Convert 24V DC to 24v AC

2Guido
2Guido Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭
Hi...anyone know a quick way to covert 24v DC back to 24V AC....my switching relay is 24vac coli and using the DC current from the batteries to switch a low voltage water heater circuit....Help !!!

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Convert 24V DC to 24v AC

Either change out the relay for one with a DC coil - - or - - install a 24 volt to 115 volt AC inverter, then connect a 115 volt to 24 volt AC transformer which would then power the AC relay.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Convert 24V DC to 24v AC

You could try installing a ballast resistor to limit current flow in the coil... AC coils tend to draw too much current on DC circuits (no AC Impedance to reduce/control current flow). There can be an issue with DC current magnetizing the moving elements and the coil not releasing (have not tried that test myself).

Otherwise, changing to a DC coil/controlled contactor is probably the best solution.

-Bill

PS: I should add it is not impossible to build an "H Bridge" circuit to change DC to AC current if you like playing with electronics.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset