Solar Christmas Lights

RedNeckSolarMan
RedNeckSolarMan Solar Expert Posts: 34
Hello everyone, I got a small project of decorating someone's front yard with some multi-color led christmas lights. When we got started, we notice we will be running too many extension cords. So we thought instead using solar power to run the multi-color led christmas lights. Now I have seen you can buy a set online for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72ft-Multi-Color-Solar-Power-200-LED-String-Fairy-Light-Outdoor-Party-Xmas-/160921794855?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4067050237105469477%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D160921794855%26

(used this link as example)

But I thought be cool to build one as learning experience. My question is where can I get hold of a solar panel kit like the one in link I used for example. I can get hold of led lights but having issues finding the solar panel kit. If anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Christmas Lights
    Hello everyone, I got a small project of decorating someone's front yard with some multi-color led christmas lights. When we got started, we notice we will be running too many extension cords. So we thought instead using solar power to run the multi-color led christmas lights. Now I have seen you can buy a set online for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/72ft-Multi-Color-Solar-Power-200-LED-String-Fairy-Light-Outdoor-Party-Xmas-/160921794855?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4067050237105469477%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D160921794855%26

(used this link as example)

But I thought be cool to build one as learning experience. My question is where can I get hold of a solar panel kit like the one in link I used for example. I can get hold of led lights but having issues finding the solar panel kit. If anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks
    That "panel" in the picture actually combines the panel with rechargeable batteries (probably NiCad or LiFePO4) and a charge controller circuit.

You will probably not find that combination as a kit, since the battery and panel size need to be matched to the power needed by the lights. This is probably a parallel wired LED string designed to use low voltage DC rather than the typical 120-volt AC light string.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i agree with inetdog on the arrangement being paralleled leds and the batteries are most likely 2 aa size rechargeables, no doubt underrated for running the lights all night. it may be questionable if the little pv panel will sufficiently keep them charged either.

i can imagine the v drop losses by the time 2.5v tries to get to the far end of that 72ft run. i know low current, but how much you wanna bet they will use #30 wire to get there?:cry:

i would keep the standard 120vac leds lights and just opt to get a longer extension cord that will go the distance you need, but tying a couple extensions together isn't the end of the world if you make a water tight connection or at least protect it some from the elements where they plug into one another. v drop won't be a factor when dealing with 120v at the low current draws of the lights.
  • inetdog
    niel wrote: »
    i would keep the standard 120vac leds lights and just opt to get a longer extension cord that will go the distance you need, but tying a couple extensions together isn't the end of the world if you make a water tight connection or at least protect it some from the elements where they plug into one another. v drop won't be a factor when dealing with 120v at the low current draws of the lights.

I am guessing that you will not need to mow the lawn while the lights are up. And that you are not concerned about any problem of people tripping over the wires. Either of those could tilt the balance toward solar. But it would be neither easy nor cheap.
  • niel

if you trip over extensions then you are even more likely to trip over the lights themselves so mowing the lawn or shoveling snow or whatever is a moot point. you must make allowances and considerations when one puts in something like Christmas lights. the extension cord can also be unplugged and temporarily moved.
  • inetdog
    niel wrote: »
    if you trip over extensions then you are even more likely to trip over the lights themselves

I was thinking of the OP putting the lights on fences and bushes, not leaving them lying on the ground. :-)
  • niel

much of today's decorations are now on the ground too, but that wasn't my point. even for you to mow your lawn, just unplug them and move the extension and/or decorations temporarily.
  • RedNeckSolarMan
    RedNeckSolarMan Solar Expert Posts: 34

Thanks for input, I thought be cool to have solar multi-color christmas lights for my neighbor. I thought making one be good experience, but have to go with plan B. Buy a set and take it apart and see how they make it. Until them, run extension cord, joy.......
  • niel

i know it sounds odd anybody here would say not to go with the solar, but most commercial endevours like this and other solar lights are very poorly made and not meant to last long and that's a big if in if it functions as you want it to. we try to be practical and not just push stuff. if you do get the lights then give us feedback on them with updates from time to time as failures can come a bit later too.