Evergreen Panels; Warranty a safe risk?

James
James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭
Hello folks,
a buddy of mine is considering replacing his mismatched pv array with about 800 watts of the Evergreen panels currently being offered at a slightly lower cost per watt by various on line suppliers.

I thought I read somewhere that while a good panel, there may be some risk regarding warranty due to posssible corporate issues...in other words, they may not survive as a company.

Any new developements that we should be aware of?

Are these panels a safe bet?
Thanks

Comments

• Fatawan
    Fatawan Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    Re: Evergreen Panels; Warranty a safe risk?

See my post just up in the "Evergreen Sucking Wind" thread right below this one. I wouldn't count on any warranty.
  • Frxddy
    Frxddy Solar Expert Posts: 113 ✭✭✭✭

Who has a reliable crystal ball & can tell us what panels to buy that stand a good chance of being here in 25 years? I guess I'm asking for opinions of who you think are long term companies.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

I have 70 of them on my roof, 5 years and no failures

Evergreen will be around, they have the best fab technology available, the stock and bond holders might get the shaft, but the company will continue. Evergreen will probably pull a GM, which still honors there warranties after giving the middle finger to 50 billion in debts.
  • XRinger
    XRinger Solar Expert Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    James wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    a buddy of mine is considering replacing his mismatched pv array
    Thanks

If using Enphase inverters, then mismatched panels are okay..

It seems like using Enphase inverters will allow one to replace any failed
    panels with whatever compatible PV that's available.

So, if there is no warranty 'exact' replacement panel, not a big deal..
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

The great thing about PV module warranties is that the technology is so good and inherently reliable that you don't really need the warranty. The warranty is just an expression of the product's basic reliability. That being said, PV modules are a very competitive market and why buy from a brand that is in trouble when there are so many with no problems to choose from? I notice that Evergreen is selling for a discount of about 10 cents/w below a brand I use all the time. That is about $500 savings on a typical GT system. Not enough of a discount in my opinion to risk distrust from a customer. I may trust the technology, but your average customer needs a good warranty to trust. On the other hand, I bet it will be real interesting to see what companies are still around 25 years from now - so who knows? A $500 in the hand may be worth a warranty in the bush.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    solarix wrote: »
    The great thing about PV module warranties is that the technology is so good and inherently reliable that you don't really need the warranty. The warranty is just an expression of the product's basic reliability.

i disagree. stuff does happen occasionally even to the best companies and that is the reassurance from the company that should something happen that you did not throw away a ton of $. we have seen things like poor solder between cells for instance and things like that need covered. actually, the pv and company is only as good as the warranty and customer service and there are no guarantees that won't change for any company down the line.

as to the deal on the pvs, i think they are discontinuing some of them so i think they probably did that to clear inventories quicker.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I agree that having a warranty and functioning companies can be useful at times--Guy here with 20 brand new panels on my roof and I only had to pay $500 (part of R&R costs for replacement of 5+ year old failing panels).

And a brand new (and slightly higher ratings) current production GT inverter--Working inverter upgraded out-of-warranty--without any requests on my part.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

Evergreen is in serious financial trouble. Even with all their financial gymnastics over the past few years (running to China for help), they are still in a serious cash flow problem at the moment. I suspect that is why they have been liquidating their panels recently in the hopes of off loading inventory and generating some cash flow.

Even with their bleak financial outlook, I took advantage of the lower pricing and ordered 2.1kW of Evergreen panels (10 x 210W) and they arrived this week. I am hoping there will be no warranty issues to worry about.

Edward
  • Peak Solar
    Peak Solar Registered Users Posts: 13
  • John Kimball
    John Kimball Registered Users Posts: 4

We purchased 4 MW of Evergreen ES-A modules for $1.20/ watt and sold them in 4 weeks between $1.30 and $1.59. Evergreen needed to raise cash. Thats all it was. They were all Grade A.

Before we bought them we asked, Alex Keally, our salesman from Evergreen, about the warranty. His reply was that if you compared the number of warranty claims to the total number of modules they've ever produced,that for every MW (4,200 modules) we would need to save just 1/2 a pallet (14 modules) to cover any claims. Tthe largest number of claims were when they were bringing the manufacturing plant up to speed duiring the first year.

We have been in business for 25 years and we also stand behind their 25 year warranty with an additional warranty.

Thank you.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

By the way for clarification, John Kimball is the owner of Sun Electronics out of Florida.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • keyturbocars
    keyturbocars Solar Expert Posts: 375 ✭✭

That's good to know, John.

Just before the big Grade A sale, I bought a set of 10 Evergreen 210W Grade B panels, the Unirac mounting stuff, and a Xantrex XW6048 from you guys. My panels shipped the day before the big Grade A sale was announced. Even though I paid a little more for the Grade B's, I know that I still got a good deal. Just not as amazing as those low prices on the Grade A modules.

I first started working with Louis in your Miami office and then when he was out of the office, Shelley took over helping me out. Shelley really went the extra mile to get my order shipped out and kept me informed. She is a hard worker.

Edward
  • Dapdan
    Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭

Key,

I agree with you there. Shelley is my salesperson and she is a very hard hardworker and she responds to all my emails and I am quite satisfied with the service I get from her. Infact the salesperson I use to deal with before her (leriche) was also a good worker and dependable.

Cheers...
    Damani