samlex/cotek inverters

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
hi i am still doing research on inverters to meet my demands .i would like opnions on cotek/samlex inverters because i have seen this one that suits my likings samlex SA-3000 watt pure sine wave inverter 24vdc 120v-ac .what i would like to know how do the samlex or cotek inverters perform with respect to providing the rated power and durability(life span) as compared to xantrex.i have decided not to gamble with a few hundred bucks and go for a decent brand but as i said before i am watching my budget.also i plan on converting my battery bank to 24v so, would also need some help here since Mr.Cariboocoot said its better to use a 3000w inverter with a 24v battery bank.So what i would like to know wold the same batteries i.e 4-upg rated at 200ah at 12v.supply my demands.i usually use about 2.5 kwh.my array usually recharges my battery to full capacity.but if u like to know more about the system i would surely provide the necessary info.my array give me no worries that i cannot solve it just the power requirements the surge watts to be exact.so am just trying to add a suitable inverter to solve this issue.anyone pls help if you can.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: samlex/cotek inverters

what kind of Code requirements do you have to meet?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xantrex has a wide variety of inverters often under the names of the companies they bought out, Xantrex>Prosine, Xantrex>ProWatt, >XPower, >Freedom,... Some have modified sine inverters some have Pure Sine and some both(Ithink).

Xantrex Link.

I have a Prosine 24V, 1800 watt in both of my systems and I have no issues with them, I think the ProSine was originally built for Marine use and I've heard they are hard to work on. The Stand alone inverters have had a good reputation 1000 and 1800 watt, The 3000 2000 inverter chargers had some issues I think. The Prosine runs about 90% effiecency and I think The Samlex run about 85% (and about 1/2 the cost)

Please note that at 3000watts your inverter will draw @ 125 amps at 24 volts, and you'll have a 400Amp Hour battery, so if you spend much time, with that heavy a draw you will have issues, See Peukert's Effect. If you just need the high wattage to start motors that's a different thing...

None of the above inverters will meet code for home installation, though some of the Prosine have the UL1741(?) rating, there is no provision for running conduit to the battery box.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • mahendra

thanks photowhit but i dont run that high loads constantly its just for starting i don't use more than 1800w peak (probably for an hour the most daily)and i normal use only about 200w-500w constantly. because i am off grid i need this inverter to operate power tools and heavy duty washer dryer which all runs on my generac 3000w generator but thats not economical or feasible to run regularly. and i don't have to meet any code requirements but i try to stick to nec.i am located in south america.i take safety seriously if i didnt i would be asking questions.and i prefer a pure sine wave inverter don't need a charger nor do ever like to max out my battery or inverter so again pls help again.
  • mahendra

i am also fully informed about the xantrex inverters i presently have a prowatts sw 2000 pure sine that works well its a pity the don't have a 24v version of that or better yet a 3000w 24/48 volts.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the battery bank is "meeting your needs" now, it should be fine at 24V unless your adding loads.

As I said I'm using the Prosine, we have no inforced codes here, yet.

All the best!
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.