Running a pump after battery is charged

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
I have a small solar system in the cabin that I use for some reading lamps and fans.  Most of the time the batteries sit around fully charged and the output of my two panels are just "wasted".  Is there mechanism that can be bought or constructed that, if the batteries are fully charged, a small Shurflo pump I have could be driven to keep my water tank topped off?  I'd only want the pump to run if the battery is full as I have a larger pump we run a couple of times a day to fill up the tank.

I have a ProStar charge controller and two 75w panels.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Running a pump after battery is charged

tad,
    what you describe is a diversion controller. the tristar is a diversion controller as are the c series family of controllers from xantrex like their most popular c40.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks.
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Another solution might be Morningstar's new relay driver . It's primarily designed to work with their TriStar controller, but some of its functions will work with other controllers. A possible application might be to set a relay to turn on after the controller has been in PWM mode voltage for some period (2 hours?) and then turn off when the battery voltage drops below 12.9 V for more than 15 minutes.

Or something like that...

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I went and read about the TriStar and the Xantrex c40. My understanding is that these controllers can be used as a diversion controller OR as the charge controller for your batteries, but not both. So, I guess I'd still use my ProStar as the controller for charging my batteries and use one of those mentioned for controlling the diversion.

I read the data sheet on the relay. I guess I have to send Morningstar a question about what it will work with other than a TriStar.