Flexable cable drive system.

solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
An interesting drive system I saw at an Amish friends home. The bishop of the Amish sect doesn,t allow them to use electric. Most of them use Honda motors to power the pump and washing machine. I was at one amish home and saw his honda outside with a large cable that looked like a huge speedometer cable going thru the wall. He told me that is used to either power his pump or power the washing machine. He just connects the end to which ever he wants to use. I looked on the internet and can,t find anything there like it. I was talking to one of his brothers and he thinks his brother bought the cable in Holmes county Ohio at a farm products show they have in February. Has anyone seen this before? Usually they have thier honda in the celler and it really fumes up the house. With the use of this drive system it keeps all the fumes outside. :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Flexable cable drive system.
    solarvic wrote: »
    I looked on the internet and can,t find anything there like it.
    Something like this maybe? (Bottom half of the page for the ones that have a protective sheath and can handle up to 5000 RPM. The longest is six feet.)
    Google search "Flexible PTO Shaft" and then follow "http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=305092"
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Flexible drive shafts available from McMaster-Carr?

-Bill

missed it by 3 minutes. ;)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic

Can,t tell for sure but I think the flexible shaft that the Amish friend uses is even bigger than any listed in mcmaster carr book. Next time I see him I am going to get more info. Thanks for pointing out the link. It isn,t too big of a priority but always like to learn about new things too me. :Dsolarvic:D
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Wow. I haven't been up there but one time. Wish I had the time to stop and see what they are doing without indoor electricity. Lehman's was always on my list.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    solarvic wrote: »
    Usually they have their Honda in the cellar and it really fumes up the house. :Dsolarvic:D

WOW!!!! Near where I live, a whole family just ended up in hospital on 100% oxygen for an extended time. They ran their gen in their basement and the whole family nearly died. They thought the young son was gone, but the medical teams managed to get him back. There were photos of them in hospital, on oxy, faces bright red. That was close but I cannot understand how any normal adult would not be aware of the dangers.
  • solarvic

There are lots of amish in my area and most all of them use gasoline engines in thuer house to run washing machines and water pumps. They run exaust to outside but I still think they get fumes inside. Melvin told me jonithon,s wife got overcome by the fumes and got very sick for awhile. Why he got the drive system so he could keep the honda outside. Melvin just got married and his wufe wants him to move the honda outside. I told him about the 12 volt pumps and he thinks he would like one if the bishop would approve. Can,t charge the battery with a solar panel but is allowed to charge battery at the sawmill. All them charge thier buggy batterys at the sawmill. They started using led lights on thier buggys awhile back so they can get more use between charges. :Dsolarvic:D
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I run my wringer washing machine indoors ( not in the house) I simply removed the muffler, welded on a pipe nipple and sent the exhaust out through the watt, and then mounted the muffler at the end of the flex pipe. The machine is actually pretty quiet as th Honda runs just above idle.

Tony