.

20KW Genset costed us a fortune and I would want to like keep it for now
    however I believe with a battery based system as a buffer between the Grid and Grid failure.. and use Generator only for bulk charging would be much more efficient.

Genset tends to get some problems/repairs/ maintenance creating more downtime / reducing employee productivity.

The "optimum" cost solution is Grid Tied Solar (solar panels + GT Inverter) -- No batteries, but no backup power either. If your generator usage is substantial (run time/fuel costs) due to near daily utility brown out situations. then solar RE with battery could still be helpful.

There are large battery backed UPS installations, that, in theory, could be used with Solar RE recharging the battery bank. But that may be more than a typical UPS Vendor is willing to support (software battery bank monitoring issues, safety, etc.).

This is why I wanted to break it down to 2 systems.. 5KW/ 3.5KW so we dont have to worry about large UPS system..

Grid tie wont really work for us because the Grid is down 10 hours a day easily and there is no backup :(. I believe Grid tie works only when the Grid is ON.

Currently we do have a small UPS for each computer , If we move to a large UPS solution we can ditch all of them and use one Inverter/UPS for all.

Is there a big difference between Online UPS / True sine wave Off grid Inverter? and Which one would you suggest to be used for us.

Final question for the post::
    Lets say a 5KW installation requires 96 volt battery bank.. is this already high enough to hire experts ? or Can we do it like we did for 48v ourself?

UPS installers would already help with the battery bank wiring,etc . Im talking only about the solar side of stuff

Wiring panels together/bringing them to MPPT CC then to the Battery bank.
  • BB.
    Options

yea--the trade-offs becomes an expen$ive pain in real life. :cry:

You should double check how your meter bills for electricity. In the US, commercial accounts can be charged for "poor" power factor (usually, the peak kVA for for a 1 month or 1 year period). The "reservation charges" are (very roughly) about 1/2 of the electric bill. So correcting a PF from 0.67 to 0.95 can reduce a bill by (0.71 PF correction * 0.5 of bill=) ~0.355 / 36% reduction in power costs (more or less).

That also means that monitoring peak usage is important for US commercial customers. For example, monitoring the kW usage--if it gets too high for >10 minutes, then shedding some load (cutting off 1/2 the A/C for example) for a 1/2 hour can keep keep the "reservation" charge portion of the bill down (sometimes by a lot if your power peaks are very high vs average power usage).

Your choices for power sources--For example, you could size the battery bank (and inverters) to power your loads for 100% of the loads for 12 hours per day, then recharge the bank when the electricity is restored the next 12-14 hours. Model the costs of UPS/Battery Cycling/Grid Power to recharge the battery banks, vs Fuel Costs/maintenance/etc. for the Genset power instead.

Types of UPS systems... There is the MSW / PSW (TSW) (modified square/sine wave, pure/true sine wave). MSW inverters are really just square waves with with "shoulders" at 0 Volts to match Sine Wave Form a little bit better. MSW inverters can supply about 80% of the loads out there, and perhaps 10% of the loads will have early life failures (typically over heating).

Motors will draw about 20% more power because MSW (Fourier series) Inverters do not supply all of the energy at 50/60 Hz fundamental frequency... And the higher harmonics are wasted as heat in motors (hot motors, can be shorter life). Transformer (and especially small plug mounted types) can also run hot/overheat.

For electronic power supplies (non-PFC type), they use a Diode Rectifier charging a capacitor. With a square wave, the sharp rising edge can cause very high current spikes on the rectifier diodes and high voltage capacitors--causing them to run hot too.

Also, if you have any electronic timers/clocks, the sharp edges and lower peak voltage can confuse timing circuits that use AC power for timing.

In the end, I would suggest TSW/PSW over MSW for anybody that has loads they care about (i.e., filament lamps, a cheap TV, brushed motors for electric drills, mixers, etc. can work fine on MSW). MSW can also cause some devices (and even metal electrical boxes) to "buzz" because of the sharp wave fronts.

Regarding types of UPS--There are Off Line Backup (AC power goes through inverter and runs the loads, sometimes through a step controlled transformer for voltage adjustments)--These UPS systems are supposed to switch over in about 1/2 cycle to run the loads. And there are continuous converters--AC in, thru battery charger, to batteries, to AC inverter, to loads (no power fail/switch over issues). And, as always there are variations--I have seen (smaller) UPS systems that run about 10% power through the inverter and 90% power straight through from the grid--the "best of both worlds" (in theory, more efficient, few issues with switch over and undetected inverter faults).

What type of UPS system would be best for you--Don't know. I have seen the typical Rack Mounted UPS systems that had stand by inverters that would work 100% of the time in the lab under testing, but in real life, about 1-10% of the real power failures they would not switch fast enough to keep a rack mounted PC from crashing/rebooting. I could never simulate those types of failure on a work bench with typical test gear.

Do it your self vs hiring a contractor/supplier to do it...

It is a tough call. I would doubt your typical licensed electrician could do a better job than you designing and integrating the DC side of the power system. In the US, we have had a few posting here where the contractors wired up the DC side of the power system just like the AC side--Meaning that a 24 volt DC system, was wired with way too small of wire (electrical guys dide not even do the Power=Volts*Current thing where a 24 volt system draw >5x as much current as a 120 VAC system with the same watt rating).

However, that is not to say that you doing the electrical specifications and hiring a knowledgeable electrician with the tools/experience cannot make for a nice compromise and a reliable/nice looking installation (I am great at design, my actual installation skills--I recognize there are better craftsmen than I). If you find an experienced electrician who will listen to you, and work with you too--You both can learn a lot (local codes, safety requirements, experience where to purchase supplies, how to install, working with DC systems, etc.).

One thing that us "civilians" don't really get to experience is the whole issue of safety with high energy electrical systems. "Arc Flash" is actually an important safety issue for working on higher voltage/high current power systems. When people say they "saw the sun" just before they were injured during electrical servicing--Really did see the sun. And frequently they have very severe burns because of it.

Any large power system, whether AC or Battery Based, scares the living daylights out of me. In fact, I am more scared of a 1,000 AH 48 volt battery bus than I am of a 120/240 pole drop from a transformer to my home. The battery bus could supply 10 of thousands of amperes into a dead short with (perhaps) no fuses, breakers, or switches). A residential pole transformer (in the US) will only supply 10,000 amps maximum of AC current (AC current is typically "safer" than DC current of similar voltage and current).

Many times, people can find used UPS systems (somebody moved/upgraded/abandoned a computer room) for very little money (scrap value). Could you find one of those and wire it up as designed and then connect a solar array charging system too it--Very possible. You do that a couple of times--You can hang a "Green Energy" USP systems expert sign on the side of your business and have a whole new avenue for expansion (assuming everything works to your expectations).

Just as an aside--There are now standards that large computer centers are trying to implement... Basically ~380 VDC wiring. Many good quality computer supplies can run directly from ~380 VDC, and people save the conversion losses of AC Inverters (battery to 120/240 VAC).

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/427504/edisons-revenge-the-rise-of-dc-power/
    [PDF]IEEE 380VDC WHITE PAPER

I am not sure I would suggest running your average 20 person office space on 380 VDC power for their computers--But it is something to add to your bag of tricks/to think about. (note, I have serious safety concerns about dropping 380 VDC into a cubicle... At the very least, I would be suggesting in a locked data center with trained folks only having access--There are lots of DC issues that may not be addressed well enough for "safe" day to day use in an office--I have not researched it much, but from what I have read/talked to people about, it is not reading yet for non-skilled implementation).

Regarding your two smaller AC inverters vs one big one--I would probably still suggest connecting them to one battery bank. The AC outptut is reduced and isolated (and a bit of redundancey if needed). While the DC side is all in one managed power brick.

-Bill
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

How about a pair of xantrex 6048 hybrid inverters paralleled and connected to 2400ah 48v battery. When grid is up it could send 200amps towards charging the batteries. If the grid is down for extended periods the generator could charge the batteries with the inverters and power your office. This would load the generator up over 50% and would be more efficient than using it just to power the office. If you wanted you could add a couple of charge controllers and 8kw off solar to the mix and reduce your grid and generator usage even more.
    Ned
  • Nila
    Options
    You should double check how your meter bills for electricity. In the US, commercial accounts can be charged for "poor" power factor (usually, the peak kVA for for a 1 month or 1 year period). The "reservation charges" are (very roughly) about 1/2 of the electric bill. So correcting a PF from 0.67 to 0.95 can reduce a bill by (0.71 PF correction * 0.5 of bill=) ~0.355 / 36% reduction in power costs (more or less).

That also means that monitoring peak usage is important for US commercial customers. For example, monitoring the kW usage--if it gets too high for >10 minutes, then shedding some load (cutting off 1/2 the A/C for example) for a 1/2 hour can keep keep the "reservation" charge portion of the bill down (sometimes by a lot if your power peaks are very high vs average power usage).

No such thing in india atleast on my state. My commercial grid and home grid both uses the same KWH meter and Im very sure the company doesn't care about the peak load ,etc just what the meter value says and they use a simple multiplication to charge us.

Im not sure however if the meter charges for the power drawn or if it will calculate the reactive power, and charge us. I will try find the name of the meter in use here.

Types of UPS systems... There is the MSW / PSW (TSW) (modified square/sine wave, pure/true sine wave). MSW inverters are really just square waves with with "shoulders" at 0 Volts to match Sine Wave Form a little bit better. MSW inverters can supply about 80% of the loads out there, and perhaps 10% of the loads will have early life failures (typically over heating).

Motors will draw about 20% more power because MSW (Fourier series) Inverters do not supply all of the energy at 50/60 Hz fundamental frequency... And the higher harmonics are wasted as heat in motors (hot motors, can be shorter life). Transformer (and especially small plug mounted types) can also run hot/overheat.

For electronic power supplies (non-PFC type), they use a Diode Rectifier charging a capacitor. With a square wave, the sharp rising edge can cause very high current spikes on the rectifier diodes and high voltage capacitors--causing them to run hot too.

Also, if you have any electronic timers/clocks, the sharp edges and lower peak voltage can confuse timing circuits that use AC power for timing.

In the end, I would suggest TSW/PSW over MSW for anybody that has loads they care about (i.e., filament lamps, a cheap TV, brushed motors for electric drills, mixers, etc. can work fine on MSW). MSW can also cause some devices (and even metal electrical boxes) to "buzz" because of the sharp wave fronts.

I have used the Square wave/ MSW inverters for home and I did not like those noises at fans and over heating. Im pretty much sure I would go with a TSW inverter/UPS for the office as there is lot of sensitive equipments there that i would want to risk.
    Regarding types of UPS--There are Off Line Backup (AC power goes through inverter and runs the loads, sometimes through a step controlled transformer for voltage adjustments)--These UPS systems are supposed to switch over in about 1/2 cycle to run the loads. And there are continuous converters--AC in, thru battery charger, to batteries, to AC inverter, to loads (no power fail/switch over issues). And, as always there are variations--I have seen (smaller) UPS systems that run about 10% power through the inverter and 90% power straight through from the grid--the "best of both worlds" (in theory, more efficient, few issues with switch over and undetected inverter faults).

What type of UPS system would be best for you--Don't know. I have seen the typical Rack Mounted UPS systems that had stand by inverters that would work 100% of the time in the lab under testing, but in real life, about 1-10% of the real power failures they would not switch fast enough to keep a rack mounted PC from crashing/rebooting. I could never simulate those types of failure on a work bench with typical test gear.

I am okay if the computers would restart once in 10 failures. Employees will not be happy if it will restart at every time the grid goes down ( atleast 2-3 times in a day )

We do have a separate small cheap UPS powering each computer for 10-20min backup which is helping for now to be a buffer between the grid/diesel generators .

but we plan to remove it when we go with a larger UPS /Inverter system as they would draw the battery bank unnecessarily and is less efficient/ and heats the room.

If we ditch it its going to be just sitting around taking up space and if we sell them they would be going for scrap value. now would you suggest doing something useful with them or are they better of ditching?

I am still not decided on which UPS/Inverter to go with .

It is a tough call. I would doubt your typical licensed electrician could do a better job than you designing and integrating the DC side of the power system. In the US, we have had a few posting here where the contractors wired up the DC side of the power system just like the AC side--Meaning that a 24 volt DC system, was wired with way too small of wire (electrical guys dide not even do the Power=Volts*Current thing where a 24 volt system draw >5x as much current as a 120 VAC system with the same watt rating).

However, that is not to say that you doing the electrical specifications and hiring a knowledgeable electrician with the tools/experience cannot make for a nice compromise and a reliable/nice looking installation (I am great at design, my actual installation skills--I recognize there are better craftsmen than I). If you find an experienced electrician who will listen to you, and work with you too--You both can learn a lot (local codes, safety requirements, experience where to purchase supplies, how to install, working with DC systems, etc.).

I will surely go with your advice. Yeah I have seen people here suggesting me that Ampere is ampere regardless of voltages ;)..
    They wanted to sell me 4 or 6mm wire for a potential 48v/40A DC sytem for upto 10 feet,more..

I would probably choose an electrician that would listen to me and hire him for a month or so to do this installation slowly because we cannot rush this and have any disastrous days of downtime.

Many times, people can find used UPS systems (somebody moved/upgraded/abandoned a computer room) for very little money (scrap value). Could you find one of those and wire it up as designed and then connect a solar array charging system too it--Very possible. You do that a couple of times--You can hang a "Green Energy" USP systems expert sign on the side of your business and have a whole new avenue for expansion (assuming everything works to your expectations).

We plan to do it ;) and have installed many under 48v /24 and 12 system already but I m worried about higher voltages and that seems very daunting.

Simple mistakes can cost lot of money or health issues. Which is why I want to do this one very carefully.

I can PM our website to you if you wish to look at but I do not want to spam here .

Just as an aside--There are now standards that large computer centers are trying to implement... Basically ~380 VDC wiring. Many good quality computer supplies can run directly from ~380 VDC, and people save the conversion losses of AC Inverters (battery to 120/240 VAC).

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...e-of-dc-power/
    [PDF]IEEE 380VDC WHITE PAPER

I am not sure I would suggest running your average 20 person office space on 380 VDC power for their computers--But it is something to add to your bag of tricks/to think about. (note, I have serious safety concerns about dropping 380 VDC into a cubicle... At the very least, I would be suggesting in a locked data center with trained folks only having access--There are lots of DC issues that may not be addressed well enough for "safe" day to day use in an office--I have not researched it much, but from what I have read/talked to people about, it is not reading yet for non-skilled implementation).

Regarding your two smaller AC inverters vs one big one--I would probably still suggest connecting them to one battery bank. The AC outptut is reduced and isolated (and a bit of redundancey if needed). While the DC side is all in one managed power brick.

We indeed looked at this as my CEO / partner wanted to do this as he was asking my why would we convert DC to AC then back to DC if we can do DC-DC smps.

Here our computers require lot of servicing so people access the backside of the computer very often to plug,etc.. I dont want 380VDC there at all.

Like you said its good solution for Datacenters though.

Wouldn't the uneven draw from the bank make the cells unbalance?

Is it possible to like draw a 96V and 48V from the 144V bank? without future issues?

it takes 12 Battery in serial to get this voltage.. how many strings I could go ? , I think financially speaking I could afford only 1 more string.

So 24 batteries total.. 200AH each . would be 400AH at 144v ? , I think can give about 24-26 KwH theoretical power a day at 50% DOD?

I could be wrong but from my memory for just computers and lightings I may just need that per day.

Also I am going to look for any one selling their UPS installation around here.

And BTW thanks to you personally and for all the forum members helping here.
    I wouldn't get such quality advices near my location even if I'd pay someone.
  • Nila
    Options
    offgrid me wrote: »
    How about a pair of xantrex 6048 hybrid inverters paralleled and connected to 2400ah 48v battery. When grid is up it could send 200amps towards charging the batteries. If the grid is down for extended periods the generator could charge the batteries with the inverters and power your office. This would load the generator up over 50% and would be more efficient than using it just to power the office. If you wanted you could add a couple of charge controllers and 8kw off solar to the mix and reduce your grid and generator usage even more.
    Ned

Is it possible to actually parallel the Inverters? and 2400 AH / 48V is like very huge for us to even setup in office.

I believe I would need atleast 48 Batteries, We can may be go with only 24 batteries.

Grid is down ONLY for 3 hours at a time max,, usually 1-2 hours.. then it comes back and then again it will be shutdown .. lol.. Its like a PWM all the day and not switched off for 10 hours straight.

We can use genset to do the bulk charging if it goes down for extended periods.

I was also planning to have 8-10KW panels and 2 charge controllers or one big one from Outback ..

I believe I can get it from Solar electric if they will ship to India , not sure if they do though, Im contacting them as we speak.

Xantrex is a hybrid if we get it why would we need a charge controller?
  • offgrid me
    offgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Options

You would need charge controllers for the solar. The inverter is a hybrid in that it can work on grid or off grid, it will not regulate solar. You would need more than one controller for 8k of panel. The largest CC's made are 80amp and at 48volt this is about 4000w after losses. If the outages are only for a few hours you could get by with a smaller battery. There are some 2v batteries that are rated at 1200amh so 24 of these could supply almost 19kwh of power at 50% discharge.
    Ned
  • BB.
    Options

I am not sure I understand what "it" is:
    I am okay if the computers would restart once in 10 failures. Employees will not be happy if it will restart at every time the grid goes down ( atleast 2-3 times in a day )

We do have a separate small cheap UPS powering each computer for 10-20min backup which is helping for now to be a buffer between the grid/diesel generators .

but we plan to remove it when we go with a larger UPS /Inverter system as they would draw the battery bank unnecessarily and is less efficient/ and heats the room.

If we ditch it its going to be just sitting around taking up space and if we sell them they would be going for scrap value. now would you suggest doing something useful with them or are they better of ditching?.

I guess you are talking about that to do with the smaller UPS systems (personal computer size?).

Other than the usual sell/scrap--Two things I would suggest. Give them (or scrap them) to your employees for home use. Or, try some experimenting with them for conversion with external battery banks/solar charging/backup generator charging. May regions of the world use various battery backed systems for home use (fridge/lights/TV/etc.) for areas with unreliable power. You may find some inexpensive units are good for conversion (cheap, rugged, reliable). Many may have too small of battery charger for a large external battery bank, etc. May be worth "blowing them up" for experimentation, see how long the UPS/battery banks last in home use, etc. I assume there is a big market in your region for home UPS systems that are between the small 30 minute and big industrial units. Either for personal education or further business opportunities--Your call.
    I can PM our website to you if you wish to look at but I do not want to spam here .

We do allow "personally connected commercial signatures" here for folks that actually participate in the forum. You are more than welcome to put a link and short description to your business in your Sig.
    Wouldn't the uneven draw from the bank make the cells unbalance?

Is it possible to like draw a 96V and 48V from the 144V bank? without future issues?

No, you should not take 48 volts from a string of 144 volt batteries in a bank. This "unbalances" the batteries. When you recharge them, some batteries are "near full" and others are discharged. When recharging you have to "force" lots of current through the "full batteries" to recharge the discharged ones. Over charging is very hard on Lead Acid Batteries and can knock years off the battery life.

By the way--It is possible to pull (for example) 12 volts from a 24 volt battery bank. There are (electrically isolated) DC to DC converters (bi-directional DC power supplies) where you attach one between the "high 12 volt" and "low 12 volt" batteries. These "balance" the voltage between the two sets of batteries. Essentially, when the "low bank" is being discharged, the DC to DC converter takes current from the high bank and uses to supplement/recharge the low bank under load. And, conversely, when the 24 volt bank is being recharged, the DC converter again balances the voltage between the two different 12 volt halves of battery bank. If one battery is fully charged, the "higher voltage" will be drained down (converted) to provide current for the lower voltage battery.

This is done quite often in recreational (caravan/bus conversion) type installation where you have a 24 volt battery to start/run the vehicle and still have 12 volts for other loads.

There have been all sorts of designs that go down even to the cell (2 volt) to charge/control charging (central charger with basically 6/12/24/etc. separate isolated battery chargers). I think they are pretty rare--But have been done before (I fall across links to such charging systems from time to time, but can never find them to reference in a post when I want too).

There are sometimes vendors that make battery top "diversion" chargers. Wire the diversion "controller" on one battery and connect a pair of sense leads to the battery next to it. Repeat for each battery/cell in the bank. If one battery has a higher voltage vs the one next to it, then start bypassing a couple of amps around the "higher voltage battery". This allows batteries to be "balanced" without over charging other batteries in the string.

Not to suggest that you want to do any of this--But to give you ideas of what people have done in the past to address specialized needs/try to get longer life from their expensive batteries.
    it takes 12 Battery in serial to get this voltage.. how many strings I could go ? , I think financially speaking I could afford only 1 more string.

I personally try to advise people to get higher AH rated cells/batteries (i.e., 400 AH cell/battery vs 4x 100 AH cells/batteries in parallel). There are lots of issues with paralleling battery banks. Batteries are very low impedance and who's voltage (charging/discharging) is dependent on chemistry/temperature/stray resistance/age/etc. It is very difficult to get batteries to "evenly share" current over multiple parallel paths. Balanced wiring (same wire lengths) and monitoring (with a DC current clamp meter under load/charge) to look for problems (poor electrical connection, cells going open/shorted, etc.) can help keep things in control--But it does require constant attention to find issues before they take out a string or a whole bank.

Plus, if you have flooded cell batteries, you have more cells to check every month for electrolyte levels, more electrical connections to maintain, and more costs (each battery string should have its own fuse/circuit breaker for fault protection).

My recommendation is 1 string as optimum. 2-3 parallel battery strings maximum unless you have no other choice (because of above issues).
    So 24 batteries total.. 200AH each . would be 400AH at 144v ? , I think can give about 24-26 KwH theoretical power a day at 50% DOD?

Yes, that would do it. 12x 12 volt batteries in series, and two strings in parallel.

144 volts * 400 AH * 0.50 discharge = 28,800 Watt*Hours = 28.8 kWH of energy
    I could be wrong but from my memory for just computers and lightings I may just need that per day.

Also I am going to look for any one selling their UPS installation around here.

You have several parameters to "balance here"... First is total storage. You have that nailed (remembering to add inverter/battery/charging losses).

Next is current output. Batteries are more efficient if discharged slowly (Peukert factor). Flooded cell tend to see this effect more. AGM tend to see this effect less (AGM are more efficient under heavy loads per AH rating). For typical flooded cell batteries, discharging at C/8 (8 hour till battery dead) is about the fastest you would want (batteries can over heat if discharged faster, more losses, etc.). For Off Grid use, we usually aim at C/20 discharge rates. If you have surge draw (pumps, A/C compressors, etc.)... C/2.5 is about the highest surge current you would want to plan on. I.e., a 400 AH battery bank / 2.5 rate of discharge = 160 amps maximum surge current.

And then there is recharging. Again, for flooded cell batteries, roughly C/8 is a "comfortable" maximum recharging rate. Higher recharging current should have temperature monitoring of the battery bank to avoid thermal run away issues (hot batteries have lower charging voltage, remote battery temperature sensor will tell charge controller to reduce voltage set point to prevent over charging a hot battery bank and boiling/cooking the battery bank).

More or less, this works out to around 100 AH @ 48 volts per 1 kW of constant load and even solar array for reliable/long term operation. I.e., a 48 volt @ 400 AH battery bank would be 4kW inverter and 4kW of solar power--A 400 AH @ 144 volt battery bank would be 3x as much or 12 kW inverter + 12 kW solar maximum (the limit for solar panels seems to be based on the fact that nearly fully charged battery bank with a MPPT type charge controller can "sweep" the array looking for Vmp*Imp--The full current surge appears to "over charge" a "too small" battery bank and can take a 48 volt battery bank to over 72 volts in some conditions.

AGM batteries can supply much higher surge currents--But cannot "absorb" high charging currents when full (same limitations as flooded cell).

Note--The above are rules of thumb we use around here and have worked well (reliable systems over life of battery bank--and great to use for quick back of the envelope calculations). Your needs may differ. And if you are "cost sensitive", then you may choose to push the rules based on your design needs and actual components/batteries selected.

For example, many folks look at the discharge characteristics of their system, but overlook the recharging needs. A "smaller bank" that is taken to 50% state of charge may supply the loads well and be cost effective (i.e., 50% maximum discharge "wears out" the batteries faster, but a 2x larger bank may last 2.2x longer with 75% SoC discharging--So the costs over time are similar). But, the deeper you discharge the batteries, the longer it takes to recharge them. Deep cycling a battery bank may take upwards of 16 hour charging cycle to completely recover (again for flooded cell).

Solar power is limited (daylight only, summer vs winter sunlight reduction for non-equatorial installations, etc.). And if you operate down to 50% discharge in normal operation, what happens if you have an unplanned second/longer outage (yes, this is where the backup genset fills that need).

And other battery constructions can have their own limitations. For example GEL batteries have very good surge capabilities (same as AGM), but many (most) GEL batteries are limited to C/20 (5%) rate of charge--A 50% discharge may take 10-20 hours to recharge--Not great for a solar powered installation where you get ~6-8 hours maximum of charging time per day.

Some battery mfg. recommend 5% minimum rate of charge... Others recommend 10% minimum rate of charge. And others recommend C/8 or ~13% maximum rate of charge (thermal issues). Again more rules of thumb--Check with actual specifications when looking for buying parts.

Break into two posts--Too long:

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

Finish the post:

Is it possible to actually parallel the Inverters? and 2400 AH / 48V is like very huge for us to even setup in office.

I believe I would need at least 48 Batteries, We can may be go with only 24 batteries.

Grid is down ONLY for 3 hours at a time max,, usually 1-2 hours.. then it comes back and then again it will be shutdown .. lol.. Its like a PWM all the day and not switched off for 10 hours straight.

We can use genset to do the bulk charging if it goes down for extended periods.

I was also planning to have 8-10KW panels and 2 charge controllers or one big one from Outback ..

I believe I can get it from Solar electric if they will ship to India , not sure if they do though, Im contacting them as we speak.

Xantrex is a hybrid if we get it why would we need a charge controller?

Yes, you can connect multiple 48 VDC inverters to a single 48 VDC battery bank (assuming good wiring/bus bar practices). You can also connect multiple charging sources to a single battery bank (again wiring practices). Note that you want to avoid going over ~25% maximum rate of charge (solar+AC Backup chargers+etc.) without looking at thermal management issues.

The charge controllers may not synchronize (some may be in bulk, others in absorb or float)--That is OK. The highest voltage setting charge controller will "win". Some solar MPPT charge controllers have sync connections available.

It appears you keep thinking of batteries in 12 volt "chunks". There are others from 2 volt (individual cells) to large 24 volt (such as forklift) and all sorts of other variations.

Obviously a large bank is going to need a very heavy/large battery bank. Shipping and handling batteries may make getting individual cells important... I.e., you could get a 12 volt @ 220 AH battery, or two 6 volt @ 220 AH for 1/2 the weight per battery (easier to move).

Or even get a 2 volt @ 1,320 AH cell, and put 6 of them in series for a 1,320 AH 12 volt battery bank (each cell would be about the same weight/size of a single 12 volt @ 220 AH battery). And you have one series string of 6 cells rather than 6 parallel strings of 12 volt batteries with 36 cells to water, 6 strings of electrical connections, 6x protective devices per string, etc.

MSW vs TSW and isolation: One thing to add here... Typically MSW inverters do not have isolated AC outputs. If you "short" one leg of the AC output to ground and have the battery bank also ground referenced--You can short out the MSW Inverter. MSW inverters tend to have "battery referenced" AC outputs (not floating/transformer outputs).

TSW inverters usually have a transformer for output isolation. If you ground one of the AC output leads--It will not short back to the ground reference battery bank. I.e., "floating" AC output.

-Bill
  • BB.
    Options

And, forgot to add... Look at Midnite Solar's Classic MPPT Charge Controllers. I believe they have the ability to operate a (somewhat) higher input/output voltages. Or higher output current at "nominal" battery bank voltages.

www.solar-electric.com/misoclchco.html
    www.midnitesolar.com

They also have their own forum too for further technical discussions.

-Bill
  • Nila
    Options
    offgrid me wrote: »
    You would need charge controllers for the solar. The inverter is a hybrid in that it can work on grid or off grid, it will not regulate solar. You would need more than one controller for 8k of panel. The largest CC's made are 80amp and at 48volt this is about 4000w after losses. If the outages are only for a few hours you could get by with a smaller battery. There are some 2v batteries that are rated at 1200amh so 24 of these could supply almost 19kwh of power at 50% discharge.
    Ned

Thanks mate, sorry I do not know your name.

Looks like I would get 2x CC's and about 7-8 KW panels.

Regarding the batteries , I dont think there is any other batteries available in my location apart from the standard voltage of 12V. I will give a check though.
  • Nila
    Options
    I guess you are talking about that to do with the smaller UPS systems (personal computer size?).

Other than the usual sell/scrap--Two things I would suggest. Give them (or scrap them) to your employees for home use. Or, try some experimenting with them for conversion with external battery banks/solar charging/backup generator charging. May regions of the world use various battery backed systems for home use (fridge/lights/TV/etc.) for areas with unreliable power. You may find some inexpensive units are good for conversion (cheap, rugged, reliable). Many may have too small of battery charger for a large external battery bank, etc. May be worth "blowing them up" for experimentation, see how long the UPS/battery banks last in home use, etc. I assume there is a big market in your region for home UPS systems that are between the small 30 minute and big industrial units. Either for personal education or further business opportunities--Your call.

You are right, I was talking about those cheap UPS, I believe they would contain only 10 or 8 AH batteries at 9 or 12 volts max.. I am not certain what to do with them, Most of them may not work 100% right. I will rip one of them to see whats inside to see if its useful/not.

We might go with the experimentation route.

By the way--It is possible to pull (for example) 12 volts from a 24 volt battery bank. There are (electrically isolated) DC to DC converters (bi-directional DC power supplies) where you attach one between the "high 12 volt" and "low 12 volt" batteries. These "balance" the voltage between the two sets of batteries. Essentially, when the "low bank" is being discharged, the DC to DC converter takes current from the high bank and uses to supplement/recharge the low bank under load. And, conversely, when the 24 volt bank is being recharged, the DC converter again balances the voltage between the two different 12 volt halves of battery bank. If one battery is fully charged, the "higher voltage" will be drained down (converted) to provide current for the lower voltage battery.

I would like to play safe and pull the nominal volts out of the battery bank without splitting it as I dont want to spend lot of time looking fo the right diversion chargers,etc .

Thanks for the info though :), Interesting.

I personally try to advise people to get higher AH rated cells/batteries (i.e., 400 AH cell/battery vs 4x 100 AH cells/batteries in parallel). There are lots of issues with paralleling battery banks. Batteries are very low impedance and who's voltage (charging/discharging) is dependent on chemistry/temperature/stray resistance/age/etc. It is very difficult to get batteries to "evenly share" current over multiple parallel paths. Balanced wiring (same wire lengths) and monitoring (with a DC current clamp meter under load/charge) to look for problems (poor electrical connection, cells going open/shorted, etc.) can help keep things in control--But it does require constant attention to find issues before they take out a string or a whole bank.

Plus, if you have flooded cell batteries, you have more cells to check every month for electrolyte levels, more electrical connections to maintain, and more costs (each battery string should have its own fuse/circuit breaker for fault protection).

My recommendation is 1 string as optimum. 2-3 parallel battery strings maximum unless you have no other choice (because of above issues).

Regarding batteries I dont think I have a lot of choice, We have to work with what we have in my city and due to tons of power outages, its very high demand to even get the standard size batteries.. here 180AH/200AH are the larges for 12V :( and I do not see any other volts at all.. may be 6V very rarely.

I am buying all the other things from other big cities/other countries. Batteries we cannot pay the huge shipping cost so we need to find it local.

Note--The above are rules of thumb we use around here and have worked well (reliable systems over life of battery bank--and great to use for quick back of the envelope calculations). Your needs may differ. And if you are "cost sensitive", then you may choose to push the rules based on your design needs and actual components/batteries selected.

Yeah we are cost sensitive at this point of time. due to tons of fuel costs and electricity over the last 2 years , we do not have lot of money to spare.

I will write up my load calc with morning usage (9-5PM) as well as night usage.. ( night(6-2 AM) usage is LOT less than our day time)

Please help me size the battery where I can use the less possible number of batteries at the same time take maximum advantage of the Morning time bleeding energy after battery is charged and choose the best system voltage ( I believe this is directly related to the Inverter used ).

At my home I am taking full advantage of this morning usage and I will simply cut off my EB supply and everything sems to run off the solar without discharging the battery until early evening when I will switch on the grid back.. I would love to do something at office too.

And regarding the type of batteries, I am inclined to use the flooded cell because its cheap and have experience handling them . Here they have tall tubular batteries, Do you think they are any better than the normal standard flooded LA batteries for solar applications.

Some battery mfg. recommend 5% minimum rate of charge... Others recommend 10% minimum rate of charge. And others recommend C/8 or ~13% maximum rate of charge (thermal issues). Again more rules of thumb--Check with actual specifications when looking for buying parts.

Our battery manufactures offers zero support and the distributors that sell them do not know whats a rate of charge :(

Generally people here do not seem to really care about any tech specs.

I will try to get the spec/data sheet before deciding on which one to do.

As usual, thanks for all the info. I am very close to commit into the system and start working towards making it real.
  • Nila
    Options
    Yes, you can connect multiple 48 VDC inverters to a single 48 VDC battery bank (assuming good wiring/bus bar practices). You can also connect multiple charging sources to a single battery bank (again wiring practices). Note that you want to avoid going over ~25% maximum rate of charge (solar+AC Backup chargers+etc.) without looking at thermal management issues.

NO I would never exceed the 25% because I wouldnt plan to have enough panels to do so at first place.

AC Backup charger will be 100% disconnected during mornings to ensure the grid is not used .
    The charge controllers may not synchronize (some may be in bulk, others in absorb or float)--That is OK. The highest voltage setting charge controller will "win". Some solar MPPT charge controllers have sync connections available.

I think some Tristar models can sync remember reading it somewhere.

Both the controllers will sense the battery voltage to decide the charge stage right? but if it by mistake senses the each other's voltages this may get in-efficient? because we are connecting all the wires together in to the battery posts anyway?

It appears you keep thinking of batteries in 12 volt "chunks". There are others from 2 volt (individual cells) to large 24 volt (such as forklift) and all sorts of other variations.

Obviously a large bank is going to need a very heavy/large battery bank. Shipping and handling batteries may make getting individual cells important... I.e., you could get a 12 volt @ 220 AH battery, or two 6 volt @ 220 AH for 1/2 the weight per battery (easier to move).

12volt is the only version that is available widely here around my city, I will see if its possible to get the 6v ones . I agree.. I have carried those 12V 200AH batteries and I do not wish to do that often.

Regarding MSW/TSW, I think we will certainly use the TSW and it looks like another good reason to consider TSW always instead of MSW.
  • BB.
    Options
    Regarding batteries I dont think I have a lot of choice, We have to work with what we have in my city and due to tons of power outages, its very high demand to even get the standard size batteries.. here 180AH/200AH are the larges for 12V :( and I do not see any other volts at all.. may be 6V very rarely.

I am buying all the other things from other big cities/other countries. Batteries we cannot pay the huge shipping cost so we need to find it local.

You might look for forklift and other industrial battery suppliers (if they exist in your region). Your in southern India? Perhaps more options near a port facility?
    Yeah we are cost sensitive at this point of time. due to tons of fuel costs and electricity over the last 2 years , we do not have lot of money to spare.

At some point, you will have to model battery life vs depth of discharge vs "battery quality" vs costs... In the end, you probably want to come up with a $$$/kWH (or kWH/$$$) cost and life of battery (i.e., downtime+costs to replace a "cheap bank every 3 years vs a horribly expensive bank every 15-20 years (or perhaps, your system will only have a 2-4 year useful life anyway--then you either expand, contract, move, etc. and need to start over).
    I will write up my load calc with morning usage (9-5PM) as well as night usage.. ( night(6-2 AM) usage is LOT less than our day time)

This is where things "get interesting". It is very easy to model "charge when the sun is up and discharge when the sun is down).

If the model is charge/use power when the sun is up--Potentially you don't need much in the way of battery capacity (just enough to account for morning/evening use + any surge capacity). You size the bank for that, then figure out your average mid-day power usage (say 60 amps @ 48 volts), then your solar array would be 60 amps load sustaining+5-13% rate of charge to supply enough energy to recharge the bank for morning/evening use). You could start small (5%) and see what happens, then add solar array+charge controllers if 5% is "not enough" and move towards 10-13% rate of charge (25% would probably be the ceiling).
    Please help me size the battery where I can use the less possible number of batteries at the same time take maximum advantage of the Morning time bleeding energy after battery is charged and choose the best system voltage ( I believe this is directly related to the Inverter used ).

For you, the best voltage will probably be the highest voltage you can find equipment to support. For Solar RE, that is usually 48 volts. If you use UPS systems, you could look at 144 volts or higher. Charging becomes a bit of an issue, finding AC Battery Chargers and some sort of DC Solar Charger will be a bigger issue (you can charge 48 volt blocks of batteries with standard solar RE controllers--But you have to watch for grounding issues. Most controllers assume battery minus is earth ground--Those 48 volt blocks will have offset negative lead voltages--And connecting RS 232/422 voltage isolation, wiring up arrays with multiple +/- fuses/breakers all add to complexity and costs.

You should be able to support a 6-10 kW inverter with 48 volt--But more than that will really push up the copper content (and high current breaker/fuses/switches) for the system costs/difficulty to find devices.
    At my home I am taking full advantage of this morning usage and I will simply cut off my EB supply and everything sems to run off the solar without discharging the battery until early evening when I will switch on the grid back.. I would love to do something at office too.

Since you have AC Power available during (at times) random parts of the day--Then you can always make up for the time/cost limited issues of pure Solar Panel system. I.e., the solar will keep the system reasonably charged for the better part of a week (don't take the batteries below ~50% SOC and try to get, at least, back above 75% a couple times a week (that would be my initial goals).

Then use the weekend to fully recharge the battery bank back over 90% SOC. And during times of poor weather/heavy power usage, use available utility power to help recharge the bank (say at night, or even help during the day). And use the diesel genset when both sun and utility fail to keep the bank "happy".
    And regarding the type of batteries, I am inclined to use the flooded cell because its cheap and have experience handling them . Here they have tall tubular batteries, Do you think they are any better than the normal standard flooded LA batteries for solar applications.

I don't have any real "large battery" experience--Stephen and others here do--So they can probably answer the questions better for you.

Personally, I would only use more expensive batteries if they give you something you need. Better surge capacity, higher rates of charge/discharge, and/or longer life in your application.

Sealed batteries cycling--I have to wonder if they will do much better than 2-3 year life unless they have an enforceable warranty that gets you out 6+ years. One poster in another forum asked the question why AGMs (for example) seem to have shorted useful life... one suggestion was that flooded cell electrolyte kept Oxygen from the battery grids and reduced corrosion vs the ability for "battery oxygen" to directly attack grid/supports in an AGM battery (don't know if true--but and interesting idea trying to explain the apparent life differences).
    Our battery manufactures offers zero support and the distributors that sell them do not know whats a rate of charge :(

Generally people here do not seem to really care about any tech specs.

I will try to get the spec/data sheet before deciding on which one to do.

Thanks to the Web--Most everything is available somehow/somewhere.
    As usual, thanks for all the info. I am very close to commit into the system and start working towards making it real.

And please come back and document/let us know how everything works out. It is nice to get feed back on our suggestions to see if we were right or wrong.
    NO I would never exceed the 25% because I wouldnt plan to have enough panels to do so at first place.

AC Backup charger will be 100% disconnected during mornings to ensure the grid is not used .

If you use solar+ac backup charger (when cloudy and/or during periods of heavy loads)--Your solar+AC Backup charging could easily exceed 13%--You should have a temperature display/alarm on the battery bank "just in case".
    I think some Tristar models can sync remember reading it somewhere.

Probably--And Outback, Midnite, Xantrex/Schneider MPPT controllers do too (I believe).
    Both the controllers will sense the battery voltage to decide the charge stage right? but if it by mistake senses the each other's voltages this may get in-efficient? because we are connecting all the wires together in to the battery posts anyway?

And why I always recommend "home running" each charge controller back to the battery bus. If you run a cable from battery to charger A then to Charger B (daisy chaining), the voltage drop from multiple controllers (and the "electrical noise" of the different controllers/charging modes) can confuse the chargers--Reducing their charging current.

But, if you have two solar MPPT controllers running at 50% vs one running at 80% and the other running at 20%--It really does not make a difference to the battery bank.

-Bill
  • Chad
    Chad Registered Users Posts: 5
    Options

Hello! This is chad at Michigan Energy Works. I have been doing High voltage systems since 1982 and have a lot of experience around the country with 120 vdc, 144 vdc, & 180 volts dc. I started building custom stand alone inverters at Heart Invertors in Seattle , WA. back in the 1980's. Since then I have gone on to build both quasi- sine and pure sine inverters for my customers. I recently built a 300 vdc inverter to run off my Prius to run my home or office or help out a neighbor when the electric grid is down. We can build inverters up 100 Kilowatts (100,000 watts) and bigger if needed with typically two times surge.

I just ran across this blog and will have to catch up on the reading of posts, but may I suggest that you contact Saw Bill Canoe Outfitters in Tofte, MN. at Saw Bill Lake if you want to see one of my larger systems. That system was one of my earlier systems and we run sometimes over 200 kilowatt hours a day in the summer months off a single inverter supported by three strings of golf cart 6 volt 220 amp-hr batteries t-104's @ 144 volts dc.

There is a 50 kw diesel generator on site, but it cannot handle the full load, so it only runs a battery charger to replenish the batteries if needed. There are two 3 kw co-gen units powered by LP and a large solar PV array This business is located 25 miles away from the grid. The 24 KW inverter supplies 120 /240 to the main @ 100 amps with surges well over 200 amps @ 240vac. I can be reached by email at: chadwick.lampkin@gmail.com

I will try to read the rest of the postings and get back in a day or two..chad P.S. I also build divert loads for wind and PV and charge controllers for PV systems working at these higher voltages. These voltages are much lower than the grid tied systems and are just as safe if engineered properly and much safer than the GRID itself! It is very difficult to electrocute yourself on one of my systems!
  • Chad
    Options

I have read the rest of this thread and understand the good advice Bill has given. It happens that 144 vdc is my favorite voltage to work at for this size system. We have been building inverters at this voltage for over 25 years.

The 12 volt batteries that are available to you locally would work just fine and with two banks at 400 amp hours, you have done a good job of designing the system. The custom inverters that we build in house can be easily broke down into small boxes for shipping purposes and handling and easily reassembled into a working inverter on site anywhere in the world. We build an 8 kilowatt inverter that should fit your needs nicely with two times surge. The cost of this inverter would be $8,000.00 USD.,FOB Saranac, Michigan, USA plus shipping and export charges.

This inverter is very robust and redundant, having eight identical sections and indeed the unit will run very nicely with one section completely dead ( not operating) and easily serviced. Spare parts can be easily installed on site, and ordered at time of purchase if so desired.

For battery charging, we offer a high frequency battery charger that is used by the electric car people which has temperature sensing and the generator that you now have would do nothing except charge the battery bank when needed. It, also,could still function as a back up generator, if your battery/ inverter system goes down, by running straight off the generator as you are doing now. This would give you the LARGE UPS SYSTEM that you are looking for, all running off one UPS/ inverter. The efficiency of our inverter is about 96%, with a 32 step sine wave and regulated peak voltage.

If you give me an email address: I can send you a picture of this unit. There are no fans or large heat sinks! You will be the envy of the State and the local utility company. We also sell Sun Power solar panels which work at 20.1% panel conversion efficiency currently 327 Watts each at 54.7 volts @ 5.98 amps. Multiple strings of four (4) of these panels in a series string will do a very nice job of charging your 144 vdc battery pack. There is actually a PV charge controller built into the mother board of the inverter. so all you would have to do is install a mercury contactor to interupt the PV d.c. current coming in from the array for regulation. Good luck with your project! Sincerely, Chad / Michigan Energy Works USA Phone 320-249-3594

P.S. I meant to include the fact that with this custom inverter, a standard line tie inverter will connect the solar array to the a.c. output of the inverter just like it was the utility to charge the battery pack. This would allow you to MPPT the array especially if there is a mismatch between the solar panel output and the battery pack voltage. If this line tie inverter is wired in as a branch circuit off your main, then it will also support your load when you are ON the GRID, as well as when you are operating off the inverter. Our inverter is a true bi-directional unit! In this case you can still use the built in PV regulator the same way as with direct battery charging, only now it interrupts the array d.c. line going to the line tie inverter.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the OP was balking at the $3,000 price of an XW. As such he probably wouldn't be wanting to spend $8,000+.

Very interesting inverters, though. Several people on the forum have expressed interest in higher Voltage units before.
  • Chad
    Options

Thanks for noting the balking price! I missed that!
    I believe the OP was balking at the $3,000 price of an XW. As such he probably wouldn't be wanting to spend $8,000+.

Very interesting inverters, though. Several people on the forum have expressed interest in higher Voltage units before.
  • Nila
    Options

Add the shipping your inverters will be around 10k for me and

If I can spent 12k on entire system I can setup my entire 600AMP battery/ panels/CC/ xantrex Inverter
    For 10k I can still setup everything with a local inverter with nearly 1K for a 5KWA :)

Your solution may make sense to the guys in the USA Im sure, but its just not for me

Actually im debating if I should use a 6kVa inverter like known brand for 3k to 4k or a local less known brand for like just 1-1.5k lol

Chad wrote: »
    Thanks for noting the balking price! I missed that!
  • Nila
    Options

I would suggest you to like space the text out.. this is hard to read.

I have read the rest of this thread and understand the good advice Bill has given. It happens that 144 vdc is my favorite voltage to work at for this size system. We have been building inverters at this voltage for over 25 years. The 12 volt batteries that are available to you locally would work just fine and with two banks at 400 amp hours, you have done a good job of designing the system. The custom inverters that we build in house can be easily broke down into small boxes for shipping purposes and handling and easily reassembled into a working inverter on site anywhere in the world. We build an 8 kilowatt inverter that should fit your needs nicely with two times surge. The cost of this inverter would be $8,000.00 USD.,FOB Saranac, Michigan, USA plus shipping and export charges. This inverter is very robust and redundant, having eight identical sections and indeed the unit will run very nicely with one section completely dead ( not operating) and easily serviced. Spare parts can be easily installed on site, and ordered at time of purchase if so desired. For battery charging, we offer a high frequency battery charger that is used by the electric car people which has temperature sensing and the generator that you now have would do nothing except charge the battery bank when needed. It, also,could still function as a back up generator, if your battery/ inverter system goes down, by running straight off the generator as you are doing now. This would give you the LARGE UPS SYSTEM that you are looking for, all running off one UPS/ inverter. The efficiency of our inverter is about 96%, with a 32 step sine wave and regulated peak voltage. If you give me an email address: I can send you a picture of this unit. There are no fans or large heat sinks! You will be the envy of the State and the local utility company. We also sell Sun Power solar panels which work at 20.1% panel conversion efficiency currently 327 Watts each at 54.7 volts @ 5.98 amps. Multiple strings of four (4) of these panels in a series string will do a very nice job of charging your 144 vdc battery pack. There is actually a PV charge controller built into the mother board of the inverter. so all you would have to do is install a mercury contactor to interupt the PV d.c. current coming in from the array for regulation. Good luck with your project! Sincerely, Chad / Michigan Energy Works USA Phone 320-249-3594
    P.S. I meant to include the fact that with this custom inverter, a standard line tie inverter will connect the solar array to the a.c. output of the inverter just like it was the utility to charge the battery pack. This would allow you to MPPT the array especially if there is a mismatch between the solar panel output and the battery pack voltage. If this line tie inverter is wired in as a branch circuit off your main, then it will also support your load when you are ON the GRID, as well as when you are operating off the inverter. Our inverter is a true bi-directional unit! In this case you can still use the built in PV regulator the same way as with direct battery charging, only now it interrupts the array d.c. line going to the line tie inverter.
  • Chad
    Options

Thanks Bill B for the edit!...Chad
  • Chad
    Options
    Add the shipping your inverters will be around 10k for me and

If I can spent 12k on entire system I can setup my entire 600AMP battery/ panels/CC/ xantrex Inverter
    For 10k I can still setup everything with a local inverter with nearly 1K for a 5KWA :)

Your solution may make sense to the guys in the USA Im sure, but its just not for me

Actually im debating if I should use a 6kVa inverter like known brand for 3k to 4k or a local less known brand for like just 1-1.5k lol

I wanted to point out that you will have a third (1/3) of the current draw in the 144 volt battery pack, allowing for more efficiency and smaller copper connectors! You may need two or three or more of the local inverters or Xantrex inverters to handle the load you have! I believe you said you were running a 20 KW genset! These inverters are not designed for continuous heavy loading and have almost no surge capability. You will find the fans are noisy and the efficiency drops off under heavy loading.

When recharging the battery bank, the 144 volt bank will accept the charge much quicker and with lower losses because of the lower current flow, (your current x current x wiring resistance = wiring and battery resistance losses). At 6,000 watts you are drawing 125 amps ! If you multiply that times itself, times the wiring resistance of even only .5 ohm, then you would get a wiring and battery resistance loss of 7,812.5 watts loss that will be wasted in heat! That is more that you are supporting in a load on the inverter!

With a 144 volt battery pack, the current flow @ 6,000 watts is only 41.67 amps! If you square this value: 41.67 x 41.67 x 1 full ohm of resistance, you only get 1,736 watts of loss in the form of heat! That is less than a quarter of the system loss at 48 volts, not to say anything about inverter losses!!! For a 200 amp-rated battery this is about twice the current you should be designing for. Twenty amps/ battery for continuous draw is pretty much max and you are twice that! Forewarned is for-armed! Let us know how it all turns out....

chad
  • BB.
    Options

Chad,

Have you found any interesting high voltage Solar Charge Controllers (MPPT or otherwise)?

-Bill
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    If you multiply that times itself, times the wiring resistance of even only .5 ohm

"only 0.5 Ohm" is approximately 10,000 ft of 4/0 cable that is usually used between batteries and invertors.

I like the idea of high-voltage battery banks. You can build a really big bank in one string.

I've read somewhere that voltages over 60V are illegal for residential applications in the US and Canada. Don't know if it's true or not.
  • BB.
    Options

60 volts is usually the highest voltage that can be considered "touch safe" by UL (and NEC). Anything higher needs to be behind locked doors and only acceptable by trained personnel with a "tool".

A bigger concern would be the high amperage available with large capacity battery banks... And I would worry about "Arc Flash" events. Those are scary and truly require trained personnel and special clothing, etc. Unfortunately, I am not sure there is good information on what a DC Battery Bus Arc Flash hazard is.

If this is true:

http://www.battcon.com/PapersFinal2012/Bill Cantor - DC ARC Flash.pdf
    The 2012 edition of NFPA 70E includes a new table (130.7(C)(15)(b)) for dc equipment. Part of the table covers voltages over 100 volts and below 250 volts. The other part of the table covers voltages from 250 volts to 600 volts. Although the tables do not cover voltages below 100 volts, it does not indicate there is no arc flash danger below this voltage. In fact, there are potential arc flash hazards even below 50 volts, depending on various factors, including the amount of short circuit current that is available.

The NFPA 70E dc tables are based on a maximum arc duration of two seconds and a working distance of 18”. When working on batteries, unless there is an overcurrent protective device within the string, the arc may continue until something in the circuit melts which may be longer than two seconds. However, if there is an arc flash event it is assumed that the person will vacate the area around the arc within two seconds, either by the initial pressure blast or a reaction to the event. Therefore, two seconds is a reasonable assumption for determining the maximum exposure time if there is not an interrupting device. The 18” working distance is based on a standard reach.

The NFPA 70E tables for dc indicate that for voltages above 100 and arcing current higher than or equal to 1000 amps, the arc flash boundary is at least 36 inches. Anyone within this boundary must wear arc-rated clothing, arc-rated face shield with wrap around protection to protect the entire head (or flash hood), hard hat, safety goggles, hearing protection and leather work shoes (see table 1). To protect against electric shock, the tables require rubber insulating gloves with leather protectors. Also, article 320 of NFPA 2012 requires that acid resistant gloves be used when working on a battery. Essentially, all of this equipment must be used for all battery maintenance with voltages above 100 volts to comply with the standard

Another question I have is with 48 volt battery banks and 2 volt lead acid cells... At 1 part out of 24, it is already getting close to the ability to detect a failed (shorted cell) in a string (2 volts out of 48 or ~4% voltage drop in an operational battery bank.

Going to a 144 volt battery bank, a single failed cell is going to be in the 1% range, probably not reliably detectable by monitoring the 144 volt battery bus... That means some sort of battery monitoring system at the 24 or 12/6/1 cell level to detect single cell failures (would not want an "unqualified" person in there with a DMM and a pair of leads measuring/logging voltages (once a week/month/quarter with a suited up "professional" battery bank tech?).

-Bill
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

My question about high DC Voltage is always: how do you handle it? Getting suitable fuses/breakers/disconnects is not easy or cheap.

And perhaps we should split this off into a new thread of discussion?
  • Nila
    Options

Yeah I had enough problems finding a 96v Charge controller ,

Ive made up my mind to go with a 48v system after knowing the problems in handling the higher voltages :)

Its better to split this into a new thread.

Need someone to help me design the panel array at my recent thread.
    http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?19039-Office-solar-setup-checking-up-numbers-and-loads-of-Qns-as-usual

My question about high DC Voltage is always: how do you handle it? Getting suitable fuses/breakers/disconnects is not easy or cheap.

And perhaps we should split this off into a new thread of discussion?