The SunPlug Plug n’ Play Solar Kit

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
GoGreenSolar.com is proud to present our original product, the SunPlug Plug n’ Play Solar Kit. This all-in-one unit is comprised of a 235 watt solar panel, a micro-inverter, and a racking frame that gives you the option of easily placing the SunPlug on the lawn, deck or anywhere else the sun shines, rather than being permanently installed on the roof. Simply place the kit in the sun (ideally facing South), plug into a standard 110 volt...

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=NFg6W2WHl7M:gZdW_if86bE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=NFg6W2WHl7M:gZdW_if86bE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
NFg6W2WHl7M

More...

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: The SunPlug Plug n’ Play Solar Kit

The generic warnings--Yes, it will work. And depending on your loads and your utility meter, the meter may spin backwards, not move, or even charge you for the 'privilege" of generating your own power.

And there is the whole it may be illegal under your local building code, and most utilities will have the "right" to terminate electrical service to your home if you "go guerrilla" with GT solar. And, depending how it is all installed, can increase the risk of fire/electrocution/lightning or wind damage...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    The generic warnings--Yes, it will work. And depending on your loads and your utility meter, the meter may spin backwards, not move, or even charge you for the 'privilege" of generating your own power.

And there is the whole it may be illegal under your local building code, and most utilities will have the "right" to terminate electrical service to your home if you "go guerrilla" with GT solar. And, depending how it is all installed, can increase the risk of fire/electrocution/lightning or wind damage...

-Bill

Yes, just like the standalone plug-in GTIs from China, this may be legal to sell, but not legal to use. I am appalled that this got the publication status that it did from a ?reputable? source. When Solar Feeds reprints lab result grandstanding, etc. it does not directly hurt anyone, but when they reprint verbatim an entry like this from the manufacturer's own blog they are condoning irresponsible use!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

Doesn't anyone filter this stuff? Having this sort of thing in the mix of articles lowers the credibility of the feed, IMO.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

It is automatically (software) filtered...

I am of mixed opinion here... Let the post stand (until it gets deleted in a couple months--we don't archive RSS feeds), delete the thread in our forum--Or add a post about the issues and move on with life.

Obviously, I did the last and added a quick post on the problems with such a setup. The article is out there anyway--So having something that discusses the down sides of such an installation vs just ignoring it seem the better way to address the original article.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone filter this stuff? Having this sort of thing in the mix of articles lowers the credibility of the feed, IMO.

In general, no. It's an automatic news feed from various sources. If we have to evaluate every one of these posts for accuracy we'd be unpaid full-time editors for dozens of news (and I use the term loosely) agencies. There are some filters set for the worst of it, and every time a known spammer sneaks through he gets deleted, but otherwise it's too impractical to vet every Rss post.

Caveat lector.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    ggunn wrote: »
    There are quite a few filters on the feeds already, but you cannot catch everything. The RSS feed is set to search for a few key words, such as "solar electric" "kyocera solar" etc etc.

Some obvious commercial RSS messages are deleted by the moderators, and from time to time all are purged that are older than 30-60 days or so. We dould turn the RSS feeds off, but enough useful info shows up that I would rather not do so.